Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 22:53   #1126
BHPian

Re: Td

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Nice detailed write up Sandy.

Well! Pete's box can satiate most of your power needs on the DDiS200, but you have the Creta for a contender.

Wondering how your flowchart looks now?
Well, its a scatter plot now
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-sandy.jpg  

Last edited by sandygordon : 12th August 2015 at 22:55.
sandygordon is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 02:54   #1127
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Had a detailed 4 hour long TD of the S Cross DDiS 200, DDiS 320 and Creta SX(O) CRDi back to back, and here is what I felt. All views presented here are my personal unbiased views and aren't meant to offend any of the prospective or current owners of either vehicles.

1. Looks- The Creta wins hands down. Period!! But, the S-Cross is not boring or ugly looking in any way. It is marketed as a crossover, and is exactly what it is. Unlike the Creta which is a hatchback on heels(more on this in the Handling section). The S-Cross doesn't stand out in the crowd and this is be the biggest deal breaker for 90% of the people who are cancelling the DDiS 320 booking and going the Creta way. Creta appeals strongly to the heart in the first appearance and that is when 50% of the job is done.
S-Cross-***
Creta- ****
But today I had decided that I will evaluate every single parameter before selecting one as my next car purchase.

2. Engine and NVH- I loved the way the S-Cross DDiS 320 behaved on highways and open roads. Stay above 2000rpm and it has more than enough torque to zip past any vehicle ahead of you. Creta obviously lacked this punch, but was adequate. The thing I loved in Creta was its refinement. I was with my family and they absolutely loved the noise insulation of the cabin. Dad commented that inside a cabin it was as refined as a Swift petrol!! S-Cross DDiS 320 had an audible clatter at idle but it was nowhere as bad as the Vento Diesel. NVH was palatable, not a deal breaker at all. The horrible JK Elanzo is also to be blamed-at 90kmph, approx 70% noise coming on the cemented road was the tyre noise. The Bridgestones on the Creta were superb in this regard.
When in the non-turbo zone, both cars felt as good or as bad as each other. The turbo-lag feeling in the S-Cross gets amplified because turbo kicks in hard compared to Creta, which happens in a very linear way.
Personally concerned, I loved the DDiS 320 more than the Hyundai's engine. The turbo kick is addictive, and I can happily sacrifice a bit of NVH for that smile which S-Cross brings to my face.
S-Cross-*****
Creta-****

3. Ride- At lower speeds, the Creta masks the road imperfections flawlessly. That's when majority of the TD's happen. But go any faster and the ride becomes bouncy and I dare say, a bit wallowy. The S-Cross feels a tad stiffer at lower speeds but above 40kmph and beyond, it irons out anything and everything and rides F-L-A-T. To be honest, I always loved the ride of the D-Segment European sedans, but could never consider them due to the horrible service in our city, but here, in S-Cross, I am getting that ride along with the Maruti peace of mind. The best of both worlds!!
S-Cross-*****
Creta- ***

4. Handling- As I was pushing the Creta north of 80kmph on a slightly curvy section of road, I was dreading the infamous Hyundai's boat ride quality. I almost vowed never to drive one after I drove the pre-facelift Verna in 2013. But here, I was in for a big surprise. I guess Creta is the best handling Hyundai after the Elite i20, despite its height and soft-suspension. Impressed!!! Steering was disappointing and was slightly numb, but was far better than the Verna's unit.
But, the S-Cross had me floored. I think it handles with more poise than even the legendary Swift!! Every time I went through a corner, it begged to go faster. And this was happening with those horrible squeal-happy JK's. I can only imagine what it is capable of with some better rubber. Steering response, though not as good as the Europeans, was still leagues ahead of the Creta.
S-Cross-*****
Creta- ****

5. Interiors & practicality- I am a fan of black interiors and absolutely loathe the overdose of beige. None of the cars here feature an overdose of beige here. Fortunately enough, manufactures are understanding this and Hyundai came out with the Elantra and now Maruti gives a nice and sporty black interiors with the S-Cross. The design of the Creta feels more complicated and edgy while S-Cross keeps it simple yet elegant. The S-Cross lost some points here with the absence of the rear ac vents whereas the absence of the telescopic adjustment on the Creta resulted in not so perfect position for me.
But where the Creta deal was closed for me, was in its rear space. After setting the driving position according to my preferences, I didn't have any space left behind. After owning some seriously cramped cars like the Swift, or my daily driver a 800, I don't want my passengers to complain when they are seated behind me. These complaints are justified when they are made in the 3 lac rupee hatchback, but not after spending 15 big ones!! Also I found the headline touching my head when I was seated in the rear seat. For reference I am 6ft 1 inch tall.
No such problems in the S-Cross. While headroom in the back was just about adequate for me, legroom was generous and with the driver seat set according to my position, I still had 2 inches of space left.
Also my mom felt claustrophobic in the Creta's rear, while S-Cross was a wee bit better in that regard. I believe the upward rising window line in the Creta is to be blamed here.
I would advise prospective members to check out these things specially if you have tall members in the family.
S-Cross-****
Creta- ***

Pricing- The Creta top-end SX(o) retails for 14.6 lacs OTR Ranchi whereas the S-Cross 1.6 Alpha comes at 14.8 Lacs OTR Ranchi(with a good 25k discount). But if I buy S-Cross, I will need to invest atleast 60 thousand rupees for better rubber and alloys. So that takes the OTR pricing of S-Cross to Rs.15.4 lacs.
I can consider the Zeta 1.6, but our family has a policy-For any product, go for the top-most model. Or else buy another car from a lower segment!! But it has to always be the top-end fully loaded version, so that no qualms are left for future pondering.
Prices aside, the 1.6L S-Cross is THE car we would like to have, the thought of "WHAT Society thinks" be damned!!
For now, we are left with the only options of increasing our budget. Initially we had fixed an upper limit of 13 lacs OTR, atleast that's what the RM had promised.

A special mention of the 1.3 DDiS- My parents would have bought the 1.3 Alpha, but the 1.6L has left us speechless. The 1.3L has no kick(Sorry if I am sounding like Salman Khan), but is more than adequate for every practical purpose. You will never feel that its underpowered,NEVER!! The 1.3 Alpha is 3 lacs cheaper with similar levels of kit, and with the refinement, relaxed nature and the better mileage, makes for a strong proposition.

For now, its a battle of head(1.3) vs the heart(1.6) as far as I am concerned.

Regards
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 13th August 2015 at 03:05.
Leoshashi is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 05:38   #1128
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Had a detailed 4 hour long TD of the S Cross DDiS 200, DDiS 320 and Creta SX(O) CRDi back to back, and here is what I felt. All views presented here are my personal unbiased views and aren't meant to offend any of the prospective or current owners of either vehicles.
A special mention of the 1.3 DDiS- My parents would have bought the 1.3 Alpha, but the 1.6L has left us speechless. The 1.3L has no kick(Sorry if I am sounding like Salman Khan), but is more than adequate for every practical purpose. You will never feel that its underpowered,NEVER!! The 1.3 Alpha is 3 lacs cheaper with similar levels of kit, and with the refinement, relaxed nature and the better mileage, makes for a strong proposition.

Regards
Shashi

A nice review.No guff. Only fact. I also agree that the Creta is more spacious and more SUV-like. But even for me, the S Cross would win this battle largely on account of the engine, the handling across terrain and the braking with all 4 Discs.
The Hyundai Creta scores in the Options and Features department though.

The Indian mentality is well exemplified by the runaway sales of the Creta vis a vis the S Cross.

This is why the S Cross ought to have offered all that the Creta does in their (SX+ (O) version, by creating a Top Spec Alpha Plus Version which could have had 6 Airbags, all the gizmos and an option of AT as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
I have different view for those who actually have enough money and want to spend that 3 L, just buy a 3 year old, run less than 30 k kms X1! There is no comparison in any aspect, far more superior car.
The thing to remember is that most people buy cars using bank loans and these loans are way cheaper for new cars than for used ones.
Left to myself, I saw a nice Mini Countryman (D) the other day at about 29 Lacs. Apparently the owner will let it go for 27.5.
Saying that, even if I chuck my Yeti, I will probably get 13 lacs and will need to find another 14.5 lacs to pay for the Countryman. If I take a loan, I will have to pay 15% interest which is downright evil! Yes, the previous owner has only done 8000 kms and has also taken the huge depreciation hit as well.
But somehow, I can't bring myself to take a car loan for an used car and given my financial commitments, there is no way I am going to or indeed, going to be able to put such large cash down for the outright purchase of an used car.
I might consider it one day if a Mini Cooper S presents itself, but these are rare birds indeed!
For now, I am wearing my belt quite tight and quietly enjoying my 4 year old Yeti!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th August 2015 at 06:51. Reason: Back to back posts merged
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 07:13   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
I cancelled my booking for 1.6 Alpha yesterday for obvious reasons. 1.3 did not make sense to me personally. Especially having driven the same engine (albeit with less power) on my Swift VDI from last 6yrs.
Lesson learnt: never pre-book a car before launching
I learnt the lesson twice with the Jazz and Scross 1.6

However I might go for the 1.3 Zeta since my wife liked the car for following reasons:
  • View from the driver's seat
  • Light steering but not as dead as the i20
  • Roomy interior
  • Light clutch
And she will be driving the car most of the time.
thiyags22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 07:15   #1130
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I hope you did the exact same route on your TD of both the DDiS 200 and 320.

In case you didn't, why not check the DDiS 200 again for it's highway manners ? Also, if this one is better in the city, it might just be that sweet spot in the middle as compared to a struggle with 320 in the city.

Assuming you get the DDiS 200 Alpha you will still have made a good decision, just my 2 cents
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 07:28   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
For me its between the 1.3 Alpha/Zeta vs Creta SX/SX+
My drives will be 70% in the city and 30% on highways
I wont prefer 'a kick' with a three year old all over the back seat during highway runs. I would rather prefer a car which can excite me during my solo office runs. Had the 1.6 been strong in the lower revs with a sub 10 second 0-100 timings (the price asks for it), it would have been easy to consider it. May be a remap can fix the issue, but I would prefer an RD box on the 1.3 rather.

Any idea as to what an RD box can do to a 1.6CRDI on Creta. No one is speaking about it.
Old 13th August 2015, 07:36   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
For me its between the 1.3 Alpha/Zeta vs Creta SX/SX+
My drives will be 70% in the city and 30% on highways
I wont prefer 'a kick' with a three year old all over the back seat during highway runs. I would rather prefer a car which can excite me during my solo office runs. Had the 1.6 been strong in the lower revs with a sub 10 second 0-100 timings (the price asks for it), it would have been easy to consider it. May be a remap can fix the issue, but I would prefer an RD box on the 1.3 rather.

Any idea as to what an RD box can do to a 1.6CRDI on Creta. No one is speaking about it.
Is it not possible to get used to engine characteristics so that the kick is not amplified every time one drives?

No body speaks of a RD on Creta because no one knows if the Hyundai can 'handle' it

Just Kidding. Personally for me DDIS 320 would be the only SCross I would buy. Just wishing if Maruti had got that 1.6 petrol engine too under the hood. That would have been sweet.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 09:59   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Are we gonna see the Baleno effect happening ? Looks like a mod friendly car too. How many are waiting for preowned ones already?

Discount of 25k even before its on our roads?
Old 13th August 2015, 11:34   #1134
YCJ
BHPian

Had a look at the S Cross. I didn't like the looks. Looks like a hatchback on steroids.

But must say that this car has tough build unlike any other Maruti product.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th August 2015 at 11:38. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Edit button when posting within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 13th August 2015, 12:10   #1135
Distinguished - BHPian

The 1.3 Zeta has good equipment levels and considering that the HIDs will be available later, I don't see it missing out a lot. I would have been very happy if they had not given alloys in Zeta. That would have got rid of problem of selling off the OEM alloys.

The local newspaper has carried a full 2 page advertisement of S-Cross and Nexa although the nearest dealership for me is over 500kms (Ranchi on one side, Lucknow on other.). So if at all I get to do a TD on my next visit to Gurgaon, I might think over this also.

There are many people who have remapped/ used tuning boxes for the national engine (1.3 multi jet from Fiat). How good or bad is it? Will it not be right to go for a 1.3 Zeta and then later go for a remap after a gap of about say 2 years? What peak figures without a damage to engine can be extracted from the DDiS 200? If I buy this, I intend to keep it for 5-6 years minimum.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 13th August 2015 at 12:12.
Old 13th August 2015, 15:48   #1136
BHPian

Couple of thoughts.
A lot of discussions on the looks of S-Cross. I too agree to the fact it will not win any beauty pageants. However i am not sure how many of us will still spend some time looking at our cars and enjoy its beauty say after 2 years. That is the time when the thoughts about maintenance costs, resale value etc kicks in. I think that's the sole reason why all other car manufactures still find it difficult to come close to Maruti sales figures.

On DDiS 320, someone please tell me who convinced Maruti to come out with such a torque monster. Torque to weight ratio is simply mind blowing. Coupled with excellent highway behavior, i am sure to see lots of DDiS 320 tail lamps on the highways .

On Pricing, I think the premium pricing of the top end models will now let buyers include cars like Duster and Terrano in their list as they too sound like value for money propositions. Maruti should have given this engine to Ciaz (a gem of a car) and have gone for a spec of something like 110hp/250NM engine.
Old 13th August 2015, 17:01   #1137
BHPian

Saw S-Cross in all the colors available at a Nexa showroom (one on Museum Road, Bangalore). Also saw Creta in white and silver. S-Cross does not warrant a 2nd look from my point of view. Creta does, but it looks overdone to me. Too much chrome, too big a grille for a smaller SUV; Flashy, yes; elegant, no. I kind of liked S-Cross better.

Just the personal taste, I guess

But 17+ Lakhs OTR in Bangalore is a bummer...
Old 13th August 2015, 17:14   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post

There are many people who have remapped/ used tuning boxes for the national engine (1.3 multi jet from Fiat). How good or bad is it? Will it not be right to go for a 1.3 Zeta and then later go for a remap after a gap of about say 2 years? What peak figures without a damage to engine can be extracted from the DDiS 200? If I buy this, I intend to keep it for 5-6 years minimum.
Though the remaps and tuning boxes improves the power (specially the mid), I have never liked the noise levels of this engine at the higher rpm. Even without tuning box or remap, a stock Linea can keep on munching miles at high speeds. But you will never like the sound of it. Best is at 2500 rpm.

That is where the brilliance of the powertrain in Ciaz and hopefully the S-Cross. They claim to have done a significant work to reduce the internal frictions which improves the overall refinement and also the power transmission (from flywheel to front wheels). Otherwise, how could Ciaz, even with its light weight, but not lighter than Swift, do a 0-100 in sub 12s?

So, I believe that if you can live with the slower acceleration of the heavier S-Cross, you will never feel disappointed on the highways, because there is enough power to keep pace with the fastest on the highways (trust me as an owner of Linea for six and a half years who drives 80% on highway and 20% in city). In my case, it is the ability to take average roads with speeds and confident handling that helps. S-Cross will additionally have the refined engine that will not bother you at higher rpm.

I'm planning to test-drive the 200 next week. But my experience of Ciaz tells me that S-Cross is going to be a refined one. Don't compare it with the Ertiga.

Last edited by ampere : 13th August 2015 at 17:20. Reason: removed high speed mentions
opendro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 17:21   #1139
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
S-Cross does not warrant a 2nd look from my point of view. Creta does, but it looks overdone to me. Too much chrome, too big a grille for a smaller SUV; Flashy, yes; elegant, no.
Agree with you. Creta is too flashy, and not elegant. SCross is just the opposite. If Creta tried to be a bigger Swift, even then, the Swift is flashy, but it is elegant as well.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 17:27   #1140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Though the remaps and tuning boxes improves the power (specially the mid), I have never liked the noise levels of this engine at the higher rpm. Even without tuning box or remap, a stock Linea can keep on munching miles at 160+ kmph. But you will never like the sound of it. Best is at 2500 rpm.

That is where the brilliance of the powertrain in Ciaz and hopefully the S-Cross. They claim to have done a significant work to reduce the internal frictions which improves the overall refinement and also the power transmission (from flywheel to front wheels). Otherwise, how could Ciaz, even with its light weight, but not lighter than Swift, do a 0-100 in sub 12s?

I believe there is a significant difference in the way engines sound in FIAT versus Maruti. Despite being the same engines, Fiats always sound more boomy than Maruti cars.

Case in point take Swift and Punto 75 hp. Essentially the same engines, but while you hear a hint of clatter more in Swift at lower rpms compared to Punto, the Fiat becomes much more boomy than swift as rpms climb. This automatically means Marutis are more refined than Fiats.

Regarding Ciaz being faster than Swift despite the higher weight, do not also forget the fact that it has 15 more horses too under the hood. Also, Swift with a 75 Hp version of Mjd is faster off the block than a Punto with 90 Hp. This is not just due to the light weight also the way Maruti has tuned the engines along with the absolutely crappy gearbox on Fiats. It is natural to expect Ciaz being faster than Linea as well as Swift.

BTW the sub 12 sec timings I believe is for the petrol version of Ciaz, not the Diesel.

However I believe a car like S Cross needs the 1.6 DDIS. 1.3 will not do any justice to the reported handling capabilities of this car and will keep one wanting for more.

Last edited by vibbs : 13th August 2015 at 17:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks