Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2017, 15:08   #6811
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

I am planning to upgraded the stock HID on my 1.6. Reading some of the posts, I find Osram D2S 35w Xenarc Night Breaker Unlimited 66240XNB HID Xenon Bulb to be the best.

Can anyone tell me if this involves playing with the wiring and electricals or is this just a plug and play kind of operation?
Old 26th February 2017, 16:16   #6812
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasi View Post
I am planning to upgraded the stock HID on my 1.6. Reading some of the posts, I find Osram D2S 35w Xenarc Night Breaker Unlimited 66240XNB HID Xenon Bulb to be the best.
S-Cross has D5S bulb, the bulb is integrated with igniter. I don't think D2S bulb would be direct fit into stock projector.
Old 27th February 2017, 12:09   #6813
Distinguished - BHPian

Nexa Spare Parts : Loot the customers!!

S-Cross is global replacement of SX4 and many parts are being shared. But Maruti has given different part numbers and also charging a premium for same part.

I have both SX4 and S-Cross. I wanted to confirm if brake pads are same and yes they were exactly same size and make. But Maruti charges 750Rs more for the same in S-Cross. I am not sure if it's better quality on S-Cross. I couldn't make out any difference.

S-Cross Brake Pad : 2750 Rs
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20170227wa0003.jpg

SX4 Brake Pad : 2000 Rs
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20170227wa0005.jpg

Comparo :
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20170227wa0006.jpg

Want to save 750 bucks? Order SX4 brake pads in any MGP store and fit them in your S-Cross . Also I have heard that front brake discs, lower arm, struts, wipers etc are also same. I will confirm them and also check the pricing.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 27th February 2017 at 12:10.
Dr.Naren is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 12:16   #6814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Nexa Spare Parts : Loot the customers!!

S-Cross is global replacement of SX4 and many parts are being shared. But Maruti has given different part numbers and also charging a premium for same part.
Yes its true. Both the SX4 and S cross are from Global C platform, which means most of the spares, if not all, are interchangeable. Even the Brezza shares the same platform, so in terms of "fitting", you can install even Brezza's brake pads (logically). This was the same reason why I recommended you Brezza's alloys, and they fit beautifully without any issues.

However, I am not too sure if this price difference is because of the S-Cross having more powerful engine, so better brakes. May be the quality is different. It's a lot of speculation, but one question from my end too-Is the brake pad same (part no wise) on the 1.3 and 1.6 S cross?? This should clarify a lot of things.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 27th February 2017 at 12:40.
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 12:21   #6815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
However, I am not too sure if this price difference is because of the S-Cross having more powerful engine, so better brakes. May be the quality is different. It's a lot of speculation, but one question from my end too-Is the brake pad same (part no wise) on the 1.3 and 1.6 S cross?? This should clarify a lot of things.
Obviously the MGP part numbers are different. Maruti uses different part numbers. The car model code comes into play here. I would say the quality has become worse. My SX4 brake pads lasted 35K Km and only 15K km in S-Cross

SX4 : 55810M55K00
S-Cross : 55810M65M00

P.S : I misread your post. Yes the brake pads part number for both 1.3 and 1.6 S-Cross are same.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 27th February 2017 at 12:34.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 12:49   #6816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Obviously the MGP part numbers are different. Maruti uses different part numbers. The car model code comes into play here. I would say the quality has become worse. My SX4 brake pads lasted 35K Km and only 15K km in S-Cross

SX4 : 55810M55K00
S-Cross : 55810M65M00

P.S : I misread your post. Yes the brake pads part number for both 1.3 and 1.6 S-Cross are same.
My car is at 26000 KMS and still on first set of brake pads. But then mine is 1.3 and I drive at medium speed mostly.
sudeepg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 12:52   #6817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
My car is at 26000 KMS and still on first set of brake pads. But then mine is 1.3 and I drive at medium speed mostly.
Yes, it might be due to me pushing the S-Cross 1.6 . Also we have around 50 plus 1.6 Owners in our whats app group and many have reported brake pads change at 20-22K KM.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 21:40   #6818
BHPian

I drove an S-Cross 1.3 for around 350 kms the other day, from Ayodhya to Gorakhpur and from Gorakhpur to Lucknow. I hadn't driven this engine in any vehicle earlier for any substantial distance.

The engine appeared to be smooth and sweet. And quiet too (I regularly drive a Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI otherwise). That makes this comparison possible.

I hope this engine is this quiet in the Fiat Linea/Punto too (or does the S-Cross have more noise insulation?)

I have felt mainly two ergonomic issues. One is the arm-rest interfering with gear-shifting and the other one is the unreachability of the horn-pad for the thumb. Not sure whether others too felt this.

The S-Cross is good in ride overall but still I did not feel that it offers the firm ride of my Ford.

Though the steering was weighing up in speed, it is still much behind when compared to the feel offered by the old Ford's steering.

Vip.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 27th February 2017 at 21:47.
Vipin Kumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 02:47   #6819
BHPian

Today marks the completion of 4 months of ownership, the odometer is at 17,773 kms.

Here is the summary of my ownership:
  • Most of the kms were covered on highways, my recent 2500 kms trip gave me a FE of 20.4 kmpl and Delhi-Mumbai-Delhi gave me 19.2 kmpl. I avoid driving the car within the city, my dad extracts 22 kmpl on his daily office runs.
  • Ride quality at moderate to high speed is good, at low speed one can feel the stiffness of the suspension.
  • Brakes and handling is good but JKs on the car don't inspire enough confidence when you apply brakes at high speed and when you corner hard.
  • Wiper blades are crappy, will replace them at 20,000 kms service. I miss the rear wash/wipe on my car(1.3 Delta).
  • Headlights are just about average. I was thinking of getting the fog lamps installed but I want something better, alloys are on priority now.
  • Paint quality is bad, thankfully another 2 months and then our car will have a proper parking place, now it is parked on the main street.
This is our 1st diesel car, I hate the noise from the engine, it is always audible. I strictly idle the car before moving and before switching it off for 1 minute. The turbo lag does get you inside the city and on inclines if you are in the wrong gear. Our car won't be seeing much of highways in the coming month as we prepare to shift our residence. In April, I will swap the steel rims with alloys and also get the rear spoiler fitted.

Picture from a recent early morning solo drive:
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_6095.jpg
sinharishi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 08:15   #6820
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Today marks the completion of 4 months of ownership, the odometer is at 17,773 kms.
18K in 4 months ! Do you ever get back home ?

Jokes apart that is really fantastic running.

How bad is the diesel clatter? I understand its your first diesel. Considering its the same 1.3, would like to hear from all on how is noise masking on this DDIS compared to rest of products based on the same engine.
In fact it would be a good comparative study on how efficient are noise masking schemes across the same engine based product lines. I hope some one takes it up.

Last edited by ampere : 28th February 2017 at 08:17.
ampere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 09:06   #6821
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
The turbo lag does get you inside the city and on inclines if you are in the wrong gear.
Change the gears a little later than you normally do, and you should be fine.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 09:48   #6822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How bad is the diesel clatter? I...I hope some one takes it up.
One comparison is done here & it also appears to be heartening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
The engine appeared to be smooth and sweet. And quiet too (I regularly drive a Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI otherwise). That makes this comparison possible.

I hope this engine is this quiet in the Fiat Linea/Punto too (or does the S-Cross have more noise insulation?)
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 10:13   #6823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
18K in 4 months

While this does seem to be shocking, I recently saw a Renault Duster RXE Diesel, a Dec 29th 2016 Registered Car with 30154 kms.

Its a November 2016 make, I cross checked the odometer & the trip meter, while the trip meter was showing 655.8 kms, the odometer was showing 30154 kms.

This car is in Tumkur. It's a private registered one. So, 537 kms/day ? Makes me wonder how the owner might be using it ?
Old 28th February 2017, 16:55   #6824
BHPian

Confirmed: No facelift of S-cross in April 2017. Facelift likely only late 2017 or early 2018.
There is no 1.4 booster jet planned for S-cross in April. It will remain the same. They recently upgraded the Zeta model to include reverse parking camera and also the alloy wheels were updated. Given these changes happened around December like reverse parking camera inclusion in Zeta, no chances of update so soon.

No discounts on S-cross. Maybe that was the reason they asked adi to wait.

Nexa RM says that for any new launch, they have training in advance and there has been no such news with him at all.

So we can forget 1.4 boosterjet in April as it is not coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I took a test drive of the 1.6 and I was so excited I immediately sat down for the final negotiations and quotation.

That's when I told him my offer, I told him to round it off at that number which was almost same as the BRV i-VTEC. That's when he asked me to make a quick Google search for 1.4 booster jet, and then he tells me that this is already being deployed in the international face-lift which is being exported from India and soon we expect the same to hit our showrooms. So pls wait till April.

As I told him that I plan to take immediate delivery, why would he push me till April? May be they have no stocks of 1.6, or company has asked them to push for 1.3, and may be actually the 1.4 will indeed hit showrooms in April with a much better price tag than the diesel.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 22:29   #6825
BHPian

Quote:
18K in 4 months ! Do you ever get back home ?

Jokes apart that is really fantastic running.

How bad is the diesel clatter? I understand its your first diesel. Considering its the same 1.3, would like to hear from all on how is noise masking on this DDIS compared to rest of products based on the same engine.
In fact it would be a good comparative study on how efficient are noise masking schemes across the same engine based product lines. I hope some one takes it up.
I don't have much experience using the 1.3 MJD across products, but it's definitely more silent (noise insulated) in the S-Cross. When I take the office cabs which run on these engines, I can hear the engine very well inside the cabin and there is also a lot of knocking. But that may be just because of the crappy way in which the taxis are driven.

Post re-map, my car definitely feels better and perhaps that may be one of the reasons why I don't feel the turbo lag much. I had taken my s-cross on a highway trip last weekend - to Calicut, kerala. I had fun on the ghats with the second and third gears. Out ran a fortuner for a while (purely because the drive of the fortuner was not really using the potential of the car) but wherever possible I was able to keep up fairly well. I am pretty sure without a remap, the turbo lag would have been terrible. My car does get noisy post 3000 RPM though. At 4000 and upto 5000 RPM, the clatter is very audible and annoying.
sudeepg is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks