Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2015, 16:46   #271
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
Bigger engine also means lower fuel efficiency. XUV is known to return ~10 in city and ~13 on highways. Plus the whole parking problems for a bigger car. Also, IMHO, the whole highway "experience" might be a bit overrated from the bigger engine perspective. The difference in horses is not over the top...and how many times does one push a car to its edge in terms of speed? The seat comfort etc. is a separate discussion. I don't rank Creta's seats too highly and have heard good things about XUV seats.
I think because of price similarity these comparisons between XUV and Creta are popping up which in reality are vehicles from 2 different segments. Someone wanting a car like feel but higher GC would certainly feel at home in a Creta. However if desire is a bigger vehicle, with tons of space and a genuine 5 seater for adults then certainly XUV it is. Being 7 seater also helps at times but not the best option for that.

I havnt sat in Creta yet but XUV ride is bumpy at low speeds <30kmph on pot holed roads but it dramatically improves as speed goes up. Infact at highway cruising speeds it just glides over.
Old 11th September 2015, 20:09   #272
BHPian

I am waiting for delivery of the Creta diesel automatic; the car will be used in an urban environment or short highway trips by my father. I was told that the stock 205/65 R16 goodyears are rather noisy. Can you recommend a better set of tyres. I am very happy with the Michelins on two of my VWs which i swapped the goodyears for. Looking for your suggestions.
Old 11th September 2015, 21:03   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam99 View Post
I am waiting for delivery of the Creta diesel automatic; the car will be used in an urban environment or short highway trips by my father. I was told that the stock 205/65 R16 goodyears are rather noisy. Can you recommend a better set of tyres. I am very happy with the Michelins on two of my VWs which i swapped the goodyears for. Looking for your suggestions.
I'd recommend trying it first. I didn't find the goodyear's too noisy myself.

I was recommended Yokohama earth 1's by the tyre shop I spoke to.
manku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 09:31   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bigger engine also means lower fuel efficiency. XUV is known to return ~10 in city and ~13 on highways. Plus the whole parking problems for a bigger car. Also, IMHO, the whole highway "experience" might be a bit overrated from the bigger engine perspective. The difference in horses is not over the top...and how many times does one push a car to its edge in terms of speed? The seat comfort etc. is a separate discussion. I don't rank Creta's seats too highly and have heard good things about XUV seats.
Come on! Don't take away one of the biggest advantages the XUV holds over the Creta; highway performance. The XUV is a much more relaxed machine at higher speeds and in this case, bigger is better. If you were to cruise really fast (unmentionable speeds on t-bhp), I think you would also find that the XUV delivers higher mileage since its motor will be less strained at high speeds than the Creta. Also all the gadgetry like tyre pressure monitoring system and cruise control really come in handy out on the highway. Please don't make judgments based solely on power figures on paper.
Old 12th September 2015, 11:42   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

The Creta has topped SUV sales yet again, for the month of August 2015.

The XUV 500 & the EcoSport are relatively well-placed, while once-bestsellers such as the Bolero, the Scorpio & the Duster are seeing a dip in their sales numbers.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-2015augustsuvsales.jpg

Quote:
Hyundai has just taken the SUV game forward with a bang, thanks to the Creta’s overwhelming success. The first compact SUV from the Korean automaker’s stable has contributed 7437 units in August, which makes it the top selling SUV in the country. The demand for the Creta is at its peak and Hyundai has decided to ramp up its production to address the increasing waiting period.

The country’s largest carmaker, Maruti Suzuki also launched their promising crossover S-Cross just after the Creta’s launch. The premium crossover managed the top 3 spot with 4602 units sold in August, which is a big achievement for a Maruti car crossing the Rs. 10 lakh price bracket. So the two new entrants created quite a stir in the compact SUV segment. This is evident looking at the Ford EcoSport’s decline of sales by 36 percent and Renault Duster’s 64 percent decline compared to the previous year.

With the new generation Scorpio and updated XUV500, Mahindra has shown some charged up sales of 52 percent and 14 percent respectively, compared to the previous year. The new list of features and fresher styling has got the sales rolling for the big brute SUVs. As expected, the Bolero continues to sell in large numbers thanks to its popularity in rural areas but compared to the previous year, it has declined by 30 percent.

Motorbeam
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 16:43   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotovamsee View Post
Shame on Meah, Couldn't do anything but pay for Creta!

See my post just above yours.

Hello, sorry about your bad experience. Just writing to check when exactly you had booked it and what version is your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam99 View Post

Hi Gautam99, when is your delivery set and when did you do the actual booking?

Cheers!

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th September 2015 at 08:54. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 12th September 2015, 23:48   #277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Creta has topped SUV sales yet again, for the month of August 2015.

The XUV 500 & the EcoSport are relatively well-placed, while once-bestsellers such as the Bolero, the Scorpio & the Duster are seeing a dip in their sales numbers.

Motorbeam
Well deserved IMO.

However, I'm surprised Maruti is not too far behind with the S-Cross! They are not even utilising their core strength- the sheer presence across the nation. For example- the nearest NEXA showroom from my hometown is 250kms away, and my hometown is the state capital where we have about 7 Hyundai showrooms within a 20km radius.

Would be interesting to watch this battle in the days ahead.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th September 2015 at 23:49.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 00:02   #278
BHPian

Quote:
I think tanks taking more than 55 is an issue related to asking for 'top-up' of fuel after the auto-cut.

Good point. I never allow the fuel stations to fill my car beyond the click (except a couple of rs to make the bill a nearest multiple of 5 or 10). Quite often a lot of people would trying to overfill the cars by rocking it. One should realize that the tank is designed to take a specific capacity of fuel and auto cut off by itself for a reason. Because fuel needs room to expand, fuel tank needs extra room for that expansion.
Old 13th September 2015, 20:32   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I think you would also find that the XUV delivers higher mileage since its motor will be less strained at high speeds than the Creta. Please don't make judgments based solely on power figures on paper.
Agreed. One should not comment based on paper figures only which is what I am doing.

I am still unable to establish the connection between high speed motor strain and fuel efficiency though...doesn't seem to add up in my head. But then, I am not really the expert.

At the so called "unmentionable" cruising speeds...(if at all such a thing is possible in India !!) ... things like drag coefficient also come into picture...and creta (0.36) supposedly boasts of figures better that both duster (0.42) and eco-sport (0.37)...these figures are from review threads on team-bhp. I could not find it for XUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsdileep View Post
I never allow the fuel stations to fill my car beyond the click. fuel tank needs extra room for that expansion.
Hmm...I have also not taken the need for fuel expansion into account and asked for top-ups...just to delay the next visit to fuel-station by a bit! I will be cautious henceforth. But here is an interesting bit...Yesterday, I went in for a tank-full on my Creta within 3kms of the amber warning...it auto-cut at 49.3 litres and then went on to a mammoth 56.7 !!

I am further confused about what exactly the reserve capacity is when the amber light first appears. But I suppose it is simply better to play safe. I fill up at shell outlets and they are 'generally' more honest than the rest so would rule foul-play out.
Old 13th September 2015, 21:45   #280
BHPian

So it's been 2 weeks with my sxo now and the 2 standout features that grab attention are :
1. Really quiet inside the car - significant noise reduction when you roll up.
2. Very smooth drive. Much better than expected and even gives my sunny tough competition. Infact even on space, I don't miss my sunny which was by any count a caaaaaar.
shethsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 22:06   #281
BHPian

Quote:
But here is an interesting bit...Yesterday, I went in for a tank-full on my Creta within 3kms of the amber warning...it auto-cut at 49.3 litres and then went on to a mammoth 56.7 !!
Wow. How am I supposed to measure my fuel efficiency now! First time I filed up about 10 KM after the amber light, it auto cut off at 50.1 litres.
Old 13th September 2015, 22:34   #282
BHPian

Quote:
But here is an interesting bit...Yesterday, I went in for a tank-full on my Creta within 3kms of the amber warning...it auto-cut at 49.3 litres and then went on to a mammoth 56.7 !!

I am further confused about what exactly the reserve capacity is when the amber light first appears. But I suppose it is simply better to play safe. I fill up at shell outlets and they are 'generally' more honest than the rest so would rule foul-play out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manku View Post
Wow. How am I supposed to measure my fuel efficiency now! First time I filed up about 10 KM after the amber light, it auto cut off at 50.1 litres.
I think auto cutoff depends on the length of fuel nozzle too that goes into the fuel tank. Probably the length is varying in both your cases.

Zing, you might have filled it to the brim considering Creta's capacity is 55 litres.
Old 13th September 2015, 22:50   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manku View Post
I think auto cut-off happens when there is back flow of fuel hitting the nozzle. It can also happen if the nozzle is snug fit with less space for air outlet leading to fuel also getting splashed onto the nozzle cutting off the fuel supply. This has happened a few times with me, once when my Wagon R had taken only 6 liters of fuel. Then it went on to take further 22 liters.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 23:34   #284
Senior - BHPian

Guys! Have you explored the features of the smart key? The boot seems to open just by pressing the boot release button on the tail gate when the key fob is nearby.

Even when the doors are locked the boot opens when the key fob is closeby. Is this how is it supposed to work?!

And what's the function of the hold button?
Old 14th September 2015, 00:27   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. One should not comment based on paper figures only which is what I am doing.

I am still unable to establish the connection between high speed motor strain and fuel efficiency though...doesn't seem to add up in my head. But then, I am not really the expert.

At the so called "unmentionable" cruising speeds...(if at all such a thing is possible in India !!) ... things like drag coefficient also come into picture...and creta (0.36) supposedly boasts of figures better that both duster (0.42) and eco-sport (0.37)...these figures are from review threads on team-bhp. I could not find it for XUV.
I myself am no expert but from experience, a bigger motor that is more relaxed at high speeds, tends to deliver better fuel economy figures than a smaller one that is being pushed. That said, I have no doubt that the Creta is more efficient overall and would remain more efficient even out on the highway in most circumstances, but say one were to put the cars through their paces to the extent that the highway would allow, and cruising speeds were to go beyond about 120kmph, the XUV would definitely outshine the Creta in its ability to pick up speed as well as maintain a certain calm about it.

I am no diesel expert as my family has never owned a diesel car and I never really enjoy spending too much time behind the wheel of one, but as an example, I once did a short trip on Hyderabad's Outer Ring Road (unmentionable speeds again) with a friend who was driving his Honda City, and my Kizashi which has a much bigger motor, (2.4 liter vs the 1.5 iVtec) is vastly heavier (1500kg vs 1050kg) and whose variable valve timing tech is relatively dated compared to the Honda motor, delivered a clean extra kilometer to the liter on that drive.
Quote:
I always tell service station attendants to tank up only till auto-stop and never agree to a "top up". If I were to make a guess, the reserve capacity would be between 7-10 liters it should be easy to check: simply wait for the low fuel warning to come and then go to the nearest trusted fuel station to fill up and calculate the difference keeping your tank capacity in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Even when the doors are locked the boot opens when the key fob is closeby. Is this how is it supposed to work?!
Yup that is how most modern KESSY systems work. Each request sensor has its own bubble of range around it. You will find that if you are at the boot with the key in your pocket and are able to open it, someone else standing ahead won't be able to open the driver or passenger door and vice-versa. Car will also let you know if you have left the key inside and you are trying to lock it having exited the car and pressing the request sensor

Last edited by IshaanIan : 14th September 2015 at 00:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks