Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2019, 10:12   #2491
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
My last car was Hyundai Verna first model, clutch kit was changed after 80k kms. I am getting 15kmpl on highway at 80 speed full AC and 12kmpl in city conditions (most of the time in A2 or A3). I never crossed 3000 rpm on my Tank even on highways. I only accelerate heavily when I have to overtake on highway. I am still 100% confident that due to faulty AMT my clutch kit worn out quickly. As per my previous post, sudden power loss at A2 and sudden jerk in A3 has caused wear and tear on my Tank.

However, I have no hopes from Mahindra. I was charged a bomb 15,000 for 40k service, only parts replaced were break pads, additional 5,400 for clutch kit. Fly wheel was covered under warranty (around 9k cost). Total bill was 19,400. MASS kept vehicle for 2 weeks to diagnose the issue. No donor vehicle was provided. I decided, if this issue repeats I will go ahead and sell this car.
Just an update on my issue. I escalated this to next level in Mahindra, got a call from their regional manager stating that as a gesture of goodwill, they will reimburse the amount I paid for clutch kit. They are willing to adjust the amount in my next service bill. Finally I am relieved. Hopefully the issue will not surface again.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 11:17   #2492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just an update on my issue. I escalated this to next level in Mahindra, got a call from their regional manager stating that as a gesture of goodwill, they will reimburse the amount I paid for clutch kit. They are willing to adjust the amount in my next service bill. Finally I am relieved. Hopefully the issue will not surface again.
Thanks for sharing. Good gesture by M&M. But I would have been happier had they put in more efforts in better engineering the clutch and ensuring that it functions without failure for thousands of kms in Indian conditions.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 12:08   #2493
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll never complete my ownership review since I keep posting my updates here...but never mind - here comes an update - I've completed a 5 day trip of around 1200 Km in my TUV 300 and the itinerary was --> Chennai-Hosur-Ooty (via Bandipur/Gudalur)-Chennai.

On the National Highways - it was the same old story wherein I was happy to cruise at 90 Kmph but felt irked by all the hatchbacks and sedans who ran rings around my TUV with their high speed stunts. I would very much like to have a tall 6th gear in the TUV, if wishes were horses!

Its short gearing is an advantage in some instances on the open highway though; if you find yourselves surrounded by honking hatchbacks when stuck behind two lumbering trucks blocking all lanes, when you get the chance, you can slot the TUV into 4th gear at 50 Kmph and floor it. The way it accelerates to 90 Kmph is phenomenal and you can get clear of all the mindless honking traffic.

On the ghat roads and hairpin bends - my first experience in such conditions on my TUV was a revelation. The low-end torque was a blessing and I could negotiate tight hairpin bends in the 2nd gear with a full load. When climbing steep inclines, I found that the vehicle can even pull cleanly with my foot off the accelerator.

Driving downhill on the ghat roads is where the TUV 300 has its weakness; I spent extra time driving downhill in 3rd/2nd gear to keep the bodyroll in check on the winding roads.

On broken hilly roads - If you've climbed the stretch to the Doddabetta peak, you'll know how steep and broken it is. Here's where the TUV was in its element; I could rocket past all those troublesome hatchbacks who were nursing themselves past potholes and burning their clutch-plates on the inclines. The only other vehicles that could hold their own were old school Mahindra jeep/cabs and Boleros.

Overall, cars and drivers somehow bond with each other and I could drive for 15.5 hours at a stretch (with the obvious breaks, of course) yesterday and this is something I couldn't possibly do in my erstwhile Maruti Swift. The only tiredness I felt was in my mind and my body was fresh as ever at the end of the trip.

I wouldn't dream of driving another vehicle...unless it's a TUV 300 with a 6th gear!
locusjag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 18:41   #2494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I'll never complete my ownership review since I keep posting my updates here...
I wouldn't dream of driving another vehicle...unless it's a TUV 300 with a 6th gear!
I have followed your thoughts on TUV and always love your updates , which makes me look and re-look at all passing TUVs wherever I am. I also cannot find another car that I want to own. Last night on a dark stretch of the road, I found a TUV behind me (those distinctive headlights identified instantly) and let it pass so that I could enjoy the tank.

Sadly, I am environment conscious as well and have to look away from diesel variants.
CarStruck is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 17:18   #2495
Senior - BHPian

My experience over 18 months and 31,000 km mirrors yours. I have a T6+ MT.

Quote:
On the National Highways - it was the same old story wherein I was happy to cruise at 90 Kmph but felt irked by all the hatchbacks and sedans who ran rings around my TUV with their high speed stunts.
Since most Indian highways have speed limits enforced more strictly nowadays, 90-100 is pretty much the usable speed. It cruises comfortably up to 90 km/hr. Also, braking performance dissuades me from higher speeds on BoF SUVs.

Quote:
Its short gearing is an advantage in some instances on the open highway though;
It is a boon on undivided roads. Coupled with the linear torque delivery focussed at the low-end, it is great on rural roads.

Quote:
On the ghat roads and hairpin bends - my first experience in such conditions on my TUV was a revelation. The low-end torque was a blessing and I could negotiate tight hairpin bends in the 2nd gear with a full load.
On the hills, it is almost like the Bolero. Power delivery impresses.

Quote:
Driving downhill on the ghat roads is where the TUV 300 has its weakness; I spent extra time driving downhill in 3rd/2nd gear to keep the bodyroll in check on the winding roads.
You maybe slower, but you will definitely be safer if you keep the same gear while going downhill as you would while going uphill on the same slope.

Quote:
The only tiredness I felt was in my mind and my body was fresh as ever at the end of the trip.
The seating position and visibility are excellent for long journeys. I have done many long drives and while attention and sleepiness maybe one thing, but aches and pains and stiff joints are much lesser on the TUV than my previous car.
architect is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 13:04   #2496
BHPian

Quote:
The AMT saga continues. This time requested complete refund of my amount or replacement to MT, which I think is a distant dream in India. The fight with Mahindra is on.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-screenshot_20190523125703792_com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.mail.png  

Old 23rd May 2019, 16:40   #2497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The AMT saga continues. This time requested complete refund of my amount or replacement to MT, which I think is a distant dream in India. The fight with Mahindra is on.
Personally, I hope they replace the AMT with a MT for you. If not for the AMT, the TUV is quite well sorted by now and serves so many owners well in its MT avatar. All the best!
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 17:44   #2498
BHPian

Quote:
Personally, I hope they replace the AMT with a MT for you. If not for the AMT, the TUV is quite well sorted by now and serves so many owners well in its MT avatar. All the best!
I seriously doubt it, I have tweeted to Anand Mahindra also, the local zonal manager contacted me. He already knows the issues I faced previously, he called me and said we will flash AMT software etc. I told him, it was already done and the MASS has identified some oil leakage in AMT unit and ordered for a replacement part. I told him to contact the MASS first and get correct update before he calls me again.

I am going to fight ugly on this, I will do whatever it takes to reach the highest level of escalation matrix in Mahindra. They are not even providing a donor vehicle, last time it was at MASS for 2 weeks, now god knows how many day it will stay there. Last time they replaced flywheel and clutch kit under warranty, however, my warranty will end in another year and I do not want to spend another 15k on extended warranty. Imagine the loss if my car was not under warranty, they would have charged 15k just for spares of faulty AMT.

Back of my mind I know I am fighting pointless war, even if I go to consumer court, I may not get any justice there. I would just end up selling the vehicle and maybe buy a used Jeep Compass or a new Venue. Nothing finalized yet, but I am pretty sure I do not want to live with it anymore.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 18:02   #2499
BHPian

Standard response from Mahindra after nice belting session with him in the morning. I got the same response "this will not repeat again etc etc". I asked him what if this repeats again? You told me same thing last time as well? I told him to give details of what they will do if this repeats again, no response yet.

I also belted him about non-availability of donor vehicle. He offered me refund of cab amount in form of diesel vouchers for daily commute to office.

Expecting vehicle delivery on Monday, but I am not taking delivery of the vehicle until I get response for what they will do if this repeats again. Based on their response I will either abandon the vehicle at MASS or proceed legally.

Anyone any thoughts of if my case will stand in consumer court? Anyone in India won against such huge coporate companies?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20190524_175334.jpg  

Old 26th May 2019, 01:36   #2500
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone any thoughts of if my case will stand in consumer court? Anyone in India won against such huge coporate companies?
I am so sorry for you. This should never happen to anyone. I am sure there will be matters decided against delinquent car manufacturers. Many litigating lawyers (including me, when I was a practicing lawyer) have fought battles against large companies/MNCs on behalf of clients and won as long as there was clear evidence of wrongdoing and the client could sustain the court proceedings, which are usually lengthy and patience is the key.

Last edited by CarStruck : 26th May 2019 at 01:37.
CarStruck is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 12:02   #2501
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarStruck View Post
... the client could sustain the court proceedings, which are usually lengthy and patience is the key.

Hi Ramnaresh,

Very unfortunate that you have to go through this peril, I think your case is a case of a lemon from the factory.

My uncle (a corporate legal advisor) faced a similar problem with a two wheeler(a motorbike) from another famous Indian manufacturer and had to undergo similar problems. He wrote many a times to the customer care and the manufacturer was relentlessly fixing or rather attempting to fix by sending in engineers and others again and again for about an year. He finally negotiated a deal wherein the vehicle was exchanged for a new scooter with some discounts from the same manufacturer which is working well. His reasoning was, with no proper lemon laws in place it would be a time consuming exercise as Carstruck has summed up in his post above.

So my thought is why don't you try to strike a deal with Mahindra and exchange with discounts on a more proven vehicle like a XUV 500/ Scorpio?
sathyasuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 14:00   #2502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
So my thought is why don't you try to strike a deal with Mahindra and exchange with discounts on a more proven vehicle like a XUV 500/ Scorpio?
I like xuv 500 very much and like its butch stance. However, it is totally out of my budget, my current TUV is on bank loan and still has 3 years of EMI left and I dont like the new xuv 300. I will try to negotiate with them to get manual T10(O) and exchange my old lemon with them, not very confident that they will agree without a nasty fight.

Just an update on the status of my tuv I got from MASS, the actuator part arrived on Saturday and they are fixing it today. Once the work is done, they will go on a long test drive to check if all ok or not, they also will re-flash AMT software.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 07:03   #2503
BHPian

Quote:
they also will re-flash AMT software.
Kindly note the version of your software now and post the update. Ask them to send you a pic before and after.
My last update was in March and the version is 0.20.01
The actuator in my AMT was changed sometime last year, just fyi. I had a transmission oil leak and that was when they changed it.

Last edited by diyguy : 28th May 2019 at 07:05.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 13:24   #2504
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this new-fangled ad for the refreshed TUV on FB.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-fb_img_1559029960797.jpg

Cushion suspension? Optimized ride height? Are these some new features added to the refreshed TUV 300?
Old 28th May 2019, 13:53   #2505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cushion suspension? Optimized ride height? Are these some new features added to the refreshed TUV 300?
I think its just marketing speak to address the wheel spin issues that some prospective customers might ask about.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed