Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2017, 12:53   #1711
BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrey25 View Post
I'm facing the same problem with my Gearbox and I watched a video on YouTube , I think it was engineering explained and the guy was talking primarily about AT gearboxes and he pointed out that it is more prominent with new cars as the mechanism has not worn in properly and it is specially during the cold start

and he also pointed out that during traffic the car should be in D rather than putting it in neutral as it is better for the gearbox if gears are not changed unnecessarily . I'll find the video out and send you the URL and regarding the rear seat , I haven't really checked it out and I'll surely let you know if it's the same with my car or not .
I did some searching too and most of the people talk about the parking prawl function. I'm already using the recommended flow - Neutral -> emergency brake -> parking -> turn off. I think I'll visit the service centre before service is due to have this seen.

This doesn't make sense. Holding foot brake in D mode will use more fuel and wear out brakes too. Moving from D to N in a stationary vehicle should only disengage the transmission which shouldn't be an issue I think.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 13:16   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
I did some searching too and most of the people talk about the parking prawl function. I'm already using the recommended flow - Neutral -> emergency brake -> parking -> turn off. I think I'll visit the service centre before service is due to have this seen.

This doesn't make sense. Holding foot brake in D mode will use more fuel and wear out brakes too. Moving from D to N in a stationary vehicle should only disengage the transmission which shouldn't be an issue I think.
If you do visit the service station about the problem and you find a solution , do let me know . I would be really thankful and I found out the URL to one of the youtube videos and when I find the second one I'll share that as well .

shrey25 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 16:45   #1713
BHPian

Quote:
If you do visit the service station about the problem and you find a solution , do let me know . I would be really thankful and I found out the URL to one of the Youtube videos and when I find the second one I'll share that as well .
I'll do that.

Saw the video. So his logic makes some sense. Putting it to N and back to D puts pressure on the transmission vs keeping it in D wears out brakes which are cheaper to replace.

I re-read the 2016 Creta manual and here are some findings I'd like to share:

When should the shift button be used?

When should Neutral be used? (doesn't mention traffic lights in particular though)

Correct order while parking -shift to park, apply parking brakes and then turn off the ignition. While most of the guidance on the internet is to use parking brakes before shifting to park, especially on inclines. What I do is, shift to N, apply parking brakes, shift to P, turn off ignition.

Somewhere it also mentioned in the manual transaxle section that shifting to Reverse can be stiff if the transaxle lubricant is cold. This could be the case with ATs as well.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 10:44   #1714
BHPian

My Q is: will using the shift button to move between any mode be detrimental to any mechanical component? If no, its a easier protocol for shift button usage.
Old 19th April 2017, 12:13   #1715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
I'll do that.

Saw the video. So his logic makes some sense. Putting it to N and back to D puts pressure on the transmission vs keeping it in D wears out brakes which are cheaper to replace.
I am not sure if he really meant that. I don't think the pressure on the transmission will matter when one shifts from 'N' to 'D' in a stationary vehicle. Especially when compared to the transmission being engaged but the vehicle is kept stationary by de-pressing the brake all the time.

I also observed Creta's RPM at 'N' vs stationary 'D'. I didn't see the RPM dropping while in 'D'. In both cases they looked the same. Which means the pressure on the transmission must be the same for both cases.

To me he was just punching a hole in the fuel efficiency theory. But that too is debatable as waiting for a traffic light to turn green from red in a western nation is very different from being stuck at Bangalore ORR madness.

My only take away from that video, for this particular topic, was never move from 'N' to 'D' after keeping the rev's high to "launch" the vehicle. My practice is move to 'N' (and possibly switch off the engine too) when its > 60 seconds.

Last edited by chandras1 : 19th April 2017 at 12:20.
chandras1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 12:38   #1716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
I am not sure if he really meant that. I don't think the pressure on the transmission will matter when one shifts from 'N' to 'D' in a stationary vehicle. Especially when compared to the transmission being engaged but the vehicle is kept stationary by de-pressing the brake all the time.
He showed that circular disk thing that engages when you move from N to D or vice versa in a stationary vehicle. His point is, it's a cheap item to buy but takes a lot of money to replace vs brake pads which are cheaper to replace.

Transmission being engaged but brake de-pressed = D mode + brakes right? This will keep the transmission running and count for the transmission and brake's life. But the YouTube guy's point was, it's better than moving to N because it ages that circular disk thing.

Quote:
I also observed Creta's RPM at 'N' vs stationary 'D'. I didn't see the RPM dropping while in 'D'. In both cases they looked the same. Which means the pressure on the transmission must be the same for both cases.
This seems debatable. Some vehicles have this function to keep the RPM as low in D as in N. Doesn't Creta do it? I'm not sure.

Quote:
My only take away from that video, for this particular topic, was never move from 'N' to 'D' after keeping the rev's high to "launch" the vehicle. My practice is move to 'N' (and possibly switch off the engine too) when its > 60 seconds.
People actually do this? Why would anyone do this?
The manual clearly says that any gear change (except tiptronic) should be done only when the vehicle is completely stationary.
Old 19th April 2017, 17:53   #1717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
My Q is: will using the shift button to move between any mode be detrimental to any mechanical component? If no, its a easier protocol for shift button usage.
From 'N' to 'R' (and thereon to 'P'), one *has* to press the shift button. By following the protocol, ie no shift button for transitions between 'N', 'D' and '+' and '-', one cannot accidentally move to 'R' when the intention was to move just to 'N'. Its like a gate. Moving to 'R' (accidentally) when the wheels are moving will put severe stress on the transmission and the protocol prevents this accident. Didn't realize this all these days, till I figured this out today. From now on will try to follow the protocol
chandras1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 17:57   #1718
BHPian

Do you guys think that there would be an update or is there a provision that there would be an update for the creta's infotainment system which would incorporate Android auto , apple car play and MirrorLink . I saw a video on YouTube where Hyundai US provided updates to car's which originally didn't have these features . Guess if I would have known earlier I would never have picked up a February manufactured vehicle .
Old 19th April 2017, 18:14   #1719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
From 'N' to 'R' (and thereon to 'P'), one *has* to press the shift button. By following the protocol, ie no shift button for transitions between 'N', 'D' and '+' and '-', one cannot accidentally move to 'R' when the intention was to move just to 'N'. Its like a gate. Moving to 'R' (accidentally) when the wheels are moving will put severe stress on the transmission and the protocol prevents this accident.
Wow, this makes so much sense. I wish this explanation was included in the manual.

Even I was pressing the shift button by default for all shifts, but I'll try and follow the protocol now.
Old 20th April 2017, 12:34   #1720
BHPian

Quote:
Do you guys think that there would be an update or is there a provision that there would be an update for the creta's infotainment system which would incorporate Android auto , apple car play and MirrorLink . I saw a video on YouTube where Hyundai US provided updates to car's which originally didn't have these features

There's another thread on this, and according to this post it wont be possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Did anyone tried taking quote to fit new infotainment system from 2017 into 2016 car? A friend of mine has 2016 and he was asked to cough up Rs. 45,000 for that upgrade. He did not go for it. The service center guys told that the entire infotainment hardware needs to be replaced.
slicvic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 12:46   #1721
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Wow! This is surprising. Mahindra just went beyond this - they launched Android Auto for XUV. I personally got chance to lay my hands on the software. On my 2015 XUV with just a software upgrade, they have put the majority of functions in car. Only for the next gen local applets for infotainment system, they are asking for silver box (infotainment Computer) upgrade costing 56K! Majority of owners can live without these apps. But all other essential features including environment friendly driving indicators, android auto etc are already being made available for all 2015 on-wards models.
Old 20th April 2017, 13:29   #1722
BHPian

Quote:
I have a February 2017 model and if I knew I would have waited a few days for the upgraded infotainment system . But I'll not just spend 45000 for Android auto , apple car play and MirrorLink . Thanks a lot for the information.
Old 23rd April 2017, 21:40   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Wow! This is surprising. Mahindra just went beyond this - they launched Android Auto for XUV. I personally got chance to lay my hands on the software. On my 2015 XUV with just a software upgrade, they have put the majority of functions in car. Only for the next gen local applets for infotainment system, they are asking for silver box (infotainment Computer) upgrade costing 56K! Majority of owners can live without these apps. But all other essential features including environment friendly driving indicators, android auto etc are already being made available for all 2015 on-wards models.
The service centre guys always want to rip you off and avoid any extra work.

If you really want the features, they'll try to rip you off and say buy a new system from us.
Updating systems is an additional task which is supposed to be done free of cost hence they won't be too inclined to do it anyway.

If hyundai was able to update the Elantra's music systems in the U.S.to add android auto/carplay, I don't see why it cannot be done here. Changing the music system just sounds like a load of bull to me IMHO.

Quote:
I have a February 2017 model and if I knew I would have waited a few days for the upgraded infotainment system . But I'll not just spend 45000 for Android auto , apple car play and MirrorLink . Thanks a lot for the information.
I have a March 2016 model, I didn't get the 17" alloys then and now the android auto.

Last edited by Jag4 : 23rd April 2017 at 21:43.
Old 23rd April 2017, 22:12   #1724
BHPian

Just back from a weekend trip to Ramgarh. Few things I observed about the car:
1. Got to learn the autobox much better. Few times during the uphill climb I felt loss of power but had to depress the throttle or let the RPM drop closer to 1000 to force a downshift. It was easy to do after 2-3 times.

2. ODO stood at 750kms and the HU froze pressed the power button and it rebooted easily but there are issues with connectivity. Will reset it and then take it up with the ASC.

3. Suspension is much better than what Hyundai's are famous for - boat like. Have experienced it in i10 for 6 years and FIL's Verna. Cabin is well damped and very silent even over bad roads. Power on tap is amazing. Still in the break-in period but pushed it to 2500 RPM at times and it responded well.

PS: also got the speed sensing door lock OBD device from AliExpress last week. Superb device. Does what it says. Still wondering what made Hyundai skip it.

PPS: Got about 720kms from a full tank. Not bad I'd say but expected a little more.

Last edited by Nonstop-driver : 23rd April 2017 at 22:15.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 20:34   #1725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
My Creta has run 10k kms and planning to get the wheel alignment, balancing and rotation done. Has anyone faced any issues by getting this job done from outside and not a Hyundai ASC? I am confident my local tyre shop can do the balancing and rotation but not sure about the alignment.
Finally decided to get the alignment, balancing and rotation done from the ASC instead of a local tyre shop for peace of mind. The entire process took 1.5 hours and cost INR 1550 (including weights). Hunter HawkEye system was used for the alignment and a thorough road test was performed by the adviser and technician. A device was also connected to the OBD port during the road test.

I hadn't seen this being done in my earlier cars and the adviser mentioned that this is required for calibrating the steering position sensor in some modern cars like Creta and i20. No expert on this and appreciate if fellow Bhpians can shed more light. I am also not sure if local tyre shops are aware of this calibration step and hence probably makes sense to get the alignment done from the ASC itself even though it is done at a slight premium.

Most Viewed