Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2015, 21:51   #2326
BHPian

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

A question to the owners.
For 1.3 version, which is the best vehicle to compare it with, just for reference when it comes to highway driving, fun factor, effect on mileage when the vehicle does constant speeds above 100-110kmph (in permissible/legal conditions off course).
I'm asking this because I'm looking at Scross 1.3 as an option for my next car purchase. My driving will be 70:30 , highway:city. My regular highway route is ahmedabad to navsari(Surat) (250kms stretch). On an average daily I do around 80-100kms with internal 2-lane state highways as well. One more doubt that I have is how is it when we do some spirited driving on expressway. Like in vento, as per my experience when we are around 100-110 the mileage is considerably good around 18. But beyond those speeds the mileage drops to 15-16. At higher revs and higher speeds can we expect the behaviour(drive) of scross like swift?
1.6 is out of my budget so can't think about it.
P.s: I don't encourage and practise doing illegal speeds and irresponsible driving. Above questions are asked considering some real time scenarios that I have faced.

Last edited by chintu_91 : 25th November 2015 at 21:58.
Old 25th November 2015, 23:03   #2327
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintu_91 View Post
For 1.3 version, which is the best vehicle to compare it with, just for reference when it comes to highway driving, fun factor, effect on mileage when the vehicle does constant speeds above 100-110kmph (in permissible/legal conditions off course).
I'm asking this because I'm looking at Scross 1.3 as an option for my next car purchase. My driving will be 70:30 , highway:city. My regular highway route is ahmedabad to navsari(Surat) (250kms stretch). On an average daily I do around 80-100kms with internal 2-lane state highways as well. One more doubt that I have is how is it when we do some spirited driving on expressway. Like in vento, as per my experience when we are around 100-110 the mileage is considerably good around 18. But beyond those speeds the mileage drops to 15-16. At higher revs and higher speeds can we expect the behaviour(drive) of scross like swift?
P.s: I don't encourage and practise doing illegal speeds and irresponsible driving. Above questions are asked considering some real time scenarios that I have faced.
The vehicles to compare with?
- Something between a Ciaz and an Ertiga
- A linea 1.3 multijet with an RD box in P2 mode
- Ford ecosport (Ecosport is better at lower revs)
- 85 ps duster (S cross is more fun to drive compared to an 85ps duster)

At 100-110 / spirited driving milage does drop to around 15 kmpl (in my case as I am using 225 section tyres.) I think 16-17 kmpl would be the best you can expect.The absence of a sixth gear means more rpm at those speeds and more fuel consumption. I get around 18kmpl when speeds are maintained at around 90 kmph.

S cross handles like a heavier swift, not lumpy at all. But does not pull well like a swift. Swift feels nervous above the speeds you mentioned. S cross is rock solid. It feels more stable than a Linea at those speeds.

When comparing with a 1.5 Vento, S cross will be slower to reach the 3 digit mark (a good 2 seconds slow). But it would gladly maintain those speeds more comfortably, irrespective of condition of roads.

IMO the most tricky speed band of the S cross is 60-80kmph at 4th and 5th gear. If the rpm drops below 2k-2.5k the car suddenly feels heavy and progress becomes slow. So narrow overtakings in 2 laned highways need planning. Overtake if you are in 3rd gear below 50kmph or 4th/5th gear above 70 kmph. This is due to the taller gearing (4th and 5th are overdrive) in the S cross. I think a remap can solve the issue once the engine becomes more free revving.

All these are subjective opinions.
Best way is to sort it out by a longish TD.
I zeroed on it as the power was adequate for the roads I drive in. Moreover I love drivng and want a connected feel. The free revving 1.3 MJD for me is better than the Ford and Duster mill. S cross 1.3 drive gave me more satisfaction than the creta drive. Hence I chose the less powerful S cross 1.3 over the more powerful and stylish creta 1.6 sx.
sandygordon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 23:23   #2328
BHPian

^^
You have no clue how well the above post satisfies me. That's the best explanation one can get.
Just Thanking you won't be enough but for now that's all I have.
I will ask you a bit more if required.
Thank you very very much.
chintu_91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 23:35   #2329
BHPian

Quote:
Here is my experience.

Strictly for the price, power and body type the competitors are Ecosport and duster 85ps.

Handling- S-cross
Suspension- Duster
Fun factor- s-cross (Probably I am biased)
Mileage- no brainer(National engine)

It won't put the lap times on fire, but it has enough fire power. Regarding the mileage part you can browse through this thread.

Briefly,

80-90 kmph @ 2000 rpm sweet spot - expect more than 24 if driven sedately.

90-100 kmph @ 2250 rpm - mileage hovers around 22-23

100-110 kmph @ 2500 rpm - expected mileage 20-21

The best I achieved was 29.8 with single occupant over 300km highway driving. Otherwise regular highway drives never returned below 22 kmpl even with 5 occupants and luggage cruising at 100 kmph. I'm running on stock tyres. Hope this helps.
sou_3749 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 23:41   #2330
BHPian

Some news on auto scross launch in UK. Hopefully pricing is better. Orelse it would be like during scross launch.
http://indianautosblog.com/2015/11/s...ched-uk-204025
Old 26th November 2015, 00:29   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
Hope this helps.

Thank you for the information. It helps immensely in decision making.
Old 26th November 2015, 07:47   #2332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
-----

80-90 kmph @ 2000 rpm sweet spot - expect more than 24 if driven sedately.

90-100 kmph @ 2250 rpm - mileage hovers around 22-23

100-110 kmph @ 2500 rpm - expected mileage 20-21

The best I achieved was 29.8 with single occupant over 300km highway driving. Otherwise regular highway drives never returned below 22 kmpl even with 5 occupants and luggage cruising at 100 kmph. I'm running on stock tyres. Hope this helps.
In 100% City driving (Bangalore) and AC at 22 deg( 99%) on it consistently gives ~ > 18 km/l ( Average fuel Economy) with ODO at 1700 km.
Old 26th November 2015, 08:09   #2333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
In 100% City driving (Bangalore) and AC at 22 deg( 99%) on it consistently gives ~ > 18 km/l ( Average fuel Economy) with ODO at 1700 km.

Volkman, that excellent mileage for Bangalore city. Which part of Bangalore do you normally drive? What's the average speed in city? I get around 12.5 in my Punto MJD(RD kit in P2) and 14 in my Elantra.
Old 26th November 2015, 08:22   #2334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Which part of Bangalore do you normally drive? What's the average speed in city?
Here is the normal route,
Route 1 (mornings)
Old airport road>MG Road>Raj Bhavan rd>Sankey Tank> NH4 towards Tumkur.

Route 2( evenings)
NH4 >IISC> Mekhri circle> Ulsoor> Indiranagar

I expect these figures to improve as the ODO shows more miles. At beginning it started with 16 and now stands at 18.2 km/l. Daily an average of + 0.1 km/l is observed.

Pattern of traffic is relatively less in mornings but jam packed at evenings.

Mornings - Avg speed 60-70 Km/hr
Evenings - Avg speed 40 Km/hr

Last edited by Vid6639 : 26th November 2015 at 09:35.
Old 26th November 2015, 09:15   #2335
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

I am also in market for a replacement for my dad's chauffeur driven Manza and facing the same dilemma.
I was looking at options through various segments (ranging from Jazz, Baleno to Storme).
I have found the most VFM options to be Ciaz ZDI/ZDI+ & SCross Zeta.

Ciaz
+ Best VFM
+ FE
+ Rear AC Vents
+ Slightly softer/cushioned ride than SCross
+ Convenient Boot Space for the long trips
+ Slightly cheaper than S Cross
+ May get better resale value in future
- Poor head room - I (6'3" )don't fit comfortably in the back seat Dad does though.
- Lacks appeal
- All Beige Interiors esp the carpets
- Lower Seating
- Doesn't feel like a change from Manza actually feels smaller than Manza

S Cross 1.3
+ Different Attitude
+ Ingress/Egress (considering Dad's 68 years young)
+ Feels more roomy
+ Build Quality over other products except German (I drive a VW GT TSI)
+ Go anywhere feel & mile munching ease - I would like to drive a car to Leh/Ladakh but not in the VW
+ Cruise Control
+ Black Interiors
+ Ease of driving considering the seating position & size of vehicle
- Stupid Tyres & Alloys
- No leather seats
- No Rear AC vent (not necessary but gives the feeling of a car made for the back seat
- Less boot space (I don't like to stack up the space above the parcel tray)

I would have liked to pay more and get the Storme which I found to be the best back seat car in the price range. Other than this the Storme does not appeal in anyway. Also the lower efficiency, near zero resale value, lower driving comfort in city does not justify the premium it commands over these two.
Other sedans have no additional value for money than the Ciaz.

Head says Ciaz, Heart says S-cross
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 10:58   #2336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Hello,
Use the heart if you are driving. Use your head when you are giving the car to a chauffer.

I would on any day pick the Ciaz for my parents to be chauffered in. (Personal opinion). My mom likes the rear seat in the Ciaz than in my S cross. According to her, the S cross seat is too vertical for her liking. Good for short shopping trips but any ride of more than an hour or so, Ciaz s cushy seats will be better. Ingress and Egress will be easier in the S cross.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 10:59   #2337
BHPian

Quote:
At the risk of sounding biased, you really don't have anything better than the s-cross in the price range of the 1.3, you get the highest ncap rating car with superb highway characteristics, with extraordinary mileage, with 4 disc brakes. I am the frustrated owner of a s-cross 1.6, frustrated since the roads are not long enough anymore

I would have advised a duster as being close, but no, you have the better deal with the s-cross 1.3 anyday (considering your requirement) but please take care on the overtaking precautions advised by other owners, I will take their word for it. Best of luck!
Pro-Idiot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 11:10   #2338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Hello,

I am also in market for a replacement for my dad's chauffeur driven Manza and facing the same dilemma.
I was looking at options through various segments (ranging from Jazz, Baleno to Storme).
I have found the most VFM options to be Ciaz ZDI/ZDI+ & SCross Zeta.

Ciaz
+ Best VFM
+ FE
+ Rear AC Vents
+ Slightly softer/cushioned ride than SCross
+ Convenient Boot Space for the long trips
+ Slightly cheaper than S Cross
+ May get better resale value in future
- Poor head room - I (6'3" )don't fit comfortably in the back seat Dad does though.
- Lacks appeal
- All Beige Interiors esp the carpets
- Lower Seating
- Doesn't feel like a change from Manza actually feels smaller than Manza

S Cross 1.3
+ Different Attitude
+ Ingress/Egress (considering Dad's 68 years young)
+ Feels more roomy
+ Build Quality over other products except German (I drive a VW GT TSI)
+ Go anywhere feel & mile munching ease - I would like to drive a car to Leh/Ladakh but not in the VW
+ Cruise Control
+ Black Interiors
+ Ease of driving considering the seating position & size of vehicle
- Stupid Tyres & Alloys
- No leather seats
- No Rear AC vent (not necessary but gives the feeling of a car made for the back seat
- Less boot space (I don't like to stack up the space above the parcel tray)

I would have liked to pay more and get the Storme which I found to be the best back seat car in the price range. Other than this the Storme does not appeal in anyway. Also the lower efficiency, near zero resale value, lower driving comfort in city does not justify the premium it commands over these two.
Other sedans have no additional value for money than the Ciaz.

If it will be chauffeur driven mostly, then ciaz ZDI+ will be a better choice, but it will be more than a lakh dearer than s-cross zeta 1.3.
Although elderly people find it a little difficult for ingress/egress, the rear space is enormous. ZDI+ has all the bells and whistles to be called a premium car. It should also give more mileage with HSVS.

On the other hand s-cross has it's own positives.
+Build quality never seen before in a maruti, definitely better than ciaz.
+Cabin fit and finish along with plastic quality in a different league. Marutis are prone to rattling even when new, but s-cross doesn't till now.
+Ride and handling better than ciaz and most of the cars.
+Some other things like cruise control, all wheel disc brakes, ergonomics which can't be retrofitted in a ciaz.

But you can't go wrong with any one of them. Choose wisely.
sou_3749 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 14:33   #2339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
In case you are unable to provide a detailed review, atleast share the driving experience so far, in brief
Apologies for the late reply, here is a short summing up of the experience so far: Fabulous!
I have actually only done 550 km till now, and havnt yet got my registration.Should get it today or tomorrow,was saddened by the fact that you dont get a smart card registration in UP.
Let me first congratulate all the owners of the s-cross 1.3, you guys have the most value for money deal, pound for pound in the Indian car market.
For all the jitters and shaking hands, before signing the cheque, the moment I was in my car and till now, I am thrilled!
I have heard many bhpians say "after 2000 the monster awakens" but for me the car is just beautiful. It is plush smooth and silently powerful without any outward show.
It takes a bit of time to get comfortable with this engine in traffic, but once you get used to it, it is quite relaxing (many bhpians say the 1.3 rides better in traffic, I agreed to this for the first 400 kms, now I dont). Power and pull is excellent even before the turbo kicks in, the torque available guarantees that once a gear is engaged (any gear, barring 5 and 6 , that too barely) the car will keep moving, no matter what speed you are at. Its mildly scary, when it accelerates without paddle input,when the speed is lower than the current gearing demands.
I was reading the latest T-BHP review of the Abarth, and it was uncannily similar to the 1.6 S-cross. I was heartened by the fact that the car comparisons put in the review had the S-cross along with the two abarths out of the 4 cars cars compared.
I will go on, but will say more once I post the ownership thread.
One negative, I am 6 feet tall and my wife is 5'4", I usually dont change the seat position from what is comfortable to her (seat height) and the rearview mirror comes right on my eye level and blocks the view of traffic coming in from the left at a crossing.
Second negative, the car is fast, but without looking at the speedo it is difficult to know you are at 140. I would strongly advise getting familiar with the car dynamics before going steady highway driving. Try its turning and stability in short bursts of speed, because you might be left confused in an emergency at high speeds (you might be going faster than you think). Remember this car does not have esp!
Hope this is helpful while not detracting buyers, since I would whole-heartedly recommend this car to anyone.
Pro-Idiot is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 14:37   #2340
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Idiot View Post
Hope this is helpful while not detracting buyers, since I would whole-heartedly recommend this car to anyone.
Thank you for the post. It is reassuring for me as I am a prospective buyer of this car and the 1.6 variant.

Eagerly awaiting the ownership for more details and finer data.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks