Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2015, 19:18   #1276
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

The response to S-Cross 1.6 in our city is mind blowing. Went there to book a car (1.3 Zeta) for a close friend. I had a look at the number of deliveries made till date, it was mind boggling!!
1. Total 7 1.6 S-Cross are already on roads. Out of them 5 were Alpha while 2 Zeta
2. Total 9 1.3 Alphas and 6 Zetas have been delivered till date. Ours was the 18th 1.3 in the booking list. Expected date of delivery- October 2015.

The response to variants, specially 1.6 is something which we hadn't anticipated.
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 19:50   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Did you TD the car and hence the comment ? or just going by seeing the spec on paper, just like many here with such comments.

OT- Never meant to thank you, but pressed the button by mistake

I was doing a back2back test drive of Jazz, Polo and then went to the Nexa showroom. Saw the car, saw the pricelist and walked out of the showroom for a dead on arrival product.
Old 18th August 2015, 20:47   #1278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
I was doing a back2back test drive of Jazz, Polo and then went to the Nexa showroom. Saw the car, saw the pricelist and walked out of the showroom for a dead on arrival product.
As someone who had fixed on the Jazz and waited for over a year, I see more value in the S-Cross DDiS 200 Zeta / Alpha than the Jazz iDTEC V / VX. Yes, this is after experiencing both cars in person for a decent amount of time. Of course, different people - different perspective. I am not saying that your judgement was wrong - but different people look for different things in a car S-Cross did not appeal to you but appealed to a lot others including myself.

And something to be noted - S-Cross is definitely not a dead on arrival product. In fact I have seen more S-Crosses on road than new Jazzs. For its price S-Cross will do pretty well at least in the initial period - so based on what I see, it is not dead on arrival. Only request to you is, please do not pass on your judgement as a general verdict - might not always be true.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 21:05   #1279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
As someone who had fixed on the Jazz and waited for over a year, I see more value in the S-Cross DDiS 200 Zeta / Alpha .
...which means that you should have a re-look at your avatar

The SA at Nexus Dwarka told me that he has 50 confirmed bookings of S-Cross, out of which 15 are for DDiS320.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 21:06   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
As someone who had fixed on the Jazz and waited for over a year, I see more value in the S-Cross DDiS 200 Zeta / Alpha than the Jazz iDTEC V / VX. Yes, this is after experiencing both cars in person for a decent amount of time.

Only request to you is, please do not pass on your judgement as a general verdict - might not always be true.
Exactly the same with me - was following the Jazz since months and clearly found the S-Cross superior on most counts, all for less than a lakh and half rupees.

I agree that its OK to share experiences, impressions and opinions, but it's better when backed by experience (read at least a TD) rather than prejudice.

And yes, haven't sighted a single Jazz on the road, while the SA is following up despite my cancellation.

Last edited by pannags : 18th August 2015 at 21:08. Reason: Added content
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 21:13   #1281
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Exactly the same with me - was following the Jazz since months and clearly found the S-Cross superior on most counts, all for less than a lakh and half rupees.

I agree that its OK to share experiences, impressions and opinions, but it's better when backed by experience (read at least a TD) rather than prejudice.

And yes, haven't sighted a single Jazz on the road, while the SA is following up despite my cancellation.
Oh. Conversely I ve seen about 5 new Jazz's on the roads. However, I ve only seen TD S Cross's so far!

Saying that each of these is meant for a different audience and I guess if either doesn't sell much, it is only a matter of time before they pull them out.
Old 18th August 2015, 21:23   #1282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post

Quote:
And something to be noted - S-Cross is definitely not a dead on arrival product. In fact I have seen more S-Crosses on road than new Jazzs. For its price S-Cross will do pretty well at least in the initial period - so based on what I see, it is not dead on arrival. Only request to you is, please do not pass on your judgement as a general verdict - might not always be true.
Guys come on!!

Maybe its a bangalore thingy that you ve not seen any Jazzes on road? Or probably you are looking elsewhere when a Jazz passes by

Oh and by the way, jazz was the 10th largest selling car last month going by dealer despatches. I know these are early days but its a little hard to believe that none of those 6k despatches last month were in Bangalore.

Frankly can't we just leave it at that the two cars are meant for different set of people? Its Ok if you did not like Jazz just like its ok if someone didn't like SCross.

Last edited by vibbs : 18th August 2015 at 21:25.
Old 18th August 2015, 21:36   #1283
BHPian

Color selection

Seems like the Nexa ppl are reading the tbhp posts.
Went for zeroing the colour.
Got a warm welcome. Went to the yard to see the colors. Browns are selling well here. White, greys and silver comes next. I was impressed with the white as well. The chrome becomes subtle on the white and hence it looks good. White and silver are the colours that show the real bulk of the car. Browns and blues apparently look smaller. Grey looks altogether a different vehicle as the cladding is less obvious. (See the pics for reference).

Another point I noted was that the ordinary headlamps make the look more masculine than the OEM projector ones. Compare the white ones in the picture below. A good aftermarket projector with a DRL along the curved line of the regular headlamp would make it a stunner, more masculine than the feline look of the OEM projector headlamp assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-white-vs-silver.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-silver.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-whites.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-grey.jpg  

sandygordon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 22:40   #1284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
...which means that you should have a re-look at your avatar
Haha. Yes Eddy, I am not changing that even though I am tempted to. Will wait till I finally make the purchase. In fact I still love the Jazz as a car - still one of the best hatchbacks in India - only that it does not offer enough value for the money its demanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Maybe its a bangalore thingy that you ve not seen any Jazzes on road? Or probably you are looking elsewhere when a Jazz passes by
May be it is a Bangalore thingy or there are not many Jazzs in the area I live. But, I seriously have seen only one Jazz on road till date (excluding TD vehicles) - I know it is early days and you never know how the table will tilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Frankly can't we just leave it at that the two cars are meant for different set of people? Its Ok if you did not like Jazz just like its ok if someone didn't like SCross.
Hey No Vibbs, I never said I did not like Jazz - I still love it as a car and I yearn to see one on the road. My heart still skips a beat when I see a Jazz. It is like seeing your ex-girlfriend, your first love, pass by - whom you still love but have broken up just because you know it is not going to work out.

I believe that there will be a lot of cross shopping between S-Cross DDiS 200 and Jazz as both provide similar space - both interior and boot. Both have decent and similarly powered engines and are both HUGE hatchbacks. While S-Cross offers a lot of features compared to Jazz. Jazz offers a lot of practicality and also a petrol and CVT option. I am sure a lot of buyers considering Jazz will give S-Cross a look and the vice versa might also be true.
Vigkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 03:11   #1285
Senior - BHPian

I guess what ought to be said is that the Honda Jazz comes in decent petrol and diesel offerings, and is an overall very practical, spacious hatch but for those looking for a diesel and who don't mind stretching a bit, the S-Cross is well worth the extra money since it offers more features, ability to tackle rough roads, a planted ride, and better build Entire argument is pointless if you're someone who wants an automatic though

Last edited by IshaanIan : 19th August 2015 at 03:13.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 05:29   #1286
Team-BHP Support

Small comparison between the two hot models in discussion above -

Very tough to justify the S-Cross DDiS 200 Delta at 9.15L ex-showroom in itself as a decent competition for the Jazz VX MT diesel at 8.59L ex-showroom. You get a much bigger car, almost similar performance, better build quality and solid driving dynamics. Yes - you do loose out on a few features like reverse camera (but sensors are present), rear wash-wipe, alloy wheels, electric fold ORVMs (electric adjust is present though), ACC, cruise control and touch screen infotainment system. More features / more car for the money is the decision to make here.

Delta is not the base variant of the S-Cross. The sigma variants starts at 8.7L ex-showroom but has been left out in this comparison for obvious reasons.

IMO, the S-Cross DDiS 200 Zeta at 9.9L ex-showroom in itself is a good upgrade over the Jazz VX MT diesel at 8.59L ex-showroom. You pay 1.4L more, but get a whole lot more car and goodies in return.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-jazz1.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-jazz2.jpg

Space comparisons from team-bhp official review pictures -

Jazz -
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-2015hondajazz02.jpg

S-Cross -
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-marutiscross03.jpg

PS - Jazz enjoys the sub-4m compact hatch tax reductions as well, when compared to S-Cross.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th August 2015 at 05:35.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 07:00   #1287
BHPian

I was fiddling around on car compare app when i decided to compare the specifications of SX4 hatch (S Cross) and the VW Golf 1.6 . Quite interesting figures actually! It seems an equal match and I guess we owe Suzuki some more respect.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-screenshot_20150819065329.png  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-screenshot_20150819065338.png  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-screenshot_20150819065344.png  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-screenshot_20150819065355.png  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-screenshot_20150819065402.png  

Last edited by sunsetorange : 19th August 2015 at 07:03.
sunsetorange is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 07:50   #1288
Senior - BHPian

@CD nice comparo there. The new Jazz was never my favourite. Infact I would pick elite i20 over it. However, I would like to point out that when Jazz was launched, general consensus was that it was overpriced. Now we are comparing another car over 1.4 lakh more expensive and saying it offers more value.

Anyways the point of selecting more features vs more car for the same price is always there whenever you compare cars across segments. Nothing new there.

Well I ve not researched extensively on Jazz and am depending entirely on what you have posted. And looking at that, I would frame a question to all new car buyers.

How much more are you willing to pay for, all four disk brakes, height adjustable seat belts, telescopic steering, engine start stop button, driver side vanity mirror, front and rear armrest, vanity mirror lamps, two additional speakers, foldable keyfob, better dynamics, better build, slightly more space, high ground clearance and a more refined engine (additional features on SCross zeta versus Jazz VXMT). Out of this how much will you deduct for Magic seats, leather wrapped steering and six speed transmission and better drivability in city( additional features in Jazz). I am not adding the snob of Honda because I believe the brand is now diluted in India.

If you can stretch 1.4 lakh, it might be worth but that is true for every comparison that straddles two segment.
Old 19th August 2015, 09:12   #1289
Senior - BHPian

Well, I don't think many people looking at the Jazz will go for S-cross simply because of the budget.

For people looking at petrol or automatic which constitutes 60% of the demand for Jazz, S-cross i anyway not in the picture.

Out of the 40% of the diesel demand, what's the demand for the top-end VX variant? say, 20%. (For other variants - price difference becomes too much). So, we are talking of 8-10% people buying the Jazz will consider the Diesel VX. Now, among them, may be 20-25% have the budget to spend 1.5-2L more (on road price) to get the S-cross Zeta. So, we are looking at a mere 2% of people considering Jazz might opt for S-cross. That's hardly an impact I would say.

It's true that the Jazz has a unique value proposition because it offers interior space and boot space similar to bigger cars and therefore can come in comparisons and cross-shopping with the big boys (also, the diesel one having the same engine and 6 speed gearbox as the City is an advantage)
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 10:07   #1290

I test rode the Jazz petrol top variant and found the suspension to be too stiff/hard especially at low speeds. I also found the low speed power/torque to be lacking enough punch for negotiating Delhi NCR's notorious peak-time traffic. I also read a few reviews on Jazz car complaints for variants sold elsewhere in US/Europe and was surprised to find very strong comments about the poor quality of seats (too hard, causing pain and discomfort during or after long drives), that the angle of the front head rests was too forward jutting into the head/upper neck causing you to drive in a non-upright neck position causing the pain.

I had booked a Jazz back in June based upon my research done on the web, but ended up canceling it (am yet to receive my refund even after 2 weeks) due to the above.

I have studied Team-BHP's reviews of the Jazz as well as Elite i20 and the S-Cross. I am now pretty confused and could do with some sound advice. If my monthly drive is 1200 km mostly on bad, pot hole and speed breaker ridden roads, long highway drives perhaps 2-3 times a year, a requirement of good rear seat space and legroom, overall cost of maintenance and ride comfort a key consideration; which car would be a better choice.

Most Viewed