Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2018, 20:54   #2371
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
@Autoindian - how are your tires holding up?
My tyres still look good. They have sufficient tread depth for the next 25K kms (or even further). My only worry is with age rubber tends to get hard and loose the grip. I may plan to change the tyres one year down the line or even further. Have been pretty satisfied with the OEM Apollo Apterras and only one puncture in the last 43k kms (touchwood).
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 08:56   #2372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
My only worry is with age rubber tends to get hard and loose the grip
Ditto. Even after 51k kms the Apterras look good for another 10k kms but the ride quality has changed. Its not as smooth as before and even medium sized bumps are felt. I will most probably change in Dec/Jan to Conti Cross Contact AT 215/75/R15.

Last edited by procrj : 10th November 2018 at 08:59.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 09:42   #2373
BHPian

I went to purchase a Michelin Latitude Cross as my TUV spare that had been stolen two months back. The dealer didn't have it in stock and arranged it for me. When I went to get it fitted, realized he is palming off a 2013 manufactured Tyre on me. It's date was 2813. I was shocked how anyone could do such a thing. Realized, no one could care less for the consumer and we need to be vigilant in everything we do. There are no scruples anymore or they are very difficult to come by.
diyguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 10:13   #2374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post

I see a lot of new owners - 2017 mid onwards have been reporting F.Es upwards of 16 kmpl during their trips and that is probably because M&M did some major changes to the fueling system

Am one of them (end 2017 mfd ). M&M did change a lot of things that mattered, fueling system may be one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I am getting a mileage of slightly over 10kmpl per fuelio stats. We run with ac always turned on and usually at two or three. Mine is the T10 AMT model.

FE improves significantly post 2nd service (past about 12-13000km). That and I think your stationary idling with A/C is reason for low FE figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Well, I'd be surprised if you're getting 10 Kmpl even on the highway. I've gotten ~ 18 Kmpl, Mr.Deetee I believe got nearly 20 Kmpl on the highway recently.
In city traffic, with AC always on, I get 13 to 14 kmpl. Mine is a January 2018 manufactured one.

If it is purely highway drive with lot of fifth gear run between 80-90kph, ac always on but on eco mode, FE ~20kmpl is easy peasy. I think it can give more than that too.
In city I usually get the same as you 13-14 kmpl. But all these, I was getting post second service only. Good that you are managing these figures even much before second service.

Quote:
I went to purchase a Michelin Latitude Cross as my TUV spare that had been stolen two months back.
You didn't mention whether you bought it or not. If you didn't , may I ask if you considered getting the same make and spec as the other 4 active tyres. Mixing different makes on drive wheels/ steering wheels can give weird results if those two doesn't get along well.

I was considering getting an OEM alloy rim for the spare wheel as well. The same design as other wheels. The reason being that, during wheel rotation, I couldn't use the spare as it is a steel rim.

If I leave things as is, after about 50k kms, I will have to change 4 tyres but the spare will be mostly left unused . But it will also be hardened due to lack of use. Which means, I can not mix it with new batch of tyres for extended use. So, I inquired with M&M spares division and got a quote of Rs.10k for TUV300 stock alloy. Am thinking it is overpriced, 10k for a single 15" alloy rim??

Can anyone please advise if the stock alloy wheel rim can be procured outside in open market (with the expectation that price will be reasonable).
deetee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 10:23   #2375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
You didn't mention whether you bought it or not. If you didn't , may I ask if you considered getting the same make and spec as the other 4 active tyres. Mixing different makes on drive wheels/ steering wheels can give weird results if those two doesn't get along well.
I did not buy it. The dealer had given me a Yokohama as a precaution for my recent drive to Mysore and told me he will swap it with a Michelin when I return. I am particular about the Michelin as I get a discount through an employee referral and also will change to Michelins going forward. I generally do not rotate the spare, never done it on my other two cars either.
BTW, You can scout around the Tyre shops to see if anyone swapped the stock alloys for more fancy ones. You may get your stock alloy there.

Last edited by diyguy : 10th November 2018 at 10:25.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 10:28   #2376
BHPian

Quote:
I did not buy it. The dealer had given me a Yokohama as a precaution for my recent drive to Mysore and told me he will swap it with a Michelin when I return. I am particular about the Michelin as I get a discount through an employee referral and also will change to Michelins going forward. I generally do not rotate the spare, never done it on my other two cars either.
BTW, You can scout around the Tyre shops to see if anyone swapped the stock alloys for more fancy ones. You may get your stock alloy there.

All good if you are going to change all tyres to same make and spec. How much is the quote for Michelin?

That idea of looking around in local tyres shops is a good idea. But I wonder if they would sell just one rim out of the set of 4.
Old 11th November 2018, 13:41   #2377
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I went to India Garage, ITPL for replacing my front passenger seat belt. Technician replaced it in the parking area only and I was present during replacement. I was surprised to see airbag sensor with the seat belt retractor. Same sensor is present on driver's seat belt retractor. Earlier I thought the sensor is on driver's buckle only. Now question is if there is no passenger or passenger not wearing seat belt on the front passenger seat, whether passenger airbag will deploy or not?

I also saw a tank with damaged bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20181110_095805.jpg  

airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 10:21   #2378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Yesterday I went to India Garage, ITPL for replacing my front passenger seat belt. Technician replaced it in the parking area only and I was present during replacement. I was surprised to see airbag sensor with the seat belt retractor. Same sensor is present on driver's seat belt retractor. Earlier I thought the sensor is on driver's buckle only. Now question is if there is no passenger or passenger not wearing seat belt on the front passenger seat, whether passenger airbag will deploy or not?
In my erstwhile Nissan Rogue that I used to own in the US, the seat belts were actuated by passenger weight on the seats. So whenever i would place somewhat heavy groceries on the front passenger seat, the dashboard would pointedly inform me that the airbags are off for that seat. The same would happen when my lightweight and under-age nephew would sit there when the car was parked. (Thus it makes lot of sense for young ones to be seated at the back, in an appropriate car-seat.)

Basically, there was a weight-threshold beyond which the airbag would be primed to work.

In the TUV, I don't see such a behavior of the airbags. So i surmise that the 2 airbags are primed only when seat-belts are worn.

Quote:
I also saw a tank with damaged bumper.
It takes a serious hit to cause that extent of damage to a TUV 300 - I can tell you that. I don't know if I mentioned on this thread earlier - I (shamefully) bashed up the rear-end of an autorickshaw this year. The auto suffered a caved in backside. My Tank suffered only scratches and a bumper clip had fallen off. Otherwise, zero damage. And I don't have a bumper-guard on it.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 11:31   #2379
BHPian

Yesterday, had faced this incident. While driving back from Chennai on highway towards Bangalore, there is a flyover just after Vellore City. The ends of the flyover had the road slightly lower than the flyover. So, literally, the vehicle was "on air" for a fraction of a second. Was at speeds of 95-100kmph. Immediate reflex action was to put foot on brake pedal. I did so too. Just to realize that the brake pedal had become hard and not easy as it used to be. My hunch, ABS got activated. It became normal after a few meters of travel - in a few seconds. Does anyone else have a proper explanation to this? Kindly educate me about this.
Old 12th November 2018, 11:54   #2380
BHPian

It has been over two years of ownership. The Tank has completed 30,000 kms and is due for periodic service. Thankfully, the ownership experience has been fuss free till date with no major issues to report. Maintenance cost has been reasonable apart from the fact that a round trip to the nearest competent service center is 250 kms approx.

Tuffey has taken us places! With ease and confidence. We have covered parts of West Bengal, Sikkim, Assam, Meghalaya, Odisha, Jharkhand, Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Himachal, Jammu & Kashmir. I have managed to document some of our trips which can be found in the below links:

1. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ha-andhra.html (Down south for a change - Glimpses of Odisha and Andhra)

2. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-here-now.html (Mystical Sikkim - Utopia here, now!)

3. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...a-sojourn.html (TUV300 - The Meghalaya Sojourn)

4. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...n-episode.html (TUV3OO - The Kumaon Episode)

5. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-frontier.html (TUV3OO-Ladakh: The Final Frontier)

I got the RSA and Shield Warranty activated as a free gift at the time of purchase. I have also replaced the stock speakers with some entry level components. Apart from swapping the speakers and installing a dashcam, no major accessories have been added. I have installed the OE marker lamp shroud and spoiler. While the shroud makes the Tank look tougher the spoiler does mask the sub 4m profile from some angles.

The small diesel engine keeps me happy. But we have always had slow cars in our garage. Maybe, that is the reason I feel at home. Otherwise, by current standards the top end is very dull. However, you can still have your little thrills occasionally. Not recommended though.

Maybe, by sheer luck, I have not yet found myself stuck owing to the now infamous wheel spin issue. It does exist though. I drove a brand new Scorpio in Nainital and it had the same. I did not opt for the MLD replacement Mahindra was offering.

After having rather ordinary and often forgettable experiences at local authorised service centers in Kolkata, I have finally found sanctum at Star India Agencies, Kharagpur. Their facility is good and the staff are knowledgeable and effective. Makes the long trip to the service center and incidental expenses totally worth it.

There is a pan India Whatsapp group of TUV owners. The group is very active and informative. Help is always at hand.

Tuffey is not our daily drive. Usage is restricted to pleasure trips mostly. Cringer, our 2014 Ford Figo TDCi runs the daily chores without breaking sweat.

Some over-enthusiastically post processed pics of Tuffey in Ladakh :

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-1.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-2.jpeg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-3.jpeg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-4.jpeg

Last edited by mi2n : 12th November 2018 at 12:14.
mi2n is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 13:09   #2381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Tuffey has taken us places! With ease and confidence. We have covered parts of West Bengal, Sikkim, Assam, Meghalaya, Odisha, Jharkhand, Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Himachal, Jammu & Kashmir.
To me, this alone sums up the ownership experience. Congratulations for using the Tank aptly and having a fuss free ownership experience.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 13:21   #2382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
It has been over two years of ownership.
Congratulations for fuss free ownership. But, I see there are two different colours for the car in 2-3 pictures that you have posted. While Picture 1 and 2 shows dark brown, 3rd picture shows Red.

The number plates have the same numbers although

Am I missing something here ? Or is it the same color but I am seeing it in different shades of light ?
Old 12th November 2018, 15:08   #2383
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Congratulations for fuss free ownership. But, I see there are two different colours for the car in 2-3 pictures that you have posted. While Picture 1 and 2 shows dark brown, 3rd picture shows Red.

The number plates have the same numbers although

Am I missing something here ? Or is it the same color but I am seeing it in different shades of light ?
Please find the clue below, taken from the first pic in his comment.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-tuv.jpg
Old 13th November 2018, 10:32   #2384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreedharan View Post
So, literally, the vehicle was "on air" for a fraction of a second. Was at speeds of 95-100kmph. Immediate reflex action was to put foot on brake pedal. I did so too. Just to realize that the brake pedal had become hard and not easy as it used to be. My hunch, ABS got activated. It became normal after a few meters of travel - in a few seconds. Does anyone else have a proper explanation to this? Kindly educate me about this.
I also face one situation where my brake pedal felt hard to press. But that was a routine braking situation on proper tarmac, with no sand or anything on that surface. I haven't faced that problem again.
Old 13th November 2018, 10:44   #2385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I also face one situation where my brake pedal felt hard to press. But that was a routine braking situation on proper tarmac, with no sand or anything on that surface. I haven't faced that problem again.
Thanks Locusjag for revert. Question is, is it something to worry about?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks