Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2019, 13:18   #8836
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Hi Guys,
I was a tyre for shop for alignment/balancing for my 2016 S-Cross and i enquired for tyre options.
I was suprised to hear that the old S-Cross can take both tyre specs on the same Rims:
205/60/R16
215/60/R16

The factory spec is 205, how can the same rim take 215 without any issue?
djkher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 10:08   #8837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
My new S Cross is giving me a mileage of 12-12.5 KMPL in Delhi. Is this in line with the mileage that everyone gets?

I was hopeful that it'll be more around 15-16 in the city.
Hi Coolkurt,

I am also driving a new SCross, less than 4 months old. I realized... if you constantly drive within the city with constant start-stop traffic, mileage tends to drop significantly, and it takes considerable constant driving thereafter for it to improve. Revving beyond 2500 RPM to feel the turbo is fun, but instantly kills mileage.

Solution: Stick to 4th gear, and only move to 5th gear once you are beyond 60. I usually get a city mileage of 17-18kmpl in Gurgaon Cyber City traffic. Intermittent highway drives better it.

I recently did Gurgaon - Chandigarh - Gurgaon, and clocked a mileage of 28kmpl.

Happy driving!
arnavpaitandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 10:23   #8838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
The factory spec is 205, how can the same rim take 215 without any issue?
Thats the simplest upsize one can do. No surprise there at all. The rims are always capable of taking at least 1 step wider tyres. The simple reason for that is - while the patch is wider by a centimeter, the width of the inner ring of the tyre increases very marginally in comparison.

You'll often see people upsize from 185 to 195. From 215 to even 235 in some cases. Its pretty standard.

Generally the car makers give thinner tyres as stock setup because they are cheaper (the tyres ) & they also give better fuel economy in ARAI tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnavpaitandy View Post
Hi Coolkurt,
I am also driving a new SCross, less than 4 months old. I realized... if you constantly drive within the city with constant start-stop traffic, mileage tends to drop significantly
Mileage drops significantly for any car in city traffic, don't worry. We keep burning the fuel at idle but the car doesn't move any distance at that expense. So net mileage drops. Something we have to live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnavpaitandy View Post
and it takes considerable constant driving thereafter for it to improve.
This is a bit confusing. I assume you mean it takes time for the mileage number on the MID to improve?

Let's take an example -
  • You set Trip A to 0 and start journey
  • You burnt up 1 liter diesel in traffic for only 10 kms due to B2B scenario
  • Then you hit the highway and actually went a good 28 kms in 1 liter diesel at nice consistent 80kmph

Net out come? you spent 2 liters of diesel for 38 kms. MID will show 19 kmpl for TRIP A.

Now take another example -
  • You set Trip A to 0 and start journey
  • You burnt up 1 liter diesel in traffic for only 10 kms due to B2B scenario
  • Then you hit the highway, and set Trip B to 0 immediately
  • Now you go a good 28 kms in 1 liter diesel at nice consistent 80kmph

You'll see immediate 28kmpl mileage on the MID for Trip B and won't have to spend considerable time driving to "see" an improvement in mileage.
And for Trip A - you'll see the FE number as different when compared to Trip B.

The instantaneous mileage increases immediately by standard engineering functions of internal combustion engines. Its simply the logic of the MID calculating the fuel efficiency per trip as Distance travelled divided by fuel burnt that makes it seem like it took time to increase the mileage.

Last edited by Reinhard : 12th August 2019 at 10:36.
Reinhard is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 21:06   #8839
BHPian

Just did Delhi-Agra-Delhi via Yamuna Expressway. S-Cross has aged so well! The ride comfort and stability on this Maruti is exceptional. Did a sprint this time, both ways and got an overall FE of 17.5 KMPL.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20190811_10322501.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20190811_10324801.jpg
sinharishi is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 22:10   #8840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Thats the simplest upsize one can do. No surprise there at all. The rims are always capable of taking at least 1 step wider tyres. The simple reason for that is - while the patch is wider by a centimeter, the width of the inner ring of the tyre increases very marginally in comparison..
Hi Reinhard,

Really appreciate your detailed analysis. Yes, I was referring to mileage improving as per the MID.

Followed Scenario 1, driving from Delhi to Chandigarh. MID showed about 20.x kmpl. During return trip from Chandigarh, achieved 28kmpl based on scenario 2. Reset the mileage counter after hitting the highway.

I'm not very good at mathematics, but happy with the mileage. Did a tank full in Chandigarh, and been more than a week of daily driving in Gurgaon. Fuel gauge still shows a quarter tank full... so, inshore... I'm happy happy happy.

--------------
Moderators, I'm really sorry, if I'm posting it in the wrong forum... but couldn't resist myself. We know that SCross facelift does look like a X1 copy, but someone really rendered it into a X0.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/08/15/i...-goes-bit-far/

--------------

What is the function of 'Lane Change' in the MID menu? Didn't seem to do anything to me.

Last edited by Eddy : 14th August 2019 at 09:02. Reason: Please do not type back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Use the edit option. Thanks.
arnavpaitandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 11:19   #8841
BANNED

Is there a clarity about the future of SCross in India? If not, the sales will plummet even sharply hereafter.

Maruti Chairman mentioned yesterday that Brezza will get a Petrol engine in this financial year, but didn't mention anything about SCross. It's the only car other than Brezza in Maruti stable that is Diesel-only, and they have not yet plonked their new 1.5L Diesel engine in it. My assumption is that they will wait for the natural death of the SCross post the BS-VI deadline. XL6 may be its replacement in the Nexa showrooms.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 14th August 2019 at 11:30.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 12:09   #8842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Is there a clarity about the future of SCross in India? If not, the sales will plummet even sharply hereafter.

Maruti Chairman mentioned yesterday that Brezza will get a Petrol engine in this financial year, but didn't mention anything about SCross. It's the only car other than Brezza in Maruti stable that is Diesel-only, and they have not yet plonked their new 1.5L Diesel engine in it. My assumption is that they will wait for the natural death of the SCross post the BS-VI deadline. XL6 may be its replacement in the Nexa showrooms.
Not exactly. XL6 cannot be SCross' replacement. They are totally different things. XL6 is Ertiga and nothing else. It cannot replace SCross. I have driven SCross and own an Ertiga. SCross' class is way superior and hence I strongly feel next gen SCross will have 1.5 diesel. May be they are just waiting for 1.3 stock clearance. And why should there be any concern? SCross had their 1.6 engine version, so it should be fairly easy for Maruti to put on 1.5. A simple announcement of 1.5 diesel on SCross will pull down their 1.3 SCross numbers

Last edited by rajivtelang : 14th August 2019 at 12:11.
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 10:09   #8843
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodest View Post
Dear Guys,

2. Lately, shifting from 2nd gear to 3rd gear is become VERY DIFFICULT some times.
I have been having this issue with my Scross Zeta (May 2017, Run 39k KMS). Wondering if it could be the synchros. Planning to to take to MASS tomorrow.
Old 18th August 2019, 09:13   #8844
BHPian

Having driven my 17-month old S-Cross over 46,000 kms the stock JK tires have almost worn out. I am considering a replacement. Please suggest which ones to go for. I am willing to pay a higher price for longevity and better driving experience. Do also tell about the difference between your choice and the stock JK tires.
Old 18th August 2019, 10:09   #8845
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygupta2 View Post
Please suggest which ones to go for. I am willing to pay a higher price for longevity and better driving experience. Do also tell about the difference between your choice and the stock JK tires.
Stock 205/60 R16 Size

1. Michelin P4ST for long life, low noise and comfort. It has decent grip, steering feel and braking too.

2. Continental MC5 for grip, steering feel and braking. Ride comfort is decent, but the tyres get noisy with usage.

3. Yokohama BluEarth is very VFM if you buy from Amazon. Many S-Cross owners have got it this way. I call these tires as "Jack of all trades , Master of none".

4. MRF Perfinza for PERFORMANCE! I strongly recommend these tires for enthusiasts. The price is good too, cheaper than Michelin & Continental. There are only 3 Stage 3 200 HP S-Cross 1.6 in India and all are running on Perfinza's

Any tyre mentioned above would show significant difference over JK Elanzo.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 18th August 2019 at 10:12.
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 10:58   #8846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Stock 205/60 R16 Size

1. Michelin P4ST for long life, low noise and comfort. It has decent grip, steering feel and braking too.

2. Continental MC5 for grip, steering feel and braking. Ride comfort is decent, but the tyres get noisy with usage.

3. Yokohama BluEarth is very VFM if you buy from Amazon. Many S-Cross owners have got it this way. I call these tires as "Jack of all trades , Master of none".

4. MRF Perfinza for PERFORMANCE! I strongly recommend these tires for enthusiasts. The price is good too, cheaper than Michelin & Continental. There are only 3 Stage 3 200 HP S-Cross 1.6 in India and all are running on Perfinza's

Any tyre mentioned above would show significant difference over JK Elanzo.

And also consider Ultramile UM551 tyre. I am using these for last 45,000 km. Absolutely good tyre. Good grip and steering feel. And coat effective: Rs. 3900 per tyre for 205/60 R16!

These tyres don't wear out fast and give long life. After using 45,000 km, the treads have worn only half of the usable depth.

@rickygupta2
I see that you are from Ludhiana. Ultramile has an office in Delhi. You can get the contact number from their website. They will send the tyres to a tyre shop near you. The tyre shops may not suggest Ultramile on their own because of low price (and possibly the low margin). But the tyres are good. I am using happily.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 18th August 2019 at 11:04.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 17:27   #8847
BHPian

I always wondered why S-Cross never even offered AMT in tiptronic mode. Full AMT for a premium vehicle may not be suitable for experience, but I wouldn't mind driving a car without having to physically use the clutch. Boon in traffic and at fraction cost of a TC.
Old 20th August 2019, 10:40   #8848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I have been having this issue with my Scross Zeta (May 2017, Run 39k KMS). Wondering if it could be the synchros. Planning to to take to MASS tomorrow.
So finally someone else has the same issue. I have been facing the same problem with my 4 years old 1.3 zeta 36k mks, but with a small twist. The downshift from 4th to 3rd doesn't slot correctly and you have to apply some adjustment. Also the 1st gear pull from stand still is more of clutch slipping or shuddering.

Explained these issues during regular service, but not resolved by Nexa service(Sarjapur road - Pratham). Later on the issue became more evident. So, asked them to open the clutch/gear assembly and check thoroughly. They confirmed the issue with sync rings and some other mechanical parts. For the time being they did some fix and the things have improved but still present. This will be replaced as they didn't have the part available at service center. This needs to be ordered as this is not a common issue. I will be changing in a month or two.
sou_3749 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:03   #8849
BHPian

From yesterday, the Android auto got updated. The look n feel of the display got changed to a better pleasant one.
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:49   #8850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
From yesterday, the Android auto got updated. The look n feel of the display got changed to a better pleasant one.
Oh, did you get the new UI automatically? When i used it this morning, i still had the old UI.

After searching for a bit, it seems one can 'force get' the new car screen UI. Follow the steps here:

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-force-...ate-1837371752

Can't wait to try it out in later today

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks