Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2016, 17:01   #991
BHPian

Re: Ford Aspire : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nice input! I dont think the gears are notchy at all but, it's a matter of depressing the clutch to full extent for gears to engage smoothly.

This car doesn't allow you to engage gears with half clutch mechanism

But, only place where I'm a bit unhappy is when I engage reverse and this is where it gets stuck most of the times. I mean have to focus to ensure it's engaged smoothly else it takes more than one time effort

Btw, do you have a picture of the area where the gear selector is located in the car and also of that 3M spray? I'm due for 3rd service in 800kms
Forget fully depressing the clutch pedal - even double clutching when shifting to first/second gears hadn't helped much - it used to feel like I was rowing through mud, and the lack of a positive feedback was a big annoyance. For me, it has been a night and day difference after this lubrication.

Earlier, my car's gearbox rated well below the standard set by the VW TDi gearbox (Still the best) and even below the Swift's positive shifting 'box. Now, it has just about caught up to the Suzuki's box!

The gear selector is located behind the flap circled in red. This region is located right behind the front left fog lamp. Sorry, I don't have a picture of the spray itself, but it was a generic 3M lubrication spray. Perhaps WD-40 will also do the trick.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Aspire : Official Review-img_20160829_164615.jpg  

d3mon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 17:43   #992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Sorry, I don't have a picture of the spray itself, but it was a generic 3M lubrication spray. Perhaps WD-40 will also do the trick.
Thank you for the info and the pictures.

In all likelihood, the spray would be this 4-way lubricant from 3M: http://www.amazon.in/dp/B015OJJR8W
3M's range of lubricant sprays are listed here: http://solutions.3mindia.co.in/wps/p...ns/Lubricants/

I also want to point out that WD-40 will not be an equivalent substitute - while WD-40 will remove rust and moisture and loosen items, it does not have any lubricating properties. So if you use WD-40, you must follow it up with an actual lubricant.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 17:50   #993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Thank you for the info and the pictures.

In all likelihood, the spray would be this 4-way lubricant from 3M: http://www.amazon.in/dp/B015OJJR8W
3M's range of lubricant sprays are listed here: http://solutions.3mindia.co.in/wps/p...ns/Lubricants/

I also want to point out that WD-40 will not be an equivalent substitute - while WD-40 will remove rust and moisture and loosen items, it does not have any lubricating properties. So if you use WD-40, you must follow it up with an actual lubricant.
I think you have the right product there! Thanks for the clarification on WD-40. Didn't even know there are so many kinds of lubricants!
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 20:57   #994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, only place where I'm a bit unhappy is when I engage reverse and this is where it gets stuck most of the times. I mean have to focus to ensure it's engaged smoothly else it takes more than one time effort.
I have never had this problem till now, but it happened to me twice today.

Something to do with ageing?
I just crossed 6000 yesterday.
Old 29th August 2016, 21:51   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
.. Tip: I had them lubricate the gear selector with a 3M lubrication spray of some sort and it did wonders to the gear shifting action...
Quote:
.. But, only place where I'm a bit unhappy is when I engage reverse and this is where it gets stuck most of the times. I mean have to focus to ensure it's engaged smoothly else it takes more than one time effort..
@d3mon: Thanks for the tip! Sounds really good. I went for the 30K KM service the day before your tip came, so I missed the bus this time around. Gear selector lubrication would be top priority during the next visit to the service centre

@mobike008: Couldn't agree with you more on the reverse gear thing. It's a real pain in the neck
Old 29th August 2016, 22:17   #996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I have never had this problem till now, but it happened to me twice today.

Something to do with ageing?
Come on, 6000 is not really 'ageing' this is an inherent nature of the iB5 transmission used by Ford I suppose, as none of the other forward gears exhibit this trait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by espraveen View Post
Gear selector lubrication would be top priority during the next visit to the service centre

@mobike008: Couldn't agree with you more on the reverse gear thing. It's a real pain in the neck
I don't think this is a lubrication issue, as even my Fiesta has it, and simplest work-around I have been using is to go back to neutral and firmly slot it to reverse again.

Over the years, I have the feel whenever the reverse is not fully engaged - the lesser lever movement indicates this, and in such instances, I don't release the clutch before firm-slotting to reverse.
aravind.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 22:31   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
.. I don't think this is a lubrication issue, as even my Fiesta has it, and simplest work-around I have been using is to go back to neutral and firmly slot it to reverse again...
Yes! I have been doing what you've suggested here - > ''... the lesser lever movement indicates this, and in such instances, I don't release the clutch before firm-slotting to reverse'' and that sort of resolves the issue. But only after we get that moment of '' what the hell ''

And the lubrication stuff is for an improvement in the general forward gears slotting!!

Last edited by espraveen : 29th August 2016 at 22:32.
Old 29th August 2016, 22:46   #998
BHPian

BTW you guys don't have to wait to go to the service center, if you don't want to.
The plastic flap that I posted about earlier isn't secured by any screws or anything - it just comes right off if you pull at it.

So if you have a can of lubricant (ahem) lying around, you could give this a shot as a DIY.

Look what I found! A guy is opening up this very panel and showing the gear selector working.
See from the 0:45 mark.

One thing I noticed in the video was that it has dust covers inside that panel for the individual cables, but in my car, there were none :|
Can someone confirm if they have it on their cars or not?

Last edited by d3mon : 29th August 2016 at 22:57.
d3mon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 16:42   #999
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Come on, 6000 is not really 'ageing' this is an inherent nature of the iB5 transmission used by Ford I suppose, as none of the other forward gears exhibit this trait.I don't think this is a lubrication issue, as even my Fiesta has it, and simplest work-around I have been using is to go back to neutral and firmly slot it to reverse again.

Over the years, I have the feel whenever the reverse is not fully engaged - the lesser lever movement indicates this, and in such instances, I don't release the clutch before firm-slotting to reverse.
Spot on Aravind

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I have never had this problem till now, but it happened to me twice today. Something to do with ageing?
6000kms on a modern engine is like a baby transitioning to bottled milk..so imagine how much life is still there if that baby is supposed to lead an average life of 60 years. A stupid analogy but, I hope you got the drift

I had mentioned several times in my post about the reverse gear issue. Actually it's not an issue but, an irritant like the sound creeping in after 140kmph

Have outlined in this short report after my Kerala trip :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3883406
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 06:43   #1000
BHPian

Ford domestic sales is 8548 units in August. Bifurcation is not available yet but I think it should be around 5k for the Ecosport and 1.5 - 1.7 k each for the Figo and Aspire.
AKTRACK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 09:54   #1001
BHPian

Received this pleasant email from Ford with subject line "Happy Anniversary to you and your Aspire"

Did anyone get this?! curious!!!

thanks enjoy TDCing!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Aspire : Official Review-welcome2_kv.png  

Last edited by novicefreak : 7th September 2016 at 09:56.
novicefreak is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 16:35   #1002
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone renewed their Aspire insurance policy?

Can you share the following information?

IDV Value :
Premium Amount :
Insurer Name :
Benefits Covered:

Thanks in advance !!
Old 7th September 2016, 16:53   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone renewed their Aspire insurance policy?

Can you share the following information?

IDV Value :
Premium Amount :
Insurer Name :
Benefits Covered:

Thanks in advance !!
You may refer my post #970 here few clicks!!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4040529

Copy pasting same again for reference!

hi friends, just a small update from my end, its time to renew my Car Policy &
I opted for New India Assurance at a FNA(Friendly Neighborhood Adviser :-))

It is called " Private Car Enhancement Cover Policy" (simple terms: Nil Dep.)
IDV: 589856/-
Total Rs: 11249/-

enjoy TDCi-ng :-)

IDV Value : 589856/-
Premium Amount :11249/-
Insurer Name : New India Assurance
Benefits Covered: Nil Dep

Own Damage (OD)
Basic Third Party(TP) Cover: Compulsory PA cover for Owner Driver, PA cover for UnNamed Persons, LL cover for Paid Driver
Towing Charges covered is upto Rs1500 (May opt additional upto Rs 10,000 at slight premium ~300 Rs)
RSA is covered by Ford anyways!

enjoy TDCi-ng :-)
novicefreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 17:21   #1004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicefreak View Post
IDV Value : 589856/-
Premium Amount :11249/-
Insurer Name : New India Assurance
Benefits Covered: Nil Dep

Own Damage (OD)
Basic Third Party(TP) Cover: Compulsory PA cover for Owner Driver, PA cover for UnNamed Persons, LL cover for Paid Driver
Towing Charges covered is upto Rs1500 (May opt additional upto Rs 10,000 at slight premium ~300 Rs)
RSA is covered by Ford anyways!
Thanks! I'm due to renew by Sep 17th and I got 2 quotes and as you can see there is a significant difference in premium for both even though IDV is same

In the garb of additional cover they are charging exorbitant for 2nd option (Quote on right)

Is there a major difference to both quotes? Inputs please?

Vehicle FORD FIGO ASPIRE AT TIT P FORD FIGO ASPIRE AT TIT P
YOM 2,015 2,015
Expiring IDV 0
Renewal IDV 721,692 721,692
Tariff rate 3.283% 3.283%
Tariff Premium 23,693 23,693
Tarifff Discount 73.40% 73.40%
T-Rate Dis.Amt 17,391 17,391
OD Premium 6,302 6,302
NCB 20% 20%
Ncb Amount. 1,260 1,260
Nett OD Premium 5,042 5,042
Basic TP 2,237 2,237
PA to Owner Driver 100 100
Unnamed PA(60000) 0 0
LL to Paid Driver 50 50
Nett Premium 7,429 7,429
Service Tax (15%) 1,114 1,114
TOTAL 8,543 8,543
Bundle Add-on Rate 0.00% 1.21%
Road Side Assistance 0 375
Bundle Add-on Premium 0 8,732
Total Add on prmium 0 9,107
ST(15%) 0 1,366
Payable Addon Premium 0 10,474
Annual Payable premium 8,543 19,017

Add-on Coverages Depreciation Reimbursement
Consumable Expenses
Return to Invoice
Engine Protector
Key Cover
Road Side Assistance
Old 7th September 2016, 22:08   #1005
BHPian

I don't know what TATA AIG is up to, but while I paid 12.5K for the first year (with zero dep, 65% NCB), they've sent me a quote for 13.5K for a renewal. Will have to dig into the details to figure out what they've done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks