Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2016, 14:36   #3646
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
With Vitara Brezza getting the 1.0 L boosterjet engine as the petrol variant, it is imminent the same will come in S Cross too.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ol-400834.aspx
Is this a speculation or confirmation from Maruti Suzuki?

The S-cross is a larger and heavier car. The Booster jet might not be a right fit for a larger car. It's difficult to convince a customer buying a full sized crossover to go for a 1.0L engine.

Secondly the S-cross is well above 4m which means even if it gets the booster-jet it will not be eligible for any tax incentives and will get the higher tax.

Thirdly, the sales of the S-cross are only mediocre for a Maruti. A booster jet engine will not make any drastic changes in sales. Why would Maruti spend so much R&D to get the booster jet in S-cross which is not found anywhere else in the world for a small % of sales from S-cross.

The Baleno and Brezza make sense for the booster jet, the S-cross does not at all.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 14:44   #3647
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With Vitara Brezza getting the 1.0 L boosterjet engine as the petrol variant, it is imminent the same will come in S Cross too.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ol-400834.aspx
Wouldn't that make it a very under powered car ?
I think for the size of the S-Cross at least a 1.3L petrol will be needed, else it will be boring to drive!
Old 15th March 2016, 19:25   #3648
BHPian

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki S-Cross limited edition launched for Rs 9.55 lakh.

However, instead of the touchscreen audio system, the car gets a basic monochrome integrated unit.
Well that seems to be a limited edition for the reason that it has limited features.

There is one thing, however, I would have loved, if they had plonked in the sweet Headlamps from the Alpha I wouldn't have had an issue with the missing stereo. I mean you can get very good touch screen units for 20 - 25k. Navigation wise, most people have a good phone with navigation anyway.

Just an idea. Maruti if you are listening.
Old 16th March 2016, 06:36   #3649
BHPian

The BREZZA alloys are available as accessories at the rate of Rs 5990/- per wheel (according to the price list posted on brezza forum). Looks like good value. Now the question is, what should I do with my steel wheels if I opt for them

The accessories list really looks good. Wish something similar was available for S-cross too.

girish
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 07:22   #3650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
The BREZZA alloys are available as accessories at the rate of Rs 5990/- per wheel (according to the price list posted on brezza forum). Looks like good value. Now the question is, what should I do with my steel wheels if I opt for them

The accessories list really looks good. Wish something similar was available for S-cross too.

girish
Nice to hear this but is it not available? Also since the Breeza comes with a 215 section tyre,is it compatible with the Scross? What about the PCD?
Old 16th March 2016, 10:44   #3651
BHPian

Its almost twp months since I got my S-cross; completed running around 1700 kms and FE (reset after first service) is hovering around 18. I am observing couple of issues; anyone has seen these already or its just my car?
- One day, I mistakenly pulled up the window glass switch when the glass was already closed. What I saw was lateral (in horizontal direction) movement of the glass and door panels (inside plastic and outside door). I saw this happened with my both the front doors, did not check the rear doors as yet.
- For some reason, I have kind of screeching noise for some minor movements in driver seat. The noise is similar to old sofa (spring cushioning) screeching. This happens even when there is little extra acceleration too. [I am not over-weight person either ]
Old 16th March 2016, 11:26   #3652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagara999 View Post
Its almost twp months since I got my S-cross; completed running around 1700 kms and FE (reset after first service) is hovering around 18. I am observing couple of issues; anyone has seen these already or its just my car?
- One day, I mistakenly pulled up the window glass switch when the glass was already closed. What I saw was lateral (in horizontal direction) movement of the glass and door panels (inside plastic and outside door). I saw this happened with my both the front doors, did not check the rear doors as yet.
- For some reason, I have kind of screeching noise for some minor movements in driver seat. The noise is similar to old sofa (spring cushioning) screeching. This happens even when there is little extra acceleration too. [I am not over-weight person either ]
All perfectly part of the package from Maruti. If you roll down the windows a bit, you can easily shake them horizontally within the channel using your hands. Ask MASS to fix it up for you. It is reduced in my car now.

The seats - well that happens even now. If I get into a pothole or drive across a speed breaker a bit horizontally, the seats will creak and shift from their place a bit.

These are quality issues with Maruti and it is always been there with their cars. These are areas where Toyota and honda are much ahead with their quality. My city never ever had a creaking sound after 6 years of ownership!!
sudeepg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 11:39   #3653
Distinguished - BHPian

A common sight now in Motor Sport rallies - S Cross!

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-cdmi2meuuaafmyg.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 12:17   #3654
BANNED

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-200905190914186983.jpg

Maruti made a huge mistake earlier in 2007 when they introduced the sedan version of SX4 and not the SUV version. Even though the market was not as much in favour of SUVs as today, it could have easily created a new market as Duster did earlier.

Maruti again made a mistake with the second generation SX4 (Scross here), by launching the 1.6L priced astronomically, though they corrected it at a later stage.

It was another mistake from Maruti that the Scross was not introduced in Petrol variant.

Now, if the news are to be believed, they are going to make another mistake with SCross by introducing the 1L Boosterjet engine rather than the 1.4L Boosterjet.

I guess SX4 / SCross is not a lucky model for Maruti. Better replace it with the international Vitara / Vitara S!
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-213115197056534089365f5.jpg-itokgbusv6gp.jpg

Last edited by romeomidhun : 16th March 2016 at 12:29.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 12:23   #3655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A common sight now in Motor Sport rallies - S Cross!
Would have been even better if AWD version was available.
Old 16th March 2016, 12:27   #3656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Don't know but i see less people opting for blue color. Any particular reason why the blue color doesn't sell well? Is it hard to maintain?
Total OT. My 2 cents here

I feel blue is a color which looks great but definitely attracts a lot of scratches. I have blue swift and Blue Innova. Further in the extended family there is a blue Amaze. All the cars seem to be magnets for scratches. They are visible clearly once there. The other color cars we have white/Golden Brown seem to fare better.

Thanks
Rahul
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 12:32   #3657
Team-BHP Support

Colors like blue look fantastic in showrooms, but they don't age well in my opinion.
Eddy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 13:44   #3658
BHPian

Quick Update on my 1.6 Zeta: Completed 2000 kms in a month and car has been very good so far.
Few observations :

Average city FE is around 13 kmpl and highway FE is around 18 kmpl.

Drove on mud roads for few kilometers with 5 passengers and the bottom did not scrape even once. With my SX4, underbody used to scrape every time with similar load.

Second gear used to be notchy for initial 1000 kms. It has become smooth now and the shifts are precise.

There is a slight vibration in steering wheel if I lug the engine at higher gears. (Around 1500 RPM). Reported the same to my SA and he said he will revert after checking with Maruti, as he has observed the same in few other cars.

Three digit speeds are fun now. Car accelerates and decelerates with ease. And need to shift down has reduced drastically.

My car is blue. I think I will have hard time in maintaining the same. Looks like it picks up minor scratches easily.

Michelin P3STs are great. They are much silent compared to the GoodYear Assurance tyres I had on my SX4.

Overall, no regrets. A very good package with which I can live happily for many many more kms to come.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 16:23   #3659
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Is this a speculation or confirmation from Maruti Suzuki?
Secondly the S-cross is well above 4m which means even if it gets the booster-jet it will not be eligible for any tax incentives and will get the higher tax.
The Baleno and Brezza make sense for the booster jet, the S-cross does not at all.
It is a speculation as gathered from discussion with the RM/dealer. Two petrol engines were discussed 1.4 P and 1.0L boosterjet, since the boosterjet
is likely to come in Baleno/Brezza and possibility in the next Gen Swift speculations were tilting towards the 1.0 L boosterjet for S Cross. But as noted by now doesn't make sense to have the 1.0l for tax benefit point of view.

There was also reports on a new 1.5 L petrol coming for S Cross ( link below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Now, if the news are to be believed, they are going to make another mistake with SCross by introducing the 1L Boosterjet engine rather than the 1.4L Boosterjet.
News on S Cross Petrol engine is speculative. They could also think of the 1.4L boosterjet engine if Vitara S is in their India plans. Also note the 1.4 Boosterjet engine is reported to come in the international facelift version of S Cross - India plans ?

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-capture.jpg

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/50547676.cms

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th March 2016 at 16:27.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 18:41   #3660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Colors like blue look fantastic in showrooms, but they don't age well in my opinion.
If one is able to maintain the paintwork well, then it will definitely be looking good even after years. But if the paint starts getting dull and accumulates swirls, it will look horrible.

Most Viewed