Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2016, 11:33   #811
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Meanwhile, Creta has notched up a lakh worth of bookings in 8 months.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/51421702.cms

Some points:

Quote:
"The Creta has been a success story for the Korean company in India with close to 56,000 cars already making their way on the roads"
Quote:
"Like in the domestic market, Creta has generated great response in Global markets with more than 28,000 orders."
Old 16th March 2016, 11:42   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post

Yesterday evening after returning back from office, while parking i noticed the rpm to be around 700. Waited for a minute and restarted but it again settled at 700 rpm only.

When i was leaving for office today morning, after 30 secs the rpm settled at 1050, which is how it should be IMO. The trip meter is still at 352.3. (blackberry seems to be better this time)

Maybe i am nitpicking.
@nkghai - From your posts it seems that the idle rpm for a petrol Creta is 700 without A/c being ON.

Upon a cold start the engine typically runs rich. A good analogy would be using the Choke in old 2 wheelers for a cold start. Once the AFR is optimized for engine temp the idle rpm probably drops to 700

Now this implies that some precautions to be followed - Since the idle rpm is slow low am not sure if the alternator can charge the battery at idle rpm's so pls. turn off headlights at traffic lights
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 14:43   #813
Senior - BHPian

Faced an issue with my head unit last night. The touchscreen wasnt working and no buttons were responding either. I stopped the car and turned the car off and started it after a minute even then it didnt work. It statred working itself when i started the car in the morning. . Havent faced any other issues apart from this little problem.

My variant is SX plus Auto and have been getting around 15kmpl consistently with 100% AC. No complaints with the mileage, acceleration and ride quality.
aparth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 09:25   #814
BHPian

OK the first real niggle, which is a bother.

Nanook has done 7000 kms in last six months and yesterday went to Raipur, a trip of 214 kms. Since the road is being widened we have a lot of bad patches and stretches of gravel road only most of the way. Because of the rain yesterday Nanook was very dirty and so started washing it at 5.30 AM and that is when i noticed it.

On starting and moving the steering i heard a clear thak sound. Repeated the motion many times and every time a clear thak sound was heard . It is like tie rod end being loose or one of the steering linkage loose. Cant make out anything since i dont have a pit here.

If i am not mistaken someone had mentioned this earlier also. Now if i were in a Metro city, today the vehicle would have gone to the workshop but being 90 odd km away from any service center, i have to take a day off and get it done, which i am ready but having read about Hyundai ASS so much, i don't want to leave my vehicle overnight there. My questions are :-
  • Has any body else also noticed this Thak sound when the steering is moved, the vehicle being stationary?
  • If yes, how much time does it take to set it right?

Tried to make a video but it turned out to be 85 MB so futile.
Old 19th March 2016, 09:32   #815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Faced an issue with my head unit last night. The touchscreen wasnt working and no buttons were responding either. I stopped the car and turned the car off and started it after a minute even then it didnt work. It statred working itself when i started the car in the morning. . Havent faced any other issues apart from this little problem.
I had reported few bugs earlier. I too faced similar problem couple of times. I am planning to update the AVN next week when I go for the second service.

Quote:
My questions are :-
  • Has any body else also noticed this Thak sound when the steering is moved, the vehicle being stationary?
  • If yes, how much time does it take to set it right?
Have you done the alignment? I suggest you take it for alignment as they would be able to see if there's any misalignment. That can cause this "thak" sound. I had noticed this on my Swift.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 09:52   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
[/list]Have you done the alignment? I suggest you take it for alignment as they would be able to see if there's any misalignment. That can cause this "thak" sound. I had noticed this on my Swift.
Thanks.

Had thought of getting alignment done during my recent trip to Hyderabad but was scared to go to a non Hyundai outlet as I don't know if they have Creta software as one BHPian had pointed out. Doubt if they have it in Raipur/Bilaspur. Although Anurag had recommended one trustworthy place in Hyderabad, but being very far away from my place of residence could not make it in the short time available there. Was on a very packed schedule.

Even for alignment have to take a trip of 200 km. Will do so next week and then update.
Old 19th March 2016, 10:06   #817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

Had thought of getting alignment done during my recent trip to Hyderabad but was scared to go to a non Hyundai outlet as I don't know if they have Creta software as one BHPian had pointed out.
I seriously doubt if that's required and moreover, the notification is there only on the SX(O) version right? I got it done from a non Hyundai outlet and it doesnt throw any warning. Anyways, am getting this thing cleared when I take it to service next week. Shall update my findings in my ownership thread.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 10:59   #818

Quote:
===========[*]If yes, how much time does it take to set it right?[/list]Tried to make a video but it turned out to be 85 MB so futile.
I found this message on Creta whatsapp group today. I thought i should share here. :-)

Quote:
I had mentioned earlier that I noticed a "thak" sound at a certain point while rotating that steering wheel (both while running and in motion). So I went to the service center yesterday to get it fixed. After investigation, they mentioned that they need to replace a part called "Universal Joint", which is currently out of stock. Once its is shipped from Chennai, they will call me and have it replaced free of cost, since its under warranty. Just wanted to let u guys know, in case someone has noticed a similar problem in their CRETA.
vishu2xll is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 11:54   #819
BHPian

Quote:
I am inclined to call it an ordeal but would still classify the happenings shared below as a learning experience.

A couple of posts back I had reported a niggle of a “thak” sound coming from the steering and had been advised to get the alignment done. Well most of us can’t sleep properly if there is an issue with our steed and same is the case with me. I preponed my wife’s arrival to Raipur to Sunday 20th Mar, with the added advantage that I could get Nanook repaired at a Hyundai outlet. Spoke to Hyundai a day earlier and fixed the time of 9.30 AM for the checkup. Started from home at 6.40 AM, a drive of 115 kms and reached airport dot on time, flight landed at exact 8.45 and we were out of airport premises by 9.15 AM and as per precision reached the Hyundai outlet at 9.30 AM. Obviously the first one to be there, but since the supervisor was informed of my supposed arrival, he was there. Told my lady to relax in the waiting room and assured her we will make a move within half an hour after minor adjustments.

A snap of Nanook starting its first repair work at 7100 kms.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20160320_102234.jpg

The mechanic comes at 0945 hrs, no job card opened and he was immediately assigned to check my gaadi for the fault. One small demonstration to him and he confirmed that the thak sound was indeed there and also confirmed it is the steering shaft joints which need to be tightened and not the alignment. Abhi do minute mein ho jayega Sir. Happily informed my better half that just few more minutes.

Then things started happening.

To get to both the upper and lower joints of the steering column, they have to open the dashboard below the steering as also on the right side. Took some time as the factory fitment is very snug. Now to reach for the steering joints is a pain. These are located at vey inaccessible places and cannot be even seen in the dark. Also Hyundai had no inspection lamps so it was difficult with mobile torches being used to see and adjust the spanner.
They found the joints fully tightened and opened the lower end completely and took it out. So the upper joint was connected and lower joint was free and it was pulled inside the cabin closed to the brake pedal and they moved the steering wheel full left and right to see what is the problem.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20160320_100712.jpg

During one such turn, I heard a loud kritch sound and immediately exclaimed, kya hua? It was like the sound of those dashboard non metallic locking arrangements breaking. They rotated it again and no sound, but it was on the back of my mind. Finally after 45 mins they took out the steering shaft for inspection.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20160320_102104.jpg

I now insisted on the Job card and it was then made immediately. The shaft was inspected and found to be perfect and the mechanic said that a small tape on mounting where shaft is tightened will cure the issue. I checked the shaft myself for play etc and found the same OK. Even the universal joints seemed fine. So white thin tape applied so that it fits well and all tightened and closed in next 30 mins. After fitment the mechanic was checking closely for the thak sound, which was not there but then once again I hear the kritch sound and got really worried. The vehicle was ready for test drive and the shop floor supervisor takes it out with me as co driver. He immediately notices that vehicle is instinctively going to left, does two to three start stop test on a flat road and is convinced of the left movement. In the meantime, I get a call on my mobile and it gets connected through Bluetooth but when I speak, the other party can’t hear me, so that means the mic was not working. It was then, when the supervisor tried to increase the volume, we realized that none of the steering controls were working. Even the horn had stopped functioning. Coupled with these facts was the issue that the steering was totally misaligned to one side which was clear from the fact that in reverse gear the screen with straight steering was showing the blue lines to extreme left. (Creta owners will understand as the blue lines on the reverse camera screen denote your intended path, with steering in its present position).

So something had gone wrong and we were back and the mechanic was told to get the OBD diagnostic, which he connects. The error displayed was “Steering airbag resistance very high”. The mechanic immediately concludes that steering clock has gone faulty. Initially I heard Steering lock and wondered how this could happen, then I rechecked and he mentioned that clock spring could have broken. Now I could make out what that kritch sound was. I immediately inform the supervisor that this happened during repair and the mechanic also confirmed that the sound was heard twice during repair only. What was done was done, my 15 mins halt was already 2 hrs and I told them to change the part.

15 mins of running around and the part is not available in their stock. Sh*t, being Sunday all other outlets will be closed and I had a sinking feeling. Luckily, the supervisor informs that this being Hyundai Customer care week, their main outlet which was around 30 kms away was open and the part was available there.

Great! So the plot was supervisor would send the mechanic there, who will get the part, come back and repair the vehicle. That would be cool 2-3 hrs before we get the part only. So I opined that why not I drive my vehicle to that main service station accompanied with the mechanic and he can repair it there only. Since both the service stations were of same person, it should not be a problem. It was immediately agreed to by the supervisor, so I get my wife and all her travelling luggage back into Nanook. The co-passenger seemed a bit peeved off but my concern was more for Nanook at that point of time. Driving a vehicle without horn in Indian traffic is just pure bloody irritating. If you don’t have a horn nobody will let you overtake as the rear and side mirrors in their vehicles are just for hair dressing.

Reached the new outlet and paper work was a breeze, with the accompanied mechanic really running around. Before going forward, would like to stress that during the drive the mechanic requested me not to tell the supervisor in the main service station that the clock had got damaged during repair. I asked him the following two simple questions:-
  • Do you accept your mistake? He immediately said yes, and said it is purely his fault.
  • What did you learn? He gave a good explanation that in the entire training he was never told that you could not rotate the steering wheel with the loose steering shaft and was completely unaware of it and he would be more careful and had learnt a very valid lesson today.

I was convinced, but only told him, I will keep quiet and not say anything.

So the new service centre supervisor comes and checks with his tab and confirms the steering clock fault and issues orders for replacement. They click all photographs and make a video of entire process for forwarding to Hyundai. Attaching pictures of steering after opening and the new clock both sides before fitment. Notice the pad on the dashboard

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20160320_122143.jpg

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20160320_122229.jpg

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20160320_122310.jpg

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20160320_122315.jpg

Simple tools. One more ring spanner was used which is not there in the photograph.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20160320_122242.jpg

Once the new part was available the actual fitment took only 15-20 mins. Then started the software diagnostic and resetting procedure. The service centre in Raipur uses a Samsung Galaxy Tab which connects wirelessly to the vehicle and does the diagnostics. It is a DSC Software, how I wish I could lay my hands on that. After fitment, it was confirmed that there were no errors. Now for alignment the sensors were reset with straight steering, which was calibrated with reverse camera output. The ESP and other settings were reset to initial data, and presto I was told Nanook is ready.

Since it was a customer week they were having a customer meet and the mechanics and staff were constantly after me to sit and attend it. Having been satisfied and almost sure, I left Nanook for final check by the supervisor, who offered a free wash. So attended an impromptu customer meet and was give a small gift and eatables. Not very well organized though, but gave a good feeling. After 20 mins went back to where Nanook was being washed and got it done by my standards. Met the supervisor and he confirmed all was perfect and handed me the gate pass and since it was 3.00 PM already was in a hurry to go after thanking all.

We quickly stopped for a bite and started our return journey and that is where I noticed that Nanook was pulling to right. Extremely disappointed. I then found the problem was that the steering wheel was not fitted exactly in centric manner and was a wee bit left pointing when the wheel is straight, which was resulting in sensor trying to straighten it.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_20160321_080439.jpg

I did not have the energy and time (they close at 4.00 PM) to go back since I had a two hour drive ahead. So the situation now is that thak sound has gone but vehicle steers a little to right. I am quite unhappy with the supervisor for letting this happen as it is a simple thing and he could have checked. Also in my eagerness to end the ordeal, did not myself check thoroughly. Means another 220 kms drive to reset the sensor correctly.

Positives.

The fault for which I had gone, the ‘thak' sound in steering shaft got rectified.

I also had a chance to look at the complete diagnostic software and I checked the idling rpm about which I had posted some time back. The software showed standard idling rpm at operating temperature for 1.6. VTVT as 750 and my vehicle was 753, so perfect. One debate is settled that correct rpm is 750 only and all the electrical instruments are tuned to function at that rpm, meaning there is no battery drain.

Even though he made a gross mistake of spoiling the steering clock I was happy with the mechanics knowledge. He knew exactly which screw and nut to open and how. Never once did he look at the arrangement with a questionable look on his face. While parting he again apologized for his mistake and the fact that I had to spend that extra time because of him. I just told him, only people who work make mistakes and as long as he has learned something today, I am ok with it.

Negatives.

I have a vehicle steering to right, so have to keep a firm hand on the steering even while going straight. Need another trip of 220 kms to get it rectified. If done correctly again not more than half an hour job. The lady may not accompany me since the last 30 mins job lasted almost 6 hrs, though knowing my passion she was very supportive.

Just read a post from Vishu2xll that it may be the universal joint. Hope my problem does not resurface. Vishu please inform your friend to keep an eye on shaft removal and not allow steering movement with loose shaft. Thanks buddy for sharing your information

Will keep you updated.

Last edited by nkghai : 21st March 2016 at 12:09.
nkghai is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 23:43   #820
BHPian

Guys anyone noticed that the tire size varies between SX+ and O variants.
SX+ has a total height of 673.2 mm
O has a total height of 690.1 mm
A difference of 2.4% exists.
Had they given 215/65R16 on SX+ too, the difference would have reduced to 0.6% while maintaining same tire width.
I don't quite understand why they shod lower versions with 205 section tires.
Anyone has any clue. I have booked my creta auto and plan to change tires to 215/65R16 on day 1.
Anyone done this earlier and any inputs. Could it be that the extra sidewall due to 5 mm width results in more body roll and that's why they chose the 205?
Old 22nd March 2016, 07:17   #821
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisiddiqui View Post
Anyone done this earlier and any inputs. Could it be that the extra sidewall due to 5 mm width results in more body roll and that's why they chose the 205?
It's a common scene here in India wherein you have lower variants with smaller tires when compared to it's top variant. Not sure whether this is due to any technical advantage.

To answer your question - Yes, I think someone here upgraded their tires (BNM I think) and I have seen one here in Cochin with Santa Fe's wheels (235/60/R18)

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img20160121wa0002.jpg

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img20160121wa0003.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 08:30   #822
BHPian

Quote:
As mentioned by Naveen, It had been done by BNM and here is the link to his ownership thread where you can read about the tyre upgrade.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-report.html
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 08:39   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
It's a common scene here in India wherein you have lower variants with smaller tires when compared to it's top variant. Not sure whether this is due to any technical advantage.

To answer your question - Yes, I think someone here upgraded their tires (BNM I think) and I have seen one here in Cochin with Santa Fe's wheels (235/60/R18)
Wow. The silver creta looks good. BNM got 17 inch rims too. I have been thinking on those lines and may not upgrade rim size and only the tires since I love michelins and want to change the rubber on day 1. Planning to use Michelin latitude tour HP since only option available in Michelin in the size. Anyone has any experience of these tires ? Have been using primacy on Vento and they are very silent but not available in creta' size. Thanks again for your inputs. If you come across any technical reasons too, pls do share.
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:02   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys anyone noticed that the tire size varies between SX+ and O variants.
SX+ has a total height of 673.2 mm
O has a total height of 690.1 mm
A difference of 2.4% exists.
Had they given 215/65R16 on SX+ too, the difference would have reduced to 0.6% while maintaining same tire width.
I don't quite understand why they shod lower versions with 205 section tires.
Anyone has any clue. I have booked my creta auto and plan to change tires to 215/65R16 on day 1.

I have upgraded my SX+ Auto with 17 inch rims on 235/55/17 tires. Tire calculators say that there is only about a .6% difference from the stock 205 which is negligible.

Ride quality is pretty much the same as it was on the 205 tires. The steering does feel heavier though. Fuel efficiency has gone down. With ~750+ kms on the ODO fuel efficiency is hovering around 11 kmpl in the city.

As Naveen mentioned earlier it is common practice to equip lower variants with smaller tires. Evidently Hyundai has done a lot of cost cutting with the Creta!
Old 22nd March 2016, 18:07   #825
BHPian

Quote:
I did upgrade too, along with the alloys as I took the delivery of my car. I too had the same question on why the diff of 2+ % in the standard offering by Hyundai.

To be safe I upgraded to 225/55/R17 which has the a diff of .95% from the standard 205/65R16 and about 7 months and 18k KMS down, I think it was a pretty good decision.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3783557

Last edited by Abhi99 : 22nd March 2016 at 18:08.
Abhi99 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks