Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2017, 18:47   #7501
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
I have a question for S-Cross 1.6 owners, can you guys please confirm that the 1.6 comes with under body engine protection and if its a solid metal plate or is it made of plastic?
It's made of plastic, but it doesn't cover the entire area. Oil sump is exposed.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 18:54   #7502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
It's made of plastic, but it doesn't cover the entire area. Oil sump is exposed.
Ohh, I was under the impression that 1.6 comes with engine under body protection.

From the Team-BHP official review:

Quote:
Engine underbelly is protected by a metal sheet. You can't see the ground:
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-marutiscross08.jpg

Last edited by sinharishi : 27th May 2017 at 18:55.
Old 27th May 2017, 18:56   #7503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ohh, I was under the impression that 1.6 comes with engine under body protection.
I am sure it doesn't cover the entire area. Let me reconfirm if it's metal. I believe it's plastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20161216wa0011.jpg  

Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 00:16   #7504
ses

Quote:
A couple of pictures of the under body. You should be able to see what it covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-underbody1.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-underbody2.jpg  

ses is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 10:04   #7505
BHPian

Quote:
I am sure it doesn't cover the entire area. Let me reconfirm if it's metal. I believe it's plastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ses View Post
A couple of pictures of the under body. You should be able to see what it covers.
It is a plastic cover and does not cover the oil sump. One of the SAs told me that it is not covered in favour of air circulation to keep the area cooler. Personally, I don't buy the argument as Duster AWD does come with a full underbody metal cover.
If air circulation indeed is a requirement, nobody stopped them from giving a perforated cover. The oil sump is exposed big time and can get damaged. But then, let's not take the crossover tag too seriously. Always best to stick to good roads. The tall gearing is anyway not going to help things offroad.
srinitdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 11:39   #7506
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! There is no difference between the 1.3/1.6 under body protection, the oil sump is not protected .

Picture of my 1.3 Delta's under body:
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_5048.jpg
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 11:49   #7507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

From the Team-BHP official review:

Attachment 1642902
It's a plastic cover with a layer of cushion on top.

Quote:
Thank you! There is no difference between the 1.3/1.6 under body protection, the oil sump is not protected .

Picture of my 1.3 Delta's under body:
Attachment 1643413
1.3 engine being smaller in size, the sump is high up.
It will not take a hit easily.
kpzen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 12:25   #7508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudevarkey View Post
I got the black colour on top entered in RC. A sticker mentioning "Colour changed to Pearl Arctic White with Gloss Black Top" is pasted on the back side of the RC.

The procedure in Kerala-
Documents to be submitted: RC original & Insurance original along with a written application seeking permission to change the colour. I had applied for colour change from Pearl Arctic White to Pearl Arctic White with upper half body in Gloss Black.
Fee - Rs. 350/-

The documents along with fee remittance slip and a self addressed envelop with postal stamp of Rs. 25 pasted on it were submitted on 22nd April and I was given a receipt on which the date of return of the documents was written (26th April).

On 26th April, the documents along with a printed order sanctioning the colour change were collected from RTO. The order read something like this "Your application for alteration is received and you are required to present the vehicle for inspection after making the alteration".

I was advised to present the vehicle along with the documents at the inspection ground for physical inspection. As the wrap was already done, I took the vehicle for inspection the next Saturday. The MVI checked the vehicle and signed on the order sheet and took the papers with him and said the RC and insurance certificate would be sent to my address.

Last week I got the RC and insurance certificate delivered at my address.

Last edited by dudevarkey : 29th May 2017 at 12:27.
dudevarkey is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 13:50   #7509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudevarkey View Post
I got the black colour on top entered in RC. A sticker mentioning "Colour changed to Pearl Arctic White with Gloss Black Top" is pasted on the back side of the RC.

The procedure in Kerala-
Documents to be submitted: RC original & Insurance original along with a written application seeking permission to change the colour. I had applied for colour change from Pearl Arctic White to Pearl Arctic White with upper half body in Gloss Black.
Fee - Rs. 350/-

The documents along with fee remittance slip and a self addressed envelop with postal stamp of Rs. 25 pasted on it were submitted on 22nd April and I was given a receipt on which the date of return of the documents was written (26th April).

On 26th April, the documents along with a printed order sanctioning the colour change were collected from RTO. The order read something like this "Your application for alteration is received and you are required to present the vehicle for inspection after making the alteration".

I was advised to present the vehicle along with the documents at the inspection ground for physical inspection. As the wrap was already done, I took the vehicle for inspection the next Saturday. The MVI checked the vehicle and signed on the order sheet and took the papers with him and said the RC and insurance certificate would be sent to my address.

Last week I got the RC and insurance certificate delivered at my address.
Appears to be a quite seamless process. Only fasten up the process and the ideal system would be formed. The only downside with Indian RTO's is their inconsistencies. The process may be seamless for one whereas could become a headache for another. Still, with the current "Digital India" thing, there have been major improvements in the overall system and should only get better with time.
Old 29th May 2017, 16:54   #7510
BHPian

Quote:
can you guys please confirm that the 1.6 comes with under body engine protection and if its a solid metal plate or is it made of plastic?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinitdas View Post
It is a plastic cover and does not cover the oil sump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
It's a plastic cover with a layer of cushion on top.
Hope this below picture helps clarify the plastic and metal components in the under-body.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-underbody.jpeg

Also, as promised earlier I have posted details about the Insurance renewal, 3M frameless wipers and the much needed pampering to mark the ONE year ownership of my vehicle. Full report can be read here

3M frameless wipers do fit well and look neat.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-wiper1.jpg

Wipers in raised position
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-wiper2.jpg
Keynote is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 17:34   #7511
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post
Hope this below picture helps clarify the plastic and metal components in the under-body.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-underbody.jpeg
The metal parts which you have mentioned in the pic are

1. Radiator Support member :
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20170529_172825.jpg

2. Front suspension frame :
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-58.png

The underbody cover (meant for protection??) is fully made of plastic.
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 20:29   #7512
BHPian

Quote:
The metal parts which you have mentioned in the pic are Radiator Support member.... Front suspension frame :
The underbody cover (meant for protection??) is fully made of plastic.
Thank you for enlightening me about the metal parts being radiator support member and front suspension frame.
I NEVER said, underbody protection cover is metal in my illustration above. I ONLY demarcated the metal and plastic portions so that it is helpful for fellow bhpian sinharishi and also other bhpians who may be seeking similar answers.

Last edited by Keynote : 29th May 2017 at 20:54.
Old 29th May 2017, 20:37   #7513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post
Thank you for enlightening me.

Quote:
I NEVER said, underbody protection cover is metal in my illustration above. I ONLY demarcated the metal and plastic portions
There was some confusion if the underbody cover is made of metal and even the official review mentioned the same. I just clarified it and also have asked the moderators to correct it
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 13:11   #7514
BHPian

Yesterday was a bad day. I was returning from office through a narrow, winding road (Bellandur lake road for people in Bangalore). I was doing 40 KMPH as the road has many twists and turns. Suddenly a dog darted towards my car from left. There was no space to steer right as vehicles were approaching from opposite lane. I braked and prayed to save the dog (and also not to be rear-ended). The dog hit the car on the front left bumper, cried in pain and (I think) was pushed away from the road by the impact. It certainly did not come under the tyres. After few hundred meters, I stopped the car on the shoulder and inspected for damage at the front. The impact location is the black plastic skirt in the bumper just after the left fog light. There is a long scratch mark on the plastic but no visible crack, breakage or dent. Wheel well looks intact and fog lights are working.
Also, today morning I tried to observe any change in the vehicle characteristics due to yesterday's accident. I have noticed a faint 'wind whistle' type sound coming while revving post-1500 RPM. Normally I drive with music playing in the background, so I'm not sure whether this sound was earlier present or not. I'm worried whether this is due to any damage after hitting the dog. Should I take my car to MASS for internal inspection?

P.S.: After checking car damage, I walked back to check what happened to the dog. It was nowhere seen in the vicinity. So I am hopeful the poor creature survived and will be alright soon enough.
Old 30th May 2017, 16:41   #7515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Also, today morning I tried to observe any change in the vehicle characteristics due to yesterday's accident. I have noticed a faint 'wind whistle' type sound coming while revving post-1500 RPM. Normally I drive with music playing in the background, so I'm not sure whether this sound was earlier present or not. I'm worried whether this is due to any damage after hitting the dog. Should I take my car to MASS for internal inspection?

P.S.: After checking car damage, I walked back to check what happened to the dog. It was nowhere seen in the vicinity. So I am hopeful the poor creature survived and will be alright soon enough.
Check the intercooler. chances are, its broken from the joints and thats the whistle like sound you are hearing. Show it to a local garage guy, M-Seal does the job many a times, unless its got more damage, in that case you might have to replace it. Of course all this IF at all the intercooler has been damaged.
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks