Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2017, 13:31   #1336
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Aspire : Official Review

Any diesel Aspire owners experienced diesel exhaust smell inside the car?
On a 700 kms trip last weekend I could smell fumes, not strong, few times.

Not sure how it is getting inside. Seems there is a gap somewhere since initially I had issues with mosquitos getting inside overnight.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 16:00   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Not Aspire but skanchan had petrol smell in his Figo which was unresolved. I only get the smell in the cabin a few minutes after tanking up. Keeping the windows lowered for a short while will remove the smell and never has it occurred again.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 16:15   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
.. I only get the smell in the cabin a few minutes after tanking up. Keeping the windows lowered for a short while will remove the smell and never has it occurred again.
thats the way to go, smell in cabin after tank up is common I believe and as you rightly mentioned lowering windows for few km will erase the diesel odor.

@tharian, please have a thorough check up at FORD A.S.S.

enjoy
TDCing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Possible Tyre replacement for cars shod with mrf tyres

More info here
Yes, Aspire since inception had this noise level high, thanks to MRF tires and I was in those initial lot of buyers (Sep2015) who had to undergo this noisy drive before they were replaced after few follow ups. I had mentioned in earlier posts about this replacement. Now my Aspire is on Goodyears

Good to know that FORD is replacing under warranty, and this has become official, thanks to TBHP, but it should be done as recall and not one who raises the issue. Not many people know about tire/engine noise etc...I am one of them.

Strangely Aspire has one more issue, at least for me.. its the clutch..its hard and not at all comfortable in busy traffic drive these days, on the other hand on highways its a pleasure to drive and brings lots of smile.

enjoy
TDCing

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th August 2017 at 18:24. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
novicefreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 17:29   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not Aspire but skanchan had petrol smell in his Figo which was unresolved. I only get the smell in the cabin a few minutes after tanking up. Keeping the windows lowered for a short while will remove the smell and never has it occurred again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by novicefreak View Post
thats the way to go, smell in cabin after tank up is common I believe and as you rightly mentioned lowering windows for few km will erase the diesel odor.

@tharian, please have a thorough check up at FORD A.S.S.

enjoy
TDCing
This is the first time I am experiencing this on the last trip and the car had crossed 3,500kms when I first got the fume smell.
In city, I have never experienced it. Also, it is the exhaust smell and not the diesel in the tank smell.
It is not strong at all, I knew the smell is the exhaust since I leave the car in idle in the mornings for half a minute in which the door is open and I get the same smell.

I asked my wife as well to confirm so I can be sure it is not my nose and she got it too. It comes and goes.

I'll keep a watch for it , if it occurs again.
Old 14th August 2017, 17:33   #1340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, it is the exhaust smell and not the diesel in the tank smell.
Please keep a watch if it is the exhaust fumes and get it rectified as it is not supposed to enter the cabin at all costs. Also if it is something that you can reproduce at the SVC it will be better. Else they will surely brush it off unless they can see or rather smell the issue. You might be right in your observation that there might be some gap somewhere causing this as you have also observed mosquitoes in the cabin earlier as well.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 18:02   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicefreak View Post
Yes, Aspire since inception had this noise level high, thanks to MRF tires and I was in those initial lot of buyers (Sep2015) who had to undergo this noisy drive before they were replaced after few follow ups. I had mentioned in earlier posts about this replacement. Now my Aspire is on Goodyears

Good to know that FORD is replacing under warranty, and this has become official, thanks to TBHP, but it should be done as recall and not one who raises the issue. Not many people know about tire/engine noise etc...I am one of them.

Strangely Aspire has one more issue, at least for me.. its the clutch..its hard and not at all comfortable in busy traffic drive these days, on the other hand on highways its a pleasure to drive and brings lots of smile.

enjoy
TDCing
I had given my Figo Aspire to Planet Ford for 1st year service. It has clocked 9600 kms. I had complained to the SA about excessive road noise from the MRF tyres. He tested it and said it is normal. Though he did mention that I should take it to some other Ford Service Centre and get it tested there. The reason mentioned was that as Planet Ford is shutting down, Ford may not change tyres under warranty. The SA mentioned that they are just doing regular service and no warranty replacement was happening at Planet Ford outlet.
Old 14th August 2017, 18:10   #1342
BHPian

How is the 1.5 Auto Petrol in terms of performance? It's the only decent outbox outside the DSG in India in this segment.
Old 14th August 2017, 18:24   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
How is the 1.5 Auto Petrol in terms of performance? It's the only decent outbox outside the DSG in India in this segment.
Most reviews including the t-bhp one point to a very average performance and no where close to what the explosive combo of 1.2TSI + DSG. Also the petrol engine is Naturally Aspirated so it cannot come close to the turbo petrol in terms of performance. But as an alternative, and for a non-enthusiast looking at a good petrol automatic at a VFM price, this should serve them well.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 20:37   #1344
BHPian

I am planning to replace stock 175/R14/65 for Aspire with Yoko Earth 1 185/R14/65. Would that be a good decision? I am giving a miss to Michelin since most of reviewers are saying Yoko are equally good and save significant cost.

I would replace tyres immediately after delivery. Hope it won't affect the warranty.
Panko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 20:46   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panko View Post
I am planning to replace stock 175/R14/65 for Aspire with Yoko Earth 1 185/R14/65. Would that be a good decision? I am giving a miss to Michelin since most of reviewers are saying Yoko are equally good and save significant cost.

I would replace tyres immediately after delivery. Hope it won't affect the warranty.
Why not ask the dealership to replace the stock tyres with Michelins and you pay the difference in cost (350 per tyre). Only issue is that you woud get 175s.
Old 14th August 2017, 21:50   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panko View Post
I am planning to replace stock 175/R14/65 for Aspire with Yoko Earth 1 185/R14/65.... I would replace tyres immediately after delivery. Hope it won't affect the warranty.
Please double check the size you are upsizing to. I think you may need 185/60/R14 but verify once again in the tyre size calculator etc. Ideally since you are going for slightly wider contact patch tyres, there might be an issue if you don't have a good rapport with the service advisers. I upsized to a similar size on my earlier Fiesta classic and since I knew the SA well, he was appreciative of the fact that I had chosen a better brand of tyre compared to OEM. Same with the current Figo as well. So it depends on your rapport with the SA. Generally they will not make a fuss since it is a small increase in tyre size only and not a rim change to 15 inch or something.

Else the other option is to stick to stock size as Sam has mentioned but go for Michelin. If it is the Diesel Aspire you are getting then you definitely would need the wider contact patch for better braking and stability on highways at speeds.
Old 14th August 2017, 22:04   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Why not ask the dealership to replace the stock tyres with Michelins and you pay the difference in cost (350 per tyre). Only issue is that you woud get 175s.
Thanks Sam...this appears economical option. I am not sure how much difference 185s would do compared to 175s. But somehow think that 185 are badly needed for diesel.

Quote:
Please double check the size you are upsizing to. I think you may need 185/60/R14 but verify once again in the tyre size calculator etc. Ideally since you are going for slightly wider contact patch tyres, there might be an issue if you don't have a good rapport with the service advisers. I upsized to a similar size on my earlier Fiesta classic and since I knew the SA well, he was appreciative of the fact that I had chosen a better brand of tyre compared to OEM. Same with the current Figo as well. So it depends on your rapport with the SA. Generally they will not make a fuss since it is a small increase in tyre size only and not a rim change to 15 inch or something.

Else the other option is to stick to stock size as Sam has mentioned but go for Michelin. If it is the Diesel Aspire you are getting then you definitely would need the wider contact patch for better braking and stability on highways at speeds.
Thanks buddy...I agree.
Old 15th August 2017, 22:34   #1348
BHPian

Quote:

Not sure how it is getting inside. Seems there is a gap somewhere since initially I had issues with mosquitos getting inside overnight.
My Aspire TDCi is around 5000kms/5 months. I am running with windows up all the time and never noticed any such smell. Mind you, only one particular friend with a very picky nose at times complains about the diesel odor inside cabin.

Either I am and most of my passengers are used to the smell inside else its that car perfume which covers the diesel odor or may be I don't have that issue with my car.

But this mosquito problem is present with me, but I have noticed, they mostly enter while ingress or exiting the car with doors open. Funny thing is, they all die right at the edge of rear wind screen and dead bodies pile up there.

That edge, where rear windscreen meets the parcel tray, is really hard to clean. Vacuum hose doesn't reach there and if trying with figures, I end up squashing them. I am worried with that pile of mosquito as it may attract ants. Ants and complex electrical aren't something meant to last together
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 10:20   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post

But this mosquito problem is present with me, but I have noticed, they mostly enter while ingress or exiting the car with doors open. Funny thing is, they all die right at the edge of rear wind screen and dead bodies pile up there.
That is a clue for me to check for any gaps there.

There are times when the exhaust fumes due to the aerodynamics will stick to the back of the car, although the end pipe is facing down. Will have to check for the boot for the smell on the next trip.

Last edited by tharian : 16th August 2017 at 10:24.
Old 16th August 2017, 11:58   #1350
BHPian

My kid brother and one of my cousins do complain of some kind of odour inside the car. They also complain of suffocation in recirculation mode when AC is on with the windows up. I have never felt any of that. May be I am used to the car smell. I rarely use car perfume. I hope Ford has used good quality plastic. Bad plastics leech toxic chemicals in the car when hot or otherwise too. Also, other culprit could be the chemicals we use inside the like dashboard dressers, fabric cleaner etc. One should always use a good quality one as they tend to stick to whatever you apply them on.

Most Viewed