Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2020, 11:59   #2716
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
My tank is not cranking today....

The manual TUV does not crank if it is in gear and clutch pedal is not depressed. So, I'm guessing this is most likely related to AMT failure.
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 13:49   #2717
BHPian

Can someone suggest a good battery for TUV? Mine is 3 years old and as mentioned in my previous posts its almost dead I believe.

Shall I stick with Amaron or try Exide? What are the prices?
Old 12th April 2020, 10:39   #2718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone suggest a good battery for TUV? Mine is 3 years old and as mentioned in my previous posts its almost dead I believe.

Shall I stick with Amaron or try Exide? What are the prices?
Last year in June, I replaced the battery with EXIDE FEPO-EGRID700 A389G0475193894. The OEM battery lasted for 3 years and 9 months. The new battery costed Rs 5600/- (6400 - 800) for the old battery exchange. I would suggest you can call the Exide Batmobile folks. They can come to your doorstep, check the battery electrolyte specific gravity and let you know if your battery is healthy or need replacement.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 11:15   #2719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I would suggest you can call the Exide Batmobile folks.
Thank you for the details. Due to lockdown, I am currently in my hometown and this service is not available here. All local vendors are closed, again due to lockdown. I have to wait till 30th to get this sorted out or try to jumpstart using other battery.

I am contemplating daily to replace TUV due to constant AMT issues, However, TUV spoiled me with it's go anywhere attitude and spacious interiors. Finding it difficult to find a suitable replacement.

I pledged myself thay I would only go with 5 star NCAP rated vehicle only. Shortlisted below

• Jeep Compass
  • Tata Nexon (maybe EV?)
  • XUV 300

Compass is too expensive and Nexon/XUV 300 are too small. Maybe I will stick with TUV for few more years
Old 13th April 2020, 13:24   #2720
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the details. Due to lockdown, I am currently in my hometown and this service is not available here. All local vendors are closed, again due to lockdown. I have to wait till 30th to get this sorted out or try to jumpstart using other battery.

I am contemplating daily to replace TUV due to constant AMT issues, However, TUV spoiled me with it's go anywhere attitude and spacious interiors. Finding it difficult to find a suitable replacement.

I pledged myself thay I would only go with 5 star NCAP rated vehicle only. Shortlisted below

• Jeep Compass
  • Tata Nexon (maybe EV?)
  • XUV 300

Compass is too expensive and Nexon/XUV 300 are too small. Maybe I will stick with TUV for few more years
Hi, the second option which can't be ruled out is a failed alternator, even if battery is fine & alternator fails then the engine will not crank.
Have you ever noticed battery low warning on the display unit?
I have got battery replaced of my TUV last year, and recently due to failed alternator I expert a similar problem.
Alternator was repaired under warranty, the OEM alternator is by Bosch & they send it to repair to company only. In my case it was done within a day only.
dieselburner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 13:32   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner View Post
No, I have not noticed any such warning. One day before this issue, I was able to crank the Tank without any issue and no kick backs from Tank indicating weak battery. I was under the assumption that if battery was weak, sometimes it may not crank on 1st attempt and it will be a warning sign. No such thing happened to me.

Also concerned about the AMT error warning lamp. Not sure if this is battery related or not? It just doesn't go away and my Tank refuses to change from Neutral to Driver mode (A/M Mode).
Old 13th April 2020, 13:49   #2722
BHPian

Quote:
No, I have not noticed any such warning. One day before this issue, I was able to crank the Tank without any issue and no kick backs from Tank indicating weak battery. I was under the assumption that if battery was weak, sometimes it may not crank on 1st attempt and it will be a warning sign. No such thing happened to me.

Also concerned about the AMT error warning lamp. Not sure if this is battery related or not? It just doesn't go away and my Tank refuses to change from Neutral to Driver mode (A/M Mode).
I think it is alternator issue, as in my case I have a manual model, when I experienced this all the lights in instrument cluster were ON & I thought of some issue apart from battery.
Recovery vehicle from MASS came, they jump start it and it started and they did some basic checks & found that alternator has failed due to which battery discharged. It has to be towed as battery was not getting charged and can again stop on way to workshop.
dieselburner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 13:55   #2723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think it is alternator issue
Not necessarily true. My car was working fine and cranking on first crank till one day it just died on me. Battery had to be replaced. Given that his car is an AMT which runs on a higher AH battery pack, cant really nail it down to alternator failure unless you check voltage levels.

Quote:
Also concerned about the AMT error warning lamp
No point worrying about this until you check and replace battery, if needed. When my battery died, check engine light came on in my instrument cluster.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 14:14   #2724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, the second option which can't be ruled out is a failed alternator, even if battery is fine & alternator fails then the engine will not crank.
If the battery is in charged state - car will start even if there is no alternator in the car. Engine turns the alternator, not the other way round.
What needs to be seen is the red battery icon on the console. If it is glowing when the engine is running - that means the battery isn't charging. That means either alternator is not working Or wiring has problems. Its not a "Low battery" warning but "Battery not charging" warning. It will always glow when the engine is not running (even with a fully charged battery in there) & should go out once car is started.
Quote:
I think it is alternator issue, as in my case I have a manual model, when I experienced this all the lights in instrument cluster were ON & I thought of some issue apart from battery.
Recovery vehicle from MASS came, they jump start it and it started and they did some basic checks & found that alternator has failed due to which battery discharged. It has to be towed as battery was not getting charged and can again stop on way to workshop.
I think the OP's case is just a battery falling off the cliff at the wrong time & dying on him during lockdown. Alternator is just a basic generator motor (a large scale implementation of the old magneto used on bicycle lighting ) & very little can go wrong with it in few years generally. If the battery is not dead, before a failed alternator, it may be a slipped / incorrect tension alternator V Belt causing slip & low alternator RPM.

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th April 2020 at 14:16.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 14:23   #2725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here's my own mental map, for when a part of my brain thinks "what next?"

* No monocoques, period. I want the bad road capability that the TUV offers. (This means that body on frame UVs are in my consideration set.)
* I want the overloadability that the TUV offers. As in the TUV, I want to be able to go anywhere, even when overloaded with people, without scraping the car's belly anywhere. (This rules out long wheelbase MUVs like the Hexa, Innova & Marazzo)
* I want decent (if not better) levels of safety features, as in the TUV
* I need a free breathing engine on the highway, which the TUV doesn't have unfortunately
* I would want better 3rd row seats than the ones in the TUV

And I'm confused as well. Am I possibly looking at used Fortuners, Endeavours, Scorpios or TUV 300 Pluses? But these have just that extra bit of length which would make me need to move to a costly rented apartment for parking and maneuvering purposes. And one never lets the tail wag the dog, of course. Moving one's home just because of a car is decidedly eccentric.

I can totally see why a current TUV 300 owner would stick to it. It is a unique offering.

Meanwhile, I can't wait to take mine out to Udupi in the rains once the lockdown is over! No fear of the broken, infamous roads in the Udupi region because I drive a TUV 300
locusjag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 00:14   #2726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think it is alternator issue, as in my case I have a manual model, when I experienced this all the lights in instrument cluster were ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Not necessarily true. My car was working fine and cranking on first crank till one day it just died on me. Battery had to be replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
What needs to be seen is the red battery icon on the console. If it is glowing when the engine is running - that means the battery isn't charging. That means either alternator is not working Or wiring has problems.
In my manual model when alternator failed, symptoms were gradual not sudden. I have posted about it earlier on this thread (Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review).

Last edited by airbus : 14th April 2020 at 00:16.
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 11:49   #2727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
* No monocoques, period. I want the bad road capability that the TUV offers. (This means that body on frame UVs are in my consideration set.)
* I want the overloadability that the TUV offers. As in the TUV, I want to be able to go anywhere, even when overloaded with people, without scraping the car's belly anywhere. (This rules out long wheelbase MUVs like the Hexa, Innova & Marazzo)
* I need a free breathing engine on the highway, which the TUV doesn't have unfortunately

I can totally see why a current TUV 300 owner would stick to it. It is a unique offering.
Yes, TUV300 is indeed an unique offering which no other OEM has. The only BoF RWD C-SUV with intimidating road presence and go anywhere capability. It looks good too with its boxy design which will never go out of fashion. Mahindra mechanicals are solid and service is cheap and available almost everywhere. I am also contemplating buying a TUV300 sometime next year.
SaurabhB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 10:30   #2728
BHPian

Quote:
Here's my own mental map, for when a part of my brain thinks "what next?"

* I would want better 3rd row seats than the ones in the TUV

And I'm confused as well. Am I possibly looking at used Fortuners, Endeavours, Scorpios or TUV 300 Pluses? But these have just that extra bit of length which would make me need to move to a costly rented apartment for parking and maneuvering purposes. And one never lets the tail wag the dog, of course. Moving one's home just because of a car is decidedly eccentric.

Meanwhile, I can't wait to take mine out to Udupi in the rains once the lockdown is over! No fear of the broken, infamous roads in the Udupi region because I drive a TUV 300

Man you spoke my heart. I don't think, I'd be ever comfortable with the exact features / benefits you mentioned in any other car. It is not the feature that makes this car unique. It is the combination. Quite some thought might have gone into designing. Of course, I'd want the stepney a bit lower and a bit more powerful engine. That aside, this car takes what is thrown at it, at ease. Am saying this after close to 3yrs of ownership & have done close to 40K inter-state trips. I don't use it for daily use. I use only for outstation trips. Places my TUV has traveled from Bengaluru: Vagamon, Goa, Coimbatore, Chennai (many times), Madurai - Kanyakumari (many times), Kukke Subramanya, Dharamshala, Sringeri & so on. Of course, most usage is on highway. But am quite happy with the offering. I'd stick to it for atleast a few more years. Family is quite happy (with the luggage they're able to take) and the comfort.
shreedharan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 20:40   #2729
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhB View Post
Yes, TUV300 is indeed an unique offering which no other OEM has. The only BoF RWD C-SUV with intimidating road presence and go anywhere capability. It looks good too with its boxy design which will never go out of fashion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreedharan View Post
Man you spoke my heart. I don't think, I'd be ever comfortable with the exact features / benefits you mentioned in any other car. It is not the feature that makes this car unique. It is the combination.
I can safely say that the only replacement for TUV 300 is a TUV 300 itself. I may end up buying a manual variant of the new refreshed version.

Also due to lockdown, there has been no update on my issue. If this turns out to be AMT related, then there is no second option, but to sell it off.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 11:12   #2730
BHPian

My insurance is about to expire on 4th May and hence started hunting for renewal quotes online on sites like policybazar etc. My current insurer is Reliance and for past 2 years I have not made a single claim. I made 1 claim in 1st year, so my current NCB is at 20%.

Reliance gave me a quotation of 14,500 this year, which was just 500 bucks less than previous year. This made me cringe like crazy and decided not to renew with Reliance. I took a picture of all cashless insurers from my visit to MASS and started looking for alternatives.

Then it struck me, I may sell this car thanks to never ending AMT issues, should I just go for a cheap 3rd party insurance or go with Full comprehensive zero dep insurance?

Policy bazar gave me a quotation of 12,200 (including zero dep) from Magma HDI at IDV 5.47 lakhs and 8,000 for comprehensive without zero dep. Went ahead with zero dep as it made more sense. I just had to upload my RC and previous insurance plus chasis and engine number and got a soft copy of new insurance straight to my email.

Now comes the other costs as I need to replace my battery (as my car is not cranking) and tires are at 10%. So additional 25k cost before I can sell it off.

Can someone guide me how much resale value I can expect? I visited Cars24 six months back and got a quotation of 6.31 lakhs. I was not happy with their evaluation, they made a lot of mistakes while evaluating stating that steering wheel is hard, saying car was re-painted but it was PPF, black colour has less demand, AMT failed in TUV (which is a fact) and Creta is main competition etc.

I still have to pay around 4 lakhs to bank for the loan. I just want some decent amount of money for down payment on my new car. Is 7.5 lakhs too much to expect on 3 years old T8 variant?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks