Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2016, 23:51   #5341
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Took delivery of my Grey S-Cross Alpha 1.6 yesterday evening. The beast is home!!

Drove around 100 kms. Surprisingly (or maybe buyer bias ), I am finding the lag to be pretty easy to handle. No opportunity to go to 5th or 6th gears yet. Ownership report should be out soon, once I drive around 1000 kms.

Trip to Bangalore coming up, looking forward to the journey more than the destination
Hey fellow Chennai BHPian Arvind! Congrats on the 1.6 beast! Excellent choice. Yes you can drive this car at low speeds changing gears like you would in a 1.6 petrol car (I compared it to my Verna 2010 1.6 petrol SX), and it just goes. It responds but obviously not with vigour. However I did not notice much of turbo lag. Like it's been said elsewhere in the thread, this car is enjoyable even in its stock setup. I will never even think of a remap.

I felt the gear ratios were also adjusted really well.

Since you are a Chennai BHPian: I could easily climb the Kathipara grade separator in 3rd gear at about 25-30 kmph without any engine knocking or stalling etc. At 45 kmph I shifted to 4th, and just tried driving it like my petrol Verna (yeah I am a sedate driver mostly ... except when I really get into the "pedal to the metal" mood sometimes!), and the S-Cross 1.6 performed admirably. I was really wondering what all the talk about the accentuated turbo lag was all about!

Which Nexa did you get it from? OMR or Nandanam? OMR Nexa has quite a few in stock and they keep SMSing me. About 7 in stock in different colours (all 1.6) and 5 more in transit! Not sure about Nexa Nandanam.

Let me know! Would be interesting.

Also did you get any offers on the car - discounts / insurance discount / exchange or loyalty bonus etc? Let us know!

Once again congrats on taking delivery of one of most underrated cars in Indian automobile history! Enjoy your Bangalore trip. The NH4 / NH46 are where you can really stretch her legs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
'Made in India' SX4 S Cross lands in Indonesia, leaked petrol variant specs. Likely the same engine for India soon. Exquisite 16 "Alloys !

Comes in 5 speed MT or 6 Speed CVT in Petrol variants.

[/url]
Volkman, nice scoop there! However the pics seem to show the international LHD version with those stock 17 inch alloys. The gearbox options are nice - manual and CVT but a 1.5L engine? Darn ... none of us would like this engine, after driving the 1.6L DDiS 320 beast. I hope this isn't the old M15 Swift engine from the 2005 launch worldwide. I remember the Swift when launched in Australia in 2005 came with a 1.5L engine and choices of 5 speed manual and 4 speed automatic gearboxes. Very mediocre power wise. 100 bhp and 133 Nm torque are nothing compared to what today's petrol engines give us. Even the 1.4L K14B in the Ciaz and Ertiga do 90/95 bhp and 130Nm torque. The Honda City's 1.5L engine is one of the best, with 119ps and 145Nm torque.

If MSIL overprices the S-Cross 1.5L automatic, it will be dead on arrival I am sure. Very few would have the heart to pay 15 lacs for a 1.5L 100bhp engined car when for almost the same price on road, we could get the 1.6 DDiS 320. They need to be sensible with the petrol versions' pricing from the get go this time.
VSG12777 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 09:16   #5342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades1011 View Post
Got Philips LED foglamps installed on my S-Cross.
Can you post some output shots? How much did it cost?
Old 6th August 2016, 11:03   #5343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Can you post some output shots? How much did it cost?
Well the MRP is Rs. 7900 but I did get some discount.
One of the pictures is of the fog-lamps alone and the other is with the high beam and fog-lamps.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20160806-10.35.09.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20160806-10.34.10.jpg  

Hades1011 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 13:03   #5344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades1011 View Post
Well the MRP is Rs. 7900 but I did get some discount.
One of the pictures is of the fog-lamps alone and the other is with the high beam and fog-lamps.
Do not get me wrong. The very purpose of 'Fog' lamps is defeated once you install higher 'colour temperature' white lights.

This might look wonderful on normal days, but a little bit of rain / fog, the visibility from fog lamps will be minimal and hence it does not serve the intended purpose.
Sree73 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 21:02   #5345
BHPian

S-Cross has sold only 369 units in July 2016. I think the priority is given to Baleno and Brezza.

Source : http://www.autopunditz.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-11.jpg  

Last edited by Sree73 : 6th August 2016 at 21:19.
Old 7th August 2016, 01:43   #5346

Hello, My membership is approved today. I am so happy to be here. I have booked S cross 1.3 zeta brown colour. I was just fiddling with photoshop to see if i can make something out of stock alloys by paint and sticker job.
What do you guys feel. I like 2 the most.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-1.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-2.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-3.jpg  

drmadhuks is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 07:50   #5347
BHPian

I did my first service of my 1.3 Zeta at Kalyani, Bilekahalli on a Saturday. It took a couple of hours for the checklist/service to be completed.

I also requested him to upgrade the headlamps to Philips. The total cost for the same was
Rs. 1200.
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 10:00   #5348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
I also requested him to upgrade the headlamps to Philips. The total cost for the same was
Rs. 1200.
Is this an MGA accessory? Was it only bulbs or any wiring or relay changes? Is the output better than stock? What wattage are the Philips bulbs off?
Old 7th August 2016, 11:45   #5349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Is this an MGA accessory? Was it only bulbs or any wiring or relay changes? Is the output better than stock? What wattage are the Philips bulbs off?
Maruti sells Philips xtreme vision bulbs with same wattage as stock bulb as MGA. This bulb is similar to Osram Night breaker. There would be marginal difference in output and light would be little white.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 12:45   #5350
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmadhuks View Post
Hello, My membership is approved today. I am so happy to be here. I have booked S cross 1.3 zeta brown colour. I was just fiddling with photoshop to see if i can make something out of stock alloys by paint and sticker job.
A good option to give the boring alloys some life! I'll prefer second one.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 15:43   #5351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Ajay, this was an MGA accessory. Only the bulbs were changed, as the wattage remains the same as the stock. No other change in terms of wiring, relays, etc was required.

I see a difference, as compared to the stock. I will try to post some photos later this week, with the Philips bulbs.
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 22:23   #5352
BHPian

I started getting a heavy jerk sound from some where in the driver seat frame when Turns are done along with humps / pot holes. It seems the seat frame is slightly moving and making the sound while turning. Planning to address the issue during the next service @20K KMs.

And as many reported, window panels started little rattling when run over rough road patches. Will try to address this also during the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmadhuks View Post
I was just fiddling with photoshop to see if i can make something out of stock alloys by paint and sticker job.
I also liked the 2nd photo. The alloy wheel got a better life in this picture.

Congratulations on your DDiS 200 booking. I also own the same one with a different colour. It's a wonderful car to drive. Wish you many happy miles.

Last edited by Sree73 : 7th August 2016 at 22:28.
Old 7th August 2016, 23:01   #5353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
I started getting a heavy jerk sound from some where in the driver seat frame when Turns are done along with humps / pot holes. It seems the seat frame is slightly moving and making the sound while turning. Planning to address the issue during the next service @20K KMs.
Similar problem w/o noise. I experience a forward jerk that makes my heart jump out. This has so far has happened on sudden braking, but the experience is nerve racking! At service I found that other car seats have play but not sure if they jerk on braking.

Last edited by bblost : 7th August 2016 at 23:06. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 8th August 2016, 09:50   #5354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
Hey fellow Chennai BHPian Arvind! Congrats on the 1.6 beast! Excellent choice. Yes you can drive this car at low speeds changing gears like you would in a 1.6 petrol car (I compared it to my Verna 2010 1.6 petrol SX), and it just goes. It responds but obviously not with vigour. However I did not notice much of turbo lag. Like it's been said elsewhere in the thread, this car is enjoyable even in its stock setup. I will never even think of a remap.
Yes, the lag is probably more prominent in the higher gears as it takes some time to spool up if not in the right RPM band

Quote:
Which Nexa did you get it from? OMR or Nandanam? OMR Nexa has quite a few in stock and they keep SMSing me. About 7 in stock in different colours (all 1.6) and 5 more in transit! Not sure about Nexa Nandanam.

Let me know! Would be interesting.
I got it from Nandanam NEXA

Quote:
Also did you get any offers on the car - discounts / insurance discount / exchange or loyalty bonus etc? Let us know!
I got a buy back of 2.2L for my Swift LXI 2009 model which had done 86000 kms, 10K corporate discount and 20K additional discount. I had initially booked the 1.3 but due to the delay in the delivery of the same, chose to go with the 1.6. When I was doing a quick PDI, I saw one more grey 1.6 in the yard. Not sure how many they have though

Quote:
Once again congrats on taking delivery of one of most underrated cars in Indian automobile history! Enjoy your Bangalore trip. The NH4 / NH46 are where you can really stretch her legs!
Thank you!! I already did a short trip to Tiruttani and Vallakottai (near Sriperumbudur) on Sat and found the trip to be very enjoyable. The lag is very manageable unless you are in 5th gear doing 50kmph. The ride quality over broken roads in high speeds is outstanding and the body roll is minimal as well. Felt that the car was handling just like my swift, even though it is much longer and wider. And driving it sedately would probably mean a good mileage as well. A mix of hard and sedate driving (considering it is in its running in period) gave a mileage of around 14 as per the MID. Happy so far with the purchase!!
arvind71181 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 11:26   #5355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post

And as many reported, window panels started little rattling when run over rough road patches. Will try to address this also during the service.
I can confirm the similar sound exactly coming somewhere from the driver's seat assembly. It's something more like a squeaking sound rather than a jerk as if some hinge or joint has gone loose.

There are some other small yet noticeable sounds coming from inside the cabin which is not very serious though compared to other Marutis. But, I did expect this to hold on much better. The silver lining though there is absolutely no rattling in dashboard which has been the weak point thus far for maruti.

Well there are other things to worry. Contrary to majority who have shown displeasure with the stock tyres, my concern are the headlights. The design of the reflectors are here to be blamed. I did try with extreme visions to see the difference, but sadly no noticeable change. The lighting is good in city limits, but as soon as you hit the highways at night the ideal thing is to drive slow with these lights. Only way to improve is to increase the wattage or change the reflector assembly, either way we will loose the warranty.

Request members to suggest who have tasted some success in this regard.
sou_3749 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed