Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2021, 10:20   #2971
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Bengaluru TUVians along with families went for a camping trip during the weekend of 20 - 21 February. It was great to interact with so many TUV owners. Owners are largely happy with the tank

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-1.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-2.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-3.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-4.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-5.jpg

Last edited by manson : 26th February 2021 at 10:06.
airbus is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 10:31   #2972
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! That must have been quite a sight for the general public to see so many of them in one place. Did you all go for a drive?
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 10:39   #2973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Bengaluru TUVians along with families went for a camping trip during the weekend of 20 - 21 February. It was great to interact with so many TUV owners. Owners are largely happy with the tank
Super shots there. All the tanks lined up like disciplined ants. Please share more details of the camping trip. Who arranged it and what were the experiences shared around TUV?
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 14:27   #2974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Did you all go for a drive?
We all reached the meeting point and then together drove 18 kms to the resort as a convoy of TUV3OO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Who arranged it and what were the experiences shared around TUV?
The event was organized by Bengaluru TUV owners WhatsApp group. Similar events were organized earlier by this group. This group is very helpful in supporting members with any issue with the tank, in particular one of the Admins, Mr. Dinesh is very proactive in supporting members. New members shared their experience with their tank and how the group helped them.

Observed some gadgets and improvements done with the tank. I was particularly interested in tyres and saw couple of tanks using Yokohama Geolandar 235/75/R15 tyres. As we were with family, kids were eager to visit play areas in the resort hence those discussions were limited. Got some goodies too

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20210221_100448.jpg

Last edited by manson : 26th February 2021 at 10:05.
airbus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 19:03   #2975
BHPian

Quote:
The event was organized by Bengaluru TUV owners WhatsApp group.
How do I join this group? I am in Bangalore and own a tank too.
Old 26th February 2021, 10:04   #2976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu13uk View Post
How do I join this group? I am in Bangalore and own a tank too.
I will send you a PM with the details.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 18:58   #2977
BHPian

Hi,

The recommended differential oil for TUV300 is GL-5 80W90. I have 2 liters GL-5 85W140 lying with me, can I use it instead?

Thanks

Nitin
Old 5th March 2021, 12:58   #2978
BHPian

Quote:
I will send you a PM with the details.
Hi Buddy,

Can you share the details with me as well as I recently moved to Bangalore and would like to connect with other TUV owners.

Thanks,
gr8guzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 18:07   #2979
Senior - BHPian

I am having a funny DIALOGUE with my TUV

If I ever brake hard or approach humongous speed breakers in my neighbourhood, the TUV uncle warns me that the brake oil level is low.
Mostly the audio warning just says first word only.
The lights on dash also flicker for seconds but when I check the level physically, its full.

Anyone had similar experience? I have tight schedule, due to year closing, so cannot visit workshop before 1st April but my everyday drive is about 60 kms To/Fro & the TUV UNCLE is now becoming irritating.

However, no compromises in braking or any other feedback

Regards.

Last edited by ariesonu : 15th March 2021 at 18:19. Reason: Adding content
Old 19th March 2021, 12:05   #2980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post

The vehicle has since then done about 1K KM and the cooling is fine. And thus... the TUV's quirkiness happily continues...
Err.., I was either too quick in concluding this way or just probably forgot to touch wood after saying so I guess . The AC evaporator finally gave way last week. This time I was literally able to hear the gas leak on turning the AC on. So got the AC evaporator replaced, the SA agreed to the original 25% discount on spares and labour, the final bill was 10184 after discount (no discounts on the consumables though).

The symptoms for this failure: very low whistling/humming sound when the ac compressor is operating and there was a temperature difference between the air from the AC vents in the centre of the dashboard and the ones in the driver/passenger corner. The air from the centre vents was colder than the air from the vents in the either corners.
sathyasuri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 23:49   #2981
Senior - BHPian

Finished 60,000 km last week in 3 years and 4 months, with the last 1350 km being completed within 36 hours. Except for the Vacuum Modulator and the Intake Manifold Assembly, no parts failures or major issues. There are a few rattles.

Overall, this seems to be an abuse-friendly vehicle that works best on Indian Highways because of its ladder frame and bulk. It is also happy doing 100 km/hr on expressways (though I have the Eastern Peripheral Expressway on my route at times which has a 120 km/hr limit). At 9.70 lakhs on-road including extended warranty, I think the value proposition of my T6+ variant is still excellent. Details are on my ownership thread.
architect is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 18:27   #2982

Hi,
I would like to share this experience with everyone here and see if anyone could explain this behaviour of my TUV 300. Recently I went to Jhalori Pass in Himachal Pradesh, which is about 10,000 feet above sea level. As I approached this place, the car lost its torque and it was no longer possible to climb in second gear. Also, the smell of burning copper wire came in inside the cabin. Once I opened the bonnet, I could sense the parts were extremely hot, although the engine temperature gauge was showing normal level of heat. I stopped at several places and eventually made it to Jhalori Pass. The vehicle behaved normally after I climbed down to a lower altitude, but it has dented my confidence to take the car to high altitude locations. One service engineer from a Mahindra service centre said either low oxygen level in high altitude or adulterated fuel could be the reason. Is there anything I could do or get done while servicing the car next time to prevent this loss of torgue and burning smell in high altitude locations? The car is behaving normally in cities. I had traveled to Ladakh in TUV crossing altitudes as high as 17500 feet at some places, but then this problem did not occur. So I am not very sure about the low-oxygen explanation.

Thank you and regards,
Gireesh
Old 4th April 2021, 20:29   #2983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gireesh View Post
Is there anything I could do or get done while servicing the car next time to prevent this loss of torgue and burning smell in high altitude locations? The car is behaving normally in cities. I had traveled to Ladakh in TUV crossing altitudes as high as 17500 feet at some places, but then this problem did not occur. So I am not very sure about the low-oxygen explanation.

Thank you and regards,
Gireesh
The burning smell and low torque is not because of an engine issue, it's because of a burnt clutch plate. The low oxygen level at high altitude coupled with the steep slopes you encountered forced you to slip the clutch. Excessive slipping while negotiating inclines overheated the clutch friction plate and flywheel. Since they were overheating, there wasn't enough friction between them and thus the clutch started slipping, leading to power loss. This also explains the burning smell.

The best solution here is to use the handbrake as much as possible while stopping and starting off on inclines and avoiding clutch slip as far as possible.
vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 10:01   #2984
BHPian

Hi,

Mine is Jan-16, T8 manual model with 96k on the ODO, recently I have also observed temperature difference in air coming out from vents, the air from driver side vent is warmer than the center console. However, the AC is working fine in Gurgaon as temp are touching 38-39 levels, I usually use AC in ECO mode & no complaints with the cooling of the cabin till now.

I haven't observed any whistling/humming sound or gas leak as of now. Are there any other sign of AC evaporator going kaput? With extended warranty expired couple of months back, this surely will be an added expense if it has gone wrong

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
Err.., I was either too quick in concluding this way or just probably forgot to touch wood after saying so I guess . The AC evaporator finally gave way last week. This time I was literally able to hear the gas leak on turning the AC on. So got the AC evaporator replaced, the SA agreed to the original 25% discount on spares and labour, the final bill was 10184 after discount (no discounts on the consumables though).

The symptoms for this failure: very low whistling/humming sound when the ac compressor is operating and there was a temperature difference between the air from the AC vents in the centre of the dashboard and the ones in the driver/passenger corner. The air from the centre vents was colder than the air from the vents in the either corners.
Old 14th April 2021, 15:07   #2985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gireesh View Post
Hi,
I would like to share this experience with everyone here and see if anyone could explain this behaviour of my TUV 300. Recently I went to Jhalori Pass in Himachal Pradesh, which is about 10,000 feet above sea level. As I approached this place, the car lost its torque and it was no longer possible to climb in second gear. Also, the smell of burning copper wire came in inside the cabin. Once I opened the bonnet, I could sense the parts were extremely hot, although the engine temperature gauge was showing normal level of heat. I stopped at several places and eventually made it to Jhalori Pass. The vehicle behaved normally after I climbed down to a lower altitude, but it has dented my confidence to take the car to high altitude locations. One service engineer from a Mahindra service centre said either low oxygen level in high altitude or adulterated fuel could be the reason. Is there anything I could do or get done while servicing the car next time to prevent this loss of torgue and burning smell in high altitude locations? The car is behaving normally in cities. I had traveled to Ladakh in TUV crossing altitudes as high as 17500 feet at some places, but then this problem did not occur. So I am not very sure about the low-oxygen explanation.

Thank you and regards,
Gireesh
At altitudes above, 8000 ft. due to scarce oxygen loss of power is quite normal, since the engine doesn’t get the required O2 for combustion. Especially in diesel motors the problem is more due to compression philosophy. It’s a normal tendency if you are stuck on a incline and the engine doesn’t produce the required power, you tend to accelerate more including too much use of the half clutch position. In such a condition, half burnt diesel smell coupled with overheating of the clutch is the reason behind. Furthermore, it depends how many kms old the engine was when you traveled to Ladakh and the present day, would suggest you to get the EGR cleaning done once.

Normally, Keeping the car in idle position with engine on at the start of the day in the mountains helps better performance of the engine, diesels once warmed up perform better in mountains. Also when stuck on an incline, raise the engine first and then you can engage the gear and get on. We experienced this at kunzum La with our 2.5L kms run Xylo, had a hard time crossing few inclines as the engine would give away the power when stuck.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed