Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2015, 22:49   #1336
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tyre experts, need advice on changing of stock tyres of JK Elanzo 205/60 R16 as alternate.
Which of the below three are best suited for city drive (99.9%)?

1. Good Year
2. Michelin
3. Bridgestone

Thanks,
Personally, for a city drive vehicle, I wouldn't even change the tyres. But if you need silent tyres, look at soft compound tyres from these brands please. For sure, Michelin will be the costliest. Not sure about the availability, I personally was quite impressed about the MRF Z.L.O as well. Extremely worthy for a comfortable / silent ride.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd August 2015 at 22:54.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 06:47   #1337
BHPian

Will damping of doors improve nvh levels?(diesel clatter). I will be going for tyres and ice as first set of mods. The alloys are slowly growing on me. I feel that thinner spokes of alloys would make the 16 inchers look puny. Anyway side profile of the car is boring. Will be changing the alloys along with planned performance mods (remap or RD box).

Can someone suggest a good place for speaker and amp installation in Cochin. Had my bull audio in my dzire six years back from Emperor. Also if I am not going for a sub, is there any component speaker that can provide some tight bass (jbl s are too bright for me). Which one would be better for bass? Infinity or rockford fosgate punch? Any idea about JBL s gx series amps? Are they as good as the gto s?
Old 23rd August 2015, 08:03   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tyre experts, need advice on changing of stock tyres of JK Elanzo 205/60 R16 as alternate.
Which of the below three are best suited for city drive (99.9%)?

1. Good Year
2. Michelin
3. Bridgestone

Thanks,
Hey volkman10

If budget permits, go for Michelin P3ST or look for Yokohama AVS DB series. Great comfort, silent tyres with good grip. It'll compliment the S cross well.

I am not sure about the pricing on Yokos but they would be cheaper than P3STs. The latter would cost you around 9500 per tyre.

You can go through my feedback on the P3ST thread and decide if it suits your needs.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Will damping of doors improve nvh levels?(diesel clatter). I will be going for tyres and ice as first set of mods. The alloys are slowly growing on me. I feel that thinner spokes of alloys would make the 16 inchers look puny. Anyway side profile of the car is boring. Will be changing the alloys along with planned performance mods (remap or RD box).

Can someone suggest a good place for speaker and amp installation in Cochin. Had my bull audio in my dzire six years back from Emperor. Also if I am not going for a sub, is there any component speaker that can provide some tight bass (jbl s are too bright for me). Which one would be better for bass? Infinity or rockford fosgate punch? Any idea about JBL s gx series amps? Are they as good as the gto s?

Hey sandygordon

Damping the doors definitely helps reducing NVH levels. In your case you should definitely go ahead with it since you plan to upgrade the ICE as well. A good set of components will only sound good if the doors are properly damped to reduce the resonance effect.

Component speakers obviously cannot match the bass output of a subwoofer or for that matter of a coaxial 6x9 speaker.

With the ICE upgrade, there's literally no end to it. You can proceed step by step instead of installing the entire system together. It gives you a better idea as to how the SQ is upgrading and what needs to be done next.

I have 6.5" infinity reference components and 6.5" infinity reference co-axials in my SX4. The bass is pretty tight and does the job quite well.

Audition a few brands, speakers are very personal since everyone has a different preference and tolerance to treble, mid and bass.

You can put a good set of components in the front and with S cross coming with a parcel tray, you can put a good set of co-axial 6x9 speakers. That will give you a good punch and it'll complement to the overall sound of the system.

In the next phase you can look at upgrading the system with an amp and if you feel the bass lacks, then go in for a sub-woofer.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd August 2015 at 08:58. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 23rd August 2015, 09:27   #1339
BHPian

Guys, I finally got my booking amount back. The RM deposited the cheque directly into my account. Though it was slightly delayed, RM Deepu was really helpful.
nurni76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 11:16   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
Will damping of doors improve nvh levels?(diesel clatter)
Yes, definitely. The following two things helped me a lot to improve NVH in my Liva diesel during 2012:

1. Damped all the four doors with "Noisekill" damping material. I wanted to go for dynamite extreme, but did not have a ready stock here. Less noise from passing vehicles, better audio quality even from stock speakers, each door weight increased by about 1.5kg. Total cost was Rs. 5500/- for all 4 doors at that time.

2. Lamination on the whole floor with thick laminates. This is exactly not a branded daming material, but works quite good. The immediate effect is much lesser road noise. Its now so easy to clean the floor of the car now due to lamination. Total cost: Rs. 3250/-. With a better budget, one can go for "Dampmat" kind of product, which will be even more effective and cost about Rs. 9000/-.
sups is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 14:37   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yup damping will help, while you're at it you can even look into damping the floor along with a change in tyres to Yoko Decibels or Michelin Primacys, this ought to result in a nice wafty ride RF speakers are really good, you could even check out Morel, but it is always good to pair them up with a sub, good wiring, good amps, and most importantly the best installation
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 23:37   #1342
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Exteriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
I hope the Silver doesn't come anywhere close. I've seen both together and the Silver looked much better, but that was already late in the evening.
Here's a snap of the silver one in the show room. It looks good. In evenings with a dull sky, white looks better IMO. In dull lighting premium silver has lots of grey overtones.

Attached is a snap of silver one in the show room.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-silver.jpg  

sandygordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 01:50   #1343
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a silver S-Cross on road today. Just another vehicle. Unfortunately this looks old / normal already. Had seen a competitor vehicle in red too, that looked lovely & eye catchy even from a 100 ft distance.

Sadly, another competent vehicle from Maruti will bite the dust soon is what I think. Had they priced it better initially & increased the prices based on demand rather than such an atrocious introductory price.

Edit: May be, people (including me) will line up for the pre-worshipped rare pieces after 5 years!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th August 2015 at 01:52.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 06:20   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Saw a silver S-Cross on road today. Just another vehicle. Unfortunately this looks old / normal already. Had seen a competitor vehicle in red too, that looked lovely & eye catchy even from a 100 ft distance.

Sadly, another competent vehicle from Maruti will bite the dust soon is what I think. Had they priced it better initially & increased the prices based on demand rather than such an atrocious introductory price.

Edit: May be, people (including me) will line up for the pre-worshipped rare pieces after 5 years!
The 1.6 sure is going no where. My be the 1.3 alpha as well, as it is dangerously close to Creta 1.6 SX. But the 1.3 Zeta is going to sell in good numbers, say in Estilo / Ritz numbers. Looks plane jane, but drives well. I took the TD of the Creta twice last week. I will be more comfortable on a highway at 90-100 kmph in an s cross than in a Hyundai any day. I feel the crowd and a bulk of enthusiasts will surely go ahead with the creta. Cretas will be plying the roads like current dusters.

Back in 2009 when I bought the Dzire, it was an eyesore for many. Many of my friends who took the linea then were infact ridiculing me for buying a bulb-butt car.(Everyone of them got a bad experience at Fiat service). After 6 years, when those 'linea' friends have already sold off their Italian beauties for newer ones I am still clinging on to my car which is giving me excellent resale. I dont expect the S Cross to give a similar resale 3-4 years down the line. Hyundai with its better after sales service has a winner in the Creta.

Somehow I could not connect with a Creta. I felt too high up and nervous while driving it. My family had a tough time while trying to get in the back seat. My wife never found a good driving position. My son had to be lifted in to the back seat. Lack of avn system, reverse cam and keyless go in a 14 L car also put me off (SX model). Lack of features wont be an issue for majority of public as I see more than 50% of Dusters in Cochin are RXE 85 ps. Many of my colleagues have gone ahead and booked the creta. Its with a heavy heart that I have decided against the Creta and 1.6 S cross.

S cross looks and feels better on the inside and Creta looks stunning from the outside. Thats what I will be doing. Enjoying the S cross interiors while appreciating the Creta's beauty on the roads. Maruti could have done better with the looks, but as they say you dont get everything in one car. (Ever heard the story of sour grapes). Hoping the owning experience of the 1.3 to be nice. Zeroing on the S cross 1.3 alpha has been more of a head over heart thing. Waiting for the ownership experience for the heart factor to come up.
sandygordon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 08:29   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
The 1.6 sure is going no where. My be the 1.3 alpha as well, as it is dangerously close to Creta 1.6 SX. But the 1.3 Zeta is going to sell in good numbers, say in Estilo / Ritz numbers. Looks plane jane, but drives well. I took the TD of the Creta twice last week. I will be more comfortable on a highway at 90-100 kmph in an s cross than in a Hyundai any day. I feel the crowd and a bulk of enthusiasts will surely go ahead with the creta. Cretas will be plying the roads like current dusters.

Back in 2009 when I bought the Dzire, it was an eyesore for many. Many of my friends who took the linea then were infact ridiculing me for buying a bulb-butt car.(Everyone of them got a bad experience at Fiat service). After 6 years, when those 'linea' friends have already sold off their Italian beauties for newer ones I am still clinging on to my car which is giving me excellent resale. I dont expect the S Cross to give a similar resale 3-4 years down the line. Hyundai with its better after sales service has a winner in the Creta.

Somehow I could not connect with a Creta. I felt too high up and nervous while driving it. My family had a tough time while trying to get in the back seat. My wife never found a good driving position. My son had to be lifted in to the back seat. Lack of avn system, reverse cam and keyless go in a 14 L car also put me off (SX model). Lack of features wont be an issue for majority of public as I see more than 50% of Dusters in Cochin are RXE 85 ps. Many of my colleagues have gone ahead and booked the creta. Its with a heavy heart that I have decided against the Creta and 1.6 S cross.

S cross looks and feels better on the inside and Creta looks stunning from the outside. Thats what I will be doing. Enjoying the S cross interiors while appreciating the Creta's beauty on the roads. Maruti could have done better with the looks, but as they say you dont get everything in one car. (Ever heard the story of sour grapes). Hoping the owning experience of the 1.3 to be nice. Zeroing on the S cross 1.3 alpha has been more of a head over heart thing. Waiting for the ownership experience for the heart factor to come up.
:thumbup: I totally agree with you! Congrats!!

I am still going through the dilemma. I have set my eyes on the 1.3 zeta as I feel I am OK without the HIDs and the leather upholstery.
Waiting for my family members to decide. I'm really happy the way car feels from inside. MS has really stepped up with this steed.

PS : my family has ecosport on cards suddenly. But let's be honest the cabin feels cramped in the ecosport.
Old 24th August 2015, 09:52   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Guys, I finally got my booking amount back. The RM deposited the cheque directly into my account. Though it was slightly delayed, RM Deepu was really helpful.
My wait is still on, although RM is quite proactive in making calls to me to indicate that it will take couple of days more The last week's reason for delay was upcoming elections in Bangalore and the showroom might be closed on Saturday and hence cannot be processed. Next deadline is tomorrow, let me wait.
Old 24th August 2015, 11:56   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

With competitor, I reckon you mean the Creta or the Ecosport. Two years into being, the Ecosport is still a head turner. However, the Creata may not garner similar patronage (courtesy: the overstated fluidic design). Again, my opinions and could appear biased!

I disagree on the biting the dust part, especially for the DDiS 200 variants. Just think about what the 1.3 litre diesel mill did to the Dzire, which IMHO, is a design very very few can come to terms with. (Absolutely no offense to owners)

The S-Cross, in all perspectives, has much better design elements. Essentially, an offend none, yet please many philosophy. This again, is my personal opinion

Quote:
My be the 1.3 alpha as well, as it is dangerously close to Creta 1.6 SX. But the 1.3 Zeta is going to sell in good numbers, say in Estilo / Ritz numbers.
I get the same impression from my RM. I, for one, would've definitely picked the Alpha at a 1 lakh premium over the Zeta. At ~ 1.9 lakhs, I find the reasons very hard to come.
Old 24th August 2015, 12:09   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Saw a silver S-Cross yesterday. And frankly, it looks just another car in the crowd, and does not have the road appeal of the Creta (just for the sake of comparison). While the Creta does look like a mini Santa Fe, the S-Cross is simply a glorified hatchback. Moreover, I personally think that the top-of-the-line variants with projector headlamps look a bit after-market.

It surely is over-priced IMO, specially the 1.6 trims. Maybe a price of around 11 lacs for the top trim would have changed customer perspective.
Old 24th August 2015, 13:30   #1349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Saw a silver S-Cross yesterday. And frankly, it looks just another car in the crowd, and does not have the road appeal of the Creta (just for the sake of comparison). While the Creta does look like a mini Santa Fe, the S-Cross is simply a glorified hatchback. Moreover, I personally think that the top-of-the-line variants with projector headlamps look a bit after-market.
Oh Yes, it does look like any other hatchback and does not have any special appeal. Totally agree with that. Creta has that appeal and will definitely turn heads - might not as much as Ecosport or Duster - they were segment creators. However, I feel the projectors and DRLs on the Alpha variant look pretty good - again, not as classy as the Creta's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
It surely is over-priced IMO, specially the 1.6 trims. Maybe a price of around 11 lacs for the top trim would have changed customer perspective.
While I agree that the DDiS 320 is overpriced by a but, asking the top end for DDiS 320 is grossly unfair. See what the Creta offers for 11-12 lakhs ex-Delhi. SX+ of 1.6 L VTVT and S+ of 1.4 CRDi and SX of 1.6 CRDi. Now, it is very clear that Creta offers much less equipment and features compared to S-Cross in all variants probably except SX(O) which offers a better safety package. S+, SX and SX+ offers much much less than what S-Cross Zeta and Alpha offer. When Hyundai offers so less for 11-12 lakhs, how can one expect Maruti Suzuki to offer the top end variant of a car with imported engine + gearbox combo? IMO, S-Cross DDiS 320 Alpha could not have been given for less than 12.5-12.75 lakhs when we compare competitors like Creta, Duster and Ecosport. I still maintain, DDiS 320 is over priced by ~1 lakh and if priced 1 lakh lesser, it would have got a much better sales record to show off.
Vigkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 14:47   #1350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Hey volkman10

If budget permits, go for Michelin P3ST or look for Yokohama AVS DB series. Great comfort, silent tyres with good grip. It'll compliment the S cross well.

I am not sure about the pricing on Yokos but they would be cheaper than P3STs. The latter would cost you around 9500 per tyre.

You can go through my feedback on the P3ST thread and decide if it suits your needs.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Unfortunately Yokohama in this size is very limited in availability.

Michelin's P3ST for S Cross is quoted at INR 9800/ tyre with buyback of stock JK at INR 3750 /tyre.

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th August 2015 at 15:17.

Most Viewed