Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2018, 23:05   #1996
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Best bet would be to take the demo car and try parking it. Apart from the radius you are not factoring in the width (TUV 20 cm wider than swift), which again might be an issue.
So, I finally got to take a test drive of a TUV, after having my test drive requests ignored twice before! It was a T8 100 BHP version.

I didn't need to take her for a spin on the open roads, but I still did it with much glee. However, the litmus test (for me) was when I took her into our parking lot.

Here's the deal - I first need to take a right (which is not a big deal and is not shown in the pictures below) and then immediately take a sharp left (in the picture below) where even a Swift feels tightly boxed in; the tight left turn that I mentioned is to be taken facing the blue Volkswagen Polo that stands parked in the picture:

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-flat-parking-1.jpg

Then I need to drive ahead and park in between two pillars where my uncle's grey Swift can be seen in the picture above.

The below picture is the view that greets me in the rearview mirror when I start extricating a car from our allocated parking slot. I would need to go back in reverse and wedge myself all the way between the rear fender of the White Swift (seen in the picture below) and a close pillar and then hang a tight left from there in first gear.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-flat-parking-2.jpg

The TUV was an incredibly snug fit in these confined conditions and would rattle inexperienced drivers, but I did just fine. There were but 2-3 inches to spare on either side at any given point in time. A lot of tenants watched the rather drama-less spectacle fold and unfold in close quarters. One of the tenants also told me later on that he's curious about the TUV as well. I am expecting to shortly do some networking in our apartment-complex over some TUV talk, as I'm still new here.

The Mahindra showroom's employees were also very concerned that the high roof might graze the low ceiling of our parking lot which is approximately 200 cm high at its lowest points. But I know very well that I can safely run across the parking lot at 193 cm in height and not graze my skull above - it wasn't at all a challenge for the TUV which is 180 odd centimetres in height, even with its rails and all.

Overall - I knew that the sub-4m TUV is designed for use in the city but I just had to test it out to see what's what. Full marks to it for being fit for use for me. It will go to (most) places where only a hatchback or a compact sedan would normally go, despite being something of a giant.

I am at the moment without an Aadhar as a returned NRI whose first attempt at enrolment failed for reasons unknown, and hence I cannot yet buy/register a vehicle. I am using this time to test out different options for a vehicle. My heart has always belonged to the TUV, while my head tells me to get a more practical Jazz CVT and be done with it. As a 6'4" tall person with a bad back, the driving ergonomics of the TUV fit me 100% while the Jazz would leave me somewhat hunched at the wheel, but the Jazz would score high on refinement, reliability and comfort for the family. I had taken a 20 Km test drive of the Jazz and I could feel my back acting up. But it's not an easy choice for the TUV in my mind, even with my bad back!

Let's see.

Last edited by locusjag : 14th January 2018 at 23:25. Reason: edits for better clarity
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 23:12   #1997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pious_devil View Post
From 2018 , all models will be available only in 100bhp motor. Looks like they are discontinuing 84 bhp as per the Srireesh Auto Bangalore. The price card showed 100 bhp even for T4+ variant. Its not getting reflected in website though.
This is great news as it will make it extremely price competitive to the softroaders. A body on frame 7 seater tough as nails SUV with MLD [Mahindra are doing free upgrade for those who are complaining] at a competitive price point makes it a much more desirable proposition especially in light of the condition of roads we traverse everyday even in cities.
Old 15th January 2018, 00:22   #1998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
A body on frame 7 seater tough as nails SUV with MLD [Mahindra are doing free upgrade for those who are complaining] at a competitive price point makes it a much more desirable proposition especially in light of the condition of roads we traverse everyday even in cities.
I was pondering about the bounciness of the TUV at low, typical city speeds when going over bad roads. While the high GC is indeed a boon for bad roads, what's your take on the TUV's bounciness?

In rural Minnesota, where it gets quite cold and snowy, pick up trucks are loaded with sandbags or snow just to get more downward force and thereby more traction in the ice. I was wondering if I should similarly place heavy sandbags in the TUV's 3rd row when driving solo!
Old 15th January 2018, 02:49   #1999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I was pondering about the bounciness of the TUV at low, typical city speeds when going over bad roads. While the high GC is indeed a boon for bad roads, what's your take on the TUV's bounciness?

In rural Minnesota, where it gets quite cold and snowy, pick up trucks are loaded with sandbags or snow just to get more downward force and thereby more traction in the ice. I was wondering if I should similarly place heavy sandbags in the TUV's 3rd row when driving solo!
Because of the length restriction there is not much weight on rear wheels and hence the traction issues TUV300 faces on acute inclined turns but with MLD the traction issues will not be a problem.

However i agree with you that ride quality when seated in second row can be bouncy on bumpy roads and the solution for that is indeed good old sand bags at the back . When fully loaded the ride is much more pliant.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 15th January 2018 at 02:51.
Old 15th January 2018, 10:37   #2000
BHPian

Quote:
I was pondering about the bounciness of the TUV at low, typical city speeds when going over bad roads. ... I was wondering if I should similarly place heavy sandbags in the TUV's 3rd row when driving solo!
Hi Locusjag,

Instead of placing heavy sand bags /ballasts to reduce the bounciness, there are two other alternatives:
1. ROGERAB- a suspension buffer of sorts that is fixed to the suspension springs: https://www.amazon.in/Rolling-Pitchi.../dp/B01N0HI0M9 - CAPTAINREX in our forum uses it and is quite effective in reducing the bounciness.

2. ARC Gas shock absorbers : http://www.arcindustries.co.in/single-post.php?i=11 - this has not been tested by anyone in our forum for TUV so will have to go by the company's claims.
sathyasuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 11:58   #2001
BHPian

Quote:
So, I finally got to take a test drive of a TUV, after having my test drive requests ignored twice before! It was a T8 100 BHP version.
|
|
Let's see.
Great to hear that. Let me share my experience. After booking, I suddenly noticed (read feared!) that due to height of TUV300, I might not be able to park it inside my compound. Luckily, there's few inches to spare. Was lucky there.

All said & done, the vehicle is easy to adapt. You'll get used to it, within a few 100kms. Trust me on this. That said, from personal experience, one suggestion would be to have a rear camera fitted. Sensors won't be helpful at all times. My own experience. I am pestering M&M for rear camera, which I should get done this week or next. Looking at the tight corners, I would not depend on luck at all times. (Not scaring you here though.) Just being safe, is better than repenting later on.

Side note: Rear camera fitment, requires your vehicle at MASS on a working day - as the software is flashed - remotely from their HQ. Costs ~3k.

Happy miles!
---

Ok folks, short ownership review.

Have done 7,500+ Kms on TUV300. Since October 22nd 2017. With the last 3500+ kms in the last 20days. Trust me guys, you'll have to experience what am saying. I've driven in hills, highways, state highways & in those narrow roads of TN, KL & KA ghats (you know what I mean). I've faced zero issues. At one point, my fatigue levels have gone down drastically that the usual break intervals reduced from one per hour to one per 3hrs.

When I went to Chennai from Bangalore last weekend, I had to return in 15hrs. I've driven with my brother for almost 12 hours. Breaks went down. We left at 2pm. Returned at 3am. We both went to office the next day as usual. Not much fatigue there.

One impressive thing about the vehicle is the suspension. It takes whatever comes in the way. At one point, it actually scares me. I started to give reduced importance to not-so-small potholes. Guess what? That's what this vehicle is for. TOUGH. It gave zero effects on the cabin. Parents & Wife were happy about it. (What more one could ask for?)

Gave an average of 14-15Kmpl. It was as good as a sedan / hatchback on highways.

Even in those narrow Kerala roads, especially in Idukki Dist, this vehicle was doing a fantastic job.

ABS was very helpful at a couple of places. Braking / AC were the hallmark. Audio system is very good too. Except that, am still clueless, why the touchscreen hangs often! (Hope this is sorted when the software is flashed, while I get the TUV fitted with Reverse camera.)

The fuel economy is quite good when 6ppl were travelling. (KSRTC charges 600-900 one way to Chennai. Overall, I had spent ~3k on Diesel.)

At the end of the day, once you drive TUV300 for a few 100kms, you'll get used to it. I was driving a Maruti Gypsy (2016 model) earlier. No AC, No ABS, Petrol, soft top. That's how I like it, travelling with elements. Now, complete upgrade.

QUESTION: Is it normal to see black oil spills after parking? Esp, after long drives? Not regular. I noticed this twice. Any idea? I did a basic check. No spill from engine bay / coolant. It is oil. Wondering where it is spilling from. Is anyone else facing this? Let me know. Or else, will get it checked this week & post updates.

Last edited by Eddy : 15th January 2018 at 12:35. Reason: Merged
shreedharan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 12:31   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreedharan View Post
Side note: Rear camera fitment, requires your vehicle at MASS on a working day - as the software is flashed - remotely from their HQ. Costs ~3k.
I was quoted 4500 for the camera. Any idea if the generic front parking sensors are any use? I only have roadside parking and think it will help with being close to the sidewalk without any damage, not sure though.
Old 15th January 2018, 12:38   #2003
BHPian

Quote:
So, ...

Let's see.
Don't go the Jazz/WRV route. The ergonomics are not that great for taller people. If you find TUV comfortable and fit for purpose, then its all good. Vehicle seems to have come sorted with the intial production niggles. Most of the recent feedback, including mine, is largely positive.

Thanks for a concise review Mr.Sreedharan. Its good to know that the tank is so capable.
deetee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 15:01   #2004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That said, from personal experience, one suggestion would be to have a rear camera fitted. Sensors won't be helpful at all times. My own experience. I am pestering M&M for rear camera, which I should get done this week or next. Looking at the tight corners, I would not depend on luck at all times. (Not scaring you here though.) Just being safe, is better than repenting later on.

Happy miles!
---
I have a doubt - does MASS fit rear cameras on any variant, or only on higher variants? I wonder if it's doable on the lower variants. Also, I assume that if MASS does it, the warranty stands good.
Old 15th January 2018, 15:16   #2005
BHPian

Quote:
I have a doubt - does MASS fit rear cameras on any variant, or only on higher variants? I wonder if it's doable on the lower variants. Also, I assume that if MASS does it, the warranty stands good.
YesMASS does. I think, it's available for those with LCD display. Mine is T10.
Old 15th January 2018, 19:26   #2006
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
QUESTION: Is it normal to see black oil spills after parking? Esp, after long drives? Not regular. I noticed this twice.
Good to know that you are enjoying your car. Oil spots of any kind are not normal. Do ask MASS to check the engine, transmission and gear oil nuts. Also check brake oil levels as folks have had issues with the same due - rats get into the engine bay and chew through some of the hose resulting in brake oil leakage.
Old 15th January 2018, 19:45   #2007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I was quoted 4500 for the camera. Any idea if the generic front parking sensors are any use? I only have roadside parking and think it will help with being close to the sidewalk without any damage, not sure though.
Sensors are good. But, camera is to avoid blind spots.

Quote:
Good to know that you are enjoying your car. Oil spots of any kind are not normal. Do ask MASS to check the engine, transmission and gear oil nuts. Also check brake oil levels as folks have had issues with the same due - rats get into the engine bay and chew through some of the hose resulting in brake oil leakage.
Thanks. Will get it checked.
Old 17th January 2018, 10:46   #2008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pious_devil View Post
From 2018 , all models will be available only in 100bhp motor. Looks like they are discontinuing 84 bhp as per the Srireesh Auto Bangalore. The price card showed 100 bhp even for T4+ variant. Its not getting reflected in website though.
I had called Zulaikha motors in Chennai yesterday to confirm this news. They didn't know anything about this...

But they called me back this morning to know how I got this news before they got an internal e-mail just today from Mahindra confirming the same

Anyways - thanks for the mini-scoop sir! It made my day, even if it was vicarious and a thrill of sorts that was experienced by me on your behalf.

I am really glad that all TUV versions will be 100 BHP powered.

Last edited by locusjag : 17th January 2018 at 10:47. Reason: typos...it's always typos with me!
Old 18th January 2018, 10:49   #2009
BHPian

Update: Vehicle has gone for MLD kit replacement.

(Note: Am still not getting clear picture on "post-MLD replacement issues". Getting conflicting info. Since majority didn't face any, am going for it. Taking a huge chance here.)

Reverse camera will be fitted too. Oil spill will be checked too.

Will post update on this next when I get Vehicle back - tomorrow.
Old 18th January 2018, 11:21   #2010
BHPian

Quick question, I assume it is wise to take the Shield Warranty for the two additional years offered by M&M, year 4 & 5?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks