Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2019, 15:26   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Kwid : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
...the instrument cluster must have gone kaput and that's why the car wasn't starting as they're interconnected...
Now this is something very surprising, thank you for sharing. Sorry for being pretty naive, but by instrument cluster do you mean the player or the odometer console. Just want to get my facts clear. If possible, can you share an image please.
Old 26th March 2019, 15:37   #632
Senior - BHPian

Renault India to hike prices of Kwid by up to 3% from April.

Quote:
French automaker Renault on Monday announced the price hike of up to 3 per cent on Kwid range effective from 1 April 2019. The price increase is on the account of rising input costs.
ETAuto News.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 19:27   #633
Senior - BHPian

Guys one quick advise please.
My 2017 Kwid has approximately 36000 on the odometer. I have read past reviews and its suggested that one should have the tires replaced around 50000/5Y (whichever is earlier)
Since I completed a few marathon roadtrips, is it advisable to change the tires? I can share image of all the wheels but that might take some time.
Can anyone please suggest in the meantime?
Old 11th July 2019, 20:00   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Guys one quick advise please.
My 2017 Kwid has approximately 36000 on the odometer. I have read past reviews and its suggested that one should have the tires replaced around 50000/5Y (whichever is earlier)
Since I completed a few marathon roadtrips, is it advisable to change the tires? I can share image of all the wheels but that might take some time.
Can anyone please suggest in the meantime?
Hello Majumdarda. I think you should change your tires before the 5 year/50000km mark ONLY if your tires show any cracks, bulges, have uneven wear on them, have deteriorated in any way or if the tread wire indicator is indicating a tire change.

To understand how to check tread wear indicator, please follow PatchyBoy's post below, from this thread (Coin Test for Tyre Wear checking):

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Here is how:

Tread depth and tread wear indicators

For the most part, motoring law in most countries determines that your tires need a minimum tread depth to be legal. This varies from country to country but is normally around 1.6mm. To assist you in figuring out when you're getting close to that value, most tires have tread wear indicators built into them. If you look around the tread carefully, at some point you'll see a bar of rubber which goes across the tread and isn't part of the regular pattern (see the picture here for an example). This is the wear indicator. It's really basic, but it's also pretty foolproof. The tread wear indicator is moulded into the rubber at a depth of about 2mm normally. As the rubber in your tires wears away due to everyday use, the tread wears down. At some point, the tire tread will become flush with the wear indicator (which is normally recessed into the tread). At this point you have about 2mm of tread left - in other words it is time to change tires.
Regards,
boniver.
boniver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 13:28   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post

To understand how to check tread wear indicator, please follow PatchyBoy's post below, from this thread (Coin Test for Tyre Wear checking):
...Regards,
boniver.
Thank you very much boniver. This seems pretty simple. I will quickly have a look at the tire and try to judge the thread depth.
Old 25th July 2019, 14:38   #636
BHPian

Anyone replaced the stock IRVM with an anti-glare (manual dimming knob) IRVM? If yes, where do I find one? I tried to search online, but no luck yet.
Old 25th July 2019, 19:57   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Anyone replaced the stock IRVM with an anti-glare (manual dimming knob) IRVM? If yes, where do I find one? I tried to search online, but no luck yet.
Hi, presume this mirror is common with the one applicable on Dusters? Boodmo is probably where you are more likely to get it. Fitment is a breeze as it is only a snap on the mirror button on the windshield.
ganadrive16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 14:25   #638
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ashish Sinharoy - an ex Renault employee - shares his ordeal with us.

Quote:
My daughter (she’s a Corporate Lawyer with the Mahindra group in Mumbai) bought a Kwid AMT – tragically on my insistence – 2 years ago. Shortly after buying it, she moved to Mumbai and the car stayed back with us in Pune. I use it regularly within Pune city, ~12,000 KM in 2 years, with one trip to Bangalore & a few to Mahabaleshwar and Mumbai.

We've had serious water ingress problem during this monsoon season. 2 weeks ago, during the infamous 24 hour deluge that washed out Pune – my car was parked outside my office on Karve Road for the whole day. At around 6:30 pm, catching a break in the rain, I ran out and got into my car – started it and drove towards home. On the way, driving through the crazy rain, I heard some strange “sloshing” sounds from below the front passenger seat area. At one of the traffic signals, I switched on the cabin lights and discovered to my horror that the entire floorboard of the front passenger seat was SWIMMING in water. I then noticed the same water flooding under my feet – in the driver seat.

I crept home through the rain, parked the car in the basement parking and then inspected the car. The attached photographs I took - are proof of the amount of water that had leaked, rather poured, into the car, while it was parked in a lane. I somehow managed to use a mug to scoop out the water from inside the car. About 18 mugs of water later, it took 3 heavy cotton bedcovers to mop up the remaining water.

This morning, I had to drop my daughter off at the Railway station for her to catch a cab to Mumbai. We went through heavy rain at 4:00 am & by the time we reached Pune Station – 10km from my house – the car was again flooded on the inside.

Observing it carefully today, it is very clear to me that the water ingress was happening via some loosened seals in the area under and around the windshield. I had to follow the same drill this morning - to mop up and clean the inside of the car. Even though the water has been removed – the floor carpeting is a wet mess and will take many days to dry out. In addition to this, the flood of water inside the car leads me to doubt the safety & integrity of the Electrical circuitry now.
Renault Kwid : Official Review-ashish_kwid-amt_water-entry_01.jpg

Renault Kwid : Official Review-ashish_kwid-amt_water-entry_04.jpg

Renault Kwid : Official Review-ashish_kwid-amt_water-entry_05.jpg

Renault Kwid : Official Review-ashish_kwid-amt_water-entry_06.jpg

Renault Kwid : Official Review-ashish_kwid-amt_water-entry_08.jpg

Renault Kwid : Official Review-ashish_kwid-amt_water-entry_09.jpg
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 15:41   #639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ouch! First things to check I guess are the seals at the bottom of the windscreen. I think it is also possible that some water that flows from the windscreen into the bonnet area is falling under into the firewall section. Faulty firewall grommets and wiring causing the water to be allowed into the cabin is what I'd check also in this case.
Old 23rd October 2019, 17:14   #640
Senior - BHPian

Where is the car parked usually? My car had this issue . The car is parked in open area and the drains were blocked by leaves. After clearing drain there hasn't leakage for almost 3+ years now.
Old 23rd October 2019, 17:24   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This brings memories of my first car the M800 late nineties which had a similar problem and I got a Husqvarna vacuum cleaner to drain the water, luckily for me it doesn't pour in Chennai as it does in Pune/Mumbai. I sold it in frustration as Maruti service was unable to fix the issue. Can fully relate, right from the sloshing sound while driving to the cleaning ordeal (at least an hour) and damp musty smell after you dry out the water. It's better to get the car dry and sell it!
Old 14th January 2020, 15:39   #642
BHPian

Guys, I have seen a very disturbing video about the kwid in Youtube. Just wanted to bring everyone's attention to the matter.

For those who won't understand malayalam, I can give you a brief overview about the situation.

This Kwid from Kerala has a serious Fire issue. Car ran only 21000 Kms as per the statement of owner. One fine day, a burning smell came from the car when it was parked and started burning. The car was took to Renault ASS and the wiring kit was replaced for 11000k and rest replacements were done under insurance. Car was taken back to home after the repair. The car started burning again on the same day and was took to the ASS again. Car has self ignited similarly for a total of 5 times and the ASS guys finally gave up. The owner claims that he had to face mental difficulties from the ASS guys who claimed that the owner is himself igniting fire on purpose. The service team has disconnected the battery and car is lying idle on the owner's garage for almost an year. The owner has filed a case in consumer court and is now effectively paying the EMI for a dead car.

Please watch the video. I felt very uncomfortable and compassionate on seeing the person's difficulty and believe that more people should get to know about the issue till the person gets justice.

What do you guys think about the possible reason for fire?

Why is not the Renault capable of solving the issue?

Doesn't the guy deserve a replacement car from renault?

Last edited by albertprince : 14th January 2020 at 15:51.
Old 29th January 2020, 08:56   #643
BANNED

Renault Kwid BS6 launched at Rs 2.92 lakh

All variants of Renault’s entry-level BS6 hatchback see a price increase of Rs 9,000; the Kwid continues to be available in twelve versions. The output figures for both engines remain unchanged – the 0.8-litre three-cylinder petrol engine continues to produce 54hp and 72Nm of torque, while the larger 1.0-litre three-cylinder petrol unit makes the same 68hp and 91Nm of torque as its BS4 counterpart.

Renault Kwid : Official Review-screenshot_20200129-renault-kwid-bs6-launched-rs-2-92-lakh1.png

Link
wheelguy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 11:38   #644
BHPian

Re: Renault Kwid BS6 launched at Rs 2.92 lakh

What changed at Renault suddenly? They have been hitting balls out of the park lately.

Just 9k increase is a great move. Especially considering the hoopla about how the rise in cost after the upgrade is going to be huge and so on. Ford and now Renault have proved it to be wrong. This will prompt certain greedy makers to alter their pricing strategy.
Old 23rd September 2021, 10:40   #645
BHPian

Hi, I recently bought Kwid 2021 BS6, RXT (o) AMT, 1.0 in red for my wife. (I liked the Climber edition better, but it wasn't available in Red colour which my wife was insisted upon).

We have one strange issue with steering reversibility on a U-turn, which we have not noticed in any other 3 cars that we have (i20 Sportz 2019, C Class 2017 & Fortuner 2020).

So basically what happens is that if you steer completely for a U-turn, the steering does not fall back completely to the centre quickly, and rather we have to manually steer it a little (only little) to keep the vehicle straight after the turn is complete.

I understand that steering response is different for every vehicle, and its not a big issue, but with Kwid its noticeable. When we asked service center guys on this issue, he said Kwid steering is like this and also because the steering rack is new. The more vehicle will run, its free play will improve (whatever that means).

Apart from the above issue, we are loving the car so far.

Here are some of my findings:

1. One is the 8″ NAV system with a touch screen and support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. ABS, EBD and Dual Airbags support is a must in any car, and Kwid does not disappoint here.

2. Fully digital dash (which I am not a fan of) is again a feature found in 2-3 segments up. I like the Instant Avg feature and it gives me self-control of my driving habits.

3. The AMT transmission works as expected but it is a bit rough and you can actually hear the gears changing every now and then. I did not have any issues with climbing up on flyovers or steep surfaces.

4. Due to the 3-Cylinder configuration, at idling and start-up, there is little vibration which you get used to after a couple of rides.

5. The power delivery is gradual and lean. Overtaking is where I miss the manual gear shifting the most. There are no driving modes but the ECU self adjusts to the driving style after a couple of rides. In my case, it was after 150kms.

6. Turn on the Aircon and the power go down by 25% and the economy goes down by 40%.

7. Addition of Creep mode, retainer seat belts, quick lane change features work like a charm. ABS, EBD and Dual Airbags are all equipped.

8. Single wiper on windscreen touches the bonnet edge when turned up for cleaning. I find having just a single wiper a soar to the eye being a little OCD!

9. I am used to getting my way cleared by ongoing traffic when I am in my red Benz at roundabouts and intersections. However, in Kwid, I have to be careful as people usually do not slow down and expect me to pull brakes!

10. One major drawback is the weak Battery or alternator. The AMT version has 8 more computers, and the extra glowing DRLs with big screen NAV takes a ton of battery power.

11. On the 2nd day itself, I encountered General Warning Orange Light while driving a short distance, and then the vehicle went into limp mode. Later, the service centre guys upon full scan found that it was a voltage issue during start-up, and the computer decided to go into limp mode after a short distance due to an error in memory!!

Whatever heck that means but after they cleared the fault codes, they advised me not to run accessories or blower/lights etc without the engine-on, which I never did in the first place.

12. On the 7th day, I again had warning light and then constant Engine warning light in Orage on the dash. The service center guys did diagnostic again, and said that the floor mat is causing the issue with sensor and pedal position cohesion.

The car is running fine for 20 days now, and have had no other troubles. After a couple of days of driving, I am starting to love the compact zip and zoom ride. Parking is not an issue anymore.

Last edited by cowboy45 : 23rd September 2021 at 10:42.

Most Viewed