Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2018, 10:52   #2011
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Dear members,

Need your valuable, but crisp and honest feedback on TUV 300 because I intend to book one. (*Conditions apply).

Why buying a new car?
----------------------

* Want to drive an SUV; too bored of hatchbacks and sedans
* Actual or perceived safety of driving an abuse friendly SUV
* Current Swift ZXI (in extended warranty until 2018 and 3.5 years old) might fetch a better resale value now than a year later. Trying to sell at a higher value.
* Typical usage: 60% highway cruising with around 5 people and significant luggage. Occasional city driving of around 30% to 40% in Bangalore traffic.

Top priorities
-----------------

* Safety and strong build quality
* Space
* Long term reliabilty
* Reasonable cruising and city shuttling capabilities
* Budget fixed at around 9 to 10 lakhs (absolutely no way to extend)

Considering only two options: TUV T4 plus 100 bhp to keep costs down (if available soon with 100bhp) else T8 100 bhp.

I am the only one in the family advocating for TUV's practicality and how it meets our requirements. Rest all are against it because of feedback from people who do not own one but have either test driven or heard from others about it such as wheel spinning (we have a steep incline before parking), long term reliability, and constant niggles.

Finally, questions:
---------------------

* Based on all the info above, should I buy one or look elsewhere? You guys have it and are the best to confirm.
* Does 2018 models come with the MILD installed?

Thanks!
Old 19th January 2018, 11:05   #2012
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNair View Post
Top priorities
-----------------

* Space
* Long term reliabilty

Considering only two options: TUV T4 plus 100 bhp to keep costs down (if available soon with 100bhp) else T8 100 bhp.
Considering you are big on safety, pls note that while the crash worthiness of most of our cars is nothing to talk about, there is nothing that suggests the TUV is a particularly safe car. The vehicle has not be crash tested by an independent certifying agency. The Scorpio, on which the TUV is based, has been though. It scored a big zero, and the body shell was also rated unstable.

You do get the general ruggedness, rough road ability and dinge resistance that come with any ladder frame vehicle. But apart from that, you can't say if the TUV is safer or not as safe as any other car.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 11:16   #2013
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
* Want to drive an SUV; too bored of hatchbacks and sedans
Be mentally prepared for
  • 1. Body roll in curves
    2. Lower fuel efficiency ~15 kmpl when driving sedately
    3. Bouncy ride in low speeds - if you are under 20 kmph, then bangalore potholes will throw you around. Worse for folks in the back rows
Quote:
* Actual or perceived safety of driving an abuse friendly SUV
Wont comment on this until it goes through a crash test. But in general the sheet metal and other parts are quiet sturdy and in typical B2B rear endings and small nudges, it comes out relatively unscathed
Quote:
* Typical usage: 60% highway cruising with around 5 people and significant luggage. Occasional city driving of around 30% to 40% in Bangalore traffic.
Wont the lowest S Cross be within budget and fit your needs? If not the S Cross, why not the updated Ertiga? Good space, decent engine & highway cruiser. Does not meet your SUV requirement but still should be more spacious and have higher seating.
Do make sure that you really need the space that TUV provides before you finalize the same.

Quote:
wheel spinning (we have a steep incline before parking), long term reliability, and constant niggles.
Most niggles have been sorted in the new models and wheel spin can be negated by driving it right. I have driven through some narrow steep roads with gravel/mud/broken stones and haven't really faced wheel spin. In the last 2 years, I have had wheel spin issues on a couple of occasions and both because of the angle at which I had to climb.

Quote:
Does 2018 models come with the MILD installed?
Nope. MLD is only on request after you present video proof of wheel spin.

Long term reliability - there are folks who have done 1Lac Kms and havent had any major issues apart from the usual niggles.

If I were you, I would hold on to the swift for another year as there are many new cars that are being launched this year, which might be a better fit -
ex. Mahindra's new MPV with 1.6/1.5L engine - the ertiga competitor.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 11:41   #2014
BHPian

Quote:
Dear members,

Need your valuable, ...
Top priorities
-----------------

* Space
* Long term reliabilty

Finally, questions:
---------------------

* Based on all the info above, should I buy one or look elsewhere? You guys have it and are the best to confirm.
* Does 2018 models come with the MILD installed?

Thanks!
Hi KVNair,

Being a TUV 300 T4+ owner for more than 2 years I can confirm that TUV does satisfy on all your priorities. Particularly about the Safety aspect, as you know, while it does come with market standard active and passive safety devices (such as ABS, EBD & Airbags) its crash worthiness is still untested. But when I went for the test drive the SA did say that this was the first vehicle in the market that adheres to the Bharat New Vehicle Safety Assessment Program (Indian equivalent of NCAP) guidelines, also do check this video: around the timestamp 4:30 there is a discussion on the Safety star rating.

Comparing the star ratings of Scorpio and TUV 300 might not be appropriate just because they share the same ladder chassis since crash worthiness also depends on the crumple zones in the body, strengthening around the passenger shell and also do note that Scorpio body is atleast 15 years old.

And as Procrj mentioned, do consider the niggles that crop up and do compare with S-Cross. I did compare it with S-cross but decided to go with TUV since it was the closest to a Thar (which I wanted to buy but was turned down by the rest of the people at home ) and TUV was able to climb on to our home parking lot without scraping its under body, S-cross' overhangs at the front was scraping while climbing up and down.

Last edited by sathyasuri : 19th January 2018 at 11:44. Reason: Corrected typos.
sathyasuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 21:51   #2015
BHPian

Quote:
Dear members,

Need your valuable, but crisp and honest feedback on TUV 300 because I intend to book one. (*Conditions apply).
Hello KVNair, even if it ticks all the boxes please TD along with your family. TUV was perfect fit for my requirement , but I had to drop the plan after two TDs. My family wasn't comfortable with the low speed bouncy ride (most usual scenario in Bangalore) and the body roll experience didn't leave any scope of argument for me.
Your budget is healthy enough to get mid trim vehicles. Why don't you look out for S Cross or Nexon for that matter if you are looking for a 5 seater only.

Last edited by pious_devil : 19th January 2018 at 21:52. Reason: deleted misplaced letter "t"
pious_devil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 12:12   #2016
BHPian

Thanks for the useful feedback.

Asked family to go through the comments here and took a TD. Unfortunately, people in my family are still not keen to accept TUV. Decided to defer the decision to upgrade for now and consider it after 3 to 4 months.
Old 21st January 2018, 17:57   #2017
BHPian

Went for service today, ODO stands at 50k.
Total service cost is Rs 4411.
SA told me to go for EGR valve cleaning, but I opted out as it doesn't look necessary at this stage, might go for it after 60k interval. Anybody has got it cleaned and seen some noticeable difference
Not much in the service just usual oils, filters change.
Noticed today that coolant was at the minimum level mark, got it checked, no leakage found anywhere and no conclusion on why it dropped to this mark.
I have got MLD fitted at 40k kms and after driving with it for 10k kms, there is no major issue faced. It only ups the confidence level to tackle any surface now.
dieselburner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 18:46   #2018
BHPian

Quote:
Decided to defer the decision to upgrade for now and consider it after 3 to 4 months.
Not sure about the facts, but it looks like BS4 engines especially Diesels are going to have tough time with BS6 fuel. The new fuel being less on Sulphur content is going to damage injectors (as the sulphur acts as a lubricant). There is a good discussion in a different team bhp thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-2020-a-6.html

I guess its better to wait more than 3-4 months, since in April BS6 fuel will be available in NCR and its impact would be known after few more months.

Any one with expert advice ?
pious_devil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 13:10   #2019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pious_devil View Post
Not sure about the facts, but it looks like BS4 engines especially Diesels are going to have tough time with BS6 fuel. The new fuel being less on Sulphur content is going to damage injectors (as the sulphur acts as a lubricant). There is a good discussion in a different team bhp thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-2020-a-6.html

I guess its better to wait more than 3-4 months, since in April BS6 fuel will be available in NCR and its impact would be known after few more months.

Any one with expert advice ?
Gentlemen, having gone through the above-cited BS VI thread on Tbhp and various other news articles, I am putting a 'Pause' on my imminent TUV purchase.

+1 to Pious_devil's cry for expert advice on how older diesel vehicles will fare on BS VI fuel a few years down the line. How frequently would fuel injectors need to be replaced because of the lower 10 ppm Sulfur content in BS VI fuel? I need to know how costly fuel injector repairs or replacements will be, if I buy a TUV now in 2018.

And lastly - according to an article, a BS VI compliant 1.5L diesel engine would be costlier by Rs.50,000 - Rs.60,000 apparently. So newer BS VI compliant TUV 3OOs should be that much costlier in the near future.
Source - http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle9962588.ece
Old 22nd January 2018, 17:40   #2020
BHPian

My one day driven T10 AMT being towed at the link below. I left abroad a day after the delivery and the local cats took up residence inside the engine bay. They seem to have messed up the fuel pipe and when I start the engine the diesel was pouring out from under. Vehicle has been taken to the service center and they say it will be looked into only tomorrow. Very surprising as Maruti sends mechanics and if they can fix the issue on the spot they do it. The service center in charge told me they they have one hour left in the day and unlikely to get an update today. There was no damage to electricals. The odometer read 55km.
https://imgur.com/gallery/Is79k

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th January 2018 at 09:56. Reason: typo
Old 23rd January 2018, 22:55   #2021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Gentlemen, having gone through the above-cited BS VI thread on Tbhp and various other news articles, I am putting a 'Pause' on my imminent TUV purchase.
Hi locusjag, may be you need to re-think about your "Pause" decision . Please refer to my post #82 at the below link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4344357
pious_devil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 14:05   #2022
BHPian

So got my tank's 3rd free service scheduled on last Saturday. Booked a slot on Mahindra's "With you Hamesha" aap. To my surprise, when I reached MASS they had no clue that I booked. I am pretty sure the app did not sync with their database.

Shown the lady at MASS the app booking confirmation. No complaints or issues, just regular service. Charged me 3,500. Attached the invoice,off course GST added later. The paper bill they handed me had a total amount of 3,500, on the app, the invoice shows 2,500. When checking the invoice again clearly, I was charged 1000 for engine treatment.

Odo now standing at 20,248
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-screenshot_20180124135604371_com.mymahindra.live.png  

ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 19:38   #2023
BHPian

My new car with 55km on odo had a rat bite and fuel pipe had to be changed. I got it changed today and stopped at the TVS showroom on NM road, Chennai to show them a warning light I got. While they were checking their driver had some issue and crashed my car into a parked Alto. I have damage to bumper, wind shield, fog light and the intercooler/radiator. They have promised to fix this in 10 days free of charge and have given me a temp vehicle to drive. I do not have privileges to upload pics here but the Alto was totaled.
diyguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 22:21   #2024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I have damage to bumper, wind shield, fog light and the intercooler/radiator.
Tough luck man. Hope they do a good job and get everything fixed right. I would also urge you to ask them to document this repair and ensure that this is recorded in the Mahindra system. Its quiet possible that they might do this off the record and then in the future if you have any issues with parts/warranty, you might be left high and dry.

Given the general lassitude of MASS, I really think you should get everything on email - what parts are being replaced/repaired, warranty impact and everything else that you can think of. Saying this as I remember reading on some thread that unless the customer signs on the job sheet i.e official recorded handover of car, the service center is not legally responsible for anything that happens to the car. Not tying to scare you - just ensure that you are covered as its a brand new car!
Old 24th January 2018, 22:43   #2025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Tough luck man. Hope they do a good job and get everything fixed right!
One can only hope. I told them I need to see all damaged parts, inspection report and I need to be there when they get the replacement parts and also see their requisition for the parts from warehouse or Mahindra. They have agreed and am keeping my fingers crossed.
However I got nothing in writing and only a service hand over form. I am hoping they do not cheat me. Let's see.

Last edited by diyguy : 24th January 2018 at 22:44.

Most Viewed