Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2015, 14:33   #31
BHPian

Re: Renault India will open first-of-a-kind digital showrooms!

Excellent Review guys! Rated 5 stars!

I have mixed feelings about this car after I read this review. On one hand, it seems to be clearly a better car than a Alto 800 or K10. But on another, it really doesn't seem to be suitable for the highway. Instead of the SatNav, if Renault offered two airbags and ABS at least as an option, at least on the top variant, that would have been a lot more sensible. In fact, when they are selling it with safety kit in Brazil and not here, it only goes to show their perception about the Indian market.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 14:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Kwid : Official Review

Fantastic Review Viddy! Looks like the Kwid will be a chartbuster.

The one part I appreciate the most is the relative lack of chrome on the car. As a chrome-hater, it appeals to me! For chrome lovers, there is no dearth of additional chrome bling bling available as after market accessories to apply wherever they want, its a brilliant win-win situation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Renault have fitted an awesome steering wheel in the Kwid. I’d say this is the best steering wheel (to hold), not just within the entry-level segment but even among hatchbacks from a higher segment. It’s small in size, beefy to hold, has thumb contours, a big horn pad, is leather-wrapped in the top area and gets a piano black finish on the bottom spoke. The steering is a delight to use.
What's the point of having leather in non-contact areas and call it a leather steering wheel? Instead of the top quarter, I'd have appreciated if the leather covered the thumb contour areas if not the whole wheel.

Renault Kwid : Official Review-renaultkwid02.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 14:48   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post

What's the point of having leather in non-contact areas and call it a leather steering wheel? Instead of the top quarter, I'd have appreciated if the leather covered the thumb contour areas if not the whole wheel.
I guess that how it would last longer!
Old 14th October 2015, 15:10   #34
BHPian

Great review !! 5 Stars.

According to me Renault has been able to check most of the boxes for a car in the segment. Many more boxes than the Eon and best selling Alto. However, one box which is extremely weak for Renault is the Dealer and Service Network.
I have seen numerous workshops which specialize in Marutis. So, for people in tier 2 & 3 cities, these become the primary service centers for their Altos.
Kwid will sell well in the big cities, but it will be no match in the smaller cities.

All said and done, compared product to product, Kwid is way better than any of its competition. But, the moment we factor in other aspects (read Service, Dealer penetration), the gap diminishes.

Hope Renault has begun developing the support system for the Kwid, otherwise, another marvelous product would meet an untimely end.
Old 14th October 2015, 15:31   #35
BHPian

Awesome review. Rated well deserved 5 stars.
Take a bow Renault. What an amazing product it is!
Even my Elite i20 doesn't match with respect to boot space and ground clearance.

Entry level segment being much sensitive to fuel efficiency, 25+ kmpl is big plus for Kwid.
IMHO 180 mm ground clearance and 'small SUVish' look should attract many buyers.
If Renault manages to provide hasslefree after sales service and support, we'll definitely see Kwid jumping to second spot in the segment as of now.Hope Renault makes best out the upcoming festive season.
Only concern I felt: The front side turn indicators on the wheel arc feel bit unconventional, hope autowalas cruising near rear door don't neglect those.
Old 14th October 2015, 15:37   #36
BHPian

Excellent review as always! As far as the car is concerned, I couldn't find any glaring weakness that would potentially hamper sales. But lets wait and watch if the car gives some nightmare to Alto or would Alto continue to hold its stronghold. I'm already suggesting my dad to go for this as he's searching in this budget for a limited usage. However, I'm worried about the poor dealer network of Renault.

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2015 at 13:34. Reason: Typo
Old 14th October 2015, 16:23   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Kwid Deliveries begin. Average waiting period of 3 months.

Quote:
Renault has started delivering the Kwid hatchback through its dealerships in the metro cities. The deliveries in the Tier II cities are expected to commence next week around Dussehra; also the dealer sources confirm that the car now calls for a waiting period that extends till January.
Good news is that they do have plans to ramp prioduction, if the initial interest is sustained.

Quote:
The company is expected to be a little conservative with the production for the first couple of months. If the bookings continue to pile on after the initial excitement has subsided, Renault should increase the production at the facility in Chennai.
Source: Carwale
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 16:42   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
I guess that how it would last longer!
The other section is bigger in size and hence may require more leather. Hence they decided to do away with smaller section

On a serious note, the reason could be that it would provide more grip during maneuvering when the steering is turned maximum (maybe while parking). Correct me if I am wrong here.
Old 14th October 2015, 17:01   #39
BHPian

Renault has reprieved the nomenclature of the RxZ, We hope that the RxT will add ‘T’remendous value as well to the brand in general.

What impresses is the power to weight ratio, which clearly defeats the likes of a few cars.

I own a Renault Scala RxL- dCi which I deem as the unsung hero for the practicality and the performance it offers. Let’s hope that the Kwid bandwagon achieves what it deserves.

Best wishes Renault.

+1 to an amazing review.
Old 14th October 2015, 17:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review, thanks for sharing! Rated a well deserved 5 stars for covering every nook & cranny of the car.

Looks very promising for the entry level segment & most negatives (barring expressway performance)are passable for the first time/newbie car drivers. Hope Renault gets a strong foot hold in this segment and churn out a 1.0L engine variant of this car. Makes for a snazzy city runabout and at this cost, its currently unbeatable. Only if the market and car buyers open their minds, this car will be a success in India.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 14th October 2015 at 17:26.
Old 14th October 2015, 17:29   #41

Brilliant review. Rated 5 star.
This car is more than capable of giving a tough competition to the segment leaders. But as pointed out already, Renault's sub par service experiences would deter prospective buyers. Renault has done some good work with this car in terms of pricing, styling and features for an entry level car, hope it does some work on the service quality front as well.
Old 14th October 2015, 17:42   #42
BHPian

Seeing Renault declaring 25+ kmpl mileage, the only thing I can say that even RE60 with 200cc single cylinder which generates about 20 bhp, and which has about half its size and soft tops can give only 35 kmpl! Way to go Renault!

On similar lines, just a naive question - If a manufacturer starts a project to deliver a FE figure of 50 kmpl, what are the possibilities currently?
In the recent few years our ARAI FE figures have improved by at least 70% for same size engines.
I mean, are there any genuine possibilities in the recent future? Like reducing weight further, reducing CC further, improving gearing ratios, reducing idle rpms etc. Japan has a long history of cars that have been running on much smaller engines. Anything that we can learn from there to improve our FE?
I am sure if a car such as Kwid can declare a figure of 50 kmpl, many more people would buy cars. The fact that cars currently deliver not even one third of their two wheeler FE figures is what preventing most population in buying cars even if they can afford it.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 17:54   #43
BHPian

Another detailed review, kudos to Vid and team for bringing to light all the subtle points which most of the us wouldn't have noticed for example the positioning of the headlamps which may accumulate dirt later. You definitely need a keen eye for those kind of observations.

Overall a very good effort by Renault and they definitely have a winner in hand. It should be the end of Eon and decreasing sales for Alto.

Last edited by Chillout : 14th October 2015 at 17:57.
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 17:55   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Seeing Renault declaring 25+ kmpl mileage, the only thing I can say that even RE60 with 200cc single cylinder which generates about 20 bhp, and which has about half its size and soft tops can give only 35 kmpl! Way to go Renault!

On similar lines, just a naive question - If a manufacturer starts a project to deliver a FE figure of 50 kmpl, what are the possibilities currently?
In the recent few years our ARAI FE figures have improved by at least 70% for same size engines.
I mean, are there any genuine possibilities in the recent future? Like reducing weight further, reducing CC further, improving gearing ratios, reducing idle rpms etc. Japan has a long history of cars that have been running on much smaller engines. Anything that we can learn from there to improve our FE?
I am sure if a car such as Kwid can declare a figure of 50 kmpl, many more people would buy cars. The fact that cars currently deliver not even one third of their two wheeler FE figures is what preventing most population in buying cars even if they can afford it.
The Kitna deti hai mentality of our country might lap up a car if it indeed boasts of tall FE figures, but any lighter and cars would get blown off the roads by a fast moving truck. On a more serious note, it is the huge FE figures of our small engined motorcycles that keeps people from buying even the basic cars, yet they compromise on their safety by riding 3 up, 4 up or even 5 up on rather costly bikes (case in point being I saw a vespa with a husband and a wife, one kid on the footboard, one kid between the two of them and a baby in the lady's arms), something that struck me as ridiculous, since someone who buys a vespa wouldn't normally be the type to not be able to afford a car. Sorry if I'm a bit off topic here
The one thing here is that the Kwid does offer some safety kit at this entry level price point which is to be commended.
nmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 18:11   #45
BHPian

Awesome as usual Vid6639 and S2!!!

Great review! Will be interesting to see how Renault lives up to the tremendous expectations with its after sales service. Time to wait and watch. If things go smooth, this may well be our 2nd car.
achyu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks