Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2015, 12:22   #76
BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
I actually think that the reverse sensor on the passenger door though not a big miss, is actually quite useful
Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
There is a practical use of having a sensor on the passenger side.
There is one more use...which might or might not be very relevant/practical, depending on how individuals look at it! That is CHIVALRY

The driver is expected to accompany the co-passenger to their door, especially if a lady the driver is hoping to impress, and then, magically/stylishly open the door for her... ...for those in this position, this might suddenly look like a very attractive feature!
Old 25th August 2015, 12:23   #77
BHPian

Thanks for the very detailed and thorough review moralfibre and GTO! As always, team-bhp reviews stand out and gives us so much information that even owners miss out

I have now been driving my SX CRDi for the last two weeks and i have to agree that Hyundai has been very stingy with the feature list. I badly miss these features already.
  • ORVM's not opening and folding automatically
  • No auto door lock (even my 5 year old i10 magna has this)
  • Very basic MID display (except SX(o)) which does not even show mileage, gear shift indicator etc. Some of these are present in even 6 lakh rupee cars.
  • No illuminated keys on driver side. Its very dark inside the car during night time and hard to locate these buttons for locking, power windows etc.
  • ECM
  • Reverse camera (The higher versions have this, but this should have been a standard fitment considering the size of the car and could have been integrated with the IRVM for lower versions)

Can anyone suggest a suitable after market AVN which can replace the factory installed 5" audio system?
mustangvins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 13:24   #78
BNM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Took delivery of my SX (O) yesterday from Trident Hyundai. The experience was excellent and met all my expectations

My journey with Hyundai started on 09/09/99, when I took delivery of my Santro DX from Trident Hyundai.
Congratulations and have a wonderful drive ahead KPS !
I think we share a lot in common on our car choices.
I have the same 1999 Santro DX Moved to a Petrol Accent instead of your CRDI. The i20 , fluidic verna and now Creta. Lots of coincidence !
BNM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 13:26   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
On the pricing front, the Creta is definitely placed at a premium, and a lot of BHPians feel that it's overpriced by 1 to 1.5 lakh rupees.
With regard to pricing of the Creta, I doubt if Hyundai felt the same as we do, that it is over priced by a bit. I guess they looked at Renault and Mahindra's suv pricing and felt that nobody will mind putting down another 2 lac more on a design that is modern and well built. Possibly the best when it comes to reliability too.

Quote:
Walk up to the Elite i20 and its mirrors fold out
I know a couple of i20 folks who don't like/want this as a feature. They prefer control over when the mirrors should pop out.

Quote:
Allow me to touch upon some of the goof-ups
That is one huge list. It is better Hyundai act fast on these mistakes and revisit the variant breakdown.

Quote:
Spend some time in the cabin and you’ll be right at home.
This is a very important point. I've been driving a Linea for close to 4 years now. A month ago, on a out station trip, I had a fluidic Verna for a little over a week as my drive. A day spent in the car was enough to acquaint myself with where everything was. To be honest; there was some disappointment when I hopped back in to my car. These things do make a difference.

Quote:
Classy touch: the cluster's illumination fades in & out when you start / stop the car
Observed this on a Verna, when you stop the car. Said “Goodbye” too.

Quote:
This feature is cool or annoying, depending on your perspective.
Definitely annoying.

Quote:
However, there is quite a mismatch in the air volume that is let out from the front vents versus the rear.
I have observed this on a couple of C1 segment sedans. My car suffers from this problem too. The rear vent is effective only when the blower speeds are on the higher side. It is of no use when the blower speed drops to 3 bars. When the blower speed drops, there is very little air coming out of it. I have also noticed a big difference in vent temperature between the front and the back.

Quote:
What's more, the spare wheel cover locks in 'open position', leaving both your hands free for accessing the wheel & tools.
I did not follow the locking bit. On to the tools, I hope Hyundai have redesigned the kit. What I see suggests it is the same kit you get on the Verna. There is a U Hook rod (visible in the tool kit) that you attach to the jack and the other end has a slot that goes in to the end of the wrench. The trouble is, when you turn, the wrench keeps hitting the ground for every half turn you make. You have to take out the wrench and re slot it. This problem goes only after you manage to raise the car a bit, by which time you will be cursing.

Quote:
On the side is a slot to park the buckle when not in use
I have seen this arrangement on a couple of cars and wonder what the purpose of it is. What is wrong with leaving the buckle resting on the seat back?

Quote:
Hyundai's 1.6L diesel is a jewel of an engine and suited to both, city & highway duties.
Absolutely. This engine is so flexible that is performs quite well even on the bigger Elantra. Refinement levels are probably the best in the segment. I have not experienced Fiat's 1.6l Multijet on the S Cross.

Quote:
Newbies will appreciate this feature.
It will be a good idea for owners to educate themselves by reading the manual. Will take away the step of reaching out for the parking brake each time.

Quote:
Hyundai petrols have indeed come a long way; remember their lame engines from the 90s?
Can't forget. It was only recently I was behind the wheel of a 1.6l Accent. Nice low end poke which excites you. Try revving it and its dead as early as 3000rpm.

I was surprised after reading about the petrol Creta cause the very same engine on the Verna was not in the same league with regard to performance. Hyundai have definitely reworked this engine.

As always, an outstanding review.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 25th August 2015 at 13:28.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 13:33   #80
BHPian

Was hoping to get a review of the 1.4 which is what I think may be a good buy. Comparing 1.4 S+ to 1.6 SX looks like a move down on features & the 1.6 SX+ is too far away in terms of pricing compared to S+.

Can we have any update on the drivability of the 1.4 - haven't seen anything anywhere on that engine in reference to Creta. We know it does the duty on i20 but then two different things in terms of class & weight.
Old 25th August 2015, 16:43   #81
BNM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post

Can we have any update on the drivability of the 1.4 - haven't seen anything anywhere on that engine in reference to Creta. We know it does the duty on i20 but then two different things in terms of class & weight.
The second gear in the Diesel i20 is its biggest pitfall. Unless Hyundai has done some retuning/reworked the gear ratios - it will be get worse on the Creta which is obviously bigger and heavier!
BNM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 18:36   #82
BHPian

Excellent review!

Even after three very detailed reviews this one managed to give out a lot of information and does help one form a perspective on the car. Let me illustrate how my point of view has shaped up to its latest point.

Before the Launch
I was quite excited about it as I found it to be a good replacement for my Vento especially with the fact that I wanted an automatic and that it was widely expected to be priced somewhere between the Ecosport and Duster.

Once prices were revealed
I seriously thought Hyundai had shot themselves in the foot and that there was no way anyone was going to pay so much over the Duster / not go for a XUV by paying a little more. XUV though still makes a very strong case for itself.

Once I drove it
I was part of a comparison shoot for another webportal for XUV vs Duster vs Creta. I got to spend quite some time behind the wheel of the SX(O) diesel and got convinced that this car is "worth it". I still stand by my view that anyone rejecting the Creta just for the price needs to experience it before making a decision.

Once the reviews were out on TeamBHP
  1. RavenAvi's passion for the Creta and his detailed thought process and coverage on the Petrol Creta made me want to go for the petrol. I ended up recommending it to a friend
  2. Naveen's thread made me go over all my observations and then some, during the brief period that the Creta was with me
  3. BNM's thread made me want to just mimic everything he has done with the car right down to the roof, alloys and ICE upgrades. I have even recommended the AT version to 2 of my relatives and shared the pic of BNM's car for some ideas
  4. Last but definitely not the least just when I was convinced that this is "the car to buy" comes the extremely insightful and unbiased TeamBHP official review which rationalises the mind and thankfully shows the various flaws in the car. Too bad Hyundai chose to skimp features lesser cars from the same stable get. Another big omission at this price point is the the sunroof. It would have greatly added to the premium feel of the SUV. Another issue is the variants where they need to reduce the number of variants and add some logical ones like the SX(O) trim for Petrol MT and Diesel AT and introduce a Petrol SX+ AT and SX (O) AT.

Would I buy this? Hate to admit but as of now this seems to be the best replacement for my Vento. If I buy it my car is going to look a lot like BNM's ride.

However by the time I have the $$$ to spend on a new car in a year or so, VW might just have launched their Creta rival (hopefully) which should be interesting. Hope Duster fixes the interiors, ergonomics and introduces an AT version soon!

Last edited by miharbe : 25th August 2015 at 18:46.
miharbe is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 19:24   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post

However by the time I have the $$$ to spend on a new car in a year or so, VW might just have launched their Creta rival (hopefully) which should be interesting. Hope Duster fixes the interiors, ergonomics and introduces an AT version soon!
Well I don't think Taigun will be out any time soon. Apart from the concept, I don't think a production version is available elsewhere as well. Apart from sub 4 meter SUV from Maruti and Mahindra, I don't think there is any SUV planned in another 2 years that can take on Creta.
Old 25th August 2015, 19:34   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
I still stand by my view that anyone rejecting the Creta just for the price needs to experience it before making a decision.
Price is an important factor in our country. While I completely agree that after reading the review I believe the SX(O) is worth the price, it's out of my budget. If Hyundai would have provided the top end features in 1.6 Petrol I'd have taken it blindly (it's within my budget too with a slight stretch). I don't understand their step motherly treatment towards the petrol variant. It's a shame. Someone who wants a Petrol variant cannot get the full features. Also they should have provided all round disc brakes.

I believe that a few months down the line when a face lift is due, they are likely to provide Petrol versions with better equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangvins View Post
I have now been driving my SX CRDi for the last two weeks and i have to agree that Hyundai has been very stingy with the feature list. I badly miss these features already.
  • ORVM's not opening and folding automatically
Do you really miss this feature? I mean what difference does it make with the mirrors automatically fold and unfold when you lock/unlock the car? I never missed this. This doesn't in anyway undervalue the loss you are feeling. I believe if they provided a premium product, they should have included it in the top end version atleast - for the price they asked. The best thing Hyundai could have done is providing rear disc brakes if not these fancy features. This is just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangvins View Post
  • No auto door lock (even my 5 year old i10 magna has this)
  • Very basic MID display (except SX(o)) which does not even show mileage, gear shift indicator etc. Some of these are present in even 6 lakh rupee cars.
  • No illuminated keys on driver side. Its very dark inside the car during night time and hard to locate these buttons for locking, power windows etc.
  • ECM
  • Reverse camera (The higher versions have this, but this should have been a standard fitment considering the size of the car and could have been integrated with the IRVM for lower versions)
Totally agree with this. These very useful features have been given a miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
BNM i must say you have one sweet looking Creta! The alloys look superb. I am planning to change my alloys very soon to 17" ones.
Agree with this 100% percent!
sudeepg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 20:28   #85
BNM
BHPian

Lumbar Support
As much as I hate to admit it, the driver seat lacks lumbar and under thigh support. The drive will be painful if you suffer from any lower back ailments. Moralfibre has rightly pointed it out and it's true. Those of you planning to change to leather seats, try to get some extra bolstering if possible.
BNM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 20:54   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNM View Post
Lumbar Support
As much as I hate to admit it, the driver seat lacks lumbar and under thigh support. The drive will be painful if you suffer from any lower back ailments. Moralfibre has rightly pointed it out and it's true. Those of you planning to change to leather seats, try to get some extra bolstering if possible.
+1 to that

I did a drive to Lonawala this weekend and sadly I ended up with severe backache because of inadequate lumbar support (Under thigh support is not too good either). I have done about 1000+ KM's in a day on my swift and never faced this issue and here I did only about 250. I would need to find a solution to this problem else I don’t see all the planned road trips happening.

But that aside, everything else about this car left me with a huge smile.

- Drive was not bouncy (as I had imagined with some horrible reviews of Hyundai's)
- Engine was super quite even on high speeds
- I felt confident driving it between 120-140 range on the expressway
- New Tyres provided awesome grip even on wet road (not sure about stock ones).
- This engine has excellent drivability. Gone are the days when I had to frequently change gears to get the respectable acceleration. So when out on a romantic drives you can hold her hands longer

I also realized that I cant dive in to corners at relatively higher speeds. My Lancer and swift to some extent has really spoilt me bad. I think it would take some time to get used to of higher CG.

Last edited by Abhi99 : 25th August 2015 at 21:15.
Abhi99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 21:00   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNM View Post
Just curious to ask this question. Would you buy the top end AT if it came at 18.5 to 19 Lacs Bangalore OTR ? I was having this argument with somebody on the preview post/thread and saw comments that the current AT price itself was daylight robbery!

The AWD XUV MT is 20 lacs and probably go up to 21.5 lacs to 22 Lacs for an AT version. Would that pricing be reasonable?
Forget Comparing Creta to XUV W10 AWD, it doesn't even hold a candle to W8 AWD which is 18.7laks OTR in Bangalore. Someone paying 17laks for top end Creta ought to check what they are missing from a XUV W8 as the premium is just above one lakh.
Old 25th August 2015, 21:15   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Do you really miss this feature? I mean what difference does it make with the mirrors automatically fold and unfold when you lock/unlock the car? I never missed this. This doesn't in anyway undervalue the loss you are feeling. I believe if they provided a premium product, they should have included it in the top end version atleast - for the price they asked.
It comes in handy while parking in my office parking garage where cars are parked very closely together due to space crunch. Also, whenever i park it on the streets, i am used to closing the ORVM's. Its not something that we cant live with, but then i feel it comes in handy at times.
Old 25th August 2015, 21:32   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post

It's already there in the engine description section. Pasting it here for your convenience

<
Give this engine slightly more throttle than you would in the diesel and you get going in a seamless manner. The first thing that strikes you is the linear power delivery. It's very straight and very progressive. The engine offers good urban driveability by petrol standards. Drop the speedo to 10 - 12 kph in 2nd gear, just wait for a brief moment and it starts pulling nicely. Low rpm torque delivery is satisfactory and you'll have no problems living with it. The 1.6L certainly isn't dead at ~1,500 rpm like some other petrols. Additionally, the gear ratios are perfectly chosen.
>
Old 25th August 2015, 23:10   #90
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review, very well written and all points are covered in depth. I like the Creta; even though they have created many 'features' blunders; I feel Hyundai has given a lot of feel good factor in this car. This car will sell nicely, because it has almost all of the features that the average person wants in a car. I have started seeing a few Creta's on road; though not too many yet.

I actually liked the clean look of the instrument panel in the lower variant than the one in the top end SX(O). I was waiting for the official review to be put up and it was really worth the wait. Overall, Hyundai has one more winner. It remains to be seen how Maruti S-Cross would sell as compared to the Creta.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks