Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2020, 14:29   #2701
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
A friend of mine mentions that his TUV stalls when he tries to start the vehicle after a drive. This issue is noticed when the vehicle is started after for the first time the day, so it should not be issue with battery.

However, when starting the vehicle when engine is hot, the vehicle vibrates and stalls.

Has anyone faced this issue in their TUV?
I have never faced this issue in my 4.5 years of TUV ownership, neither have I heard any other owner reporting this. Probably this is the first time I am hearing about such a kind of issue. Has your friend shown his car to the workshop?
Old 4th April 2020, 15:19   #2702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Has your friend shown his car to the workshop?
Yes, he did take it. But with the issue not getting reproduced always, they as expected was searching in dark. He got his starter motor replaced, but that dint solve the issue.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 17:17   #2703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, he did take it. But with the issue not getting reproduced always, they as expected was searching in dark. He got his starter motor replaced, but that dint solve the issue.
I was about to point to the starter motor earlier but then thought if that was the root cause then the problem would have been even during the first start of the day, which is not in this case. Another issue could be the fuel pump acting up during the subsequent starts.

I remember long back, during my first service (3000 kms), the FDM (Fuel Delivery Module) of my car was replaced under voluntary recall. I didn't have any issues that time with the fuel supply or starting, however as a precautionary measure it was replaced under warranty. You can refer further details on my ownership thread. Please refer message#146

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ective-10.html (Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective)
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 18:16   #2704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, he did take it.
Did they run diagnostics? No error codes popping up? My guess would be
1. O2 sensor problem because of which supply is getting cut off
2. Issue with fuel plumbing because of which this issue happens sporadically

Did he get the fuel filter or any other parts serviced/replaced in the last few months?

Last edited by procrj : 4th April 2020 at 18:22.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 12:19   #2705
BHPian

My tank is not cranking today. Getting the attached error light. Any idea what should I do now? I drove it just yesterday for daily errands and it seemed fine. Not sure what the issue is. Battery is fine, All electronics are working fine.

Mine is AMT, and when I try to shift to A/M or R, it doesn't change and remains in N mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20200406_121056.jpg  

Old 6th April 2020, 15:55   #2706
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
FDM (Fuel Delivery Module) of my car was replaced under voluntary recall.
This was not done on his car. Will ask him to cross on this part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Did they run diagnostics? No error codes popping up? My guess would be
1. O2 sensor problem because of which supply is getting cut off
2. Issue with fuel plumbing because of which this issue happens sporadically

Did he get the fuel filter or any other parts serviced/replaced in the last few months?
They had mentioned that in diagnostics nothing turned up. He was not there at service center when this happened, so not sure if they did it really or not. He wanted to take it to service center to get it checked again, but thats when lock-down happened.

Yes, even I was wondering if it was something related to fuel line. But if that is the case, shouldn't it happen while driving too and not just when starting?

Else, no replacements done.
Old 6th April 2020, 16:12   #2707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
My tank is not cranking today. Getting the attached error light. Any idea what should I do now? I drove it just yesterday for daily errands and it seemed fine. Not sure what the issue is. Battery is fine, All electronics are working fine.

Mine is AMT, and when I try to shift to A/M or R, it doesn't change and remains in N mode.
Appears to be the battery, is there a way you can swap the battery and check?
Old 6th April 2020, 16:15   #2708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Appears to be the battery, is there a way you can swap the battery and check?
Not sure if it is the battery, I mean all the electronics in the car are working fine including AC and HU. I emailed customer service, they said they are trying to arrange for a technician but not 100% sure due to lockdown.

Does the battery also have impact on the AMT box? I am not able to change from N to A/M?
Old 7th April 2020, 09:50   #2709
BHPian

Quote:

I am sure you would have checked the TUV manual. However, if not, this is what the manual says:

AMT warning lamp - Continuously ON Indicates malfunction of the AMT system. Contact Authorized Mahindra Dealer immediately
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20200407_095130.jpg  

Last edited by ambujlal : 7th April 2020 at 09:53.
ambujlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 10:13   #2710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
something related to fuel line. But if that is the case, shouldn't it happen while driving too and not just when starting?
My understanding of the problem is that after driving for a certain period, when the car is switched off, he is unable to start the car again? Correct?

If this is the case, then it could be a problem with glow plug. Since its a coil, it would work well when cold but once it gets heated, it will start to show its age and could start to fail. The glow plug indicator lamp might not highlighted in the Instrument cluster, but it could be on its last legs.

Quote:
Not sure if it is the battery
It could very well be the battery as the amps needed to crank is a lot more than whats needed to keep the AC and other electronics working. If your battery is close to 3yrs old, I would suggest you get it changed.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 11:03   #2711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
I am sure you would have checked the TUV manual.
Yes checked it. It is continuously on, previously it used to be on when there was some sort of wheel roll. However, this time there was no wheel roll. Any idea why a stagnant vehicle has AMT issue?

Quote:
It could very well be the battery as the amps needed to crank is a lot more than whats needed to keep the AC and other electronics working. If your battery is close to 3yrs old, I would suggest you get it changed.
Battery is 3 years old, not changed since I purchased the vehicle. Will battery have impact on AMT gear box as well? My vehicle is not shifting from N to A/M mode or R mode.
Old 7th April 2020, 11:10   #2712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If this is the case, then it could be a problem with glow plug(still not sure if this is true). Since its a coil, it would work well when cold but once it gets heated, it will start to show its age and could start to fail. The glow plug indicator lamp might not highlighted in the Instrument cluster, but it could be on its last legs.
This is the case in my Ertiga also that there is no indicator for a failed Glow plug. However, during last service they found out that all 4 plugs had lived it's life (192k kms) and had gone bad. The ASC didn't have stock of 4 plugs handy and I hence haven't replaced it at all.

What is important to note is that I faced zero issues with starting the car including my December drive to Gujarat where temperature at certain locations where I stayed was single digit.

Technically, it is very rare for Indian weather conditions where a failed glow plug will trouble a car to start. Moreover, the Glow plugs are supposed to aid the starting process during a crank when the weather is extremely cold.

So the question is : Can anyone who owns a TUV confirm if a failed glow plug has caused such issues where it doesn't start?

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th April 2020 at 11:13.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 11:44   #2713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If this is the case, then it could be a problem with glow plug. Since its a coil, it would work well when cold but once it gets heated
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Technically, it is very rare for Indian weather conditions where a failed glow plug will trouble a car to start. Moreover, the Glow plugs are supposed to aid the starting process during a crank when the weather is extremely cold.
Yes, I will ask him to check the glow-plug. In his case, my friend is from Wayanad in Kerala (comparatively colder area). However, in such a cold climate won't it cause issue during cold start too?

In any case, will ask him to get that verified. His vehicle hasn't done much on ODO, just around 25K in past 4 years or so.
Old 7th April 2020, 11:48   #2714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My vehicle is not shifting from N to A/M mode or R mode.
Maybe its not shifting because your AMT warning light is on. Would suggest you take it to MASS, check with another battery before replacing OR use a meter to check voltage readings before you decide to change battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So the question is : Can anyone who owns a TUV confirm if a failed glow plug has caused such issues where it doesn't start?
I remember one example on the TUV WAG where someone had a glow plug issue. Not sure if it resulted in starting issues only when hot. Need to confirm.

Quote:
Yes, I will ask him to check the glow-plug.
Apparently even a weak battery can cause this - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4677942 (Starting problem when engine is HOT!)
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 11:53   #2715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I remember one example on the TUV WAG where someone had a glow plug issue. Not sure if it resulted in starting issues only when hot. Need to confirm.
In my opinion, it should not cause starting issues.

I have also known a lot of Palios and Puntos in my circle that faced Glow Plug failures but never had any problems with starting. Like I said, failed glow plugs very rarely result in car not starting especially for general Indian weather conditions including winter except may be Himalayan regions.

But yes, do check within your circles. Never know if TUV is a special case although It should not be.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks