Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2020, 01:01   #2731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It is okay. Nothing to worry unless it decreases further due to any leak in the system.

You can cover the remaining 2,000 km on this level. If required get a 1L bottle of ready-to-pour coolant from any fuel station.
I remember reading your fantastic review and mods on your Creta before getting mine in 2017. Anyway, coming to your quote above, wouldn't it make more sense to just add water if necessary unless there is any leak in the system ? I believe Hyundai recommends a ratio of 30 parts coolant and 70 parts water. Also, it is specifically mentioned in the coolant servo coolant data sheet that "it does not boil or vaporise in the hottest summer". If there is no leak in the system, reduced level of fluid in the coolant reservoir can only mean that some of the water in the fluid has evaporated away. So my question is why are you recommending to add coolant and not water to maintain the afore-mentioned 3:7 ratio ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
No. Battery warranty is separate and provided directly by battery OEM. At the time of delivery your welcome kit would have included a warranty card from the battery maker. Very few give anything over 1 year in a new car installed battery from factory.
Very true but the Creta's battery comes with a warranty of 2 years on the stock battery

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th January 2020 at 01:43. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
Old 5th January 2020, 01:49   #2732
BANNED

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
Anyway, coming to your quote above, wouldn't it make more sense to just add water if necessary unless there is any leak in the system?
+

Quote:
So my question is why are you recommending to add coolant and not water to maintain the afore-mentioned 3:7 ratio?
One needs have access to distilled water which is required to be added in the coolant system or even when diluting the coolant concentrate. It is not possible to get good quality (read genuine) distilled water everywhere so to avoid all the issues and running around why not get the ready-to-use coolant and add it directly into the system?!

This is what I use:
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-images-3.jpeg

Costs ₹200 and is available at BP fuel stations.

Quote:
I believe Hyundai recommends a ratio of 30 parts coolant and 70 parts water.
This ratio is to be followed when the coolant concentrate is bought. Like the one pictured below:

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-screenshot_20200105013739__01.jpg

This kind of concentrate requires to be diluted at the recommended ratio for proper functioning.

Quote:
Also, it is specifically mentioned in the coolant servo coolant data sheet that "it does not boil or vaporise in the hottest summer". If there is no leak in the system, reduced level of fluid in the coolant reservoir can only mean that some of the water in the fluid has evaporated away.
In the 2 years that I have had the Creta with me, I found out that the coolant reservoir tank (white one as shown below) is not tightly sealed. I maintain the coolant level at the 'MAX' mark in the reservoir but after a month or so it drops a bit. Initially, I panicked thinking there is a leak in the system or getting mixed in the engine oil etc but later found that the cap of that coolant reservoir isn't tight. It throws out some minute quantities due to sloshing of the coolant in the reservoir tank. One can notice whitish-green powder on the edges of that reservoir tank which is nothing but coolant that had dried out (area marked in yellow).

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-screenshot_20200105012911__01__01.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 10:54   #2733
BHPian

Okay, this is for those people who tried updating the Creta's AVN and couldn't succeed earlier.

It is much easier now.

Just go to https://india.map-care.com/Main and register your vehicle. You will need you VIN , Date of Purchase & the AVN Device ID.

Once you have these details , you can go for a Free Map & AVN upgrade.
I knew that we are eligible for 3 such free updates.

However, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the free 3 upgrades are not just available in the initial 3 years of ownership, but are in fact available in the 6 year SERVICE period !! (Mine is till Oct 2022) and then afterwards you can go for paid updates, if needed ( Rs. 1500)

Once you have registered, you can select your Vehicle , order up the update.

Just download their Software upgrade installer, install it on your PC or MAC and keep a 8Gb or higher Pendrive plugged in. The Software downloads the upgrade patch (6.5Gb+) and copies it to the Pendrive.

Once done, Just plug the Pendrive in your Creta's AVN, fire up the engine and and it will start the upgrade automatically. Couldn't be easier!

Takes about 15-20 mins, and you need to keep the engine running or just keep driving.

And Voila, you get the latest update for your AVN . The latest one was released in Jul'19.
BUXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 11:44   #2734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post

And Voila, you get the latest update for your AVN . The latest one was released in Jul'19.
If I am not mistaken you have an October 2016 model. Did this update give you Android Auto/ Apple Car Play?
Old 7th January 2020, 16:42   #2735
BANNED

Despite multiple reports about Creta's braking issue, it didn't get into the What you won't like section whereas Harrier's steering issue even after resolution stayed there in the What you won't like section of the review!

I am seeing differences. What, am I seeing wrongly?

Last edited by wheelguy : 7th January 2020 at 16:55.
wheelguy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 16:54   #2736
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
In the 2 years that I have had the Creta with me, I found out that the coolant reservoir tank (white one as shown below) is not tightly sealed. I maintain the coolant level at the 'MAX' mark in the reservoir but after a month or so it drops a bit. Initially, I panicked thinking there is a leak in the system or getting mixed in the engine oil etc but later found that the cap of that coolant reservoir isn't tight.
I think the coolant tank caps are not air-tight by design. The coolant gets quite hot in regular engine circulation. The tank needs to have vents to ensure steam pressure doesn't build up inside, to avoid cracks/explosive burst. Some manufacturers manage to get the caps right. Some manage to design them in a leaky way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Despite multiple reports about Creta's braking issue, it didn't get into the What you won't like section whereas Harrier's steering issue even after resolution stayed there in the What you won't like section of the review!
I am seeing differences. What, am I seeing wrongly?
Yes, perhaps the Harrier's review summary will get updated with the upcoming "corrective" update that the Harrier is due for. Anyway, since the Harrier gave a sour taste to most reviewers because of being half ripe, it might be better to wait and watch for a while to see a stable reliable improvement. Updating the review then, makes more sense. Tata had a chance at masterstroke & (as usual) they blew it. Now as usual they have to earn the respect back, the hard way. Its good to see that they are on the right track at least.

I think what also plays a part is the volume vis-a-vis the & of reported issues. Considering the number of units the Creta sells (its getting boring on the roads now. It sells that high!), the % of owners reporting issues appears quite small. This is where statistics is a tricky science. While the absolute number of issue facing customers may be high, the % of total owners might be still very tiny. And so, it doesn't get reported as a critical issue but an intermittent one. Just my guess.

Last edited by Reinhard : 7th January 2020 at 17:02.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 17:30   #2737
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Yes, perhaps the Harrier's review summary will get updated with the upcoming "corrective" update that the Harrier is due for. Anyway, since the Harrier gave a sour taste to most reviewers because of being half ripe, it might be better to wait and watch for a while to see a stable reliable improvement. Updating the review then, makes more sense. Tata had a chance at masterstroke & (as usual) they blew it. Now as usual they have to earn the respect back, the hard way. Its good to see that they are on the right track at least.

Quote:
I think what also plays a part is the volume vis-a-vis the & of reported issues. Considering the number of units the Creta sells (its getting boring on the roads now. It sells that high!), the % of owners reporting issues appears quite small. This is where statistics is a tricky science. While the absolute number of issue facing customers may be high, the % of total owners might be still very tiny. And so, it doesn't get reported as a critical issue but an intermittent one. Just my guess.
It's a critical issue, waiting for the percentages to build up before taking corrective measures is stupid IMO, it has been reported on Cretas ranging from 2015 make to 2019 make and that is too long & dangerous to be ignored. One need to be more cautious as the number of Cretas on road are more.

Last edited by wheelguy : 7th January 2020 at 17:33.
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 21:34   #2738
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Despite multiple reports about Creta's braking issue, it didn't get into the What you won't like section
Quoting from the Petrol AT Review:

Quote:
Creta AT needs stronger brakes. Braking ability isn't confidence inspiring.
Quoting from the Facelift Review:

Quote:
The Automatics need stronger brakes. Their stopping ability isn't confidence inspiring.
May be the emphasis on poor braking on all variants must be added rather than focusing on the AT specific ones.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 21:56   #2739
BHPian

Completely agree on updating all of our official reviews to highlight the braking issues. In fact, it should be the first point under the dislikes section in bold red font.

Of course, one can expect Hyundai to give us a snub when it comes to inviting us for the review of the 2020 Creta
styx71 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 19:24   #2740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
50k service of the car is due in next 2k kms. Do I need to top up the coolant level or would this be sufficient to munch 2,000 kms?
Faced the same issue as you are facing. I just picked up a 1 Lt bottle of the coolant from the Hyundai Service Centre and top it as required. It was very cheap (in the low 100's) and asked them to use it during the subsequent service also.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 8th January 2020 at 19:30. Reason: Trimmed the post within quotes for better readability. Thanks.
Old 8th January 2020, 20:34   #2741
BHPian

Dear Creta Owners,

My drive is a 2016 Creta SX+. My AVN doesn't support Android Auto/Apple Car Play/Mirror Link. Of all these, I need Android Auto badly. 2017 AVNs support it. I just missed it by a small margin. I always thought it can be swapped to the newer AVN anytime for a reasonable cost. Boy, how wrong was I ... The new AVN cost ~ INR 50K+. It is simply not worth that much. Hyundai's pricing of genuine parts gives me shivers now.

My request to other Creta owners:
  1. Is anyone upgrading 2017 or later AVN to a higher-end one, he/she can sell that AVN to me.
  2. Other 2015-16 Creta owners, did you get any other solution to get Android Auto/Apple Car Play/Mirro Link. If so, can you guide me.
  3. Can you let me know - Are there any good after-market HUs that can be fit without cutting wires and works with steering controls and reverse camera?

Mods: If this is off-topic, please move it to the right place.
Old 9th January 2020, 09:16   #2742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjunathkl View Post
Can you let me know - Are there any good after-market HUs that can be fit without cutting wires and works with steering controls and reverse camera?
OEM headunits generally tend to be priced ridiculously high.

To answer you question, Here you go. Aftermarket headunit without any factory wire splicing.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...av-ax5000.html (DIY: Upgrading the Hyundai Verna's Head-Unit (Sony XAV-AX5000))
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 11:03   #2743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
If I am not mistaken you have an October 2016 model. Did this update give you Android Auto/ Apple Car Play?
No.. That is just not possible with this headunit.

It did however give me Speed Limit warning feature. Very useful in the current scene and extremely accurate as well !
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 12:22   #2744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjunathkl View Post
My request to other Creta owners:
  1. Is anyone upgrading 2017 or later AVN to a higher-end one, he/she can sell that AVN to me.
  2. Other 2015-16 Creta owners, did you get any other solution to get Android Auto/Apple Car Play/Mirro Link. If so, can you guide me.
  3. Can you let me know - Are there any good after-market HUs that can be fit without cutting wires and works with steering controls and reverse camera?

Mods: If this is off-topic, please move it to the right place.
You can't upgrade the 2015 (first gen) AVN to support Android Auto/Apple Carplay. Invest in a good phone holder and use the Google Maps. The main reason I did this is that the phone is almost at eye level which means less distraction. Our Jetta also got the upgraded HU that supports AA but haven't used it once since it's way down. Start using this and you will forget about the AVN.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 15:37   #2745
BHPian

A very strange problem I am facing currently. My Creta SD card of AVN refuse to write anything on it and prompt that it is write protected even after being unlocked. Anyone has encountered this problem before?

Most Viewed