Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2015, 09:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Vow. What attention to detail. Even after so many ownership reviews,official preview and also reading other reviews I didn't know so many minor details.
Take a bow Moralfibre and GTO. This is truly worth waiting for. Not booking the Creta till it was officially reviewed was worth its weight in gold.

So what is the wading capability of the Creta? Is it prone to breakdown on flooded roads?This can be the biggest deal breaker for me as a lot of roads flood in monsoon.

Can the I20's power window switches with back light be fitted on the Creta?
Can the ECM also fitted from the I20? Awaiting these answers before I book.

Thanks a ton guys.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 10:06   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Awesome review and rated 5 stars. The attention to detail is impeccable. I try to cover almost everything in my owner report but the official review is so hard to beat . Amazing!

Yes, there are few basic features missing in the creta that's badly expected in a car that cost 15L. But I can say that we can definitely live without it. Definitely not a decision changing omission I would say. After driving the car in all sorts of roads that mother nature can throw at, I can say that it was a good decision. The car now is a little over 1k kms.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 24th August 2015 at 10:11.
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 10:59   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
1. Do the rear seats in petrol have 3 adjustable headrests like AT or is it like diesel?
Nope. The rear seat in the SX+ petrol has 2 adjustable headrests and a fixed headrest for the center passenger.

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_7129.jpg

Quote:
2. The air intake for turbo is near fog lamp in diesel so will it not be damaging if the car is waded through water? Is there something like this in petrol also?
Looks like the same layout for the petrol as well.

Engine bay of the petrol.
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-img_6990.jpg

Air filter section.
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-20150824_104608.jpg

Air intake pipe coming from below.
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-20150824_104632.jpg

Circling around before entering the air filter element.
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-20150824_104644.jpg

Quote:
Hyundai has shot itself somewhere when it comes down to assigning features. SX(O) petrol was a must.
Tell me about it. I would have bought the SX(O) petrol without batting an eyelid.

BoneCollector, since you are interested in the petrol, my ownership report might be of some use to you. LINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
So what is the wading capability of the Creta?
If we go by tyre + rim size, it should be ~500 mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Can the I20's power window switches with back light be fitted on the Creta?
Can the ECM also fitted from the I20?
The Hyundai dealership can answer this better. But if the door panel is a straight lift from the i20, then it shouldn't pose a problem.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 11:03   #49

Interesting review of the Creta. Looks good and comes with some benchmark safety features (6 airbags, nice - something that should become standard across cars and manufacturers).

Having said that, whenever I see reviews of these crossovers that have no AWD capability I wonder what these 'cars'offer the customer other than looks. While buying an automobile is an emotional decision (yay consumptionism) and many go for the street cred that comes with an 'SUV', I cant help thinking that a good sedan will always trump these 'SUV's' in the sweepstakes.

Last edited by GTO : 25th August 2015 at 09:58. Reason: PM coming up
VentViper is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 11:25   #50
Senior - BHPian

Wow. The much awaited review is finally here. It was totally worth the wait! Spent a good 40 minutes going through the review. It has everything one can possibly need to know about the Creta. In my opinion, this is one of the most detailed reviews on Team BHP. for moralfibre & GTO for coming up with this exhaustive review! Rated much deserving 5 stars. A great review of a great car!

The beige material on dashboard seems to be of the same texture as the one found on Grand i10/Xcent dashboard. The choco brown key fob looks yuck - I find the plain black of our Xcent to be far more classy looking. I find the rear door pad is not as premium as the dashboard. It looks boring in full black - silver inserts could have enhanced its looks IMHO.
Old 24th August 2015, 11:34   #51
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review of an awesome car!

Thank you, moralfibre & GTO! I fully appreciate the effort and time you guys must have put in to compile this review, so the long delay is quite understandable. Excellent attention to even the minutest of details accompanied by top-quality photos - rated it a thoroughly deserved 5*! Take a bow, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Looks like the same layout for the petrol as well.

Engine bay of the petrol.

Air filter section.

Air intake pipe coming from below.
Dear RavenAvi, please don't go by where the air intake pipe is coming from. I think the intake pipe follows a very convoluted, serpentine path. From your picture, it looks just like the route taken by the air intake in our previous gen. i20 1.2 Kappa Dual VTVT.

If I'm not mistaken, the portion I've marked by an arrow is the beginning of the air intake. You may take a look again at your engine bay to confirm this:

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-image.jpg

If that is indeed the air intake beginning, then you can rest assured that your Creta 1.6 Gamma Dual VTVT is NOT going to suck in water on even badly flooded / water-logged roads.

Edit: I just noticed that even the 1.6 CRDi has a very, very similar component!

@ Mods, could you please check the 1.6 CRDi's engine bay again to see if that is indeed the beginning of the air intake? I think the extremely serpentine path may actually begin from the top of the grille near the air filter box & battery.

Last edited by RSR : 24th August 2015 at 12:00.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 11:37   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Both are 'can't go wrong' choices.

Nope, I don't think the Creta is overpriced. It's worth every rupee of the premium over the Duster.

Equally, I might add, the Creta isn't my kind of car at all. If I were looking for an SUV in this segment, I'd put my money on the XUV500 AWD. I remain a big fan of the XUV500, and Mahindra has continually improved it over the years.
Rating it a well deserved 5 *

And GTO you have summed it up very well - The only bummer for many folks including me is the fact shown in bold below

Rear seat is more suitable for 2 adults, not 3
Old 24th August 2015, 11:42   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

BoneCollector, since you are interested in the petrol, my ownership report might be of some use to you. LINK

Thanks a lot. I have been following your thread very closely and keenly. Its a wonderful one worth more than 5 stars. Even your Swift thread is superb.

What I'm worried about is that will the air intake take in water if we wade through water? Last week I had to take my Wagon R through half tyre high pool of waterlogged road. Thankfully nothing has happened as yet. But this keeps me worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
[i]

If that is indeed the air intake beginning, then you can rest assured that your Creta 1.6 Dual VTVT is not going to suck in water on even badly flooded / water-logged roads.

Edit: I just noticed that even the 1.6 CRDi has a very, very similar component!

@ Mods, could you please check the 1.6 CRDi's engine bay again to see if that is indeed the beginning of the air intake? Thank you.
Just read your post. I hope thats true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Rating it a well deserved 5 *

And GTO you have summed it up very well - The only bummer for many folks including me is the fact shown in bold below

Rear seat is more suitable for 2 adults, not 3
When I sat on the rear seat, I chose to sit in middle and made 2 people of same height sit on both sides. It was not at all congested. Rear seat comfort depends on the build of people occupying it. BTW I'm 5'6".

Last edited by BoneCollector : 24th August 2015 at 11:50.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 13:16   #54
BNM
BHPian

Crevoque
Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-1000x600xhyundaicretalandroverrender1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.uio_nc6xfi2.jpg

Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)-1000x600xhyundaicretalandroverrender2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.fw2akdcfou2.jpg
BNM is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 14:22   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I'm going to go against the tide and repeat what I said in the earlier thread = Nope, I don't think the Creta is overpriced. It's worth every rupee of the premium over the Duster.

Equally, I might add, the Creta isn't my kind of car at all. If I were looking for an SUV in this segment, I'd put my money on the XUV500 AWD. I remain a big fan of the XUV500, and Mahindra has continually improved it over the years.
What a brilliant review!

1. Top class pictures.
2. Top class details
3. Top class presentation.
4. Top class - well everything!

It was indeed worth the wait and I enjoyed reading every moment of it. No other car review I have seen is as comprehensive as this one. I mean no other!

Thank you GTO and Moralfibre!! We love you guys for the work you do here!

This review brings me to a spot. I have pre-booked the S-Cross and was just waiting for the official review of the Creta. Now, I am thinking if I should get the top end creta. It's way out of my budget but 1.6 SX Petrol is something within my budget. The only bone of contention (and a real big one) - Many top end features are not present. There is no top end Petrol and AT. Should I still put my money on the Creta?
sudeepg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 14:30   #56
BHPian

Great write up, and a very detailed review, of the most expected car of this year!!
I found it rather funny to accept the safety instructions every time to use the ICE! It is like saying - "Watching this screen while vehicle is in motion might lead to serious accident, so watch it one last time before you start using it, for our company's satisfaction!"
Probably ICE manufacturers thought passengers wouldn't mind accepting these conditions every time. After all, many of us say a short prayer to our dashboard idol before starting our vehicles, right!
Old 24th August 2015, 15:33   #57
j76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
What an awkwardly shaped rear window - notice how the window sill rises up! Shorter passengers will hate it. This greatly reduces their view outside, and also blocks light from coming in. Not a bright & airy rear bench.
Although this does feel like a drawback, it can be useful considering the sunfilm ban. For those who step out in the sun often, the quarter glass can have a high transparency max heat rejection film. The high sil will block a lot of the sunlight anyway.
Old 24th August 2015, 15:55   #58
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful review.

It does seem shocking when one notices that Hyundai has missed out features offered in their lower segment cars.

But when you look at it from a practical perspective, it seems logical. There can be several reasons for this.

- There is a lack of options in this segment. (Take it or leave it attitude)

- The competition also lacks features. (If a featureless Duster can be a runaway hit, why should Hyundai bother with features ?)

- The customer segment doesn't care about features. (Customers in this segment care more about butch looks than anything else.)

- Hyundai might want to save some features for the facelift. (The Indian auto market is an unpredictable place. Adding features can do wonders during the mid-life makeover)

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 16:23   #59
BHPian

Fantastic Review as usual. After reading through quite a few ownership threads I had got a fair idea about the car. However the attention to detail is phenomenal. About the car, one thing which bemuses me is on how there isn't no insulation underneath the hood. Kudos to Hyundai on that. Yet what I feel after a test drive is, for a korean manufacturer, with average after sales service, who are not that close to competitors, Creta is certainly very HEAVY on the pockets.

Between the Red Creta is so warm on the eyes. Truly HOT & SEXY

Last edited by RedDevil_KP : 24th August 2015 at 16:28. Reason: Spelling
Old 24th August 2015, 18:49   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_boom View Post
Haha! That screenshot of the owner's manual generated some major lulz for me. Pics for your Creta just underscore the fact that black is the classiest color.
Thank you sonic_boom! Yes even i feel if it is an SUV, then black is the colour to go for. Does not matter even if it is a pseudo SUV ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNM View Post
Disc brakes for the rear and ESP should have been a Must for the AT even if it meant extra cost.
Is it possible to add them now?
BNM i must say you have one sweet looking Creta! The alloys look superb. I am planning to change my alloys very soon to 17" ones.

I doubt ESP can be added but a conversion to rear disc brakes may be possible provided the right person with the right expertise is there. I remember Petes had changed the rear drum brakes of a Vento to disc brakes. But a ready kit was available for the same i guess
carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed