Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2017, 17:09   #7981
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Most of the S-Cross 1.6 owners would be knowing that this engine is very sensitive to Fuel quality. Reliance diesel feels the best for this engine.

I have tried something new and done the testing as usual and presented with facts
I have been hearing similar reviews from many owners, including a Scorpio and a Punto. The Punto owner had once filled Diesel only(mostly) at Reliance when he drove from East to west and swears by it today that 3 weeks before when I accompanied him for a TD of his car before his next big drive, he insisted we fill up at the Reliance fuel station on Airport road as we were heading towards Hyderabad.

Would certainly want to try this out myself now at least once.

I was quite regular at Shell but since the last 2 years totally shifted to either BPCL or HPCL mainly owing to super long crowds at most of these outlets on Bellary road. After shifting, I tried hard to figure out what was good with shell. Of course I also learnt later where Shell gets its supply from and where others do .
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 17:47   #7982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I have been hearing similar reviews from many owners, including a Scorpio and a Punto. The Punto owner had once filled Diesel only(mostly) at Reliance when he drove from East to west and swears by it today that 3 weeks before when I accompanied him
I know many S-Cross owners who would even drive 20 KM more and fill Reliance diesel . The owner who I met yesterday had filled only Reliance diesel during his Delhi to Bangalore drive. There are no Reliance bunks here in Mysore and I fill at Shell (less chance of adulteration hopefully)
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 19:51   #7983
BHPian

As per NDTV Car & Bike, S Cross Facelift will be launched on 26th September, 2017. Now, the bookings will be opened officially.

Still, there is no firm news on the engine options, but most of the leaks point to skipping 1.6l engine.
Old 5th September 2017, 20:49   #7984
BHPian

Its been 2 years with my hippo
37k km later, I dont feel like choosing anything else in future.
Hoping that Maruti will retain the 1.6 engine. If they do retain the 1.6 L engine another S cross will be in my shopping list next year end. I heard MSIL has plans for the Grand Vitara next year (with a 2 L diesel). With the news of Maruti axing 1.6 and + engines, I feel that wont happen in 2018. Eagerly waiting for Maruti's decision
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-s-cross-tbhp.jpg
sandygordon is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 21:24   #7985
BHPian

Last 10 days was the best time of my ownership period. Covered 4,700 kms driving from Delhi to Mumbai, Hampi and Goa

Odometer crossed 40,000 kms couple of days back

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_9448.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-21317832_10211944886631995_2774272319064560742_n.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-capture.jpg
sinharishi is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 15:08   #7986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Sales of utility vehicles, including Gypsy, Grand Vitara, Ertiga, S-Cross and compact SUV Vitara Brezza increased by 27.6% to 21,442 units in August, from 16,806 units in the same month of 2016.
August sales figures

Gypsy - 922
Ertiga - 6076
S-Cross - 48
Brezza - 14396.

Source
http://www.autopunditz.com/
Old 6th September 2017, 16:10   #7987
BHPian

From Autocar India, 6th Sept.'17: "Significantly, this 1.3-litre diesel hybrid will now be the sole engine on offer as Maruti has decided to pull the plug on the larger 1.6-litre diesel-powered version of its crossover. This engine was also sourced from Fiat and powered the top-spec variant of the S-Cross. However, it found few takers due to its high pricing. There is no petrol engine on offer yet, which is contrary to expectations about Suzuki’s 1.4-litre booster jet engine that was likely to make its debut."

Last edited by Eddy : 6th September 2017 at 16:11. Reason: fixed quotes
John is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 13:50   #7988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
"... as Maruti has decided to pull the plug on the larger 1.6-litre diesel-powered version of its crossover. ..."
2 minutes silence for the Maruti loyalist Indian enthusiast.

Even if that engine was not selling, it still made a lot of sense to retain it. It gave the premium image to the S Cross. After all, the crossover isn't truly premium till you have an engine that matches.

The real deal for maruti here is cost cutting I guess. With a smaller engine, the chassis need not be as rigid, the suspension need not be as good. Assuming that 1.6 engine made up only 5% of S cross volumes, but the design of 100% of all components was as per 1.6 litre standards, now maruti can actually go ahead and cut costs for the entire range. Might be far fetched skepticism, but the new S Cross might not be as solid as the older one (Just like Honda City). Maruti has just put a lot of potholes in its journey towards premium customers.
srinitdas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 14:28   #7989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Would certainly want to try this out myself now at least once.
Parag, Do try once.

I tried once and after that I always refill at Reliance bunk in Hassan bypass on my drives to Managalore.
Engine becomes more responsive and I usually get a bonus kilometer per liter.

Doc is the main catalyst behind shifting to Reliance for long drives
prasanna_indaje is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 15:19   #7990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinitdas View Post
2 minutes silence for the Maruti loyalist Indian enthusiast.

Even if that engine was not selling, it still made a lot of sense to retain it. It gave the premium image to the S Cross. After all, the crossover isn't truly premium till you have an engine that matches.

The real deal for maruti here is cost cutting I guess. With a smaller engine, the chassis need not be as rigid, the suspension need not be as good. Assuming that 1.6 engine made up only 5% of S cross volumes, but the design of 100% of all components was as per 1.6 litre standards, now maruti can actually go ahead and cut costs for the entire range. Might be far fetched skepticism, but the new S Cross might not be as solid as the older one (Just like Honda City). Maruti has just put a lot of potholes in its journey towards premium customers.

It appears that the 1.3 mill is also on its way out!

http://www.autocarindia.com/car-news...-decade-405882
John is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 13:59   #7991
BHPian

Completed 2 years with my Zeta 1.3 on the 6th at 29589 on the ODO. Being the first weekend after reaching the milestone, it was about time to get the 30k service done.

I usually do not stay with my car in the bay for the service. However, I always make it a point to get the engine oil changed in front of me. Continuing with the habit, I was at the bay with the mechanic when the car was lifted. The engine oil filter was taken out and dumped into the bin but the oil sump was completely smeared by engine oil. The oil change had to be postponed as the sump would require a recast and reseal. The car was run for under 500km in the last 2 weeks and I'm sure nothing hit the car's under belly.

The engine oil level wasn't critical, no noticeable problem with driving and no warnings were flashed for the 500km of drive. The mechanic couldn't explain the cause for this leakage. The car will be delivered approx 3 hours later than the promised time, replacement engine oil filter will be fitted along with the new oil in front of me at around 5pm.

On the job card, in the service estimate section the advisor has marked 0W40 instead of the 5W30 mentioned in the manual. On bringing it to his notice, he said the 0W40 is a better oil which wasn't available back in 2015 hence the manual doesn't mention it. The oil cost quoted on the job card is ₹3500 which is approx 40% higher than the 5W30. Uptil now I have decided to stick to 5W30 despite a lot of insistence from the advisor.

The total estimate given is ₹9000 incl taxes which includes ₹3000 for service and ₹3500 for 0W40 oil. Also, the AC filter is being compulsorily replaced. I didn't get a chance to check the current status of the air filter and AC filter. ₹350 has been estimated for each.

Any comments on this would be appreciated. I am attaching pictures of the job card and the engine oil sump for anyone who'd be interested. Thanks..
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20170909_125700.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-screenshot_20170909135605.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-screenshot_20170909135649.jpg  

Old 9th September 2017, 14:23   #7992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunejarahul View Post
On bringing it to his notice, he said the 0W40 is a better oil which wasn't available back in 2015 hence the manual doesn't mention it.
Whom he is trying to fool around. 0W-40 is available in India at-least from early 2000. The argument of 0W-40 being not available in 2015 and hence the manufacturer went for 5W30 is not at all a valid one. Manufacturer has their own reasons on going for 5W30.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 14:37   #7993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunejarahul View Post
I was at the bay with the mechanic when the car was lifted. The engine oil filter was taken out and dumped into the bin but the oil sump was completely smeared by engine oil. The oil change had to be postponed as the sump would require a recast and reseal. The car was run for under 500km in the last 2 weeks and I'm sure nothing hit the car's under belly.
Rahul,

Most likely, the oil sump seal gasket is the culprit here.
Hope they have replaced that. (I don't see that in the job card).

MASS cannot recast the oil sump.
Always keep an eye on the oil level and stick to one type of oil. (manufacturer specs recommended)

Lastly, always get the issues recorded in invoice/job card for record and future use(if required).
Old 9th September 2017, 15:03   #7994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Whom he is trying to fool around. 0W-40 is available in India at-least from early 2000. The argument of 0W-40 being not available in 2015 and hence the manufacturer went for 5W30 is not at all a valid one. Manufacturer has their own reasons on going for 5W30.
As mentioned earlier, I am sticking to the manual as I am never comfortable going against the recommendation of the manufacturer, also avoiding unwanted expenditures. Thanks for the quick reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Rahul,

Most likely, the oil sump seal gasket is the culprit here.
Hope they have replaced that. (I don't see that in the job card).

MASS cannot recast the oil sump.
Always keep an eye on the oil level and stick to one type of oil. (manufacturer specs recommended)

Lastly, always get the issues recorded in invoice/job card for record and future use(if required).
Yes. I was clueless on the "recast" word used by the servicing mechanic, had to confirm it with the advisor over call. The gasket seal has been replaced and since it hasn't dried up yet there is another 90 minutes delay in the oil filter fitment.

The advisor called to inform that they wouldn't carry out the wheel alignment, balancing and four wheel rotation jobs as the rims are aftermarket ones. These weren't put in the estimate either. On clarifying about the gasket seal, he said it would be mentioned in the final bill and would be covered under warranty so no additional charges there. Will make sure it is recorded though. Thanks! 👍🏻
Old 10th September 2017, 09:36   #7995
Distinguished - BHPian

S-Cross Alpha : Plug & Play light upgrade

S-Cross Alpha has Bi-Xenon projectors with just 25W Philips D5S bulbs. D5S bulbs have a small ballast integrated with bulb. There was no plug and play bulb upgrade available for long time. There is a very good option available now from Morimoto / TRS USA. Morimoto has introduced 35W D5S bulbs. This is fully plug and play. The brightness should be increased by around 40 percent. No wire splicing and no warranty issues : complete peace of mind. So all looks good huh?? Not really, I feel that the pricing is very expensive at 350 USD. But this is the best option for those who do not mind paying premium for 100 percent peace of mind.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-screenshot_20170910093025242_com.miui.gallery.png
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-screenshot_20170910093042253_com.miui.gallery.png
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-screenshot_20170910093034192_com.miui.gallery.png

Quote:
FIRST MOVER: Since the introduction of the D5 bulbs to original-equipment world, there's been a couple shoddy attempts by the aftermarket to offer an "upgrade" - nothing more than D1 bulbs with wiring rigged to their inputs that A) didnt fit properly, and B) required splicing the factory harness. The XB D5 from Morimoto is the FIRST bulb that's designed to be a true D5 upgrade. Factory fitment. Factory wiring. Aftermarket First!

LUMINOSITY: Sure it's nice to be able to pick a higher Kelvin like 5500K or 6500K, but that's not even the best part! All Philips and Osram D5 Bulbs only run at 25W, but the integrated ballast in the base of the XB pumps out 35w. What that means for you? An easy 40% bump in output compared to stock bulbs! Paired with the cooler Kelvin rating that not only looks better, but provides better contrast while driving at night - the XB D5 bulbs are undoubtedly the best way to boost the performance from your headlights.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bu...to-xb-hid.html

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 10th September 2017 at 09:38.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks