Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2015, 20:26   #31
BNM
BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadiyar View Post
Make that 4 customers. I've had the first-gen i20 for 6 years now and would love to stay with Hyundai. I was eagerly waiting to upgrade to a Creta Auto, but the lack of a top-end AT is what's turning me away.

I wouldn't mind an AT Elite i20, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards either. I'm now thinking of the XUV automatic, if at all it launches in the near future.
Just curious to ask this question. Would you buy the top end AT if it came at 18.5 to 19 Lacs Bangalore OTR ? I was having this argument with somebody on the preview post/thread and saw comments that the current AT price itself was daylight robbery!

The AWD XUV MT is 20 lacs and probably go up to 21.5 lacs to 22 Lacs for an AT version. Would that pricing be reasonable?
Old 23rd August 2015, 20:36   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNM View Post
Just curious to ask this question. Would you buy the top end AT if it came at 18.5 to 19 Lacs Bangalore OTR ? I was having this argument with somebody on the preview post/thread and saw comments that the current AT price itself was daylight robbery!

The AWD XUV MT is 20 lacs and probably go up to 21.5 lacs to 22 Lacs for an AT version. Would that pricing be reasonable?
Yes, I would. I agree that it is expensive, but if someone is willing to pay the price for the current AT, then a lakh extra for the added safety is not such a big deal for that person.

Still cheaper than say the Cruze or Laura.
kumar2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 21:24   #33
BHPian

Just a question from a novice admirer of this thread?

Can the Creta and XUV comparison justified?

Considering that Creta is not a "proper" SUV, whereas the XUV is.

Have the supposedly familiar XUV niggles crept in the new XUV too.

But there is an audience for the Creta too irrespective of the insane pricing. Hyundai intends to make huge profits.

A mahindra in 2015 vis a vis a Hyundai. How practical is this?

Why cant we have a combination of both in a proper SUV.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th August 2015 at 07:56. Reason: Please do not type.... like.... this....
Old 23rd August 2015, 21:32   #34
BHPian

Excellent review @moralfibre. The most awaited review of 2015 has finally landed. I loved your technical explanations, especially the air intake- great eye for details.

This was one car I was eagerly waiting for. I agree with GTO, its worth the money. An AT in the SX(O) trim would have been worth it, even for a higher cost. I just did a *facepalm* in disappointment when the car was launched- just could not buy the AT without the modern safety features, even if I overlooked all the other misses.

I hope Hyundai quickly corrects it (too late for me though).
Old 23rd August 2015, 22:15   #35
BHPian

Great review as always... the little bits in the review is what makes the team BHP reviews a class apart.

However I have a noob question...

This review like a lot of others mentions that switching off the ESP is a really bad idea, however in this case all variants of the Creta other than SX(O) comes without ESP, so switching off ESP would make it at par with the other variants? Am I missing something?
Old 23rd August 2015, 23:14   #36
BHPian

Thank you moralfibre for a very exhaustive review of the Creta. Like many others here i was waiting eagerly for this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
What we didn't like is the AT's braking capability. Hyundai should have beefed up the braking hardware on the automatic. The brake pedal simply isn't sharp! At times, it actually feels numb as it's working against the torque being generated. While not weak, the AT's braking is overall rather uninspiring.
I specifically wanted to ask about this-Good you mentioned it. I felt the same too in my automatic Creta. The brakes appear too lazy to react and needs a firm shove on the pedal to get it to a halt. The pedal feels too numb. But the brakes do the job adequately in a panic situation, just that it does not inspire confidence

Here are a few pictures from my side. Guess this is the first black creta in team bhp

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_0628.jpg

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_0635.jpg

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_0633.jpg

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_0639.jpg

The black creta does not have the matt black plastic covering on the B-pillar and the doors

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_0632.jpg

Make sure you have ample time before you sit down to read the Owners' manual of the creta. In a world that is against discrimination of all sorts, Hyundai welcomes it's 'discriminating' customers!! Probably the word to be used was 'discerning'. There are lots of grammatical/ spelling errors in this manual

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_0629.jpg

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_0630.jpg
carfreak is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 23:41   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
In a world that is against discrimination of all sorts, Hyundai welcomes it's 'discriminating' customers!
Haha! That screenshot of the owner's manual generated some major lulz for me. Pics for your Creta just underscore the fact that black is the classiest color.
Old 24th August 2015, 00:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
However I have a noob question...

This review like a lot of others mentions that switching off the ESP is a really bad idea, however in this case all variants of the Creta other than SX(O) comes without ESP, so switching off ESP would make it at par with the other variants? Am I missing something?
You're right! Turning off the ESP would render the car to be just like lower variants. ESP however, is a modern safety marvel and it's benefits extend to every single kind of driver out there. So at the end of the day, turning it off, unless you know the route you are taking and are fully capable of handling your car near its limits, is a bad idea considering you've paid through your nose for the option
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 01:40   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, quite a review there. Very very detailed. The car looks good, but am disappointed. They have not short changed the customers like this in the recent times. I used to love the fact that an i10 (in 2008 & at 4L) had backlit power windows on all 4 doors while my Swift D never had it. And now, on a 15L product, they skipped it. And I think this is one of the few (or first) Hyundai product where I read about too many missing features. I am still not convinced the product is worth, keeping it stand alone and not in comparison with Duster, but the masses think otherwise I guess.

Hope Hyundai learns nothing wrong from this; or we might start seeing more premium prices with lesser kit going forth. When I TDed Elite i20, I had commented how it felt premium and still is so, compared to competition. That was because of many small bits which created a feel good factor. But I am afraid the Creta may fail in that regard. Or may be they reserved all these for the facelift that might come after 2 years.

Personally, one of the Hyundai product review where I feel not happy at the end.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th August 2015 at 01:44.
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 02:37   #40
Senior - BHPian

Great Review (as expected)!!!
After reading the review, I don't know whether to feel happy for Hyundai or sad for Maruti (for simply ruining their golden chance).

When i20 was launched, it vastly exceeded the expectations of Hyundai wrt Sales, and resulted in demise of Getz.

When i20 Elite was launched, it did the same and with grand success of i10 Grand, it pulled the plug on Santro, so Hyundai is getting stronger.

When I first saw the i20 Elite, I was so much smitten by its looks that it felt like other factors (Handling, etc.) be damned, if I had money, I would have bought it immediately. I have mentioned it on other threads too.

I had a soft corner for S-Cross (especially due to Fiat's 1.6L engine) and was avoiding thinking much about Creta. But one fine day, when I saw the Creta in person, I forgot everything for a moment and experienced the same when I first saw the i20 Elite. So what I mean to say is that Hyundai does surely knows how to make "Desirable" cars and full marks to them in this regard. I was immediately reminded of OMG post and 'I would sell my house to buy a Creta' post and felt the same.

Now comes other part, the omission of features can be either due to facelift planning or IMHO keeping the costs in control so even if it fails, it can be sold at a good discount or maybe they were confident that similar to i20 Elite people will forget about the features if they like the looks and it seems to be working as the sales figures of Elite are better than i20 and waiting period of Creta is increasing day by day.

In the second pic of the review Creta clearly looks like a slightly overgrown hatch which it actually is. Its the front grill and straight and boxy bonnet area which makes it look like an SUV.

Creta is also overpriced by a good 1 to 1.5 Lac and so is S-Cross but still there is huge air of negativity can be felt on S-Cross thread, reason, bland looks and boring 1.3L engine. Maruti really missed a chance despite a product launched with top build quality, awesome 1.6L engine and unMaruti interiors while Hyundai launched car and skipped features and variants which is very unHyundai like.

Last edited by carwatcher : 24th August 2015 at 02:42.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 03:15   #41
BHPian

So the most awaited review of the year is finally out, and what a wonderfully detailed review it is. Rated a well deserved 5 stars!
The skimping on features is probably the biggest surprise from Hyundai given their history of best in class features on all their lower models. Doesn't seem to have any effect on potential customers though with the amount of bookings and increased waiting periods being witnessed!
I only wish they had offered the SX(O) trim on both the petrol and AT variants though - seems like a missed opportunity to me.
abhii176 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 05:21   #42
BHPian

Thumbs up for the detailed review!!

Very precise review which give crisp and clear message. Kudos to the reference given below:

"The Creta lacks the street cred of larger SUVs though. You'll notice this in the city. In dense Pune traffic, people would make way for you if you were in a Scorpio or XUV500. In the Creta, no one did. They kept cutting us off like they would a regular sedan. No one moves out of the way for this SUV"

Precise comparisons like the one referenced above will be the deciding factors for most of the buyers who are really looking for the mean and bullish SUV look and feel.

Truly appreciate your efforts in the coming up with the detailed review.
kk28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 07:02   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNM View Post

Hey BNM. It would have been really worth it if Hyundai offered the top spec auto for around a lakh more. The market is quite mature now and people wouldn't mind shelling out the extra bucks for safety.
I guess you spent more on your Creta than what Hyundai would have charged. Inspite of this you end up without the additional safety features.
I wouldn't really compare the Creta with the XUV as I feel that size of the vehicle is really important now for urban commute.
IMO XUV still feels extremely huge and heavy to lug around Bangalore city.
The days for super hatches is just around the corner and we enthusiasts will be queuing for it.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 07:10   #44
BNM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
I specifically wanted to ask about this-Good you mentioned it. I felt the same too in my automatic Creta. The brakes appear too lazy to react and needs a firm shove on the pedal to get it to a halt. The pedal feels too numb. But the brakes do the job adequately in a panic situation, just that it does not inspire confidence
Disc brakes for the rear and ESP should have been a Must for the AT even if it meant extra cost.
Is it possible to add them now?
BNM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 08:43   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

The review if the season is here finally. Deserves a 5 star like most of the reviews although there are few things that I feel should have been incorporated in this review. Since I'm very much interested in Petrol variant only, few things that I wanted to know.

1. Do the rear seats in petrol have 3 adjustable headrests like AT or is it like diesel?

2. The air intake for turbo is near fog lamp in diesel so will it not be damaging if the car is waded through water? Is there something like this in petrol also? These days, most of the cities get severe waterlogging after a small bout of rains.

3. I understand that having ESP and VSM is good but how much detrimental it is if the other variants dont have it? Like you guys have pointed out, Hyundai has shot itself somewhere when it comes down to assigning features. SX(O) petrol was a must. I have even shot off a letter to the MD and VP of Hyundai.

I have a request to people good at Photoshop, can you please colour the other alloy available on SX+ etc to grey and black? I tried but failed, am just a computer lizard, not a wizard!
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks