Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2020, 01:24   #9046
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Good to see many forum members picking up S-Cross 1.6. Well maintained cars are available for around 8 lakhs. Do note that Maruti sold only ~4000 units of S-Cross 1.6.

My car would turn 4 years next month , really enjoyed the journey with my cross. It was fun experimenting many mods and being successful at it too .

Few tips for those looking for used S-Cross 1.6

1. Don't hunt for very low mileage cars, go for ones with at least 30k+ kms done. I am saying this because the problematic parts would have been replaced

2. Few parts which are known to have issues are brake switch, oil pressure sensor, Turbo to IC hose, rear suspension beam, rear shocks, glow plugs, steering wheel leather wrap.

3. High pressure fuel pump: I know at least 3 owners who got this part changed under warranty. It costs more than 40k. Do check for leaks.

4. It's good if you can get any late 2016 to 2017 model with extended warranty.

Must do mods / upgrades for better driving experience

1. Tyres: Majority of the 1.6 owners are running with Michelin P4ST. Other good options are MC5 , Perfinza, BluEarth. OE size is adequate, My 200 HP car has 205/60 R16 tyres.

2. Headlamps: Output is pathetic in top end Alpha variant. Best and easy VFM option is installing fog lamp projectors.

3. Wolf Remap: Stage 1 remap is very good , it addresses the well known poor low end. The power delivery is very linear and car pulls cleanly. Oh yes, the famous turbo kick will be much lesser, thanks to improved low end and linear power delivery.

4. Brake pads: Rear brake pads are imported from Japan and they are pretty good. Front brake pads are just average when it comes to high speed braking. There is lot of brake fade. EBC Green stuff will take care of it.

5. Rear Shocks: They are known for pre mature wear. Upgrading to KYB Excel-G helps in delivering a much better driving experience.

With the above mentioned 5 mods, it's really a different car!!

Some interesting facts

1. S-Cross 1.6 and Jeep Compass 2.0 MJD share same clutch and gearbox.

2. Front brake pads of Nissan 350Z (non Brembo caliper) are direct fit for S-Cross.

Thanks to the prevailing Covid-19 situation & lockdown, not able to hit the roads with my Stage 3 beast...waiting for the day .
Dr.Naren is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 01:27   #9047
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post

Are there any rules for Diesel cars that dictate how long you can use the car. For example the registration won’t be renewed after 10 years? It’s important because i am looking at a pre-worshipped car.
None at the moment in Mumbai.

The 1.6 is a beast you'll enjoy driving if you have sparse traffic but it can be a bit cumbersome in the city due to heavier clutch & turbo lag.
That being said, many members have gone in for a wolf remap that vastly improves the lower end driveability, whilst keeping the addictive turbo kick that has made the 1.6 so much fun to drive.

Having driven one for nearly 40K in Mumbai traffic, the 1.6 has me grinning at every opportunity once you figure how to drive it.
lamborghini is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 08:31   #9048
BHPian

I too went the used car way and now have an SCross 1.6 Zeta that I picked up from a bhp'ian. This is a Dec 2015/ Jan 16 model. This car has a remap by Code 6 and puts out ~ 150bhp and 390nm. The engine throttle combination is super sensitive and engine spools up very fast. Before you realise you are doing speeds for which you had to grunt ( atleast my 1.5 dci Logan).

Brakes are sharp and good but felt they are a bit grabby and not that linear. I also felt the car dive when braking. That said I am still learning to anticipate and release the throttle earlier so that braking effort is reduced. But with the amount of power, this is difficult as the car coasts a fair bit before slowing down.

Tyre change to Michelin P4ST and maintaining a pressure of 33~32 gives the car a decent flat drive than the OE tyres. Higher tyres pressures at 35 all around gave me excellent FE of 23kmpl (MID). This now stands at 20~21kmpl.

I upgraded the bulbs with 100/90 bulbs and the visibility is decent on highways.
pugram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 10:49   #9049
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Thanks to the prevailing Covid-19 situation & lockdown, not able to hit the roads with my Stage 3 beast...waiting for the day .
During the COVID-19 crisis, do you wish you were a medical doctor and not a PhD doctor in remapping?
Samurai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 11:02   #9050
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
During the COVID-19 crisis, do you wish you were a medical doctor and not a PhD doctor in remapping?

I don't have to wish to be a medical doctor because I am already one
Dr.Naren is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 12:30   #9051
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I don't have to wish to be a medical doctor because I am already one
Since we are both from Manipal, I know that.

To clarify to others who are puzzled by the comment, it is an inside joke among Manipal/Udupi/Mangalore BHPians that Naren is remap doctor than medical doctor.

PS: Manipal is part of Udupi Municipality.

Last edited by Samurai : 19th April 2020 at 12:50.
Samurai is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 12:49   #9052
BHPian

That Thule roof rack is awesome. Now to get a functional roof box and this would be an awesome addition !
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 13:52   #9053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
That Thule roof rack is awesome. Now to get a functional roof box and this would be an awesome addition !
Which roof rack? Can you please either quote a post or provide a link of what you are talking about?
Old 19th April 2020, 17:27   #9054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Which roof rack? Can you please either quote a post or provide a link of what you are talking about?
Notice the Thule Roof Racks DrAnto got as a bundled package in his recent S-Cross purchase. He’s posted pics of the car sporting them. Viewing from the phone so quoting is going to be difficult on a small phone.

Last edited by lionell : 19th April 2020 at 17:33.
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 02:24   #9055
BHPian

Quote:

Few tips for those looking for used S-Cross 1.6
Thanks Dr.Naren for sharing the tips on getting a used 1.6. I am sure your experiments with Scross is a great inspiration for many including me. I have been a regular follower of your thread and it planted the idea of replacing my 1.3 with 1.6 as a second innings. Meanwhile, I never knew that only 4000 units were sold. As I am intended to get one preferably from the southern side of Kerala, time for me to make continuous search efforts.

At last, swapped my P3STs with P4ST today. I am a Michelin fanboy, my last 2 sets had lasted really well. My positive feedback had influenced many of my friends to go for Michelin. I had a confusion to go for 215/60 just for the sake of some added comfort. P4ST in 215/60 was almost 2k more than the 205/60 which made me think about other options, especially MC5. But once the size was fixed for 205/60, the choice was obvious.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20200419_142616.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20200419_152256.jpg
northstar* is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 09:47   #9056
BHPian

I have gotten a Modulo roofbox and bars installed on my S-cross. The bars are permanently attached to the car, while the roofbox is attached only when required.

A photo with the roofbox (please ignore the state of the car; this was taken after a long drive to Munnar):
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_9694-copy.jpg

With the roofrails only (which is the normal look for the car):
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_1472-copy.jpg

I used it quite extensively last year on trips to Kerala, Hyderabad and Pondicherry.
Aiel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 10:08   #9057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
I have gotten a Modulo roofbox and bars installed on my S-cross. The bars are permanently attached to the car, while the roofbox is attached only when required.

A photo with the roofbox (please ignore the state of the car; this was taken after a long drive to Munnar):
Attachment 1995739

With the roofrails only (which is the normal look for the car):
Attachment 1995738

I used it quite extensively last year on trips to Kerala, Hyderabad and Pondicherry.
Do the SCross roof rails have fixing provision for the bars? Are the bars clipon style or bolted onto the roof rails.

Could you please share from where can these bars and box be procured.
Old 20th April 2020, 11:08   #9058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar* View Post
Thanks Dr.Naren for sharing the tips on getting a used 1.6.
Hi northstar,

These are a few options you could look at

1. https://www.olx.in/item/maruti-suzuk...iid-1544448216

2. https://www.olx.in/item/scross-16-al...iid-1511470572

3. https://www.olx.in/item/s-cross-16-d...iid-1566070486

The last one I can personally go and check if you are really interested, as it is near to my home

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th April 2020 at 11:26. Reason: Spacing
CrossLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 11:29   #9059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Do the SCross roof rails have fixing provision for the bars? Are the bars clipon style or bolted onto the roof rails.

Could you please share from where can these bars and box be procured.
The bars are bolted onto the roof rails. They do not touch the metallic portions (which was an important criteria for me, as I have noticed rust in other cars at point of contact between the roof rails/carrier and the car body). I will post a close-up of the connection, a little later today (when I step out to the car (just to start it and rev it)).

I procured the boxes from Hottracks in Bangalore. It cost me (~35K INR), when I had gotten it last year, first quarter.
Old 20th April 2020, 11:38   #9060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
The bars are bolted onto the roof rails. They do not touch the metallic portions (which was an important criteria for me, as I have noticed rust in other cars at point of contact between the roof rails/carrier and the car body). I will post a close-up of the connection, a little later today (when I step out to the car (just to start it and rev it)).

I procured the boxes from Hottracks in Bangalore. It cost me (~35K INR), when I had gotten it last year, first quarter.
Thanks, a close up view would be awesome. I am trying to find the same setup for my WRV and unable to find something so far.

Many roof rails have proper holes and nuts inside the roof rails where you can install the bars. The WRV has a solid roof rails with no holes hence the issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks