Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2022, 13:52   #9481
Senior - BHPian

Offlate, I've been thinking to sell my SCross; in last one year, I've almost used it for 200 odd Km & some 1500 Km in last 2 years. The last trip was to MH in Oct 2019 after which all of them were short trips within TN for barely 600-700 Km which don't call for proper touring/vacation trip.

One of the primary reason I don't want to take out my car is increase in X-fold number of not just cars, but, almost all vehicles on the road & needless & even tired of lamenting on how pathetic the road rules are being (dis)obeyed. The last straw was to witness how bad people were driving & creating traffic jam on 6 laned road between Coimbatore - Salem in 2020, after which I've refrained even from driving in the night.

And so, if you all promise me not to ask questions such as why, what, where, when, how etc, it was decided to drive to 3 Jyothirlinga temples last Friday at 19:45 for a simple reason both Children & I have vacation upto 5-Oct. Planning was easy as piece of cake, but the decision took nearly a day (quite contrary prevails). The plan was like
01-Oct - Chennai to some place_1
02-Oct - some place_1 to Bhimashankar to some place_2
03-Oct - some place_2 to Grishneshwar to some place_3
04-Oct - some place_3 to Srisailam Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple to some place_4 or home
05-Oct - some place_4 to home or rest at home

Finally we ended up doing...
01-Oct - Home (66483) to Rajgurunagar (67745)
02-Oct - Rajgurunagar (67745) to Bhimashankar Jyothirlinga to Aurangabad (68098)
03-Oct - Aurangabad (68098) to Grishneshwar Jyothirlinga (68128) to Home (69385) {spilled to 04-Oct}
We skipped Srisailam & Ellora on account of school...the sudden holiday homework!!

And what started as an improptu trip ended in me falling in love with SCross again!! Such a sheer handling, driving pleasure, comfort and a feeling that can't be expressed in words!! Cruised in 90s-100s most of the time, FE was 17.7 at VNR IOL Krishnasagara KA (66803) refueled for 18.07 liters, 20.08 at BPCL Surur, Satara MH (67615) refueld for 20.08 liters, 17.61 at HP fuel station (nr Pachod I think) refueled for 30.44 liters & 19.84 at Sangamam BPCL Chandakpur KA (68538) refueled for 19.84 liters & still left with 95 more Km to go in MID!!

Awaiting eagerly to do the missed out Srisailam trip of ~1000 Km roundtrip with the beloved SCross...sorry with the family

Sharing some pictures in no specifc order for viewing pleasure
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-1.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-2.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-3.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-4.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-5.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-6.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-7.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-8.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-9.jpeg

More food...
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-12.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-13.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-14.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-15.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-16.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-17.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-18.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-19.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-21.jpeg

More food...
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-23.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-24.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-25.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-27.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-28.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-30.jpeg

And some...
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-22.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-29.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-26.jpeg

Last edited by GTO : 17th October 2022 at 14:18. Reason: Merging back to back posts
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 11:54   #9482
Senior - BHPian

Final update of our 2018 S-Cross

Final update of the 2018 S-Cross at 85000 km

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_2041.jpg
The last picture clicked before the keys were handed over

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_2039.jpg
Odo on the final drive

After I had posted the 76,000 km update (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review). It seemed I was well on course on my maiden 100,000 by this year end. Discontinuation be damned, this was a keeper.

But that was sadly not meant to be :(

We welcomed another human into the household, whose seat meant, we were suddenly space constrained. The search was on for quite sometime, gained a new found urgency after Cyrus Mistry's accident.

The S-Cross left our household on the 22nd September 2022 after nearly 4 years of incredible ownership. I must say, myself and missus were a bit emotional before the final drive.

This is the car that made us a Car Family (yes, that's our family Whatsapp group name). She took us to Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and dozen times to Maharashtra like we were visiting our neighbors. Could have seen Punjab if not for the cattle encounter and a long backlog of flooded vehicles at the Porur workshop.

She has seen bad roads, no roads, waded knee deep water without any fuss.

Maintenance and part replacements

I had to replace the 8 glow plugs and glow plug control module between 28000 to 63000 kms. The glow plug replacement exercise stopped after the control module replacement at 63000.

One puncture/sidewall cut at Narara at 30000 km on the JKs. Spare was replaced.

The JK UX Royales gave way to Continental UC6 at 58000 km. Still had good tread depth at the time of sale.

Needed a clutch plate and front suspension work on the upcoming 90K service.

All services were done at Nexa Porur. Just the mundane service consumables. No hard selling. Only thing I avoid is wheel alignment/balancing during service, which I get done outside.

Fuel Efficiency

This was something that the MJD was very good at. Lifetime FE was 21.3 kpl. Was getting 22-23.x during the suburban commute this year. Not much variation on highway runs, which was around 24-25.

My suburban drives are done at odd times 7am-2pm. It rarely saw B2B traffic. Was predominantly run BPCL normal diesel, one off Shell refills and IOC COCO diet towards the last 3 months, including one Xtragreen refill. Xtragreen did not affect FE. Was getting consistent 1 kpl higher FE using IOC COCO normal diesel over BPCL (Ekayars and MM Nagar COCO).

The worst FE of 14.62 was recorded when the car was idle during Covid. 400 km in those 6 months of vanavas

Other significant observations

This was the car I researched for the longest timeframe. I was reading this official review and every ownership thread since 2015. Really wanted to get the 1.6, was retailing at a measly 14.7L in July 2017. Eventually got to own this darling in 2018, when the Corolla decided to shock and awe.

The best handler I ever owned. Steering was precise for a EPS. Might be tad heavy if you are coming from light steering. Did not experience the infamous steering rattle.

Hard but forgiving clutch was a joy to use. This was my first manual transmission after a 6 year hiatus. Takes some real talent to stall this one.

Boot space might be theoretically smaller. But you can haul 2-weeks worth 2+2 family luggage and all things you buy from such a trip.

The national engine is a gem. Not meant to be driven in an enthusiastic way. Has enough grunt to be driven as a family workhorse. Gets to 80 in quick time, no complaints on the urban, suburban and highway runs. Saw 120 about 2-3 times on the Tumkur-Chitradurga and Chitradurga-Hospet-Bijapur stretches, when it is hard to resist . On those 80-100 kph runs, clatter levels are acceptable, can get a bit loud after 100.

As a October 2018 manufactured piece, mine had the 80-120 speed alarms. 80 was easily ignorable, 120 will wake up the family from sleep.

Sales and service has been stellar. A giant leap from my mediocre Toyota experience.

Conclusion

This was a tough car to let go. The longest ownership we had enjoyed. It is also a difficult car to upgrade/replace without significant compromises.

The 2022 Alcazar Prestige has replaced the S-Cross in the garage. Ownership review just went live (The unexpected purchase - My 2022 Hyundai Alcazar).

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_2125.pngMaruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_2126.pngMaruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_2127.png
The parting Fuelio stats

Full ownership stats including service are available here.

Last edited by narayans80 : 10th October 2022 at 11:56.
narayans80 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 18:53   #9483
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Now that the S-Cross is discontinued, is it a good idea to sell my one-year old S-Cross petrol automatic as soon as possible? I had intended to keep this for the next five years clocking up to 1.5 lakh kilometers. Now, I am worried about the availability of spares and the resale value in the next five years
Old 10th October 2022, 20:23   #9484
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
Now that the S-Cross is discontinued, is it a good idea to sell my one-year old S-Cross petrol automatic as soon as possible? I had intended to keep this for the next five years clocking up to 1.5 lakh kilometers. Now, I am worried about the availability of spares and the resale value in the next five years
Its a Maruti. This is something you dont ever have to worry about in the present scenario.

For the record, I have a Chevrolet Sail Uva with almost a 100,000 kms done. Even this car still has spares available.
bblost is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 20:36   #9485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am worried about the availability of spares and the resale value in the next five years
Which parts are you worried about? The K15 series is doing duty on all of Maruti's C-segment offerings. The 4-speed AT box is even older. All switchgear is shared.

Besides there are good old SX4 sedan owners in this forum and outside. We have a 2007 SX4 in the extended family, the retired gent is still holding to it.

Even the 1.6 owners who are on imported powertrain aren't sweating over it, infact there are couple of them added in the recent past.

Why should you?
narayans80 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 21:00   #9486
BHPian

Quote:
Well... It is strange that someone who bought a Maruti doesn't know it's strengths. Is this your first car ? How familiar are you with cars ? What are your previous cars ? Why did you buy a Maruti ? Man, freaking enjoy the car for the next 15 years. And if you really really want to sell it, i am sure you will be offering it at a discount as "the production has stopped" ! Send me a private message in that case. I am sure we can work something out. Don't you worry my friend. We are here for the rescue.
DieselAddikt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 08:03   #9487
BHPian

I realized, I should have posted my question in the "Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review" topic. However, thank you for still responding to my silly question, posted in a moment of middle-class anxiety.

This is not my first car and not my first Maruti either. I got the S-Cross as it suited my needs in the budget among the ones available. Had I known the next generation would not come to India, I probably would not have gone ahead with it. Ever since Grand Vitara was launched, the questions from almost everybody in my network on why I opted for a discontinued model with suggestions to let go of it as soon as possible got on my nerves

Thank you for your support. I am going to keep this till I find a suitable electric alternative in 2025.
UPS_Guru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 14:14   #9488
BHPian

The driver-side floor mat of my S-Cross 2018 Zeta has worn out completely. Considering replacing the mat set. Any suggestions on material and also from where could I order?
Old 13th October 2022, 15:12   #9489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Offlate, I've been thinking to sell my SCross; in last one year,
[b]And what started as an improptu trip ended in me falling in love with SCross again!!
The issue of owning an SCross is, it's very difficult to find it's replacement, anything worthy is either super expensive or is simply unavailable.

Quote:
Now, I am worried about the availability of spares and the resale value in the next five years
Quote:
Ever since Grand Vitara was launched, the questions from almost everybody in my network on why I opted for a discontinued model with suggestions to let go of it as soon as possible got on my nerves
This question applies to me too since I already own a discontinued model with a rare engine+GB combo. Do i regret my purchase, nope, infact I am just 5k short of touching one lac.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 13th October 2022 at 15:19.
rakesh_r is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 22:35   #9490
Senior - BHPian

While browsing the MSGA site, I came across some interesting accessories and ordered it using accrued points.

https://www.marutisuzuki.com/genuine...90j0m65mu0-030

https://www.marutisuzuki.com/genuine...90j0m65mu0-020

I have fitted only the rear windshield curtain and it fits like a glove. It comes with a nifty hook with a rubber base that helps it to snug up to the windshield.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20221019_161642.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20221019_161547.jpg

I am yet to try out the rear window shades, I know that it covers the complete rear window as well and it comes with another set of hooks and a spatula to help it with the installation.

I am still waiting on some parts for the front suspension bushings from boodmo. I have rest of the parts waiting at home to go in for a front strut change. As such I do not have any issues with the front strut, just age and mileage wanting me to get it redone.

Here is the condition of the P4ST after about 65K kms. I have tried to get a photo with the treadwear indicator in clear focus. I would most likely switch to UC6 as soon as the front strut work is done.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20221019_161153.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20221019_161148.jpg

Question: Is it OK to use this for another 1000 kms? All 4 tires look approximately the same, with some slightly better.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 10:43   #9491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post

Question: Is it OK to use this for another 1000 kms? All 4 tires look approximately the same, with some slightly better.
I think it is time to change the tires. Also, looks like wear is more on the inside. Is it due to misalignment? or time to change lower arms?
CrossLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 20:15   #9492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossLife View Post
I think it is time to change the tires. Also, looks like wear is more on the inside. Is it due to misalignment? or time to change lower arms?
The inner edge chewing out is due to the rear beam fault. I am not bothered to change the rear beam as I noticed the issue after the warranty was over and spending 28K on rear beam did not feel like a value investment. It gives only a marginal increase in tire life for me. The Michelin lasted about 65k kms with WA / WB and rotation.

@ All, Is there any other reason apart from faster tire wear to change the rear beam?
Old 21st October 2022, 10:37   #9493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
The inner edge chewing out is due to the rear beam fault.
These are front tires right? Rear beam fault won't cause uneven wear on them.
Old 21st October 2022, 18:22   #9494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossLife View Post
These are front tires right? Rear beam fault won't cause uneven wear on them.
These were on the rear and came to the front during a rotation. Sorry if that was not clear.

I know the rear beam is causing a little bit faster inner tire wear than normal. But if I am able to get around 60-65k life on a set of tires, then I am not too bothered to change that.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 09:46   #9495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
This query is regarding the facelift S-Cross DDiS.
Sorry for late update. I took the car to service center and it showed a fault code p0107 that is related to the MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure). It was taken out and cleaned. Since then, this issue has not yet resurfaced, fingers crossed. I wasn't charged anything for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
That reverse sensor issue has been there since quite some time. Let me check with them what they can do about it.
2 of the reverse sensors are not working and it was not in stock so an order was placed for the same.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed