Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2018, 14:48   #2161
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

We're seeing a lot more TUV 300s on the roads in South Chennai gradually. My wife is a lot more satisfied with our TUV with these increasingly frequent sightings! And like diyguy mentions, at the showroom where I bought mine, there were 10 TUVs being readied for delivery alongside mine in Feb 2018.

In any case, I saw a VW Ameo horribly scraping its way across bad roads and speed bumps yesterday when I was traveling alongside it on my RE Electra. The mud-guard or something in it was just hitting the ground at every bump. The driver tried taking speed bumps at an angle and ended up irritating traffic around us...I hope he finds his peace.

I am absolutely happy for having bought my TUV. This is exactly what I wanted to avoid and I happily bounce over speed bumps and bad roads with total peace of mind.

Now, here's something I wanted to ask the kind folks here-

Unassisted Surge of Acceleration in the TUV

I don't know what else to call it! In thick traffic, without pressing the accelerator, in gears 2, 3, 4 and 5, at around 800 - 1000 RPM, my TUV just surges ahead in traffic without my pressing the accelerator. Does anyone else know what i'm talking about?

Let's say I'm in 3rd gear and traffic is slow ahead of me and we're all ambling along at slightly lesser than 20 Kmph. If I let go of the clutch and accelerator, the car keeps pulling on its own until it reaches a speed slightly higher than 20 Kmph.

I'm curious about this behavior of the car.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 15:32   #2162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I am absolutely happy for having bought my TUV. This is exactly what I wanted to avoid and I happily bounce over speed bumps and bad roads with total peace of mind.
Ditto here. Our area in Keelkattalai, Chennai has no roads for the past two months due to back to back digging by various Depts. and TUV seems to be totally comfortable under such road/road like conditions.
Quote:
Let's say I'm in 3rd gear and traffic is slow ahead of me and we're all ambling along at slightly lesser than 20 Kmph. If I let go of the clutch and accelerator, the car keeps pulling on its own until it reaches a speed slightly higher than 20 Kmph.

I'm curious about this behavior of the car.
At 20Kmph in 3rd gear the engine RPM would be close to idling (~900 rpm) then anti-stall mechanism would kick in and increase the rpm to prevent engine stalling. This is quite common in diesel cars, I have experienced it in S-cross as well. However, this tug is bit aggressive in our TUV because of the better lower rpm torque.
You can avoid it by either depressing the clutch lever, or shifting down by a gear.

Last edited by sathyasuri : 10th April 2018 at 15:35.
sathyasuri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 16:19   #2163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
Ditto here. Our area in Keelkattalai, Chennai has no roads for the past two months due to back to back digging by various Depts. and TUV seems to be totally comfortable under such road/road like conditions.
Keelkattalai, huh? I come via there so often from Selaiyur since my sis lives in Nanganallur. I'll keep this in mind, in the hope that one day we may meet!

Quote:
At 20Kmph in 3rd gear the engine RPM would be close to idling (~900 rpm) then anti-stall mechanism would kick in and increase the rpm to prevent engine stalling. This is quite common in diesel cars, I have experienced it in S-cross as well. However, this tug is bit aggressive in our TUV because of the better lower rpm torque.
You can avoid it by either depressing the clutch lever, or shifting down by a gear.
Thank you so much for that dollop of Diesel wisdom. I have seldom driven diesel cars. In petrol cars, I have only heard/felt the engine knocking when it's close to stalling.

Quick question - is it wise to drive in 3rd gear at 20 - 30 Kmph or should I downshift? How do you extract maximum fuel mileage?
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 16:26   #2164
BANNED

Quote:
TUV 300 in the top gainers! Any specific reason? Is it just the Financial year end syndrome?
This sudden surge in numbers was not observed in the last two years (March 17 & 16) though.
Below pic source: Tbhp March 18 sales analysis.....
The TUV sales jump is certainly heartening - but the real winner must be the Safari/Storme duo! A M-O-M sales jump of 255% seems to put the final seal of buyer approval on the new resurgent TML.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 16:52   #2165
BHPian

Quote:
Keelkattalai, huh? I come via there so often from Selaiyur since my sis lives in Nanganallur. I'll keep this in mind, in the hope that one day we may meet!
Sure! Do wave or flash when you see an all black TUV T4+ without any badging (actually, the "+" in T4+ peeled off so I removed the badges ) while you pass through Keelkattalai.

Quote:
Quick question - is it wise to drive in 3rd gear at 20 - 30 Kmph or should I downshift? How do you extract maximum fuel mileage?
Driving in higher gears at low speeds will lug the engine, this will strain the drive train and even the NVH levels would be high under lugging conditions. In TUV, I think the below shift pattern works smoothly for me
0-10kmph - 1st gear
10 - ~30 KMPH - 2 nd gear
30- 45 kmph - 3rd gear
45 - 55 kmph - 4th gear
> 55 kmph - 5 th gear.

From my experience most diesel cars return a decent fuel efficiency as long as we don't rev the engine too much. In TUV, I once got 17.08 kmpl (in eco mode) on a highway run by not revving beyond 2000-2250 rpm.

Last edited by sathyasuri : 10th April 2018 at 17:06. Reason: Rephrased for clarity.
sathyasuri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 16:53   #2166
BHPian

Does anyone feel that many of these recent sales may be old 2017 stock being discounted. When I went for my PDI to the yard for my T10 on Dec 30, I saw 20+ TUV there already and was wondering how so much stock was piled up and yet my T10 had to be ordered from the factory.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 20:03   #2167
BHPian

Just touched 25K on my black tank today. Overall a mixed bag of experience I say. The Hyderabad roads are very bad and the body roll on tank is not helping. I have noticed that the roll is less when the tank is fully loaded.

On a different note, has anyone upgraded their ICE to tocuchscreen?
Old 13th April 2018, 21:47   #2168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
On a different note, has anyone upgraded their ICE to tocuchscreen?
I have the oem Touchscreen in my T10. It hangs sometimes and has a few quirks but on the whole its good. I am coming from a DVD player single din setup, so the touch was a good upgrade for me.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 23:46   #2169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I have the oem Touchscreen in my T10. It hangs sometimes and has a few quirks but on the whole its good. I am coming from a DVD player single din setup, so the touch was a good upgrade for me.
Thanks for the information, but mine is T8 AMT version and I heard Mahindra has released touch screen for T8 and lower end versions of TUV. The T10 version was released just after 5 months of my purchase
Old 20th April 2018, 12:31   #2170
Distinguished - BHPian

My TUV has gone ~1400 Km so far in 2 months. Only two things bothering me right now:

1) Despite cranking the driver's seat to the maximum height with the adjustment mechanism, with my 6'4" height and disproportionately long legs, my thighs are pointed up at an angle when driving. I get very little under-thigh support. And then, my calves are also stretched when working the A-B-C pedals. I have considered fitting 2-inch risers below the seat, like the ones I queried here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4385413
If not risers, then maybe a seat modification to include extra but firm padding.

2) The coolant level has gone down definitely by an inch in 2 months and 1400 Km. Wondering if I should call the MASS ASAP and get it fixed before my family takes a couple of planned long trips in it. I couldn't spot any leaking coolant underneath the car, but it's got to be leaking somehow.
Old 20th April 2018, 14:45   #2171
BHPian

Quote:
My TUV has gone ~1400 Km so far in 2 months. Only two things bothering me right now:

2) The coolant level has gone down definitely by an inch in 2 months and 1400 Km. Wondering if I should call the MASS ASAP and get it fixed before my family takes a couple of planned long trips in it. I couldn't spot any leaking coolant underneath the car, but it's got to be leaking somehow.
I had the exact same problem. We did a thorough investigation, I myself spent time in the workshop. There was no leakage anywhere. After topping up the coolant twice, it settled down and now it is stable. Don't know, it seems that initially the coolant gets absorbed in all the pipeline and hence it drops. It stabilizes then. That's what was told to me.
ambujlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 15:45   #2172
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information, but mine is T8 AMT version and I heard Mahindra has released touch screen for T8 and lower end versions of TUV. The T10 version was released just after 5 months of my purchase
Hi, Ramnaresh, I saw the touch screen from Mahindra for T8 and lower versions, it is basically a MapMyIndia AV unit rebranded as Mahindra. IMHO, third party installation like the one in the bottom picture from a good accessories store would be better VFM.

Quote:
The coolant level has gone down definitely by an inch in 2 months and 1400 Km. Wondering if I should call the MASS ASAP and get it fixed before my family takes a couple of planned long trips in it. I couldn't spot any leaking coolant underneath the car, but it's got to be leaking somehow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
I had the exact same problem. We did a thorough investigation, I myself spent time in the workshop. There was no leakage anywhere. After topping up the coolant twice, it settled down and now it is stable. Don't know, it seems that initially the coolant gets absorbed in all the pipeline and hence it drops. It stabilizes then. That's what was told to me.
Hi Locusjag, Ambujlal is right, I had a similar observation with respect to the coolant level in my TUV but, it never went below the minimum level so I never topped up and even did couple of 1000+KM trips. In the subsequent service I enquired about it with the SA and he said it is normal as some coolant remains in the cooling system's plumbing.
If in your case, the level goes below the minimum level or if you spot an increase in the coolant temp in the dashboard MID take it to the service centre for repair and stock a litre of the coolant in the car for the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dscn11.jpg  

sathyasuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 16:09   #2173
BHPian

Does this pioneer also read from the cars notification and alerts system? Will it display service alerts etc?
Old 20th April 2018, 16:25   #2174
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, Ramnaresh, I saw the touch screen from Mahindra for T8 and lower versions, it is basically a MapMyIndia AV unit rebranded as Mahindra. IMHO, third party installation like the one in the bottom picture from a good accessories store would be better VFM.
Thank you Sathyasuri, can I know the model number and price of this? Also is the frame included in it or is it aftermarket?

On a different note, my Insurance is about to expire this month. I got quotation from Bharathi AXA of 27k. 11 lacs IDV value, zero dip, road side assistance and cash less claim. I made a claim last year so no NCB

Is it any good? I was searching on policy bazaar for better quotation but most of them do not have road side assistance and cash less claim.
Old 20th April 2018, 17:13   #2175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Does this pioneer also read from the cars notification and alerts system? Will it display service alerts etc?
I dont think so, reading content from car's ECU will not be possible. However, this was integrated with the steering wheel controls.

Quote:
Thank you Sathyasuri, can I know the model number and price of this? Also is the frame included in it or is it aftermarket?

I was basically looking for HUs with Android Auto and hence have shortlisted these two models: PIONEER AVH-Z5090BT & Sony XAV-AX100.
The frame is a Mahindra Genuine Accessory. Please check this youtube video for the part numbers.
sathyasuri is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks