Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2016, 10:20   #1081
BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Of course you can upgrade to 17 inch alloys. Just ensure that the over diameter of the alloy+Tyre do not change much.

Having test driven both the 16 and 17 inch equipped Cretas, i felt that the car with 17 inch alloys actually drove better.

Do post pics of the mods.
Have been driving my car close to year now which is 16 inch and I have noting to complain, the handling, the way it eases over potholes, bumps etc, its brilliant. But the 17 inch setup does sound tempting and has crossed my mind quite a few times. When you say the 17inch drove better, was there a lot of difference in terms of handling/ better than the 16inchers ?

@ WHEELIJ
Could you please explain what exactly went wrong with the door handle ? One of my friend's shut the door on my ride real hard! and the door handle just popped, the pull mechanism is stuck at 'open' and refuses to go inside, the threading on the cap next it cracked. Trident ordered a new part along with the cap, but when they opened up the panel and took out the 'damaged' locking mechanism thingy there was nothing wrong with it; they put in the new part in but the handle just would't go in it was again stuck at 'open.' Finally the old part was put back it and it worked..for a few days, But its stuck again.

Last edited by chetan : 4th July 2016 at 10:26.
chetan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 10:53   #1082
BHPian

Been using the car for about 4 months now, few points to mention:

1. Good - You can auto-fold the ORVMs even after you have switched off the car. This feature is sorely missed in many cars, including our Toyota Altis.

2. Bad - You cannot switch Radio channels from the steering wheel buttons, unless you manually add them to preset list. Ideally the auto-scan should add them automatically.

3. Bad - As others already mentioned, the folder navigation system is poorly designed, you really have to work it to get to your desired folder on USB, hence a strict No-No while driving!
DuHasstMich is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 10:57   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post

@ WHEELIJ
Could you please explain what exactly went wrong with the door handle ? One of my friend's shut the door on my ride real hard! and the door handle just popped, the pull mechanism is stuck at 'open' and refuses to go inside, the threading on the cap next it cracked. Trident ordered a new part along with the cap, but when they opened up the panel and took out the 'damaged' locking mechanism thingy there was nothing wrong with it; they put in the new part in but the handle just would't go in it was again stuck at 'open.' Finally the old part was put back it and it worked..for a few days, But its stuck again.
Hi, the door handle would get stuck in open position and we wouldn't be able to open the door with it. Seems that the spring had become hard and had to be replaced. It got stuck some 3 times since Jan, once right in the showroom itself as I was showing them what the problem was. The replaced part seems to be working fine.
Wheeliej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 21:07   #1084
BANNED

Re: Clutch Failure in 14000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
At what mileage did your friend's Creta die? Looks like a sub par quality component or a scam. Usually the clutch lasts 60-80K kms even when driven a lot in the city traffic. And I don't think a newbie with zero experience buy & drive a Creta to burn the clutch in such a short period.
This happened at 9800 kms. just after a couple days after the pre 10k servicing my friend did since he had to travel with the car for a road trip.
kisharchit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 00:07   #1085
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
For me it starts to recede after 100 km.
I guess you stop refueling immediately after the first auto cut off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
There's nothing to worry.
(a) It takes around 57-58L in total.
(b) Think around 200-250 kms. During my drive to Blore, it showed two bars above half tank. The total distance was around 550 kms.

This is common in most of the cars I have seen.
That's exactly what happened this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
So did you fill in fuel using the first auto cut off? Or did you ask him to ignore the auto cut off and keep filling? My petrol creta in the first fill (using auto cut off) had little under 45 liters. the showroom guys claimed 5 liters were already filled up.
I always top up and brim the tank as i drive a lot on the highways. I always prefer to driveback to Chennai for refuelling. Works well for me as i can't really rely on the diesel quality available at the highway bunks.

The fuel indicator started receding when the trip meter was at 225 kms. Relieved that things were indeed working correctly, i had a wonderful drive to Ambur and back. Total kms coveted today - 425 kms.

Trip meter stands at 645 kms with the fuel indicator exactly at halfway mark. I'm aware that the fuel indicator will start receding faster after the halfway mark, but I'm impressed as i can drive a 1000 kms in one tankful of diesel. I will refuel tomorrow and post the exact mileage figures.

Till last week i was driving the Global Fiesta on the same roads. I cannot help but compare the two cars. I simply loved the way Creta took the bad roads at high speeds. I was a bit skeptical about Creta's highway manners, especially after the Fiesta set such high standards.

+ The Creta actually drove better than expected and better than the Fiesta on patched up roads.
+ The car's steering weighed up very well and car control was very good.
+ I was surprised that i could take many corners and curves in triple digit shoes just like i used to do with the Fiesta. Hyundai have really tuned the car very well. Can't ask for more.
+ The NVH was also at par to the Fiesta. (Sometimes better)
+ Sitting higher than the Fiesta, the Creta providws fatigue free driving

The places where i missed the Fiesta are
- Cruise control. Missed it badly
- Razor sharp reflexes and point & shoot character of the Fiesta. Creta can do 95% of
- Had to work more on the gears (At any particular speed, the rpm in 6th gear of Creta is almost similar to the rpm of the 5 th gear of the Fiesta. For example, at 1500 rpm, both cars run at 72 kmph; 2000 rpm both cars run at 94 kmph. I did not see a big advantage for having the 6 th gear)
- Solidness of the Fiesta especially when cutting across lanes and weaving through moderately heavy traffic on the highway.

Quote:
Have been driving my car close to year now which is 16 inch and I have noting to complain, the handling, the way it eases over potholes, bumps etc, its brilliant. But the 17 inch setup does sound tempting and has crossed my mind quite a few times. When you say the 17inch drove better, was there a lot of difference in terms of handling/ better than the 16inchers ?
Yes, the ride of the Creta with 16 inch alloys was more bouncy when compared back-to-back with a car with the 17 inch alloys. I would strongly suggest you to

Last edited by MAS : 5th July 2016 at 00:21.
MAS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 07:32   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Trip meter stands at 645 kms with the fuel indicator exactly at halfway mark. I'm aware that the fuel indicator will start receding faster after the halfway mark, but I'm impressed as i can drive a 1000 kms in one tankful of diesel. I will refuel tomorrow and post the exact mileage figures.
Very impressive fuel tank capacity / FE, indeed. This is what I really miss in petrol sedans. Seems like I am running to a gas station every so often between 350 kms - 400 kms to do a tankful.

Wonder if the diesel AT Creta will give similar readings on long drives.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 09:49   #1087
BHPian

Whats the mileage that the Petrol AT is giving? City & Highway..
Old 5th July 2016, 09:51   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
Hi, the door handle would get stuck in open position and we wouldn't be able to open the door with it. Seems that the spring had become hard and had to be replaced. It got stuck some 3 times since Jan, once right in the showroom itself as I was showing them what the problem was. The replaced part seems to be working fine.
Looks like its the same problem for me. Which exact part was replaced ? The inward part of the handle or the outward ? Could you let me how this door handle problem came about on you car ?

Quote:

Yes, the ride of the Creta with 16 inch alloys was more bouncy when compared back-to-back with a car with the 17 inch alloys. I would strongly suggest you to
Would you recommend the default size of the 17" that Hyundai provides or a higher upsize ?
Old 5th July 2016, 11:12   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like its the same problem for me. Which exact part was replaced ? The inward part of the handle or the outward ? Could you let me how this door handle problem came about on you car ?
?
The inside one. Think there is a part inside white colour with a spring. The service centre should know.
Old 5th July 2016, 11:23   #1090
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would you recommend the default size of the 17" that Hyundai provides or a higher upsize ?
Hi Chetan

The 17 inch alloy from Creta has a wheel width of 6.5J. I feel this is good enough. You could get wider tyres as the stock ones, 215/60 R17 are just adequate. Wider tyres will make the ride better and the car will look sportier.

The speedometer pics from yesterday

When i left home in the morning
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-20160704_065656optimized.jpg

When i reached home late night yesterday
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-20160704_205646optimized.jpg

I have not got the time to pull out and clean the plastic labels/covers from various small parts yet. I will do it on Thursday as it will be a holiday for EID.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 12:10   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Whats the mileage that the Petrol AT is giving? City & Highway..
In Bangalore ORR traffic - 7 - 8
In 4-lane highways, 12-13
In mixed mode highways, 11.5 - 12
chandras1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 20:26   #1092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post

1. Good - You can auto-fold the ORVMs even after you have switched off the car. This feature is sorely missed in many cars, including our Toyota Altis.
Even though it is good that we can fold ORVMS after the car is switched off, I feel that a car at this price range should have true auto folding mirrors. I think even i20 has auto-folding feature.

Quote:
2. Bad - You cannot switch Radio channels from the steering wheel buttons, unless you manually add them to preset list. Ideally the auto-scan should add them automatically.
This is doable. Just hold the up-down switch on the steering wheel for couple of seconds. System will auto scan and stop at the next available channel.
Old 6th July 2016, 04:53   #1093
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Update on Mileage

Brimmed the Creta with Shell Diesel yesterday night. With the indicator at one notch below half way mark, it gulped a shade above 41 litres. Assuming a tank capacity of 60 litres (55 litres tank + 5 litres), we can say, as a thumb rule, that when the fuel indicator touches the "halfway mark", 40 litres of Diesel has been consumed and 20 litres remain in the tank.

The mileage worked out to be 16.1 km/litre.

IMHO, the mileage is pretty good considering the fact that the first 220 kms were driven in horrible traffic conditions. I expect the mileage to go up further.

Quote:

3. Bad - As others already mentioned, the folder navigation system is poorly designed, you really have to work it to get to your desired folder on USB, hence a strict No-No while driving!
1. I feel it is better for the mirrors not to auto fold. The consta and unnecessary use of the folding motors may cause it to fail prematurely. I had the auto fold option in my Fiesta, but disabled it as i was worried about reduced life of the motors.

2. The radio channels can be switched using the ^ / v buttons on the steering wheel. You need to push and hold them for a second and the radio will seek the next available channel. But, it could be a pain sometimes.

3. If your individual folders contain different albums, it is certainly possible. Just touch the smaller square overlapping the bigger square on the left portion which gives the album name. This opens a new screen with various albums arranged in series (left to right); One needs to just flip the albums to we get the album of our choice.
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 16:06   #1094
BHPian

My November 2015 SX Auto has just completed its second free service and since I have just crossed the 10,000 km milestone, I thought that I should share my thoughts.

Smooth and comfortable drive. Highway manners was a pleasant surprise. Picks up speed and maintains a good pace without a sweat.
The size of the vehicle is just perfect, neither too big nor too compact and has a decent presence on the road. Feels at home both within the city as well as on the highways.
Comfortable high seating position, though the seats themselves could have been better upholstered.
Excellent ground clearance. I can just smile at the umpteen speedbreakers in my residence area.
Hands-free blue tooth calling has been working pretty well and call quality is excellent. There was an issue with the head unit once when it become blank but returned to normal when I started the vehicle the next day.

DISLIKES:

Lack of speed sensing auto locks. I invariably forget to lock the car while starting off and remember to do so only when stopping at a signal or traffic jam.
Lack of back lighting for the outer rear view mirror switches.
Upto the halfway mark, the bars in the fuel gauge moves very slowly. Then suddenly from the halfway mark, the bars are in free fall. Disconcerting at times and lack of distance to empty meter is sorely felt.

HATE:

Having to lift and turn over the spare wheel for filling up air. I hated this in my earlier Honda City and I am again forced to do the same for the Creta. The designer should be punished and made to stand in the fuel station and turn over the spare wheel in all their cars. By the way, the spare wheel is not an alloy and only a space saver.

FUEL EFFICIENCY:

I have been monitoring the fuel efficiency from the beginning by the auto cut-off filling to the auto cut-off filling method. Within Chennai City, I am getting an average of between 11 and 11.5 kmpl. I have done two trips each to Trichy, Pondy and Tirupati and the highway average I have been getting was between 13 and 13.5 kmpl. A more sedate drive could possibly yield better fuel efficiency in the highways.

MAINTENANCE:

My first free service was below 1500 kms and there was no charge. The second free service cost me Rs.3,897/-. I have attached a copy of the invoice to show the work done during the second service. There has been no other expenses thus far. So far so good.

GENERAL POINTS:

The front rubber mats are held in place by hook present on the floor to prevent them from moving around. Nice touch.

Overall a very pleasant experience thus far .

PS: I am unable to post the pictures in the specific location and all the pictures are getting attached only at the end of the post.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_4756.jpg  

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_4764.jpg  

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_4807.jpg  

thesilentone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 19:55   #1095
BHPian

I own a petrol auto. Currently the Odo is about 3500 kms in 2.5 months of ownership. This is one of the smoothest cars I have driven so far. Except during kick down one can barely notice the shifts. In gear acceleration is very good on a kick down. On a recent drive to Tirupati, an Innova Crysta tried to overtake me from the left. Stomped on the accelerator ( 'D' mode), the car dropped couple of gears, upshifts close to the read line and in no time, I was doing 140+. Eventually I won that drag race Am a sedate driver and a great Innova fan, so just thought it was a good time to compare mine with one of the cars I adore! Barring this one adrenalin rush, I maintain 100-120 on the highways (RPM between 2200-2700). The steering weighs very well at high speeds and highway manners are very very good. Cabin is super silent, ride extremely pliant, all the gizmo's work as expected and the size is near perfect, neither too big nor cramped.

In summary, if you can afford the initial cost and are ok with the average mileage, this is one car that will serve a family of five very well!
chandras1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks