BHPian

30000km update

30000km service completed
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-s-cross.jpg
Replaced engine oil and oil filter
Fixed the dashboard rattles
Allignment and tyre rotationdone
This time Sai Nexa did not mess up and hence had a satisfactory experience
Hippo is going strong. No major issues except for few dashboard rattles at lower revs. I have been consistently getting around 16kmpl for mixed higway and city runs. Suspensions have stiffened up a bit, appreciated by rear seat passengers. Had asked them to look in to it, but they reported no issues. 4 months more to complete 2 years.

Last edited by sandygordon : 13th April 2017 at 10:44.
sandygordon is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 12:03   #7187
BHPian

Re: 30000km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
30000km service completed
Attachment 1629288
Replaced engine oil and oil filter
======
Had asked them to look in to it, but they reported no issues. 4 months more to complete 2 years.
Could you please share how much it cost you? If possible kindly attach the bills.
During my 20K service, I asked for wheel balancing, alignment, rotation and during delivery I noticed that one wheel was not rotated (it has small scratch). When I asked them about the same they said based on balancing only they would rotate so they did 3 wheel rotation. I didn't understand much so couldn't make an argument.
What they are saying is correct?
Can I get the balancing, alignment and rotation outside?

Thanks!!
Old 13th April 2017, 12:05   #7188
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
P.S: What's your take on Ecosport? Premium hatch / Cross over / SUV?
I am not sure about these categories for Ecosport. To me, it looks like a powerful raised hatchback. Some owners (and the Ford salesperson at Elite Ford) term it as a compact SUV. Maybe it all depends on how owners intend to use this vehicle? As a city hatch or as an SUV in rugged terrains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunejarahul View Post
If you go by definition, then cars like Brezza, Ecosport, S-Cross and even Creta fall under the category of "Crossover Cars". I wouldn't take a lot of time explaining, please google & wiki the details. In India, terms like "SUV", "MUV", "LUV", "Crossover" etc are actually just marketing gimmicks. Apart from your usual Hatchbacks, Sedans & SUV segments, the Indian market has grown a potential for a new segment (Etios Cross, Cross Polo, i20 Active, Ecosport, Brezza, S-Cross) over the last few years. The lines are blurred when defining a proper Crossover, Premium Hatchback & SUV nowadays. In plain words, if you build a car that is not a hatchback, not a sedan and not a proper SUV then you have to term it something to gain a Marketing advantage and to justify a higher price tag.
Thanks, this answers my question: "Is it because Maruti markets the vehicle as a crossover?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Been waiting for someone to ask this question!!
Thanks for the detailed reply. Do you think the definition of hatchback/crossover/SUV varies in different countries? I mean, what is sold as a crossover here might be considered a hatchback in another country?

(P.S.: The reason I am asking all these questions: My family is on a lookout for our next car and have zeroed in on scross 1.3. I am having regular debates with my friends (most of them Duster fanboys) whether Scross is a hatch or a crossover.)
Old 13th April 2017, 12:06   #7189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
been consistently getting around 16kmpl for mixed higway and city runs
At what speeds on highway? Reason to ask, mine is not getting past 14.5 Kmpl on mixed; hardly 18.5 Kmpl on highway & city, I'm yet to test. Mine is mostly 120 Kmph with occasional burst & super bursts, say once in 250 odd Km or so.

If the speeds cannot be discussed in public, please PM me. Tks
Old 13th April 2017, 12:13   #7190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply. Do you think the definition of hatchback/crossover/SUV varies in different countries? I mean, what is sold as a crossover here might be considered a hatchback in another country?

(P.S.: The reason I am asking all these questions: My family is on a lookout for our next car and have zeroed in on scross 1.3. I am having regular debates with my friends (most of them Duster fanboys) whether Scross is a hatch or a crossover.)
S-Cross is not available in US but in Europe it is referred as Crossover too. So you can safely make an argument that is a crossover .

I found nice information about different vehicles in the below link:

http://www.motoraty.com/blog/2014/08...dan-crossover/

Quote:
Crossovers

Also referred as CUV(Crossover Utility Vehicle) it is built on a car platform, which merges features of an SUV and Hatchback, hence the name crossover. It usually has a high centre of gravity, high ground clearance, independent rear wheel suspension and superior fuel economy like sedans. Crossovers are available in Front-wheel drives, Rear-Wheel Drives and All-Wheel Drives depending on the manufacturer; as they are not designed for any off-road capability like the SUV. Popular vehicles in this category are the Ford Edge, BMW X1 and Audi Q3.
jaganpec2002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 12:13   #7191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am having regular debates with my friends (most of them Duster fanboys) whether Scross is a hatch or a crossover.)
Haha, no wonder why you were confused and asked the question.

Remember one thing : "You are buying the car and you are going to drive". I have S-Cross 1.6 Alpha and have faced many questions like "Why did you pay 15 lakhs for a big Maruti hatch"?. I just smile and ask them to take a test drive and nobody asked the same thing again.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 13th April 2017 at 12:15.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 12:26   #7192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you think the definition of hatchback/crossover/SUV varies in different countries? I mean, what is sold as a crossover here might be considered a hatchback in another country?
Here's what Wikipedia & Global Suzuki website has to say...
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-w.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-s.jpg

Quote:
My family is on a lookout for our next car and have zeroed in on scross 1.3. I am having regular debates with my friends (most of them Duster fanboys) whether Scross is a hatch or a crossover.)
So if they're all keen on following international standards for buying a car, then, the ideal sedan they should all be looking should be - Hyundai Sonata, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry because even a car like Chevy Cruze is considered as compact sedan while Civic, Jazz, Nissan Sunny & even Corolla are all small cars And yes Duster is compact SUV which is not sold in one of the biggest market USA.

For some reason I'm reminded of the conversation between the Nexa SA & I while we were at RTO. I was all in praise of the SCross & telling SA on why the car could not make decent sales because of so & so features based on my analysis. So the SA summed up everything in one sentence. He said, "Sir who analyzes so much to buy car these days? Most people these days want to buy a big car standing in front of their house, and all they care is their car is biggest in the street, has awesome looks & most importantly bigger car than their neighbor"

Quote:
"You are buying the car and you are going to drive"
Well said!!

Quote:
I just smile and ask them to take a test drive and nobody asked the same thing again.
You're a patience guy; if I'm in good mood, I say just 3 words, "I liked it"; if I'm in bad mood, I ensure to leave them scared, very scared about driving their car next time

Last edited by aargee : 13th April 2017 at 12:31.
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 12:37   #7193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post
Could you please share how much it cost you? If possible kindly attach the bills.
During my 20K service, I asked for wheel balancing, alignment, rotation and during delivery I noticed that one wheel was not rotated (it has small scratch). When I asked them about the same they said based on balancing only they would rotate so they did 3 wheel rotation. I didn't understand much so couldn't make an argument.
What they are saying is correct?

Thanks!!
Wheel balancing is usually done during rotation, balancing is required to generally reduce vibrations. Wheel alignment is done when you feel the car is pulling to one side more frequently. Its a good practice to check for balancing during rotation. AFAIK, I am not sure what the SA has said is true.

3 wheel rotation?!! I am sure they have not rotated at all...
arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 13:06   #7194
BHPian

Well, I usually feel bad for people discussing if it is a hatchback or SUV or crossover. Like doc said, it is as simple as "Do I like the car? Does it suit my requirement?" If the answer is Yes for both, go ahead and buy.

In my personal opinion, to call a car as SUV, the bare minimum is good ground clearance + AWD or 4WD. If not, it is not as an SUV. Going by this Duster AWD is a compact SUV to me and S-Cross is not. Ecosport and others are not even close. And, to me, sedan range starts from Civic, Corolla, Elantra, Cruze range. All others including City and Ciaz are compact sedans to me. And the cars without boot is a hatchback.

Crossover is a tricky segment. Basically, you can make any hatchback a crossover. To me, Crossover is primarily a hatchback which inherits some qualities of an SUV. e.g. High Ground Clearance. S-Cross, Ecosport, i20 Active, WR-V are all crossovers while Cross Polo or Etios Cross are not. Simply adding black cladding does not make a car a crossover.

Quote:
Well, why would you even care You like the car and it suits you. How does it matter if it is a hatch or a cross? If they make "fun" of you for owning a hatch, I would gladly give them a smile and move on. Honestly, Ive got questions about the car choice only from people who have not sat in my S-Cross. After a drive, they understand what it is.

Quote:
At what speeds on highway? Reason to ask, mine is not getting past 14.5 Kmpl on mixed; hardly 18.5 Kmpl on highway & city, I'm yet to test. Mine is mostly 120 Kmph with occasional burst & super bursts, say once in 250 odd Km or so.

If the speeds cannot be discussed in public, please PM me. Tks
Sandygordon owns a Code 6 remapped 1.3 and you own a 1.6. Hope you get the drift.
Vigkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 13:17   #7195
BANNED

Quote:
When I asked them about the same they said based on balancing only they would rotate so they did 3 wheel rotation.
Absolute crap. Ask him to talk sense, not sure what that fellow was smoking.

3-wheel rotation ??! Does he think it was some auto rickshaw that he was working on?

Irrespective of what the balancing results are, 4 wheel rotation is to be done.

To me they just charged you for the job and did NOT perform it actually.

Last edited by a4anurag : 13th April 2017 at 13:18.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 15:05   #7196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I asked them about the same they said based on balancing only they would rotate so they did 3 wheel rotation. I didn't understand much so couldn't make an argument
I'm 100% sure you haven't read the owner's manual. Because, had you read it, there're 2 methods mentioned 4 & 5 wheel rotation & you could've immediately shown it to them asking if they knew something that Suzuki Japan doesn't know.

PS - If I were you, I would stop going there any further for the kind of knowledge & attitude they exhibit
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 16:10   #7197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
During my 20K service, I asked for wheel balancing, alignment, rotation and during delivery I noticed that one wheel was not rotated (it has small scratch).
Though their theory of 3 tyre rotation itself is strange and funny, mostly they just added the item in the bill and didn't bother to do balancing also. May be since one wheel had a mark you were able to notice the same. Mostly they just cleaned the wheels and left it that way.

Quote:
Yes. There are reputed shops to which you can take your vehicle. Check out the same here.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 16:33   #7198
BHPian

Normally how can one say that they have rotated all the 4 wheels and done the wheel balancing stuff? Do we mark the tyres or wheels in any manner before it is done? Should we ask them do the stuff in front of our eyes ? This is all frightening me. Also, what is the cost of wheel balancing and rotation in service station versus the shops outside?
Old 13th April 2017, 16:45   #7199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Wheel balancing is usually done during rotation, balancing is required to generally reduce vibrations. Wheel alignment is done when you feel the car is pulling to one side more frequently. Its a good practice to check for balancing during rotation. AFAIK, I am not sure what the SA has said is true.

3 wheel rotation?!! I am sure they have not rotated at all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Absolute crap. Ask him to talk sense, not sure what that fellow was smoking.

3-wheel rotation ??! Does he think it was some auto rickshaw that he was working on?

Irrespective of what the balancing results are, 4 wheel rotation is to be done.

To me they just charged you for the job and did NOT perform it actually.
Quote:
I'm 100% sure you haven't read the owner's manual. Because, had you read it, there're 2 methods mentioned 4 & 5 wheel rotation & you could've immediately shown it to them asking if they knew something that Suzuki Japan doesn't know.

PS - If I were you, I would stop going there any further for the kind of knowledge & attitude they exhibit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Though their theory of 3 tyre rotation itself is strange and funny, mostly they just added the item in the bill and didn't bother to do balancing also. May be since one wheel had a mark you were able to notice the same. Mostly they just cleaned the wheels and left it that way.
Thanks for the response guys.
I called the Service Centre and raised this as an issue with my last service. They put me in conference with with the representative who serviced my car and he was able to identify me by the issue about the tyre not being rotated (He even remembered which tyre). He explained the procedure as: they will remove all the wheels, balance them first with weights and which ever is lighter they will put in the front and the rest at the back. Based on the weights they retained this tyre at the same position.

After your posts I read the user manual again about the 4-tyre rotation pattern and also online about wheel rotations. When I put to him about the rotation pattern he again explained the pattern is default but they decide based on the balancing/weights.

Finally I asked him if it is OK to raise the issue with maruti and if they give the same explanation I will be fine. He then requested me not to escalate to maruti as they would penalize him first and then only hear his explanation. He suggested I can escalate within the service center and talk to his GM and all before doing that.

What do you suggest?

P.S: I read the user manual completely within the first 2 days of my car delivery. But this 20K service was 1 year later so couldn't remember much . If it isn't for the scratch mark I wouldn't have noticed.

Last edited by jaganpec2002 : 13th April 2017 at 16:47.
Old 13th April 2017, 17:01   #7200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you suggest?
You're in Bangalore right? Simply go to Suraksha Maruti. Period!! They know to take care of both their customers as well as cars very well - http://www.marutisurakshaa.com/

Do not put your trust again with the guys who do half bake knowledge!! You can be fooled once, not your mistake, trusting them again is a choice you make!!
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed