Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2019, 11:53   #2611
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth
My AC Compressor, cooling coil has failed and my car just got out of warranty last month. Any idea of how much the compressor will cost if get it fixed from a FnG?
So couple weeks ago, my friend was out with family in his 3-year old Creta in Trivandrum, when the engine shuts off just like that. He calls me, sends a snap of the dashboard, but nothing off in it. It was a Sunday and takes quite a wait before Hyundai support comes to the rescue.

They say that it happened because the a/c mode was changed (his kid did play with the mode) - but the mode exists to be changed, one would think. Anyway they have it towed to the HASS and the conclusion is that the a/c compressor and condenser have gone bad and need to be changed. Estimate is around 35-40K.

The car is just 3-years old and I am as shocked as he was to know that these could fail in such a new car. Anyway, I ask him to get an opinion from a car a/c shop, who also confirm the HASS diagnosis. So its back to the HASS, who change the parts (took few days to get it after ordering) & repair it.

Interestingly, as a goodwill gesture, Hyundai waived off the 20K cost of the compressor. Interesting, because he didn't really pressure them to do so. So, is this something of a known issue ? I googled around and chanced upon a Hyundai forum where a few guys have had similar failures.

I would suggest you take this up with Hyundai Corporate - it is not done for a car just out of warranty to have a compressor failure. I couldn't digest my Baleno's compressor and condenser fan failing at 14 years (1lakh kms) - so I would be mighty pissed if such failure happens in 2-3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag
I think the compressor costs ~₹20,000 if bought new.
Yes, that's the approx price for the Creta compressor.
Old 6th May 2019, 12:07   #2612
BHPian

How long does the stock battery last?
Mine is a petrol AT, more than 2.5 years old, done around 23k.
When I start it, the PRND backlight dims a decent amount. Is this normal? I never noticed it before.

Don't ask why, but the car has been started with music and ac on alot.
Old 6th May 2019, 16:28   #2613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
How long does the stock battery last?
Mine is a petrol AT, more than 2.5 years old, done around 23k.
When I start it, the PRND backlight dims a decent amount. Is this normal? I never noticed it before.

Don't ask why, but the car has been started with music and ac on alot.
In the petrol, it should last longer, say around 4 years min. My battery lasted 2.5 years (diesel). Did you notice any delay in starting up the car? That's the first sign showing the battery is giving up. I had noticed around 2 secs delay during the final stage.

Do check the life of the battery since it just dies suddenly. Happened to me in a busy mall.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 11:40   #2614
j76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
In the petrol, it should last longer, say around 4 years min. My battery lasted 2.5 years (diesel). Did you notice any delay in starting up the car? That's the first sign showing the battery is giving up. I had noticed around 2 secs delay during the final stage.

With my diesel Creta, the battery lasted 2.5 years and similar to Naveen, there was a delay in starting the car towards the final stage.
j76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 10:45   #2615
BHPian

Suddenly my 1.5 years old Creta AC is not functioning properly. Earlier it would cool the car at 22 but now even at Lo mode, it sends out warm air. When the car stops at a signal or is restarted, it chills for a bit and then its just warm air (in both Auto as well as Manual mode). Has anyone faced a similar issue? I will be sending the car to the authorized service station for diagnosis.. Hope nothing major comes up (though the car is in warranty).
Old 8th May 2019, 10:51   #2616
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay81 View Post
Suddenly my 1.5 years old Creta AC is not functioning properly. Earlier it would cool the car at 22 but now even at Lo mode, it sends out warm air. When the car stops at a signal or is restarted, it chills for a bit and then its just warm air (in both Auto as well as Manual mode). Has anyone faced a similar issue? I will be sending the car to the authorized service station for diagnosis.. Hope nothing major comes up (though the car is in warranty).

Symptoms of low refrigerant. Should not be a major thing unless there is a leak in the system.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 11:27   #2617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay81
Suddenly my 1.5 years old Creta AC is not functioning properly. Earlier it would cool the car at 22 but now even at Lo mode, it sends out warm air. When the car stops at a signal or is restarted, it chills for a bit and then its just warm air
I guess that the Creta has a separate condenser fan (apart from the radiator fan). If so, did you check if the fan is running well ? Could check this by having the car parked, engine running and a/c on. If the fan has any issues, this could affect the cooling.

I had this issue with my Baleno's condenser fan. If the fan isn't working, apart from not cooling properly, this puts additional strain on the compressor, leading to premature compressor failure.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 13:07   #2618
BHPian

The issue did not arise when the service center person drove for around 10 kms. After reaching the service center, the issue did not arise. Also, the refrigerant turned out to be normal. They are now checking the electrical and condenser for issues.
Old 8th May 2019, 22:10   #2619
BHPian

Quote:
Suddenly my 1.5 years old Creta AC is not functioning properly. Earlier it would cool the car at 22 but now even at Lo mode, it sends out warm air. When the car stops at a signal or is restarted, it chills for a bit and then its just warm air (in both Auto as well as Manual mode). Has anyone faced a similar issue?
While I don't own a creta, I had faced a similar issue with my elite i20. Turns out it was a common issue with the car and the following can be the reasons

1. AC Thermistor Replacement
2. AC valve replacement
3. Gas Re-fill

Quote:
The issue did not arise when the service center person drove for around 10 kms.
In my car this issue came up only on long drives when tbe AC was continuously running for around 2 to 3 hours. So a short test may not be enough to replicate it. Please take your car on a properly long spin after it comes back to check if the issue is resolved or not.
JD_404 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 22:14   #2620
BHPian

The car is back - there is no leak or problem with the fans. The issue did not come when the car was at the service centre. As a precaution they refilled the gas. SA has informed that if the issue persists, they will check the coil / condenser and if required, they will replace it under warranty. Thankfully there were no pick up, drop or checking charges.

Last edited by akshay81 : 8th May 2019 at 22:15. Reason: Can't merge it with earlier post / edit the earlier post.
Old 9th May 2019, 01:10   #2621
BHPian

Quote:
The car is back - there is no leak or problem with the fans. The issue did not come when the car was at the service centre...
This exact problem has occurred exactly 5 number of times in the last 5 years with my elite i20 diesel.

Next time you feel that your AC is acting weird; park the car on the side - keep engine running - open bonnet - Check AC Pipes - You'll find ICE (yep!) formation there. Click Pictures!!! n then talk to Hyundai directly via mail before going to the dealership. Just wondering, for out of warranty cars, I dont know what support Hyundai will provide (Mine will be one soon)...

Last edited by Dinesh_Malhotra : 9th May 2019 at 01:12.
Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 10:02   #2622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay81
The car is back - there is no leak or problem with the fans. The issue did not come when the car was at the service centre. As a precaution they refilled the gas. SA has informed that if the issue persists, they will check the coil / condenser and if required, they will replace it under warranty
Since your car is only few months away from getting out of warranty, do keep a close look on reappearance of the issue and bring it to their notice as soon as observed. These parts are costly and if done out of warranty, can leave a big dent in your pocket.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 10:35   #2623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_404 View Post
While I don't own a creta, I had faced a similar issue with my elite i20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post
This exact problem has occurred exactly 5 number of times in the last 5 years with my elite i20 diesel.

Next time you feel that your AC is acting weird; park the car on the side - keep engine running - open bonnet - Check AC Pipes - You'll find ICE (yep!) formation there. Click Pictures!!! n then talk to Hyundai directly via mail before going to the dealership. Just wondering, for out of warranty cars, I dont know what support Hyundai will provide (Mine will be one soon)...

Looks like common problem for Hyundai cars though never faced similar issue in Verna which I used for over 3 years. Ice formation!!! Never thought of opening the bonnet. Next time the issue comes up again, will definitely open the bonnet.

I have always had good experience with Hyundai when it comes to warranty. If you have raised this issue even once when the car was in warranty, I think they will honor it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Since your car is only few months away from getting out of warranty, do keep a close look on reappearance of the issue and bring it to their notice as soon as observed. These parts are costly and if done out of warranty, can leave a big dent in your pocket.

Two years will get completed in the last week of May. I do have the extended warranty and hopefully this is covered under it. In any case I have raised an issue before expiration of warranty and knowing Hyundai, they wont make a fuss about it. Thanks for cautioning.
Old 9th May 2019, 14:11   #2624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I recently faced the same issue in my 3.5 year old Creta. Unfortunately by the time this happened my car was out of warranty.

So i took it to a FnG and found out that the compressor, condenser and cooling coil needed to be replaced.

Never understood why the AC components fail prematurely in Hyundai’s cars. The exact same thing happened with my Grand i10 also when it was about 3 years old.
aparth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 16:08   #2625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
So i took it to a FnG and found out that the compressor, condenser and cooling coil needed to be replaced.
Just so that you are aware and can do better with this issue when it next time arises, I have come to realise with my past experiences (with help of Hyundai Service Advisors), the culprit in this whole system is the 'Expansion Valve' which needs to be replaced.
Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks