Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2016, 14:00   #6016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
I might have to settle for 1.3 zeta or ecosport in that case
If you can not go for the 1.6 Alpha due to budgetary constraints, I'd suggest going with the 1.3 Zeta or Alpha. The Ecosport is not going to appeal to you if you TD both cars back to back and compare pricing & features. Also note, the Ecosport is a small sub 4 meter car with lesser legroom than the S-Cross.
Old 5th November 2016, 14:37   #6017
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunejarahul View Post
If you can not go for the 1.6 Alpha due to budgetary constraints, I'd suggest going with the 1.3 Zeta or Alpha. The Ecosport is not going to appeal to you if you TD both cars back to back and compare pricing & features. Also note, the Ecosport is a small sub 4 meter car with lesser legroom than the S-Cross.
Sub 4 meter car does have its own benefits like it is compact and easier for city use. It also has a higher seating position with a GC of 200 mm vs 18x mm of the s-cross. The titanium plus version comes with 6 airbags vs just 2 on the s-cross. It does come with push button start and leather interiors, so why should i buy an s-cross?
Old 5th November 2016, 14:55   #6018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Sub 4 meter car does have its own benefits like it is compact and easier for city use. It also has a higher seating position with a GC of 200 mm vs 18x mm of the s-cross. The titanium plus version comes with 6 airbags vs just 2 on the s-cross. It does come with push button start and leather interiors, so why should i buy an s-cross?
Is the situation something like some one is putting a gun on your head and asking you to buy S-Cross?. Each and every one has their own preferences and they go by that. You have all the freedom under the sun to proceed with Ecosport. Ultimately it boils down to what an individual look for in a vehicle.

Last edited by Sree73 : 5th November 2016 at 14:56.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 15:00   #6019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Is the situation something like some one is putting a gun on your head and asking you to buy S-Cross?. Each and every one has their own preferences and they go by that. You have all the freedom under the sun to proceed with Ecosport. Ultimately it boils down to what an individual look for in a vehicle.
Exactly. This is what I am trying to say. How would you know if someone else would be happy in this car vs another car when they are basically in the same price bracket and are a part of the competition. Any sane person who is looking at the s-cross has also seriously considered the ecosport. It is also a god car and we should not be saying that if you are happy with s-cross, then you will be unhappy with the ecosport. Both the car as its own merits, the end user should weigh the pros and cons.
Old 5th November 2016, 15:58   #6020
BHPian

I was a person who considered the ecosport. I too was happy with the six airbags in the titanium version and the slightly better build. But the poor ride and cramped interiors put me off. I felt more at home in the s cross cabin than in a Ford ecosport. Everyone has their own reasons to buy the vehicles they choose. For me the seating comfort,ride and handling, more premium interiors and maruti peace of mind were more important than 4 additional airbags and 2cm of ground clearance.
Old 5th November 2016, 19:15   #6021
BHPian

What's the on road price of S cross 1.6 alpha in Bangalore?

Are there any offers going on?

How is the performance of the 1.6 while climbing steep slopes. Does it run out off power?
Old 5th November 2016, 19:30   #6022
BHPian

I finally got a chance to test drive the S-Cross 1.3 today. I have never owned a diesel car and my driving of diesel vehicles has been limited. The car seems pretty solid - certainly the build seems better than the Baleno. The engine is fairly quiet. I wanted to test out the Navigation but the TD car did not have an SD card. Except for the window buttons which did not seem illuminated, the rest of the fit and finish was certainly better than any Suzuki I've sat in. Lots of hard plastic though. The TD car had clocked over 15,000 kms and the engine was as quiet as a mouse - this was a pleasant surprise. Although the official review states otherwise, I found a significant difference when utilizing the recline feature of the back seat, and headrest did not seem to protrude.

The drive itself was uneventful in a residential area - since my driving is going to be in the city 95% of the time; I did not wish to be swayed by driving it on the Eastern freeway although the customer service chap did offer to let me.

My wife drove it as well and she was pretty pleased. She likes driving bigger cars and I prefer hatchbacks the size of the i20 or Baleno. She is keen on acquiring the Creta but to be honest the interiors are exactly the same as our Elite i20. Once inside, we wouldn't feel very different. Having said that, for all its market share - neither the quality of the interiors nor the fit and finish of the Suzuki are a patch on the Hyundai. The S-Cross ticked all the boxes; space, Bluetooth, Navigation, Apple Car Play, cruise control, touch screen Ice, competent drive. But something seemed amiss. To use a cricketing analogy - it is like Virat Kohli - all seems perfectly fine - but it is still not Tendulkar �� . It is still going to be my primary choice whilst I decide over the next month or so.

Last edited by invidious : 5th November 2016 at 19:32.
Old 5th November 2016, 20:37   #6023
BHPian

Am in the market for a S-Cross 1.3 Alpha. Have test driven it and found it competent enough for my 95% city driving and occasional highway rides.
One question I have for existing owners - how does the Bi-xenons measure up, especially during rains?
Since Maruti does not give any headlamp washer, is it possible to get a aftermarket fitment done? Washers are easily available, wanted to know if fitting them in would be possible.
Old 5th November 2016, 20:47   #6024
BHPian

Bixenons in rains are just adequate. I d like to have brighter headlamps. But as the xenon is not very blue it does illuminate the road ahead well. But without the foglamps i am not confident on driving in rain. Someway down the line i am planning to get stronger fog lamp bulbs.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 21:44   #6025
Sip
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post

How is the performance of the 1.6 while climbing steep slopes. Does it run out off power?
It should climb any climbable road in first gear without any hiccup whatsoever in uninterrupted climb. But some people reported difficulty when they stop midway in a steep climb and then resume climb. This problem should aggravate with increase in height above MSL. Excess interplay of cluth-brake- throttle need to be resorted to achieve climb in such case. Rest everything is easy meat for the beast under the hood!

Last edited by Sip : 5th November 2016 at 21:55.
Old 5th November 2016, 21:55   #6026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Bixenons in rains are just adequate. I d like to have brighter headlamps. But as the xenon is not very blue it does illuminate the road ahead well. But without the foglamps i am not confident on driving in rain. Someway down the line i am planning to get stronger fog lamp bulbs.
Thanks! That is what I thought. We would require stronger fog lamps.
Any idea whether S-Cross has a dummy slot available where headlamp washer can be installed?
I missed checking that during my interaction with the car
Old 5th November 2016, 22:01   #6027
BHPian

I had given my S-Cross for 20K KM service last week and had requested to address the sound coming from the driver seat when I take sharp turns or going over speed breakers / pot holes. I was told that some mounting screw of the driver seat was tightened.

But the problem still persists. Get an irritating 'tuk tuk' sound from the driver seat mounting (That's my feel) in almost all occasions of sharp turn / going over speed breakers / pot holes. Any one facing such an issue with the S-Cross? I can live with that, but it's really irritating to get that sound very frequently.
Old 6th November 2016, 00:19   #6028
BANNED

Quote:
Get an irritating 'tuk tuk' sound from the driver seat mounting (That's my feel) in almost all occasions of sharp turn / going over speed breakers / pot holes.
Why don't you ask them to lubricate the seat rails and moving parts? If that solves the issue then your good to go.

I had a similar squeak from the seat base when 'getting-in' and 'getting-out' of the seat. At the 70K service they applied grease on certain points on the seat base, the squeaks were gone.
Old 6th November 2016, 08:16   #6029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why don't you ask them to lubricate the seat rails and moving parts? If that solves the issue then your good to go.

I had a similar squeak from the seat base when 'getting-in' and 'getting-out' of the seat. At the 70K service they applied grease on certain points on the seat base, the squeaks were gone.
Thanks Anurag for the inputs.
Seat rails checked now and they are well lubricated. I drive with the seat height adjustment kept at the maximum. Let me keep the height at the lowest and check. Will update if any change is there.
Old 6th November 2016, 09:14   #6030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seat rails checked now and they are well lubricated. I drive with the seat height adjustment kept at the maximum. Let me keep the height at the lowest and check. Will update if any change is there.
Our Swift had a clicking noise from the driver seat throughout its life, I recall making a note of this in the ownership report too.The service guys could never get it corrected. It used to be there whenever you take a corner aggressively.

I used to keep the seat at the lowest position always. So not sure whether that's going to help. From what I know, it's coming from the height adjustment mechanism. None of lower variants that I drove had this issue.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks