Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2017, 13:26   #7231
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
How does the Scross 1.3 fare against Brezza in suspension/ride comfort, handling, braking and driving dynamics? I compared Scross 1.3 zeta with Brezza ZDI+ and feature wise both are equivalent except (1) Brezza has wider tyres & higher GC (2) Scross has rear disc brakes.
I will say just one word that can never be done perfectly in the after market - ENGINEERING!! SCross's engineering is top notch compared to Brezza. Did anyone mention Suzuki TECT body on SCross being superior?

Handling braking driving dynamics has already been answered extensively here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4181699
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 20:56   #7232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Do you own a 1.3 or a 1.6? Your ride looks fantastic with the hills in the backdrop. I assume the color is granite gray? ( I have booked one GG 1.3 myself scheduled to be delivered in a fortnight.) The FE is very good considering full load & AC. How was the rear seat comfort esp in the hills with 3 pax seated? did you observe any noticeable change in vehicle dynamics when fully loaded?
Its a 1.3 Delta. Congratulations on the booking.

Rear seats are comfortable, it can accommodate 3 medium size adults at ease. My passengers did not complain about anything as such. I try to keep the speed above 40 kmph on bad roads, below that the underlying stiffness is very evident, especially at the back.

I did not notice any change in the dynamics of the car, I always travel with minimum 4 passengers and a boot full of luggage.
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 21:33   #7233
Senior - BHPian

The S-Cross is an awesome car let down by just one thing - the frontal looks / low stance. We were at Nexa few weeks ago to checkout the Ignis & bang in the centre of the showroom was parked a white S-Cross. My wife, who till then had no interest in or even noticed the S-Cross on roads, was floored from the word go. The looks, space, seating, build etc - everything was spot on.

The S-Cross on sale in AU has way better looking front-end, which completely alters the car's looks & road-presence. Can't they get this here ?
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scrossau1.jpg
supremeBaleno is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 22:01   #7234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

The S-Cross on sale in AU has way better looking front-end, which completely alters the car's looks & road-presence. Can't they get this here ?
Attachment 1631369
This facelift is expected to be launched in India by October 2017.

Related thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...led-italy.html
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 15:48   #7235
BHPian

Thanks Naren. Agree S-cross is a way better car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Hyundai 1.6 CRDI excels in terms of refinement. 1.6 MJD is not noisy but not as refined as Hyundai.
1.6 MJD has more fans, true!! It's because of the car - S-Cross.
Thanks Rahul. I would like to understand on what metrics the 1.6 MJD of Fiat/Maruti performs better than than the 1.6 Hyundai CRDI
Here is the torque/horsepower curve of hopefully the same 1.6 Hyundai CRDI: http://www.automobile-catalog.com/cu..._110_7dct.html
Looks like 1.6 Hyundai hits peak torque at 1600 rpm and it is constant till 3200 rpm.

Not exactly the same as DDiS 320, the 1.6 Multijet diesel horsepower-torque curve is like this: http://www.automobile-catalog.com/cu...4x2_cross.html
Peak torque is higher for Fiat and is hit around 1800 rpm but it falls linearly and at 3200 Rpm, it is 35-40% down from peak torque
Would the linear higher torque not be better?

a) Power: 118 BHP vs. 126 BHP (Hyundai CRDi has higher power)
b) Torque: 320 nm vs. 260 nm (DDiS 320 has higher torque - but it comes at 1800 rpm and then falls lower)
c) Mileage: The DDiS 320 will give at-least 10% higher mileage than the Hyundai CRDI
d) Turbo Lag: Hyundai CRDi is better
e) Noise: Hyundai CRDi has almost no noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunejarahul View Post
The 1.6 MJD engine does perform significantly better than the CRDI. A
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 16:09   #7236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
I would like to understand on what metrics the 1.6 MJD of Fiat/Maruti performs better than than the 1.6 Hyundai CRDI
I guess you are missing the point. We don't just buy an engine! We buy the car as a whole where the engine for some can be a major deciding factor while for others the features on offer might be more important than the kind of engine on offer. So while 1.6MJD might be lower on power and the peak torque comes in earlier, the Engineering that has gone into the car as a whole is a superior package compared to the Hyundai. And driving the car in a way that is suited to the character of the engine is up to the driver. I got adapted to the nature of the engine in about 2 test drives of 8-10kms each. On the third instance I was able to drive it like i was driving it all my life!! Same way some might take a little while more but do get adapted to the nature of engine under the hood and start enjoying the drive!
abhinav.s is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 17:38   #7237
BHPian

I just finished Mumbai - Lucknow on my one year old S Cross 1.6 Alpha. I traveled with my 11 year old child just two of us hence drove with extra care. I took Nashik- Dhule - Indore - Bhopal - Vidisha - Sagar - Chhatarpur - Mahoba - Kanpur route with a night halt at Indore.

It was a butter smooth ride thanks to good roads and a wonderful suspension. I cherished the 320 ddis engine and overtaking Innovas, Fortuners and XUVs were effortless. High speeds are not even noticed in this car. AC was superb too as we drove during the day with outside temperature displaying mostly 43 deg celsius and my kid needed a bed sheet to cover herself while sleeping. With highly spirited driving and passing through several city traffic, we got an amazing mileage of 18 kmpl.

I congratulate fellow owners and strongly recommend to others for its superb drive-ability, excellent suspension and amazing mileage.

Last edited by Zappo : 21st April 2017 at 17:47. Reason: We do not support over-speeding on public roads.
ashtrix is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 16:15   #7238

Today, I observed a S cross 1.3 in front of me and it's rear end was sagging..a lot..with 3 passengers in rear. Has any one observed the same? Are there any owner reports of the car scraping during full load?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Did Delhi-Dharamshala-Delhi over the long weekend covering 1,050 kms. Got 18.2 KMPL overall with 80% AC, spirited driving in the plains and the hills with 5 people on board and boot full of luggage.

I enjoyed driving in the hills without making my passengers throw at the end of the journey. It was fun!

Attachment 1630423
Great Pic of with water stream and hills in background. Must have been a great trip. Did the car pull all right in hills / inclines. Does the rear end sag or car scrape with full load? Which gear rpm range felt best while going uphill / downhill in this car?

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd April 2017 at 17:51. Reason: Merged
Old 22nd April 2017, 16:53   #7239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1214 View Post
Today, I observed a S cross 1.3 in front of me and it's rear end was sagging..a lot..with 3 passengers in rear. Has any one observed the same? Are there any owner reports of the car scraping during full load?
I have driven on bad roads with 5 guys and full luggage. The rear doesn't scrap at all. The front bumper is prone to scraping under full load, if no precaution is taken.
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 17:54   #7240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1214 View Post
I have a 1.3 and have driven with 5 adults + 1 Kid + Bootful of luggage many times. No scraping. Don't worry
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 18:44   #7241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
We don't just buy an engine! We buy the car as a whole where the engine for some can be a major deciding factor while for others the features on offer might be more important than the kind of engine on offer
Well said

Most folks look up the engine, but who looks beyond? Who understands the pros & cons of a square engine? Who cares the benefits of an engine running with low CR? Who cares about stiffer suspension setup until they go over a pothole & car takes hit? Beyond all these, who takes up maintenance seriously until the ASC rips them for no reason & the umpteen emails to management goes straight to recycle bin? Data & facts are always pro biased to EU & Diesel engines especially with Fiat, its unquestionable even with their cars.

Most folks in here want a bigger car, not for themselves, but slightly bigger than their neighbors. A car is still a status symbol & not bought based on needs. When people don't understand what they're buying, then, they're bound to hate it in few years of time, as same as beauty.
aargee is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 00:06   #7242
BHPian

Agree Abhinav that the car is the package and the engine is a component. A great engine in a bad car would be of no use
What I was trying to do was to theoretically compare the performance of the 1.6 MJD of Fiat with the 1.6 CRDi of Hyundai on several parameters and not comparing Creta vs. S-cross. Given the 1.6 MJD is not on any other car that I am aware of in India, posted it here. Will post that to a separate thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I guess you are missing the point. We don't just buy an engine! We buy the car as a whole where the engine for some can be a major deciding factor while for others the features on offer might be more important than the kind of engine on offer.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 04:38   #7243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
What I was trying to do was to theoretically compare the performance of the 1.6 MJD of Fiat with the 1.6 CRDi of Hyundai on several parameters and not comparing Creta vs. S-cross. Given the 1.6 MJD is not on any other car that I am aware of in India, posted it here. Will post that to a separate thread.
My friend, you are in the process of buying a new car and not a spec-sheet! All your observations must be based on the real world performance of the car. Same thing goes for everything we buy be it computers, laptops, phones, etc. If you do not like the suspension of a car, or you do not like the ingress-egress, or you are not satisfied with the mileage, or you have trouble managing the turbo lag in city traffic, or the space isn't sufficient for you then all these statistics you talk about are going to go down the gutter. There is always a lot more to everything than their specifications or advertised media. Discussion of specifications and comparisons are always endless.
sunejarahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 05:45   #7244
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The S-Cross is an awesome car let down by just one thing - the frontal looks / low stance. We were at Nexa few weeks ago to checkout the Ignis & bang in the centre of the showroom was parked a white S-Cross. My wife, who till then had no interest in or even noticed the S-Cross on roads, was floored from the word go. The looks, space, seating, build etc - everything was spot on.

Attachment 1631369
Yes this AU / International spec is very nice indeed. And it comes with AWD/ 4WD too.
But then, in India, with the limited 4WD buyers and the typical "Kitna Deti Hai" mentality, I don't see Suzuki bringing this spec into this country in the near future.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 11:52   #7245
Distinguished - BHPian

I was going through the UK brochure and some interesting observations!!

1. 1.6 DDIS 2WD weighs 1275 Kg in India and 1290 Kg in UK. There is only 15 Kg difference and it should be due to extra airbags and other gizmos. Full points to Maruti for not compromising on the body shell.

2. 1.6 DDIS has lesser CO2 emissions than 1.0 booster jet and 1.4 booster jet engines. Who said bigger diesel engines are always more polluting?

3. 0-62 mph (UK) :

1.6 DDIS : 12 sec
1.0 Booster jet : 11 sec
1.4 Booster jet : 10.2 sec

Note : Open the image for better resolution
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-screenshot_20170424114300167_com.google.android.apps.docs.png  

Dr.Naren is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed