Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2017, 22:25   #6676
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post

Be aware that Kochi cops are keen on picking up dual tone cars and charging them, if not mentioned in the RC book....
I think Brezza cars ZDI+ colour is mentioned as dual tone in RC book.
The RC of my Punto Sport clearly mentions as "Red, top Black".

AFAIK, the action of Kochi police is after a car dealer (not Fiat, and don't ask me of which manufacturer, it's very easy to guess!) has lodged a complaint wth the EKM RTO. The same dealer is also about to complain with the TVM RTO too. Maybe he has the company's backing or more likely, directions.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 31st January 2017 at 22:32.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 04:38   #6677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renownedalmond View Post
Which one would be suited for my needs and can I go for a bigger sidewall from the factory-fitted 205/55 to 215/65 without compromising too much on the handling of the vehicle?
Congratulations !!!

I feel you are slightly mis informed. Stock size is 205/60R16.
If you go with 215/60, the dia and speedo error will be (on positive side) by ~2% which is within limits. Here the GC will also improve by ~6mm.
The size you quoted, 215/65, will offset the dia/speedo error by a margin of 5.1%, which is not advisable.

Also, the stock size of 205/60 is adequately sized for S-Cross. You can look for better quality tyres in the stock size itself.

Last edited by Sree73 : 1st February 2017 at 04:57.
Sree73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 08:49   #6678
Senior - BHPian

OT:

Quote:
Be aware that Kochi cops are keen on picking up dual tone cars and charging them, if not mentioned in the RC book. My colleague's ecosport with a black vinyl roof was charged and he was asked to bring the "dewrapped" car to the station for getting his RC back.
A friend has a similar wrap on his i20. Gloss black wrap on a red car. I think I have shared the pics in the i20 official review thread.

He made an entry in the RC book through the RTO. Just a sticker which says 'black roof'. And contrary to popular belief, it wasn't much of an hassle. But the RTO was KL 64 (Chalakudy), so not sure how it will be at the busier ones like KL 7.

And do note, it won't stop you from being pulled over. But then you can face the cops with a lot of confidence.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 10:12   #6679
Distinguished - BHPian

Many 1.6 owners have reported about difficulty in climbing inclines and how it's a pain to get the car moving if stuck halfway on inclines. I too had encountered this scenario couple of times. But maintaining adequate/ higher revv would solve this. Also I got my car remapped few months back and I was surprised to find it today that the car took the same incline effortlessly ( with just 1000 RPM). On my stock map, I had to pick up some speeds and then take the incline. With remap, I started from idle right at the beginning of incline and car managed it effortlessly. I have tried to demonstrate this on a video. Hope its helpful.

Cheers!!

Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 10:50   #6680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
With remap, I started from idle right at the beginning of incline and car managed it effortlessly. I have tried to demonstrate this on a video. Hope its helpful.

Cheers!!
I would be surprised if the remap aided you in climbing it any easier than the stock map. At such low RPMs, there would be hardly any difference in Torque compared to the stock map. The car would've climbed that slope with zero throttle input, and idle torque alone.
Old 1st February 2017, 11:21   #6681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
I would be surprised if the remap aided you in climbing it any easier than the stock map.
Same here, even I am surprised!!

Quote:
At such low RPMs, there would be hardly any difference in Torque compared to the stock map.
Yes, there won't be much difference. But it is making a difference right enough to help in this scenario.

Quote:
The car would've climbed that slope with zero throttle input, and idle torque alone.
Nope, never!! Both stock and remapped 1.6 couldn't take this slope with zero throttle input. Yes, my 1.3 SX4 would climb till halfway with zero throttle and then the engine would lug.

Not to forget, I tried the same slope before in stock map and later after remap
Old 1st February 2017, 11:24   #6682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
OT:

But the RTO was KL 64 (Chalakudy), so not sure how it will be at the busier ones like KL 7.
Thanks, will check with RTO. Guess I have to present the car before the officer to make the entry in RC. Mine is KL 38, not a busy RT office like KL 7 .
Old 1st February 2017, 11:29   #6683
BHPian

So friends, here I am - back with an update - another not so great update Really sorry for the VERY LONG post

The day before Republic day, my parents made an adhoc plan to go to Thiruvannamalai. We left to the temple town from Bangalore on Thursday morning around 7 am. We took the Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Uthangarai - Chengam - Thiruvannamalai route suggested by Google maps. Though the road condition was ranging from OK to bad, all was well till we were around 30 minutes from the temple.

Around 10-15 kms before Chengam a seemingly good stretch of road all of a sudden presented a very rough patch and there was a dip in the road level as well. I was somewhere around 80-100 kmph then. I braked - but not very hard - as I did not anticipate the condition of the road accurately. In a second, I realized that the 180 mm ground clearance was just not enough. For the first time ever, something scraped the car's under body - there was a small sound of something hitting the under body.

Mistake 1: I did not inspect the under body. I kept driving as I was sure the tire was fine.

In 15 minutes as we crossed Chengam town - I see the Engine Oil level Indicator coming on and I immediately stopped the car. Right when I saw the indicator, I realized that the under body scrap had damaged the oil sump. Stepped out of the car and a simple check below the car proved my doubts to be correct.

Called Maruti RSA and came to know that their service centers were closed for the National Holiday. I had 2 options

Option 1: Tow the car to Tiruvannamalai and leave the car at the service center and then collect the car back once the repairs are done. This might need me to travel to Tiruvannamalai once or more. But unknown service center. 0 expertise in handling S-Cross 1.6.

Option 2: Tow the car to Bangalore and get the repair done there. But towing will cost me ~Rs. 9000.

Mistake 2: Reached out to a local mechanic to evaluate the issue.

He checked and said that this is a common issue here and has fixed the same issue 4 times that week. I believed him when he pointed the exact location when he said that is where his last client - a Skoda Rapid - faced this issue. He said the issue can be solved with M-Seal and it will be a permanent fix. If required, I can check t he car once it is in Bangalore. Dad insisted to get the fix and drive to Bangalore and get the car checked there the next day. Having my mom, dad, wife and kid - I was confused. Should I take a risk going through the quick fix or should I ask my family to take a bus or travel in the car being towed. Hesitantly, I chose to listen to my dad.

The mechanic fixed the hole using M-Seal and let it dry for around 1 hour. The he topped up the engine oil (5+ litres) and made sure there was no leak. We asked him if he drained the engine oil before topping up. He said the sump was already empty. I took his word. Started the engine and the error was gone. Checked again and checked again - No leak. I thought it was all good.

Decided to drive back slowly and this time, took a different route. Chengam - Thirupathur - Bargur - Krishnagiri - Bangalore. Drove slowly and did not exceed 60 kmph. As we crossed Tirupathur and were coming close to Bargur I started hearing a buzzing sound from the engine bay. I sensed something was seriously wrong. It was already dark and the road was deserted. Did not want to risk stopping there. In 10 minutes I reached the highway and 2 minutes into the highway I saw the Engine Malfunction light coming on. Stopped then and there - called Maruti RSA again. Arranged for towing and towed the car to Bangalore. Dropped the car at Bimal Mahadevapura. All the way I was blaming my stupidity and my dad was guilty and repeatedly telling we should have towed it the first time itself.

Next Day (Friday) I spent all my day in Bimal service center explaining the accident, going through the OBD errors and trying to understand the bigger picture and arranging for Insurance. I was clearly told that towing charges of Rs 1500 and Oil Sump will be covered in Insurance but any further damage will not be covered in warranty or insurance. I agreed as it was a risk I took and I am liable to pay for any damages that was caused because of the risk I took.

OBD error
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-obd-error.jpg

Error Explanation
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-error-description.jpg

After seeing the errors, the SA feels it could be because of the oil topup exceeding the 5.25 L capacity and the excess oil getting splashed into other components like turbo. Another probability he said is that the turbo could have started facing issue in the 15 minutes that drove after the oil sump started leaking and probably it worsened as I drove after making the quick fix. All said, it does not look or sound really good to me.

Current Situation
The car is in Bimal Service Center. Part has been order and the price is ~Rs. 12k. Insurance Survey is done and will most probably get approved. I will lose Rs 3.5k NCB - renewal due in 10 days. Service center will open the car and check for further damage once the new oil sump arrive. I am dead scared that something would have happened to the turbo because of a stupid decision I made. I hope there is nothing major and the issue can be sorted out. Waiting for the parts to arrive and hope there is no major shock.
Vigkey is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 11:34   #6684
BHPian

Quote:
Great wrap there dude..!!
Thanks!!! Yes, heard about Kochi police targeting dual tone cars. My frequent trips are between Thrissur-Thodupuzha and mostly during early morning/late evening hours and checking is very minimal during this time. Anyways I will try to get the 'black color on roof' entered in RC.
Old 1st February 2017, 11:51   #6685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
The car would've climbed that slope with zero throttle input, and idle torque alone.
It should, but the S-cross 1.6 does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
The he topped up the engine oil (5+ litres) and made sure there was no leak.
Vig,

Very very very UNFORTUNATE incident !!
Should have towed the car to Bangalore @ Rs 9000 which would have been covered by insurance.

Topping up the engine oil was the BIGGEST mistake.

Quote:
Current Situation
The car is in Bimal Service Center. Part has been order and the price is ~Rs. 12k. Insurance Survey is done and will most probably get approved. I will lose Rs 3.5k NCB - renewal due in 10 days. Service center will open the car and check for further damage once the new oil sump arrive. I am dead scared that something would have happened to the turbo because of a stupid decision I made. I hope there is nothing major and the issue can be sorted out. Waiting for the parts to arrive and hope there is no major shock.
Could you find more details about the part being ordered ?
Please insist on thorough inspection, intercooler cleaning, EGR check and turbo.

Last edited by kpzen : 1st February 2017 at 11:53.
kpzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 11:54   #6686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
@dudevarkey: Neat job by 3M Kochi. Why did you leave that thin area on top of doors unwrapped? I think it would be looked better if you had wrapped that part too
Thanks doc!!!

I had asked them to cover that area also, but they were a bit hesitant to do that, they would have done it if the door visor was not there. I asked them to wrap the remaining parts and thought of taking a decision after finishing other areas. I had my doubts about the wrap coming off when exposed to sunlight (after seeing the way they cover the ORVMs) and hence decided to opt out from covering the top of the door. My doubt proved to be right, the wrap on the left ORVM which is exposed to sun light already shrunk exposing the white paint beneath. Now I will have to drive back to Kochi and get it corrected.

As you suggested in an earlier post, I think it is better to go for black cover instead of wrap. I was planning to leave the ORVM unwrapped, but when they quoted Rs. 900 for wrapping both mirrors, I agreed for it.

Last edited by dudevarkey : 1st February 2017 at 11:57.
Old 1st February 2017, 12:03   #6687
BHPian

Yesterday I saw an S-Cross 1.6L run only about 21,000km with original JKs. The tread depth was ok but i could see that rubber had been chipped off in many places, especially on the front tyres.

Is this normal with the JKs on the 1.6?
Old 1st February 2017, 12:13   #6688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Vig,

Very very very UNFORTUNATE incident !!
Should have towed the car to Bangalore @ Rs 9000 which would have been covered by insurance.

Topping up the engine oil was the BIGGEST mistake.
Totally Agree!

But like GTO's signature says, "Retrospect is always the genius; it's foresight that really counts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Could you find more details about the part being ordered ?
Please insist on thorough inspection, intercooler cleaning, EGR check and turbo.
Part ordered is the oil sump itself. I will be present at the service center when the work will be done. Will personally make sure everything is checked and all issues are sorted out before I take the delivery.
Old 1st February 2017, 12:13   #6689

Quote:
So friends, here I am - back with an update - another not so great update Really sorry for the VERY LONG post
Very unfortunate incident Vigkey.. I am hoping that there is no further damage. I would like to see you getting your vehicle back soon.
Identity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 12:29   #6690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
The tread depth was ok but i could see that rubber had been chipped off in many places, especially on the front tyres.
Is this normal with the JKs on the 1.6?
I think JKs are famous (or notorious) for rubber getting chipped off. One of my colleagues has his Dzire running on JKs and pieces of rubber have been chipped off in many areas. I am running with my stock JKs, but my S-Cross 1.3 has done only 4500 kms, so it is too early to comment on the quality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks