Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2021, 14:07   #9331
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Do you both have 1.3? Reason to ask is isolating this issue to 1.3?
Yup, mine is an October 2015, 1.3 Zeta.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 17:42   #9332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you both have 1.3? Reason to ask is isolating this issue to 1.3?
Yes mine is a 1.3. There was no 1.6 when I brought.

Quote:
I thought it was just halogen bulb & not projector isn't it?
In the pre-facelift yes. Facelift (that you and me own) came with halogen projectors on Zeta. The stock lighting setup itself is OK, I've not touched anything yet.
--
I replaced all 4 glow plugs only at 57xxx km, by 63xxx my buddy is back again To me one plug or other conks off more often than doing its work (helping in cold start).
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 18:26   #9333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
In the pre-facelift yes. Facelift (that you and me own) came with halogen projectors on Zeta
Yes, this is what I was saying in my earlier post on bulb upgrade, not the FL version, you understood it right

Quote:
The stock lighting setup itself is OK, I've not touched anything yet
The 60/55 one? Yea, should be much better than the gimmick D2S candle!!

Why would this happen only on 1.3 & only with SCross? Why not on Swift & DZire? Ertiga? Ritz? Punto? Old Indica? There should be some reason why it happens on the 1.3 MJD. Or is this a common issue with all 1.3 MJDs?
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 08:51   #9334
BHPian

My March 2018 Zeta Diesel has done 96000 km till now. The car has never had any problems except for some engine bearing noise which was changed under warranty. I still have warranty left for another 4000 km. Recently I have started realizing that the steering of the car is too heavy. My arms literally start to ache if I have to make some twists and turns because of the heaviness of the steering. Is it something unusual? Should I visit the service center and get it checked?
Old 24th October 2021, 08:57   #9335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygupta2 View Post
My March 2018 Zeta Diesel has done 96000 km till now. The car has never had any problems except for some engine bearing noise which was changed under warranty. I still have warranty left for another 4000 km. Recently I have started realizing that the steering of the car is too heavy. My arms literally start to ache if I have to make some twists and turns because of the heaviness of the steering. Is it something unusual? Should I visit the service center and get it checked?
How much have your current set of tires done? A worked out set of tires can also result in heavier steering.

Next to check would be the condition of steering ball joints and if these are worn out, replace them.

You may also want the ASC to service the steering rack. They open the rack, grease it well and seal it back the boots securing them well. This in a way rejuvenates the steering rack.

The last thing to doubt would be the power steering motor for which the ASC will perform tests to find out if the motor is providing enough torque to the steering rack based on various parameters including vehicle speed, torque on the steering wheel etc.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 09:05   #9336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
How much have your current set of tires done? A worked out set of tires can also result in heavier steering.
The current set of Michellins have run for around 50k kms (replaced stock JK at 45k) and are on the verge of replacement (another 5k at max). Should I contact the service center or first get the tyres changed?
Old 24th October 2021, 09:12   #9337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygupta2 View Post
The current set of Michellins have run for around 50k kms (replaced stock JK at 45k) and are on the verge of replacement (another 5k at max). Should I contact the service center or first get the tyres changed?
I would say get the steering ball joints checked at the service center first. Since these are likely to wear at this mileage and will ask for replacement.

Tire change is anyway due which you will replace but get the steering ball joints checked.

The service center may take the shortcut route sometimes by loosening the steering damper to compensate for heavier steering but that should be strict no-no. Even if your steering may become better it will surely result in rack noise when going over bad roads.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 20:38   #9338
Senior - BHPian

So on Saturday 23rd of October, I, messaged Sreekanth from wolf moto and checked if he was free. I met with him on Saturday evening and asked him about the remap. He explained to me the options and the various maps which he can do. I knew from ages that I wanted the switchable maps and paid him ₹28000 to get the wolf moto remap on my car. The map comes with 5 switchable maps the 5th one being the stock map. All the 5 maps have the EGR delete function in them. The main reason for the remap being the EGR delete that I wanted. Here are the maps as explained to me:

Map 1 mid and low city
Map 2 mid low and high ghats linear.
Map 3 mid low and high highway
Map 4 aggressive
Map 5 stock. (even in stock map egr delete is there)

I waited for about 20 minutes for the laptop connected to the OBD port to do its job. Sreekanth and I had a chat where I cleared some doubts that I had. Sreekanth then explained how to change the maps and we took it for a drive.

The traffic was chaotic and we started the drive with map3. I did not feel any difference. What little I felt was more in my head, is what I felt. Sreekanth then mentioned that there is a learn procedure for the ECU and it will take a few start stop cycles for it to start giving the power. He mentioned to drive it for a few days and then report back.

The same night, I tanked up and went for a drive. I felt a little better acceleration in map 4. Mostly, according to what I felt, in stock map and map3, there used to be a dead spot, when you upshift and accelerate and the power delivery. I map 4, that dead spot was there, but for a very small moment. I felt that it is better to stick to map 3 for a few weeks, before exploring map 4 and switched it map 3.

On Sunday night, I went out again to test map 3. This time around, the engine felt eager to gain speed. On a few sections, I am now able to catch up better than I used to be in stock map, especially when trying to overtake. So overall, in the first 2 days since the remap, the car seems to be doing something better. I did not ask Sreekanth about absolute power increase figures, as these are well documented, and I would take that with a pinch of salt. However, I can say that there is a bump in power delivery. My erstwhile Ritz vdi has a better bhp/ton figure than scross. I was missing that feeling in the scross. After the remap, the scross has not reached that feeling, but is close. The instant power delivery after shifting in map 4 gives the feeling of erstwhile Ritz, which I was missing in the scross.

I am guessing, the car needs to cover more start-stop cycles and more kilometers before settling into the new map. I will report back here after a few weeks on what my thoughts are about the remap. I should be able to get a good 400 km highway run in that time.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-inked20211023_163836_li.jpg

Here is my car, next to a Panamera while getting the remap.

Wolf moto and DBS tires/car wash, now shares the same space.

Last edited by govigov : 25th October 2021 at 20:49.
govigov is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 21:53   #9339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why would this happen only on 1.3 & only with SCross? Why not on Swift & DZire? Ertiga? Ritz? Punto? Old Indica? There should be some reason why it happens on the 1.3 MJD. Or is this a common issue with all 1.3 MJDs?
I see glow plugs conking off on Arun's erstwhile Linea, humyum's Swift. I guess even Parag mentioned it happening in his '13 Ertiga. So Scro is not alone. Though I guess am among the few who are getting it more frequently.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 22:17   #9340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I see glow plugs conking off on Arun's erstwhile Linea, humyum's Swift. I guess even Parag mentioned it happening in his '13 Ertiga. So Scro is not alone. Though I guess am among the few who are getting it more frequently.
4 of my car's glowplugs were diagnosed to have gone dead in 2019 during periodic service. They didn't have stock and I never replaced them till now.

Meanwhile, I even drove to Gujarat in the same year in December. I witnessed temperatures as less as 6 degrees and had zero issues with engine starts. As of today I haven't replaced them.

In Ertiga there is no warning light for a faulty glowplug though.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 01:59   #9341
BHPian

S-Cross turns 5 today! Took her to Agra today for a meeting and stills drives like how it did on day-1. Overall ownership has been extremely satisfying. No plans to sell/upgrade. If the car continues to deliver such FE figures I will keep it for full 10 yrs!

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20211027_174601.jpg

To summarise my ownership:

• Delivery Date: 10/28/2016
  • Odometer as of today: 1,65,150 KMs
  • Front Brake Pads changed at 40K, 80K and 120K
  • Rear Brake Pads (Dixcel Pads) changed at 80K and 120K (Back to stock)
  • Switched to Mobil 1 0W40 at 20,000 KMs, been using this oil for every service. Thankfully, both Sai Service and Motorcraft have them stocked in their MGP store
  • Battery replaced under warranty in May 2017
  • Accidents: 4 (3 animal hits)
  • Insurance claims: 2
  • Breakdown: 1 (Wiring harness)
  • Tyres: Currently running on Continental MC5, on way out
  • Headlights: Osram Night Breakers
  • Stock suspension and clutch
  • Longest Road Trip: 4,700 KMs
  • Average Service Cost: 8,000/-
  • Rattles: Rear parcel tray
  • Best Part: Ride, handling and high speed stability
  • Worst Part: NVH
sinharishi is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 02:45   #9342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
  • Delivery Date: 10/28/2016
  • Odometer as of today: 1,65,150 KMs
1,65,000kms within 5 years..!! That's a lot of running man. And even after traveling so many kilometers, your car is averaging 25km to a litre Your car is a corroboration of how reliable and fuel efficient the 1.3L Multijet Diesel engine was from Fiat and how well the Maruti engineers were able to tune that engine for this car. Some of the credit also goes to you for the timely servicing that you have been practicing since it's purchase. Currently, I am looking for an 7 Seater MPV and if this engine was available in BSVI avatar with the Ertiga, then would've surely gone for it. Well, wishing you many more happy kilometers with this car.
Pedalmasher_20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 09:42   #9343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Rattles: Rear parcel tray
Surprisingly even though its a weak link I haven't faced this. The only annoyance if I have to nitpick has been the rear number plate when closing and opening the hatch.

Quote:
Worst Part: NVH
This is what I thought until I switched out of JKs. Goes to show how much tyre noise was contributing. At 90s its relatively silent, its loud at 110-120.

What's your next tire swap? UC6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedalmasher_20 View Post
25km to a litre
It'll free fall as the tank empties. Eventually will settle between 20 and 23 depending on how much patience Rishi has
Old 28th October 2021, 10:32   #9344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedalmasher_20 View Post
your car is averaging 25km to a litre
This after maintaining 100 kmph on expressway.

Quote:
What's your next tire swap? UC6?
Have not decided, maybe Yokohama this time.
sinharishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 12:53   #9345
BHPian

Quote:
One of my glow plugs went bust as well. It's strange how each one is getting different advise from the service center reps, there has to be common messaging when something as simple as glow plugs needs to be changed. When I took my Scross to the service center, the service rep was very clear that there is an option of changing one but normally when one conks the others follow. He asked me to make the decision and since it is not one of the most expensive parts decided to get it changed anyways to avoid the hassle of repeated visits to the service center.
SafeDrive0107 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks