Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2016, 09:17   #6136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

My 1.6 Beast : TOT Remap with XP Micro Projector

Car has done more than 9000 KM and going strong. This is the best car amongst 7 cars in my garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20161120wa0002.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 20th November 2016 at 09:18.
Dr.Naren is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 22:51   #6137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
Maruti has surprised folks and how.
Shows they are listening to customers and probably taking steps to beautify the weak spots of this wonderful car.
Bring on the new front grill that the European version wears. That would be a game changer.
Uh, I beg to differ. If Maruti was really serious about reviving sales, they would sketch up plans to bring in the international facelift to India sooner.

I had a chat with one of the RMs the other day and as per him Maruti had no plans whatsoever to bring it in anytime soon this year. Infact he mentioned about the 3-yr facelift cycle.

All that they are bothered about right now is bringing in the Baleno RS, Ignis & updated Swift cousins.

Mid 2018 should see this arriving in India & the product would be dead by then. Killed by the delay & competition. Sorry to say but the S-cross will never survive long enough to be a game changer in any shape or form.
Old 21st November 2016, 12:42   #6138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy481 View Post
The car was manufactured after the booking was done, that is, in first week or early second week of November. Due to some issues with the local Nexa dealer not being able to provide the estimate regarding the delivery date, there was some resentment shown by us. As a result the owner of the dealership had the car delivered on priority. In fact, the car was the only one in the whole trailer when it was delivered.
According to the vin decoding done by me based on forums, the manufacturing date comes to be December 2016. The tyres themselves are October manufactured.
If that is the case I missed the new alloys by a whisker. I booked my car on 8th Oct and car reached Pune on 04/11. So looks like my gaadi was one of the last with the old alloys. Don't mind them too much but the new one's look smoking.

Got underbody coating done by 3 M. Cost me 4800/- which is about 5000 bucks less than what the dealer was quoting. 1 st service coming up in 1 1/2 weeks of ownership.

One more issue about the extended warranty which I have noticed. It's issued by dealer and is valid only if I get the car serviced from the dealer where I bought it. I feel this is a scam as I should be able to get my car serviced with any authorised dealership... At least that what was with my Indica, Palio and Linea.

Last edited by Palio_2005 : 21st November 2016 at 12:46. Reason: Addition of comments
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 13:57   #6139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post

One more issue about the extended warranty which I have noticed. It's issued by dealer and is valid only if I get the car serviced from the dealer where I bought it. I feel this is a scam as I should be able to get my car serviced with any authorised dealership... At least that what was with my Indica, Palio and Linea.
This should not be the case unless and until you have been sold a specific dealer warranty and not manufacturer warranty.

For e.g. when I bought my Dzire a few years back, there was a Maruti Extended Warranty for 4 yrs and a Dealer specific warranty which was for 5 years.

The RM was trying his level best to sell me the dealer warranty but I went in for the Maruti one which is honored by all Maruti Dealers whereas the Dealer warranty which is only applicable at that specific Dealer.

To be eligible for Maruti Extended Warranty, you need to get the car serviced at any Maruti Authorized Service station but for warranty claims/replacements, you will have to go to a Dealer Server Station

Last edited by f1fan : 21st November 2016 at 13:59.
Old 21st November 2016, 23:03   #6140
BHPian

Lately I have been driving my S-Cross 1.6 daily( I usually drive a petrol sx4 and my dad drives the S-Cross) and I have two issues with it:-

1) When I'm driving around in the city and say I'm in third gear at a speed of around 40km/hr. Now if the car in front of me slows down a bit, I apply the brakes and decrease the speed to around 28-30km/hr. The RPM reaches around the 1k mark. Now when I want to get a move on, since the RPMs are quite low I naturally downshift to second and let the clutch out and try to move. But the issue is, whenever I do this, the Car jerks a bit and it feels as if I have downshifted a bit early than I was supposed to. Otherwise i need to slow down the car furthermore and then downshift to second to get a move on.The car tries to jump forward in third gear at low speeds, so coasting in 3rd isn't an option. I don't face any of such issues while driving my sx4.

2) There's a pungent odour coming from the car aircon. Whenever it is in the "fan mode" with AC off, there's this pungent odour that's quite uncomfortable to the passengers inside the car. As soon as, I switch the AC ON, it goes away. So I would like to know what's causing it as well. My AC is generally set to recirculation mode. Although I did try setting it to the fresh air mode to see if the odour goes away but It didn't work.

Would be great to have your inputs on my two queries

Last edited by nimit3105 : 21st November 2016 at 23:04.
Old 22nd November 2016, 08:41   #6141
Sip
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
Lately I have been driving my S-Cross 1.6 daily( I usually drive a petrol sx4 and my dad drives the S-Cross) and I have two issues with it:-
IMHO in 3rd gear car pulls from 30 kmph comfortably without any throttle input so I do engage 2nd gear below 30 kmph speed. Also 2nd gear seems much slower since you can hit 100 kmph in 3rd gear. So speed slightly below 30 Kmph may be on higher side for 2 and gear.

This odour may not be pungent but bad and seems to be originated from lubes heating/ burning. I didn't notice this in recirculation mode. This can also be felt outside in garage / or near hood. Only good thing is that its for short duration. And its recent phenomenon (few days old) tempt me to question its relation with cold weather!

Last edited by ampere : 22nd November 2016 at 14:07. Reason: Snipped quoted post
Old 22nd November 2016, 11:53   #6142
BHPian

Quote:
1) When I'm driving around in the city and say I'm in third gear at a speed of around 40km/hr. Now if the car in front of me slows down a bit, I apply the brakes and decrease the speed to around 28-30km/hr. The RPM reaches around the 1k mark. Now when I want to get a move on, since the RPMs are quite low I naturally downshift to second and let the clutch out and try to move. But the issue is, whenever I do this, the Car jerks a bit and it feels as if I have downshifted a bit early than I was supposed to. Otherwise i need to slow down the car furthermore and then downshift to second to get a move on.The car tries to jump forward in third gear at low speeds, so coasting in 3rd isn't an option. I don't face any of such issues while driving my sx4.
Yes Nimit. I too have experienced this behavior. There appears to be a speed range (25-30 kmph) which seems to be too slow for 3rd gear but too high for second gear - hence there is a jerk sometimes when we downshift from 3rd to second.

However, I have mostly experienced this only when I show some urgency in the drive. In normal driving, I downshift to 2nd only below 25 and also, in some cases, I disengage the clutch for a second longer which also eliminates the jerk. At times it is irritating - this is after driving the car for 13.5k kms
Old 22nd November 2016, 14:14   #6143
BHPian

Quote:

Petrol engines have a much lighter flywheel and hence when you let out the clutch in 2nd gear, there's no jerk as the engine can come up to the required RPM rather easily.

On the other hand, in heavy diesel engines, the engine is reluctant to come up to speed as you're letting out the clutch. You can slip the clutch a little while letting it out, or you can master the art of blipping the throttle a little before letting the clutch out.

At 30, shift into second, blip the throttle for a second to let the RPM rise to ~1700-2000 RPM and then let out the clutch immediately. See how smooth the shift is. And spend the next few weeks perfecting this move
Old 22nd November 2016, 16:32   #6144
Sip
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
At 30, shift into second, blip the throttle for a second to let the RPM rise to ~1700-2000 RPM and then let out the clutch immediately. See how smooth the shift is. And spend the next few weeks perfecting this move
There are vibrations felt in clutch during gear change beyond 1750 RPMs so I tend to change gears below 1500 RPMs with assumption of minimising clutch wear and tear in this manner
Old 22nd November 2016, 18:18   #6145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
There are vibrations felt in clutch during gear change beyond 1750 RPMs so I tend to change gears below 1500 RPMs with assumption of minimising clutch wear and tear in this manner
I hope you do not lug or strain the engine in an attempt to save the clutch . When you shift below 1500 RPM, the RPM would further drop and you are literally in that famous turbo lag zone of 1.6 S-Cross. I have faced no issues shifting at above 2000 RPM.
Old 22nd November 2016, 18:36   #6146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I hope you do not lug or strain the engine in an attempt to save the clutch . When you shift below 1500 RPM, the RPM would further drop and you are literally in that famous turbo lag zone of 1.6 S-Cross. I have faced no issues shifting at above 2000 RPM.
I usually upshift at 3000 rpm and rarely below 2000 rpm. I get better mileage too when i keep the engine in the turbo zone
speed crusader is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 18:45   #6147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed crusader View Post
I usually upshift at 3000 rpm and rarely below 2000 rpm. I get better mileage too when i keep the engine in the turbo zone
I usually shift at around 2500 RPM. But I have faced no issues shifting at higher revvs. But if I shift below 1500 RPM, the revvs drop to around 1200-1300 and the engine goes into turbo lag zone. Post remap, I enjoy shifting at 3500 RPM and the car just pulls like a train .
Old 22nd November 2016, 18:56   #6148
BHPian

Quote:
I usually shift at around 2500 RPM. But I have faced no issues shifting at higher revvs. But if I shift below 1500 RPM, the revvs drop to around 1200-1300 and the engine goes into turbo lag zone. Post remap, I enjoy shifting at 3500 RPM and the car just pulls like a train .
I agree on the RPM drop post upshift. Was contemplating a remap myself but will forgo for now. Am happy with it as it is
Old 22nd November 2016, 19:58   #6149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed crusader View Post
I agree on the RPM drop post upshift. Was contemplating a remap myself but will forgo for now. Am happy with it as it is
Remap is not a need for 1.6 S-Cross . Engine is a gem and one of the best car from Maruti stable. I have experienced about how a remap totally transforms the car. I just couldn't resist for longer and remapped my 1.6 with just 4000 KM on ODO .
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 20:06   #6150
Sip
BHPian

Quote:
I hope you do not lug or strain the engine in an attempt to save the clutch . When you shift below 1500 RPM, the RPM would further drop and you are literally in that famous turbo lag zone of 1.6 S-Cross.
No I do it only for gear changing purpose and like to get back to turbo zone after gear change. Turbo lag in 3rd or 4th gear is not an issue provided requisite speed as per gear is maintained. I think engine has got enough in it
Sip is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks