Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2015, 14:07   #1606
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudharysaab View Post
Hey Guys,

I know its too early but do we have any news of some kind of discounts in 1.6 model. I have to book car next week and very confused between Creta/Scross and Vento DSG.
If you are looking at discounts, it is not going to happen in the time frame you are looking to book the car. Your confusion can be resolved only by the following

a. Determine your top priorities in a car.
b. Determine some of the practical things you must absolutely have in a car.
c. Determine some of the feel good factors you need in a car.
d. Compare the specifications of SCross/Creta and Vento DSG and check which one comes close. Take your pick then.
Old 8th September 2015, 15:02   #1607
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I know its too early but do we have any news of some kind of discounts in 1.6 model. I have to book car next week and very confused between Creta/Scross and Vento DSG.
Very doubtful you will get any discounts in that time frame.

BTW, since I had the Rapid DSG Elegance in contention, I can tell you what tilted the balance in favour of the S-Cross:

1. Higher and better driver's seating position with good adjustments for steering rake and reach and seat height (helpful on long drives as well long city commutes). Easier ingress and egress in both rows.

2. Better ground clearance and off-road characteristics (read "bad-road" characteristics - Bangalore friends will understand best).

3. Reliability of a MS - proven performance and reliability and reasonable cost of ownership.

4. Lastly, the feel nice factor of having saved a cool 1.50 lakhs in comparison! (of course, the balance swings the other way with the DDiS 320)

The one thing I will sorely miss is the convenience of a dual-clutch AT box. However, after driving the DDiS200 on three different occasions in mixed traffic conditions, I'm convinced that this car is easier to handle in low speeds compared to my Esteem (way lesser gear shifts for the same distance covered)
Old 8th September 2015, 15:03   #1608
Distinguished - BHPian

For S Cross prospective owners from Nexa (Bimal)- Bangalore , there is a possibility of getting Yokohama 205/60 R16 from them. Buyback of JK yet to be confirmed (price). Yokohama is retailed at 10k/tyre.

Buy back of OEM alloys is for 14k, they have alloys from Neo if you are looking for a change.

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th September 2015 at 15:05.
Old 8th September 2015, 15:37   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
For S Cross prospective owners from Nexa (Bimal)- Bangalore , there is a possibility of getting Yokohama 205/60 R16 from them. Buyback of JK yet to be confirmed (price). Yokohama is retailed at 10k/tyre.

Buy back of OEM alloys is for 14k, they have alloys from Neo if you are looking for a change.
Wow! That's good NEWS indeed. Nothing like having the dealer(OEM) provide you options for a swap.

The buy back value of the alloys looks very reasonable indeed. Just wondering who would want to pick'em up?!

Last edited by pannags : 8th September 2015 at 15:59.
Old 8th September 2015, 16:58   #1610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
If you are looking at discounts, it is not going to happen in the time frame you are looking to book the car. Your confusion can be resolved only by the following

a. Determine your top priorities in a car.
b. Determine some of the practical things you must absolutely have in a car.
c. Determine some of the feel good factors you need in a car.
d. Compare the specifications of SCross/Creta and Vento DSG and check which one comes close. Take your pick then.
Actually I am getting confused not because of lack of research but due to over research i guess.
Let me explain my dilemma;

1. Vento DSG over Creta/SCross: I live in Delhi and constantly increasing traffic Jam really becoming problem for me and my wife. Hence we really want to go for Autobox this time. But then I also have to visit constantly to my village and also some weekend Dharamshala trips to my sister home due to which i cannot rely on Sedan and want to have SUV but then Creta's Autobox is not of DSG level plus not available on top end.
2. Creta Vs SCross: Creta is very good looking but missing some features which are unfortunately available on SCross. And as i want performance car so 1.3 SCross is not for me. But my heart is not ready to pay 16 lakhs to Maruti. I am great fan of DSG box but then Creta/Scross are too tempting products.

I dont know where i am going here.
Old 8th September 2015, 17:06   #1611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually I am getting confused not because of lack of research but due to over research i guess.
Let me explain my dilemma;I don't know where i am going here.
Isn't it simple to just to a TD and decide? How bad are the roads in the villages you frequent? Is the GC on Vento that you fear?

If looking for an AT, the Vento DSG is the best suited for your requirement.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 17:14   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't it simple to just to a TD and decide? How bad are the roads in the villages you frequent? Is the GC on Vento that you fear?

If looking for an AT, the Vento DSG is the best suited for your requirement.
Yes, did the TD multiple times but Vento may struggle in my village roads. And because DSG is best bet in autobox, i dont want to hurry myself into SUV charm that whole India is under.

I almost finalized SCross but the amazing TD of Vento again confused me again.

Among SCross and Creta, I am more tilted towards SCross because of 1.6 and number of features it is providing. God, 1 lakh lesser and Maruti could had made Hyundai run for their money with SCross.
Old 8th September 2015, 17:26   #1613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, did the TD multiple times but Vento may struggle in my village roads.
If you have struck off Vento DSG, the next best option would recommended the S Cross, considering your driving conditions.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 17:51   #1614
BHPian

Quote:
If you have struck off Vento DSG, the next best option would recommended the S Cross, considering your driving conditions.
Yes, I agreed with you. No offence with Creta owners but following list says something for Maruti:
  1. Metal Underbody protection in Scross Vs Plastic in Creta
  2. Auto Headlamp/Wipers in Scross vs nothing in Creta.
  3. Auto rearview mirror in SCross vs Manual in Creta in 16 lakhs car
  4. Things like rake & Reach for Steering, 3 door opening sensor vs 1, 2 illuminated sun visor vs zero etc
  5. Cruise Control in Scross vs nothing on Creta.
  6. Basic info like FE not available in Creta. And beleive me we Indians love watching FE figures again and again.
  7. HID vs Common Projector lights
Old 8th September 2015, 18:38   #1615
BHPian

OK I still don't think you have sorted out your priorities well. Let me try on your behalf:

Based on your latest posts I think the contendors are S-Cross and Vento. Allow me to explain:

Quote:
1. Vento DSG over Creta/SCross: I live in Delhi and constantly increasing traffic Jam really becoming problem for me and my wife. Hence we really want to go for Autobox this time. But then I also have to visit constantly to my village and also some weekend Dharamshala trips to my sister home due to which i cannot rely on Sedan and want to have SUV but then Creta's Autobox is not of DSG level plus not available on top end.
From this, it sounds like you are set on the Automatic. You encounter daily traffic and therefore a convenience is definitely automatic. +1 Creta/Vento

Quote:
2. Creta Vs SCross: Creta is very good looking but missing some features which are unfortunately available on SCross. And as i want performance car so 1.3 SCross is not for me. But my heart is not ready to pay 16 lakhs to Maruti. I am great fan of DSG box but then Creta/Scross are too tempting products.
How much of a performance do you really need practically? In city are you really going to use all the power that 1.6 S Cross has to offer? Do you really prefer fast driving when you are going to your village or elsewhere? I am sure when you goto your village you won't need all the power & torque that S-Cross 1.6 has to offer. Vento might offers enough power here, but bad roads may not be its comfort zone. +1 S-Cross

Quote:
And because DSG is best bet in autobox
Approximately how much of this better autobox are you going to appreciate 2-3 months or even 6 months down the line? Since you also mentioned that you like better fuel efficiency I assume you like to keep costs lower. Maruti anyday is cheaper to maintain & own than Volkswagen
+1 Vento

Quote:
I almost finalized SCross but the amazing TD of Vento again confused me again.
In my opinion it's just the gearbox difference you feel that is confusing you here.
Quote:
Yes, I agreed with you. No offence with Creta owners but following list says something for Maruti:
  4. Things like rake & Reach for Steering, 3 door opening sensor vs 1, 2 illuminated sun visor vs zero etc
  6. Basic info like FE not available in Creta. And beleive me we Indians love watching FE figures again and again.
Auto headlamps and Wipers are not a deal breaker in my opinion. It could be an annoyance to some as well.
Same with automatic rear view mirror.
More or less same with cruise control. A lot of people I speak to never use it. So it's not very practical unless you use the car a lot on highways. It's a useless feature for pure city driving.

+6 to S-Cross (for the features it offers)

So overall if you look at it, 1.3 S-Cross should suit you with the only deal breaker being power and performace being absolute must. For your city driving, 1.3 should do very well. I TD'd it several times before coming to conclusion and if that is not enough, you can remap it. I have it on the plan.

Hope this helps.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 18:56   #1616
BANNED

Quote:
That's some serious misses from a 15L so-called "SUV".

And +100 to the FE mania. I love to see current FE of 30KMPL whenever I am able to make it
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 19:07   #1617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also have to visit constantly to my village and also some weekend Dharamshala trips to my sister home due to which i cannot rely on Sedan and want to have SUV but then Creta's Autobox is not of DSG level plus not available on top end.
I have taken my Vento multiple times to Dharamshala and have never faced ground clearance issues with even 4 people on board. Vento/Rapid do not scrape the underbelly until you are really harsh. I do not know about other village roads but going to Palampur/Dharamshala is a piece of cake for the VW even with 4 people on board and i have visited that place atleast a dozen times by now. Traffic around Delhi NCR is just pathetic and i would request you to have a look at any automatic car once again, your left leg would love the relief.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 19:30   #1618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I have taken my Vento multiple times to Dharamshala and have never faced ground clearance issues with even 4 people on board. Vento/Rapid do not scrape the underbelly until you are really harsh. I do not know about other village roads but going to Palampur/Dharamshala is a piece of cake for the VW even with 4 people on board and i have visited that place atleast a dozen times by now. Traffic around Delhi NCR is just pathetic and i would request you to have a look at any automatic car once again, your left leg would love the relief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
That's some serious misses from a 15L so-called "SUV".

And +100 to the FE mania. I love to see current FE of 30KMPL whenever I am able to make it

Few Quick Questions:
  1. Which one will have better back seat experience: Vento / SCross / Creta?
  2. Which one is more fun to drive? Vento TDI DSG/ Creta / SCross
  3. Which one have better Interior? Creta or SCross
  4. If Creta is not overpriced, then why is Scross is called overpriced which have more features and better leg room than creta

I know its apple to orange comparison in Sedan vs crossover vs so called SUV, but I have selected best in business here and comparison is inevitable in my opinion.
Old 8th September 2015, 20:41   #1619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Few Quick Questions:[list=1][*]Which one will have better back seat experience: Vento / SCross / Creta?
I think Vento and S Cross are at par when it comes to back seat experience but Vento trumps S Cross when it comes to boot space as it has a much larger boot at 460 L v/s 350 litres for S Cross.

Quote:
[*]Which one is more fun to drive? Vento TDI DSG/ Creta / SCross
If you compare 1.6 MJD to 1.5 TDI DSG then it is a close game and the S Cross will edge ahead but if you are bringing 1.3 MJD then it is the VW that wins hands down. DSG is lightning quick to upshift, 1.5 TDi has abundant torque and driving an automatic daily is such a peaceful experience. Creta is good but still can not match both S Cross or Vento

Quote:
[*]Which one have better Interior? Creta or SCross
I found the overall cabin quality in Creta to be better, S Cross has good interiors as well but some parts carried over from Swift feel cheap.

Quote:
[*]If Creta is not overpriced, then why is Scross is called overpriced which have more features and better leg room than creta
Both are a bit optimistically priced but every one blames S Cross because it does not look great, does not have that high stance that we indians love and looks ordinary in front of Creta. S Cross is much better to drive than Creta if you can get over the cross over looks, wish it came with an automatic transmission.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 21:15   #1620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I think Vento and S Cross are at par when it comes to back seat experience but Vento trumps S Cross when it comes to boot space as it has a much larger boot at 460 L v/s 350 litres for S Cross.

If you compare 1.6 MJD to 1.5 TDI DSG then it is a close game and the S Cross will edge ahead but if you are bringing 1.3 MJD then it is the VW that wins hands down. DSG is lightning quick to upshift, 1.5 TDi has abundant torque and driving an automatic daily is such a peaceful experience. Creta is good but still can not match both S Cross or Vento

I found the overall cabin quality in Creta to be better, S Cross has good interiors as well but some parts carried over from Swift feel cheap.

Both are a bit optimistically priced but every one blames S Cross because it does not look great, does not have that high stance that we indians love and looks ordinary in front of Creta. S Cross is much better to drive than Creta if you can get over the cross over looks, wish it came with an automatic transmission.
Thanks, its really becoming Vento DSG vs SCross for me.

Most Viewed