Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2015, 15:04   #16
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Trailblazer : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Talk about sitting ducks! This one can be the perfect example for that. Chevy was waiting, waiting and waiting for ever. I don't think there is any other manufacturer who is as confused as Chevrolet India. This is as good as not being launched, in another few months Ford Endeavour will eat this , that is if there is anything left by that time. I think Mary Barra have different priorities, so don't expect anything good to happen at GM India for sometime. Feeling sorry for the dealers, I'm surprised some are still holding on!
Very well said, yet another disaster from Chevy in terms of pricing. Look what happened to the Chevrolet Optra Magnum, Chevrolet Captiva and now the trailblazer. They would have to change their strategy to be in business. The ASS is shocking and the Resale is even more shocking. For Chevy its going to be a long way back home.
gmalik30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 15:29   #17
BHPian

t-bhp reviews are always informative, unbiased. A well written review.

Lack of 4x4 is a big miss and similarly priced to the Fortuner. Or is it part of GM strategy to feel the pulse of the market (like how duster did) and then launch a 4x4 version ? I hope not.
Old 21st October 2015, 15:34   #18
BHPian

Why does it always happen that Global cars when launched in India are either stripped down versions or 1/2 generation old?

Besides the pricing and time of the launch that Chevy have got wrong, even the features are wrong for India. They have tilted towards off road while completely ignoring safety and luxury.

India will have the new Pajero + new Fortuner + new Endeavour in the next 6-9 months. It means that Chevy is stupidly saying "Aa Bail Mujhe Maar".
Old 21st October 2015, 15:54   #19
BHPian

To me this SUV looks very old. There is nothing contemporary about the design visually, inside out both. Actually it looks very disproportionate. It is not going to be able to stand long against new Endy and Fortuner. The interiors look like the components are picked up from completely different designs.

We Indians are spoiled by Hyundai for quality of interiors and even the aesthetics right from Eon. Top this up with the parent- GM for the resale value, it will be depreciating pretty fast for that money.

Interestingly, Amazon is allowing you to book a Trailblazer online.
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 16:05   #20
BHPian

To me, it doesn't look worth anything more than 15 lacs. But yes, the CBU route explains why it priced that way. The design looks very aged and old school. The feature list is no better than a Elite i20, in fact the latter seems to have more features. The 9 lac Figo offers 6 airbags, but this 30 lac car doesn't.

Last edited by veyron_head : 21st October 2015 at 16:06.
Old 21st October 2015, 16:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well they were not kidding about the CBU imports part. 154 Trailblazers already in the country according to Zauba.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Trailblazer : Official Review-trailblazer.jpg  

avishar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 16:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
To me, it doesn't look worth anything more than 15 lacs. But yes, the CBU route explains why it priced that way. The design looks very aged and old school. The feature list is no better than a Elite i20, in fact the latter seems to have more features. The 9 lac Figo offers 6 airbags, but this 30 lac car doesn't.
We can't decide the price just based on one particular feature, such as number of airbags!

However, the exterior design looks very dated. The car seems to have landed in 2015, instead of 1995 due to some time travel machine gone wrong.
Chevy lovers please do not take offense, but I cant stop commenting this: The car has no freshness associated with a new product. Since people do not bother to follow Chevy's releases these days, if we buy this car, most likely they will mistake it to be a used car.
Fortuner, though shorter than this, looks much more classy.
Of course, I admit looks are subjective, and my reaction is only based on the photos, and I have not seen this car in flesh.

Probably colours other than silver, would have given a different opinion.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 16:36   #23
BHPian

Nice review. Fire-craker of an engine. No 4x4 MT with low range...this is big downer for me. This one is for the urban show offs and may be this the group GM is targeting.
Old 21st October 2015, 16:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the detailed review. Very well written with nice pictures.

Any idea on the mileage for this ?

Spare tyre - Alloy ? (I hope so)

Also, does the system play movies while the car is moving ?

I seriously think, instead of CBU if GM would have brought it as CKD, the price would have been very attractive.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 21st October 2015 at 16:53.
Old 21st October 2015, 17:32   #25
BHPian

Aged looks,"just" 2 airbags,only auto, no 4X4 and low FE ( relative to others in same segment) - sorry to say but don't think it's going to even be a decent hit in our market. It will end up like captiva and owners can have one thing in the end - exclusivity.
Who cares about 500 nm torque when you don't have the Compatible gearbox to use it ?
Who cares about all those departure ,approach angles,wading depth and GC when you don't get the AWD to utilise these usps?
The interiors and instruments in first row looks out of place in a 30 lakh (OTR) SUV !! Agree the T-fort sells like hot cakes with similar safety features ,bland interiors and less outright power ,but Chevy can also afford that strategy if they had a brand reputation and loyalty like that of the Toyota.
The design which looks stone aged at this point of time by many fellow bhp ians. Just imagine how it would look after new fortuner and Pajero hit our grounds with all those toned down,feminine ,curvy looks !!!
The majority of common buyers will end up again with the not-so-butch new fortuner just by seeing the " contemporary" looks and the badge. @Chevy India - be a Roman while in Rome !!if you want to make a car hit among Indians ( 25-35 lakh customers,in this case) ,give them one with the points they give weightage for and with looks which they love !!!
Old 21st October 2015, 17:38   #26
BHPian

Thankyou so much for the details. Looking like a Captiva from front, Fortuner from rear and sumo grande from side profile. It might would have made some market way back in late 2011/ early 2012. Three million rupees but still maximum of the essential luxuries missing. It might not even effect sales of current similar priced SUVs, let alone future avatars of fortuner and endeavour. Too pricey
Old 21st October 2015, 17:41   #27
BHPian

Don't worry though. GM dealers certainly aren't.

When I called the dealer and asked the Mumbai OTR price, he said it would be around 34 lakhs. When I remarked that that was more expensive than the Fortuner, he replied saying, "Sir. How can you compare Chevrolet with Toyota. Chevrolet is a much more premium brand so that's why we've launched the Trailblazer at a big premium.'' I said thanks and burst out laughing even before I put the phone down.
djpeesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 18:02   #28
BHPian

Nice Review. Thanks

I was looking forward for Trailblazer for quite some time. After the news came by of 500 nm torque, I was really drooling and dreaming about it.
But very disappointed to see that there is no MT and no 4X4.

No Thanks Chevrolet, I will keep my Tfort.

Are the rear seats slid-able?
Old 21st October 2015, 18:17   #29
BHPian

A really average looking car after all the hullabaloo about how critical this would be for GM coming back strongly in India by their management. Much ado about nothing. The amazing looking Ford and ever reliable Toyota is going to walk all over this grandpa. Sad that this will not force Toyota to relook at their pricing - as much as I hate Toyota for their pricing in India, as long as competitors dish up things like this at this type of price point, I cant fault their strategy of over pricing their products in India. Now hope Ford does a better job - they do have the product, hopefully pricing strategy follows.
Old 21st October 2015, 19:12   #30
BHPian

It retails in USA for $30-40k. With the options and features, i think it should be in the XUV W10 territory. In addition, its closely priced to the Captiva, plus, captiva got a LTZ AWD as well.

Looking at the pricing online: (GM India, carwale)

Captiva LTZ AWD 2.2 - 27.36 L

Fortuner 4x4 AT - 27.02L

Obviously Fortuner wins. I am surprised that the Trailblazer is priced Closed to Captiva that got more features (AWD) Whatever the reasons, public would not bother betting their money on a pricey GM SUV when you can get a more fuel efficient Toyota for the similar price range. They would not even understand (or not bother much) on why Trailblazer is different than a captiva.

I think Toyota taught a good strategy here. They came with a lower pricing, won the hearts of the customers and market value, started increasing the price to what they are today. Even though price increased, the T fort's are sold in good numbers, plus the resale is consistent as the feedback/general perception on the car is good - and Toyota meets the expectation/perception.

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 21st October 2015 at 19:21. Reason: missing currency

Most Viewed