Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2015, 14:18   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Hello Friends, on the occasion of "Balipratipada" or "Diwali Padwa" today, there was another round of pooja for the car. Then I took the whole family for a spin in the car and visited the nearby temple. We took the "Dev Darshan" and I had the opportunity to click some more snaps with the temple in the background. Sharing a few pictures.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151112_114903.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151112_114914.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151112_114927.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151112_114939.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151112_114948.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151112_114955.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
AutoIndian, did you try using the AC in the eco mode? It reduces the cooling considerably, but even in the ECO mode, it does get chilly at times, especially early in the mornings and during the rains.
I, too, am experiencing the blower fluctuation with the throttle. Will check that out on the next visit to the MASS. Otherwise we gotta live with it. At position '1' it is barely detectable and audible, but once the fan speed is increased, it becomes prominent.
I drove the car on the "Eco" mode only for a short duration. I didn't worry much about the AC, but the muted throttle response was worrisome. When in traffic I would never ever switch on the Eco mode. It makes sense when you are driving in a very relaxed, leisurely manner and there is no traffic around. Mahindra has surely given a chiller of an AC. This was necessary as there are no rear AC vents for such a huge cabin. My family folks who were sitting on middle row could feel the chilled air flow even on speed "1".

Last edited by AutoIndian : 12th November 2015 at 14:38.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 14:33   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
19th Nov is the day I book Captain. Apparently that is when the stars mars and everything else is where is should be.
Logically this makes sense and I am inclined to agree with the point made. As Mahindra, I would not introduce the 4x4 variant till the interest in the car declines. No.I dont plan to drive in terrain where there is a need for a 4x4.

Will this impact insurance as well? Asking this because Autoindian had mentioned that bull bars transfer load directly to the chassis and cause damage. In that case, will insurance cover the cost of damage? And if they dont, then irrespective of how light the bull bar, you are giving insurers a loop hole by installing the same.
I don't think insurance will be of any issue because Mahindra has themselves included guards in their official accessories list. Moreover you can also include the guards in the insurance premium under Non-Electrical Accessories.
nishant kar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 20:57   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Good to know that. Waiting for your ownership thread and your experience on how you tackled your fear of driving & ended up driving a Tank on Indian roads. Should be a good read for my better half who also fears driving a four.
I'll be posting that soon. I hope it will be motivating for other women folks to overcome their fear of driving too

Quote:
Originally Posted by injun269 View Post
Spot on Titanium with that comment. Having booked the TUV I had to give up my XYLO, (it was one of the first ones) that I have been driving for the past 5 years. Beautiful vehicle, not a single hiccup - not one - in the over 1 lakh kms done on her. Never been to a garage except for the routine scheduled servicing and only at that time getting any of the minor complaints looked into. Served me well. Have sold it and will hand over the keys on the 20th - that was the condition of the sale. Its going to be a sad day, I guess. Can understand what you are saying, Titanium. Anticipation of the TUV is making up for that feeling.
I can understand how you feel about your Xylo. It might sound weird, but I was tearful when I saw my Chevrolet Beat going with it's new owner. I have travelled long distances with her. Visited many places in southern part of India, Rameshwaram, Srisailam, Kollam, Cochin, Nashik, Goa, Pune etc etc. The list goes on. But she never gave up on me. She had covered 46,500 Kms in 3 years. I'll always cherish her. I am sure your Xylo will be safe and fine with it's new owner. Hope you get your TUV300 very soon and you begin a new journey with the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyu View Post
Thank you, Titanium. I had seen a red TUV parked outside the temple at Murudeshwar on Sunday but I don't think it had your number plate. However, I wasn't sure and so thought I'll confirm. BTW, that is a beautiful picture of the tank with the sunset in the background. Looks good enough to be on M&M's brochure.
That is a good coincidence, but I was at Murudeshwar on Tuesday with my family. I drove in the morning and was back by night. Thanks for the compliment. The credit goes to my brother as he clicked the picture. Congratulations on your new XUV500. Your Battle Cat looks awesome. He is ready to rule the jungle

Quote:
Congrats and welcome Titanium. Congrats for the TUV/Jeep and welcome to TBHP.
And what better way than to start on TBHP with the first post being that of the new TUV.
What struck me when I saw TITANIUM was, 'what is FORD doing here on the TUV thread. Must be an EcoSport owner'.
TUV in red looks good. Seem that RED is the color preferred by the ladies. My wife, too, insisted on red, but when it comes to matters on automobiles, I get to say the final word - ORANGE or BLACK. And on the remaining matters too, I get to say the final word which normally is - "Okay, I agree. We ll do it that way"

Thanx Titanium, and I believe you too would not regret your choice. Happy Miles and Motoring. Nice photos with Murudeshwar as the back drop. We go there once in a year and normally stay at the same place RNS Residency, always asking them for a sea facing room. I love that place. But nowadays it is becoming too crowded for comfort.
Thanks Captain Rex. You've done a great job with the ownership review, 'A tank to tame the road'.
I acknowledge that Titanium is Ford Ecosport's top end variant. But the reason I chose the name is because 'titanium' is a strong metal of high tensile strength. When my husband passed away due to heart attack four years back, my entire world came crumbling down. He was my best friend and I always considered myself as one of the luckiest woman in the world to have him as my soulmate. Titanium refers to my journey after his death, the mental trauma that I have gone through of losing him, the hurdles that I have faced. I have conquered fear, anxiety, and overcome grief.
TUV300 stands for the same too, Tough to the Core !! It is a coincidence that the tank was launched on my husband's 4th death anniversary, September 10th. It is also a coincidence that it resembles Jeep Cherokee which was the car that he owned. A sign from the Universe.

There is a saying which goes ' When the disciple is ready, the master appears'. This implies to me with the entry of TUV300 in my life. I am prepared to drive a tank !
My son was adamant in choosing the colour red. I was dangling between silver and red. He is 10 years old but he is my Boss. I am glad to know that you visit Murudeshwar too. That place is divine. Here is a picture of my late husband's Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-image.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th November 2015 at 21:36. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post.
Titanium is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 21:05   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Door opens wide enough, but the edgy styling is an ergonomic disaster. The tip of the door (top right) can hit your face easily if you don't watch out:

Couldn't but help notice the similarity in the rearward slating A Pillar in both these cars, with TUV having the slant for even the B Pillar. Do Yeti owners face this ergonomics issue arising from design?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-tuvyeti.jpg  

GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 12:24   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Drive safe and keep us posted on your adventures with the tank
Quote:
Originally Posted by narenteam View Post
Please share your opinion and the driving experience for the benefit of the rest of the readers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arindam_Nayek View Post
I know its very early to ask but curious to know if anyone has done long highway trips in the vehicle. Please share your experiences.
It has been a week since the delivery of the tank and it has covered 600 Kms. I might post a detailed ownership review if time permits. But here are some quick observations. This is solely a female driver/ owner's opinion of the tank.
  • Road grip on highways, inside the city and rural roads is amazing. The tank is stable and displays it's real genes. I am impressed. But on patchy roads at high speed, it does get a little bouncy. I generally don't drive beyond 100 kmph on national highways, the reason being our roads are not very safe enough. I see dogs and cows merrily crossing the roads. Even if I drive between 100 -130 kmph, it would be just for a few minutes.
  • Overtaking on highway is a breeze with the tank. Every time I shift gears, the tank easily picks up speed with no effort. I am flabbergasted.
  • Driving up a slope is comfortable too. The tank doesn't slip back when you stop and move on a slope. I used to switch off the AC every time I drove on a slope in my previous car. I don't have to do that now with TUV.
  • Cabin insulation, NVH level is good. But beyond the speed of 90kmph at 5th gear, there is a light howling/ humming sound.
  • I got a fuel efficiency of 16 kmpl on national highway and 12 kmpl inside the city with AC switched on all the time.
  • The steering wheel is smooth and comfortable but it does become a little tight and hard while taking reverse, not an issue though.
  • The gear lever gets notchy while shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear sometimes. Otherwise shifting gear is very smooth.
  • The width of the vehicle poses a problem in narrow lanes and while parking at tight spots.
  • The spare wheel mounted in the rear obstructs view while taking reverse. I'll be installing a rear view camera in future to make reverse parking easier.
  • The infotainment system is not very user friendly. A touch screen would have made it simpler.
  • Music system is mediocre. Speakers sound quality is very disappointing. I'll be changing to a different system down the line.
  • I really wish the power window switches were placed on the door panels, but I'll get used to it's location.
  • The windshield glass is humongous and makes it easier to judge and drive. Even the window glass panes are large enough and joining cross roads becomes easy.
  • Cooling inside the cabin is good. I was actually worried that the absence of rear ac vents would be disastrous in the hot and humid tropical weather. Fortunately, even the third row seat occupants didn't complain about the cooling.
  • Blower sound when positioned at 3 and above is a little annoying.
  • The driver seat's ergonomics is the best on T8 variant. The arm rest is a great advantage when you travel long distance.
  • The second row seats have poor inclination, but that hasn't been a deal braker for my family. Legroom and headroom is great and three adults can sit comfortably in the second row. My parents just love the space.
  • The third row seats are not comfortable for adults. There is no thigh support and legroom. But for short distances it is a big boon. However, I wouldn't advice kids below 10 to use those seats as a safety precaution. Although my son and my nephews love those seats the most.
  • Please keep the child lock in locked position if your kids are travelling in the third row. It is really very very important. Safety comes first !!
  • Fit and finish of the tank is satisfactory. Also, I honestly don't like the huge gap above the tyre. Doesn't look good.
  • I have to double check with the fuel attendant if he has attached the fuel cap back every time at the gas station.This is one major blunder. Will have to find a permanent solution for this.
My son loves the tank and he keeps thanking me for buying it every time I drive.

To sum up, I would say that the TUV300 is a great combination of style, performance, space, safety and drivability at a price which will not make you regret your choice.
Hope these details will be of help to those who wish to make a quick decision in buying the vehicle. But I would strongly advice you to test drive the vehicle 2-3 times to form a better opinion. Because every individual's preference differ.
Titanium is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 14:18   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
It has been a week since the delivery of the tank and it has covered 600 Kms. I might post a detailed ownership review if time permits. But here are some quick observations. This is solely a female driver/ owner.
Thanks for pointing out the experience with your tank. I am following pretty much everything written by the owners. Yes Mahindra vehicles have that charm to amuse everyone. Wish to see a detailed ownership report soon from you and the other owners too.
On the reverse cam, Mahindra should have provided that in first place. it is essential these days specially if you are in crowded cities with cramped parking slots.
Arindam_Nayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 16:45   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
observations
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant kar View Post
insurance
Can both of you share details of insurance premium and a quick summary of whats included? (does it include zero dep & what is the IDV)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
details
Quote:
details
I remember you mentioning a premium of 35K including Zero dep. Which company and what is the IDV qoted?

I have been getting premiums ranging from 21K - 26K including Zero dep at an IDV of 95% of Ex showroom. Want to ensure that I am not missing something by paying lower insurance.
Old 13th November 2015, 16:55   #233
BHPian

Quote:
I have been getting premiums ranging from 21K - 26K including Zero dep at an IDV of 95% of Ex showroom. Want to ensure that I am not missing something by paying lower insurance.
RJ,

I think you are getting a better deal than most here for a zero dep cover. 95% IDV is pretty much what companies will offer you. The only other major things that I can think of are the roadside assistance (which is actually covered by Mahindra themselves and by zero dep covers from companies like Future Generali), No Claim Bonus (NCB) protection, Return to Invoice cover, Engine Protector for reasons other than theft or malfunction. All of these together can take your total to 35K but I doubt if folks here have all gone for these add-on options.

Last edited by achyu : 13th November 2015 at 16:57.
achyu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 20:58   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Can both of you share details of insurance premium and a quick summary of whats included? (does it include zero dep & what is the IDV)
I remember you mentioning a premium of 35K including Zero dep. Which company and what is the IDV qoted?

I have got the insurance at Rs. 21000/- for IDV of 820000 (approx) it covers Comprehensive with Zero dep, Consumables, and RSA.

Has the dealership given you a go ahead for own insurance.

Last edited by nishant kar : 13th November 2015 at 21:01. Reason: additional info
Old 13th November 2015, 21:00   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arindam_Nayek View Post
Thanks for pointing out the experience with your tank. I am following pretty much everything written by the owners. Yes Mahindra vehicles have that charm to amuse everyone. Wish to see a detailed ownership report soon from you and the other owners too.
On the reverse cam, Mahindra should have provided that in first place. it is essential these days specially if you are in crowded cities with cramped parking slots.
Thank you for reading my observations/views, Arindam_nayek. I appreciate your time. It will be an honour to post a detailed ownership report on Team-BHP. I hope time will permit me to do that. I truly respect the team of Team-BHP and it's moderators for effortlessly working on this website to give car lovers like us, an opportunity to express and share our views.
I agree with you that Mahindra should have provided reverse camera with the TUV at least in the T8 variant. It would have made parking simpler

Quote:
Procrj, I paid an insurance premium of Rs. 22893. It is a comprehensive insurance policy not zero dep. The IDV is Rs. 8,20,639. Details of total amount that I paid for the vehicle is enclosed below.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-image.jpg  

Titanium is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 21:02   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I drove the car on the "Eco" mode only for a short duration. I didn't worry much about the AC, but the muted throttle response was worrisome. When in traffic I would never ever switch on the Eco mode. It makes sense when you are driving in a very relaxed, leisurely manner and there is no traffic around. Mahindra has surely given a chiller of an AC. This was necessary as there are no rear AC vents for such a huge cabin. My family folks who were sitting on middle row could feel the chilled air flow even on speed "1".
Nice pictures AutoIndian. I actually meant using the ECO button for the AC not the engine ECO mode. It reduces the cooling by reducing the number of compressor starts/stops. I, too don't use the engine in the ECO mode. The TUV does not move at all.

Quote:
I don't think insurance will be of any issue because Mahindra has themselves included guards in their official accessories list. Moreover you can also include the guards in the insurance premium under Non-Electrical Accessories.
Nishant, although the front guard is in their official accessory list, they have mentioned that it is not advisable to fit it on TUVs with the airbags/SRS. I saw this mentioned somewhere in their brochure, can not say exactly where.

Quote:

RJ, the basic premium was something close to Rs 25000/- then took an additional 'depreciation waiver' for Rs 5000 plus, then something for additional accidental coverage of Rs 200000/ for the passengers. All this, and the taxes added up to Rs 36000/ plus. IDV of Rs 822987 was 95% of showroom price.
If you try getting one online, without all these additions, you could manage a coverage for less than Rs 20000/ as premium.

Last edited by CAPTAIN REX : 13th November 2015 at 21:05. Reason: To include the IDV
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 21:16   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have got the insurance at Rs. 21000/- for IDV of 820000 (approx) it covers Comprehensive with Zero dep, Consumables, and RSA.
Do share the name of the company. Bajaj has shared a 26K quote for Zero dep + Engine protection + RSA.
Quote:
Has the dealership given you a go ahead for own insurance.
Yes
Quote:
If you try getting one online, without all these additions, you could manage a coverage for less than Rs 20000/ as premium.
Thanks Captain
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 21:21   #238
BHPian

One very useful feature i found with the Infotainment system.
Connect your phone with system and if you have a music app installed (like gaana, wynk etc) you can control the tracks through steering mounted controls and stream to car system.

Quote:
Do share the name of the company. Bajaj has shared a 26K quote for Zero dep + Engine protection + RSA.
Yes
Thanks Captain
i got mine from Bajaj Allianz. Would suggest you go for the consumables instead of engine protection - Engine protection primarily is useful for water damage but in SUV we seldom get this issue.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th November 2015 at 18:41. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 14th November 2015, 12:11   #239
BHPian

First time took my AMT over 100kmph and transmission went kaput. I was at 110kmph and felt sudden loss of power. The clutch was disengaged and the AMT stopped responding to deceleration. I switched to manual and parked it at the side.

The symptoms I see right now are that auto mode stops working in few 100 mtrs and engine check lamp comes on. Seems to be working fine in manual mode.

Right now waiting roadside for the vehicle to be towed. :-/
silverknight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2015, 12:48   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
First time took my AMT over 100kmph and transmission went kaput. I was at 110kmph and felt sudden loss of power. The clutch was disengaged and the AMT stopped responding to deceleration. I switched to manual and parked it at the side.

The symptoms I see right now are that auto mode stops working in few 100 mtrs and engine check lamp comes on. Seems to be working fine in manual mode.

Right now waiting roadside for the vehicle to be towed. :-/
Hey Girish, very sorry to know about the issue. From the couple of minutes that I could talk to you over phone, I understand that from the high speed (110 kmph) when you tried to brake, the AMT should have downshifted, but that did not happen and it stayed on 5th gear, which lugged the engine and eventually it died. As I understand right now the towing vehicle is taking time to reach and you have started driving slowly towards your home. Hope you can reach your home safely and M&M addresses this issue with topmost priority. Keep us posted once you reach back home safely.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks