Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2019, 10:06   #2431
BHPian

Thanks, checked the thread and the discussion is on oil's which is informative. However my query was on the use of a flush of my choice prior to the ASS using the oil of their choice. I will check with them prior to taking my car there.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 17:15   #2432
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Sometimes I am losing power in A2 to A3 shift on my AMT. After losing power, I am trying aggressive acceleration to generate some momentum, and then sudden power gain is happening with a heavy jerk. Anyone facing similar issue? Any idea what the root cause might be?
Old 7th March 2019, 08:15   #2433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Sometimes I am losing power in A2 to A3 shift on my AMT. After losing power, I am trying aggressive acceleration to generate some momentum, and then sudden power gain is happening with a heavy jerk. Anyone facing similar issue? Any idea what the root cause might be?
Me too been having this problem. I get this problem when moving from stop too sometimes. Get a nasty jerk and in bumper to bumper traffic this can be dangerous. However I had the firmware update done last year and post that these incidents are not very frequent. I have also changed my driving style to more sedate and often grit my teeth waiting for the Car to move from stop, I do not floor the gas pedal but depress it gradually. I also keep an eye on the rpm and try to keep it between 1000-1500 to start moving. The jerk I have noticed if I have floored the pedal with the intention to speed up but suddenly have to brake or slow down due to traffic. I think the gear change module gets confused and this causes the jerks. Have your service center apply the firmware update for this jerkiness.
Also to recap my car was crashed by the ASS when the demo driver was checking the AMT warning light when my car was brand new. I believe it was due to this jerkiness and sudden revving of the engine.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 13:40   #2434
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra seems to be fitting newer suspension kits for TUV 300 owners now, on request. MLDs are costlier and they've stopped fitting those. The newer suspension kit seems to allow for better rear wheel articulation.

Meanwhile, I'm still itching to find out if my hypothesis is true - TUV 300s manufactured after Jan 2018 do not have the wheelspin issue, even in their stock setup.
locusjag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 16:10   #2435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Mahindra seems to be fitting newer suspension kits for TUV 300 owners now, on request. MLDs are costlier and they've stopped fitting those. The newer suspension kit seems to allow for better rear wheel articulation.

Meanwhile, I'm still itching to find out if my hypothesis is true - TUV 300s manufactured after Jan 2018 do not have the wheelspin issue, even in their stock setup.

I can confirm it for sure. And would be happy to support any such testing.
LegalEagle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 18:42   #2436
BHPian

Quote:

Appears so, the last time I spoke to my SA in Chennai a month back, he said in the similar lines. He mentioned that there were no wheel spin issues reported in the vehicles manufactured since early 2018.
sathyasuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 10:58   #2437
BHPian

Got my TUV second service done yesterday. As expected was a very difficult experience. I was second in the gate at 7:50am. Took an appointment naively for 8am on the app. A cab driver was in ahead of me. We had to run around to find a SA who can come listen to our stories and needs for investigation. We found one guy around 8:15 and because they know me, they were going to start with my car first. I pointed to the taxi and told them I am gate pass number two.
So the solo SA then came to attend to me around 8:30am. Post that the QA supervisor who knows me well too took me on a long test drive that lasted about 20 minutes. We tried to replicate the jerks etc in my AMT but as expected the car was purring well.

On my return they asked me wait in the driver's lounge but I hung around there and finally got them to take my car in and load it up on the QWIK bay around 9:45am.
By now I was getting hungry and naively thought they will finish my car in a hour and I can get home for breakfast. I told them I wanted to see the oil change and to call me for it.
I also showed them some cleaning I needed done. There is a gap in the rear door and leaves drop down a chute and had collected inside over the past year. I showed them the area above the tail lights that I wanted opened up for cleaning.
I also wanted the maps to be updated and the firmware to be updated. The reverse cam was hanging and that needed the ICE to be updated as well.
They started off draining the oils - engine, transmission and differential. He allowed the engine to drain all the way. There was shoddy work in draining the transmission oil and the differential oil. He did not wait for the differential oil to completely stop flowing. Also they use the same bucket for the transmission and differential oils, so there is some mixup. I kept my mouth shut as I didn't want to be told to get off the floor back to the drivers lounge.

There is no concept of a engine oil flush. (I am considering draining the oil they used and treat it as a flush and replace it with another oil myself.)
It was 11am now and I was getting hungry. Ordered a subway through swiggy and that was my brunch. I was around to see the differential and the transmission oil changed but missed the engine oil refill due to brunch.
He tightened the bolts and did a visual inspection cursorily of most systems under chassis and the hood. Finally he was forced to move the car out of the bay around 12:15 and it was time for software updates. The SA tried gamely to update the ICE via USB but failed. He tried twice and my ICE version was 11.1x and latest was 20.xx but it didn't work. He then brought out the Panasonic toughbook and tried through that as well. No luck. It was now 1pm and time for their lunch and siestas.

I went out and grabbed a tea and some biscuits. Came back at 2pm to hound them and they mentioned the system updates are ongoing and the car was out the workshop at 2:30pm. Again the QC took me for a 20 minute drive and told me the car is nippier now. I had wanted the gear change ratios to happen at under 2000rpm and he said a system study will have shown it. I doubt they looked at it at all. My mileage is at 10 and I have been using fuelio from Day 1. Showed it to him but no avail. By now I was tired and had a headache. Just wanted to get it washed and get out of there. We were back into the workshop at 3pm and then I had to push for my car to be washed. They do not raise the car for underchassis and just before me they had raised another TUV for the 3M undercoat. So they promised me they will do it very well by bending under and spraying. I was fed up and asked them to finish quick.

Went to pay the bill which was another 25 minutes waiting, signing many many pages, feedback etc. Went to the wash bay and saw stains in a few places. Ignored them, paid the wash guy 100rs which he grabbed out of my hand before his supervisor could see it. His supervisor came to me with a feedback form. Signed it and asked him to fill the rest. Was finally out the door at 3:55pm and glad my QWIK service got over in under 8 hours. Paid 4181 for the so called free service. Hopefully this once a year struggle will ease in the future.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 24th March 2019 at 10:24. Reason: Editing for readability
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 17:18   #2438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
I can confirm it for sure. And would be happy to support any such testing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
Appears so, the last time I spoke to my SA in Chennai a month back, he said in the similar lines. He mentioned that there were no wheel spin issues reported in the vehicles manufactured since early 2018.
Barely had we thus spoken here when a good samaritan invited me to join an offroading event in Chennai yesterday. Off I went and I was the only one bringing a 2WD over there. There were maybe 5-8 Thars, a few Marshalls, some gnarly old Mahindra jeep with oversized remanufactured tyres, a re-built and modified Gypsy, an Isuzu pick-up truck and a Ford Endeavour 4x4.

Anyway, I went where the 4WD cars went - to many of the obstacles at least. Obviously, quite a few were undoable by a 2WD car so I watched with fascination. But at quite a few challenging obstacles, my TUV chugged through.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-tuv_wheel-air-moment_moment.jpg
I was doing crawling speeds in the above pic, by the way.
I did get stuck at a bump so high once though (no pics available of that yet) and my tank got beached like a whale with its belly resting on the bump (you can spot the tow hook still attached in the above pic, for a jeep had to pull me out with it)

Here's how my journey of discovery has proceeded so far:
1) Mine is a Jan 2018 manufactured TUV 300. During my 2nd free service at 10,000 Km (and I'm at 12,000 Km right now by the way), I was informed by a Mahindra mechanic that TUV 300s made Jan 2018 onwards had a major supplier and parts overhaul, because of which:
* the coolant leakage issue has been fixed (they changed a supplier)
* the vacuum modulator power loss issue is fixed
* the wheelspin issue is fixed since they've used "some new parts" (he didn't elaborate which ones exactly..)
* Few other parts have undergone a change as well, such as the storage in the rear hatch's inner side; I'd posted about this a while ago - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4495559 (Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review)

2) Anyway, based on what the mechanic had told me, I thought that either Mahindra have been fitting MLDs on all TUV 300s, or they've changed suspensions so that there's better rear wheel articulation. I'd been itching to find out.
3) Back in October, I had stupidly taken the Tank down into a dried lake-bed, which was a good 3 foot downstairs from the road. I did break a sweat thinking about how to get it out.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-offroading_siruthavur_3ft-doom.png
I did my best by choosing the least steep part of the embankment on the left side in the pic but the Tank surprised me by climbing out in one shot! Ever since this happened, I started thinking that perhaps my Tank did have an MLD attached after all...

4) But when my tank got beached at the off-roading event yesterday, the good samaritan who invited me over quietly informed me that there is no MLD, judging by the way in which one of the wheels had spun.
5) On the whole, I know now that my Tank and others that have been manufactured from Jan 2018 onwards have way better rear wheel articulation, thanks to a newer suspension. It pulled, climbed and pushed through quite a few patches where older TUVs would have lost it.

Here comes the dismay
Why wouldn't Mahindra officially do some kind of PR over this, since they've improved the rear wheel articulation so much? Social media (including the Mahindra TUV 300 FB page) is full of half-baked and stilted comments by lay persons in broken English, Hindi, Tamil and Telugu that "TUV has the waarst wheelspin issooe, even Altos are better". Aren't Mahindra bothered to at least drop a FYI for people to know that this problem has been resolved to a huge extent?

Here comes the gratitude
I am so thankful that I didn't buy a July 2017 manufactured TUV that was offered at a Rs.80K discount to me, when I was buying back in Feb 2018. I am thankful for following my gut instincts and going in for a Jan 2018 manufactured one.
And lastly, that good samaritan was none other than our very own Captain Rex I remain grateful to him for having invited me over. Now I and you all know the newer TUV 300s a little better than we did before! And yes, the TUV 300 can now hold its own in battered roads and non-existent roads, at the hands of a skilled driver...

Last edited by locusjag : 10th March 2019 at 17:40.
locusjag is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 15:26   #2439
BHPian

Quick question to all members - Has anyone received a call from Mahindra informing them about a replacement clutch pedal? I received the call 10 minutes ago, asking me to bring the vehicle to them - saying that it is 1 - 1/2 hour job. Keeping in mind the Mahindra service, took an appointment for Saturday.

I know it is not much, but I can get more information only by Saturday. And wanted to keep all the members updated.

Last edited by LegalEagle : 11th March 2019 at 15:26. Reason: Spacing
Old 11th March 2019, 15:37   #2440
BHPian

Quote:
Barely had we thus spoken here when a good samaritan invited me to join an offroading event in Chennai yesterday. Off I went and I was the only one bringing a 2WD over there.

Here comes the dismay
Why wouldn't Mahindra officially do some kind of PR over this, since they've improved the rear wheel articulation so much? Social media (including the Mahindra TUV 300 FB page) is full of half-baked and stilted comments by lay persons in broken English, Hindi, Tamil and Telugu that "TUV has the waarst wheelspin issooe, even Altos are better". Aren't Mahindra bothered to at least drop a FYI for people to know that this problem has been resolved to a huge extent?
I would like to take a stab at the answer - the consumer requirement is Efficiency, Technology and to an extent Safety (Thanks to TBhp). However, no one is worried about a heavy vehicle which is sold by a company which is still known to sell heavy and/or commercial vehicles.

If we look at the market, Mahindra's are always sold primarily as rough and tough vehicles, and not classy family vehicles. I still remember the looks I got when I was discussing the vehicle options - people scoffed at the name of any vehicle apart from XUV500.

Also, in Mahindra's defence, they are making the amount of money which they need from the passenger vehicle(s) segment - mainly from the XUV500 and the Bolero. The decent sales of the other vehicles is enough to make sure that they are still present and sold. For them, the commercial vehicle division is the money spinner.

I will go out on a limb here and make the next statement - Only people with different requirements go for Mahindra's - it requires patience to deal with the problem(s) which may comeup in the near future.
LegalEagle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 10:28   #2441
BANNED

Quote:
......Only people with different requirements go for Mahindra's - it requires patience to deal with the problem(s) which may comeup in the near future.

I too will risk going out on a limb and say that I concur wholly with what you said. We ran our '04 Scorpio for 14+ years before we sold it a couple of months ago - reluctantly. And this after we have had our share of shunts on the highway. Nothing else has given us as much joy & peace of mind.

My one experience with a FWD-er (Hyundai Getz) has put me off them for good & re-affirmed my stand as a rooter for the RWD brigade!

Last edited by shashanka : 18th March 2019 at 10:31.
Old 21st March 2019, 14:41   #2442
Distinguished - BHPian

In a FB TUV 300 owners page, everyone's talking about a free clutch pedal replacement they've gotten. No one's able to explain why it was needed; they've called their service center and gotten it replaced.

Some claim that the pedal is easier to use after the replacement. I'm not convinced I'd need mine replaced at all.
locusjag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 16:11   #2443
BHPian

Quote:
In a FB TUV 300 owners page, everyone's talking about a free clutch pedal replacement they've gotten. No one's able to explain why it was needed; they've called their service center and gotten it replaced.

Some claim that the pedal is easier to use after the replacement. I'm not convinced I'd need mine replaced at all.
Apologies for the delayed response. I am one of those who had this replacement.

To clarify, it is not the pedal replacement, it is the replacement of shaft pin associated with the clutch pedal, costing around INR 200. The part is not available at all Service Centers immediately due to delays in dispatch from the factory. It is applicable for all TUV's produced. Total time of change - 2 hours.

Reasoning - When the clutch is being depressed, a creaking and/or "Tic-Tic-Tic" sound emerges, every time. Complaint has been received for some vehicles, and a slow recall has been initiated.

Now the fun part - not every Service Center knows about this. My Brother in Law has a TUV and his Service Center in Chennai is not aware of the replacement. However, when asked, they mentioned that they would be happy to change it.

Now to answer the question on feel on the clutch, I would not say it is lighter or easier. In my case, it felt harder on the day of replacement, and now has become the same as always.

Hope that helps.
LegalEagle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 17:04   #2444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Apologies for the delayed response. I am one of those who had this replacement.

To clarify, it is not the pedal replacement, it is the replacement of shaft pin associated with the clutch pedal, costing around INR 200. The part is not available at all Service Centers immediately due to delays in dispatch from the factory. It is applicable for all TUV's produced. Total time of change - 2 hours.

Reasoning - When the clutch is being depressed, a creaking and/or "Tic-Tic-Tic" sound emerges, every time. Complaint has been received for some vehicles, and a slow recall has been initiated.
Thank you!

I don't hear or feel anything untoward with my clutch set-up. I think I'll pass up on this replacement.
Old 23rd March 2019, 21:31   #2445
BHPian

Quote:

I received a call from my dealer asking to bring TUV for a free replacement of the said part. So, its probably is a nationwide recall.
deetee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks