Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2015, 13:14   #481
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Service levels and resale are two major reasons why Maruti and Hyundai are top considerations when the aam junta wants to buy a car, they do not want to experiment with Ford, Renault or Volkswagen etc.
Don't know about Maruti, but service costs for Hyundai is definitely very high. From my own experience - annual service costs for my four year old i10 is substantially more than my six year old Honda City. Enough to make me concerned about buying a new Hyundai. If that was for an i10, how much would they rip me off for a Creta?

On the other hand - Service quality (timeliness, courtesy, and feel good factor) is top notch from Hyundai, even better than Honda. The same is the case for service centers - there's a lot more of them, which increases your convenience as well.
SkyWalker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 13:32   #482
Senior - BHPian

Many of the well built cars in India, esp hatchbacks and monocoque SUV's do not have the best service support. And some pretty average cars have awesome service support.

1. Maruti
2. Hyundai
3. Mahindra

are some companies in the latter catagory. Though there are segment exceptions from these companies such as S-Cross, YRA Baleno from Maruti which from all reports are pretty well built. And then there used to be the old Hyundai i20 (5 star ANCAP) which was a segment exception.

1. Volkswagen Polo
2. Renault Duster AWD
3. Fiat Punto
4. Pajero Sport
5. Isuzu MU-7

are some excellent quality products but companies are not known for service. But fact is you do not need exceptional service if you have a top quality product, which does not cut any corners, in your hands.

The problem with hive concept is that manufacturers esp Hyundai which started out making same models in India as their international versions are now introducing newer models with far lesser weight than their international counterparts. They have all the features on the inside and we know pretty less of what is the story behind the skins unless one is involved in a collision. Heard on the forum that the Creta had a revolutionary honeycomb design for chasis rigidity in China but no such mention of it in India. Come 2017 when crash tests become mandatory, it will be pretty clear who is fooling whom, until then rake in profits. Will they withdraw entire models like i10 Grand or introduce structural features and increase prices disproportionately. Dekhenge. Until that happens it'sSab chalta hai.
Old 17th October 2015, 13:50   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
But fact is you do not need exceptional service if you have a top quality product, which does not cut any corners, in your hands.
How do you define a top quality product? Just because some brands are european or japanese does not qualify them to be top quality. Service is equally important if not more than the product itself.

As said before, I would rather buy an average product with good service rather than a top quality product without any service. I would not buy a VW product even though it is built like a tank, that tank will rot in garage due to high maintenance cost and unavailability of parts at some remote location.

A few of my acquaintances are planning to get rid of their Polo and Vento each because of high maintenance, expensive repairs and similar problem in both the cars. But unfortunately they are getting peanuts resale value.

Last edited by Shakensoul : 17th October 2015 at 13:55.
Shakensoul is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 12:34   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
How do you define a top quality product? Just because some brands are european or japanese does not qualify them to be top quality. Service is equally important if not more than the product itself.
One that doesn't have a chassis made out of coke cans,one that doesn't crumple in crash tests and one that doesn't have skinny tyres for less rolling resistance and greater FE which I'm afraid a lot of japenese cars aren't.
Service is important but I would rather buy a car for how it drives and what it actually is than the ASS.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 13:01   #485

The Creta in my opinion is already priced too high and this price hike is unjustifiable. It doesnt make sense to spend close to 17L on the Creta top-end. After all, the Creta is not a real SUV; its more of a wannabe.
After following up very eagerly on both the Creta and the S-Cross, I went ahead and bought the Duster 110 Explore edition. At close to 12.9L on road in Kerala, the Duster (though an old model) still looks like much more value-for-money than both Creta and S-Cross.
Old 19th October 2015, 14:31   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta.joseph View Post
The Creta in my opinion is already priced too high and this price hike is unjustifiable. It doesnt make sense to spend close to 17L on the Creta top-end. After all, the Creta is not a real SUV; its more of a wannabe.
After following up very eagerly on both the Creta and the S-Cross, I went ahead and bought the Duster 110 Explore edition. At close to 12.9L on road in Kerala, the Duster (though an old model) still looks like much more value-for-money than both Creta and S-Cross.
Everyone is aware of the fact that prices can (and do, for popular vehicles) rise during waiting periods, as manufacturers milk the buyers for all that they can. We have seen it in other cases in the past, including Ecosport. But for anyone who falls for a 3-6 months waitlist for a car - (hate to say it) should not complain. I am surprised that the price hike is not more- maybe there is another higher end trim in the works.
Old 19th October 2015, 15:30   #487
Senior - BHPian

Is there any price protection to the already made bookings? or this will be the Ecosport way, i.e. price at the date of delivery will be applicable?
Old 19th October 2015, 16:12   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Is there any price protection to the already made bookings? or this will be the Ecosport way, i.e. price at the date of delivery will be applicable?
Price as on date of delivery is the standard. The bangalore on road price for AT is now 17.52 L!!
Old 19th October 2015, 16:36   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
One that doesn't have a chassis made out of coke cans,one that doesn't crumple in crash tests and one that doesn't have skinny tyres for less rolling resistance and greater FE which I'm afraid a lot of japenese cars aren't.
Service is important but I would rather buy a car for how it drives and what it actually is than the ASS.
Hmmm... Is that a car which is under production in some top secret facility? We would love to see a car with a tin chassis, maybe NASA or VW has come up with some revolutionary and lightest material.

Who knows, maybe VW has another 'cheat' device or speaker installed which makes the thud sound when closing doors, and owners think doors are made of the heaviest and rarest metal on earth. Maybe another cheat device in the AC gas which hyptonises the owners and they think they are driving the best car on the planet
Shakensoul is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 18:35   #490

Hi Fabulous Guys/Gals, this is my first post on this forum as a member. I bought a Creta SX(O) Black last month. I was having a good time until last week I tore my back left Tyre accidentally running over the adjacent car lift of my office parking lot . It has got a two inch V shaped tear. I took my car to the Hyundai service station at Pothens Hyundai Trivandrum, but they do not have stock! The service adviser quoted the price around 5.5K which seems too low.

Does anybody know the price of Bridgestone Dueler 215/60/R17? Is there any way we can patch a tear this big and use as spare?

As per the insurance adviser at the service station, my zero depreciation insurance from New India Assurance covers only half the price of the Tyre and will have to pay 2K additional claim fee as well.
Old 19th October 2015, 19:15   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai knows what people love and they do provide smart looking vehicles with good amount of gadgetry that are comfortable to drive. People in India give preference to interiors, exteriors, equipments levels and service support over vehicle dynamics and Hyundai very well knows it.
Well said! So sad but so true!!

Quote:
My uncle recently bought a Creta and when i questioned him if he considered XUV or Duster, he stated that he is aware of so many niggles with xuv and Renault is still not there when it comes to service levels + the interiors do not feel like a 16 lakh car. Service levels and resale are two major reasons why Maruti and Hyundai are top considerations when the aam junta wants to buy a car, they do not want to experiment with Ford, Renault or Volkswagen etc.
100% agree. I was debating about the quality of owner's manual in general for the cars sold in India. There's not much of information on the emissions, emission control devices and it's maintenance needs. A well respected senior colleague of mine was laughing at me and said, "I own a Maruti, what else I should really bother about?".
Old 19th October 2015, 19:19   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Beg to differ. By that logic, some cars should practically run themselves the entire lifespan without requiring good service.

Any car, regardless of how it's made, needs continued good service. In some cars, it's easier to do such maintenance activities because of the simplicity of design and in some others, it may not be so.

I'd rather have Exceptional Service for a High quality product because of the capability of the product in terms of performance, handling and safety.

On the price hike, Hyundai is milking the cow way before she's home. Let's hope they don't turn people away. The car's a looker, though. There are a few in our apartment and the one in white is just stunning to look at.
Old 19th October 2015, 20:05   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
Hmmm... Is that a car which is under production in some top secret facility? We would love to see a car with a tin chassis, maybe NASA or VW has come up with some revolutionary and lightest material.

Who knows, maybe VW has another 'cheat' device or speaker installed which makes the thud sound when closing doors, and owners think doors are made of the heaviest and rarest metal on earth. Maybe another cheat device in the AC gas which hyptonises the owners and they think they are driving the best car on the planet
You and Nasa can have a look at my City.
And FYI I don't drive a VW so I'm spared by the hypnotism.
Old 19th October 2015, 21:15   #494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_SYZ View Post
Hi Fabulous Guys/Gals, this is my first post on this forum as a member. I bought a Creta SX(O) Black last month. I was having a good time until last week I tore my back left Tyre accidentally running over the adjacent car lift of my office parking lot . It has got a two inch V shaped tear. I took my car to the Hyundai service station at Pothens Hyundai Trivandrum, but they do not have stock! The service adviser quoted the price around 5.5K which seems too low.

Does anybody know the price of Bridgestone Dueler 215/60/R17? Is there any way we can patch a tear this big and use as spare?

As per the insurance adviser at the service station, my zero depreciation insurance from New India Assurance covers only half the price of the Tyre and will have to pay 2K additional claim fee as well.
How bad is the tear? Can you share a picture if possible? But from what I know, V shaped tear doesnt sound all that good. Any damage to the sidewall itself is not a good thing. I just had a similar damage to the side wall but wasnt all that bad, just a small tear. I got it patched and currently using it. As per the tyre shop here, this particular tyre size is currently not available in the market now. Might be available in another couple of months (not sure whether this is true).
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 02:44   #495

I will try to share a snap tomorrow. It's not exactly on the side wall but between the horizontal and vertical part. The tear is bad. I doubt there are multiple tears as well. Any idea about the cost. BTW... If someone around Cochin and Trivandrum is changing their stock tyre any sooner, pls let me know.

Most Viewed