Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2015, 09:53   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Got my car today. First drive was underwhelming. Deja vu of Tata Manza. Front passenger door rattles and speaker give phata hua spund. Fan screams badly. But the car is more drivable than MJDs in city.

I will be doing DEL-BOM-DEL soon in this car. That would give me a better idea about it.
Many congratulations on getting your car ntomer . Try lowering / raising the window glass pane and check if that eliminates the rattling sound. Speakers are not that bad as per my experience. What volume level while were you listening to the music when it started cracking?

the fan speed is too high even at level 1. Try adjusting the air vents. Keep all flaps completely open. If we are alone in the car, we tend to close the passenger side air vents, this increases the fan sound. Try various combinations.

Suggest you do the DEL-BOM-DEL trip after you have completed the run-in period of at least 1000 kms. Because on the highway invariably you will be revving to glory, which is not good for a new engine in the long term, just my two cents.

On a side note, today morning, while driving down to office, I had a "foot in mouth" situation similar to that faced by Nishant or Sandeep (cannot recollect now). I was just 200 metres away from my office waiting at the last red light, in morning peak hour traffic as usual. Since car was idling at red light, I thought why not activate the ESS (Electric Start Stop). Hence I pushed the button and it activated the system. As the car was in neutral and handbrake was applied, the engine stopped within 3 seconds. This brought a wide grin on my face. Then as the traffic ahead slowly started crawling, I pressed the clutch and the engine fired up, bringing second grin on my face. After crawling couple of metres ahead, I had to stop again, put the car in neutral apply the handbrake and the engine stopped. Third smile on my face.

Now the fun starts. As traffic ahead started inching forward, I pressed the clutch pedal, nothing happened. I frantically switched the ignition off, cranked the motor again nothing happened. I almost missed a heart beat. Waited for some time, ensured the car was in neutral, cranked again and this time the engine fired up, slotted the first gear and moved ahead. The motor cranked just in the nick of time, before cars started piling behind me and honking at me.

Now one thing is for sure. Unless this erratic behaviour of engine not firing up is sorted out or at least I come to know about the various parameters, which make the engine fire up or not, I am not going to touch the ESS button. May be if others have discovered when the engine refuses to fire up they can enlighten me and other TUV owners.
AutoIndian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 11:16   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
After crawling couple of metres ahead, I had to stop again, put the car in neutral apply the handbrake and the engine stopped. Third smile on my face.

Now the fun starts. As traffic ahead started inching forward, I pressed the clutch pedal, nothing happened. I frantically switched the ignition off, cranked the motor again nothing happened.
Did you reach 20 kmph speed after the first restart? I was told by the SA during my TD that the car should reach 20 kmph speed before it applies the ESS stop again. Based on the scenario you explained it looks like the fault is when the engine had stopped. On a lighter note, you might have to reconsider that third smile.
Old 9th December 2015, 11:32   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Did you reach 20 kmph speed after the first restart? I was told by the SA during my TD that the car should reach 20 kmph speed before it applies the ESS stop again. Based on the scenario you explained it looks like the fault is when the engine had stopped. On a lighter note, you might have to reconsider that third smile.

That's not the point. The engine stopped running that means the ESS was in play and it should have started the engine as well.

Keep a close watch on it Autoindian on empty roads before you try it in traffic again.
TaurusAl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 11:43   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Many congratulations on getting your car ntomer . Try lowering / raising the window glass pane and check if that eliminates the rattling sound. Speakers are not that bad as per my experience. What volume level while were you listening to the music when it started cracking?

the fan speed is too high even at level 1. Try adjusting the air vents. Keep all flaps completely open. If we are alone in the car, we tend to close the passenger side air vents, this increases the fan sound. Try various combinations.

Suggest you do the DEL-BOM-DEL trip after you have completed the run-in period of at least 1000 kms. Because on the highway invariably you will be revving to glory, which is not good for a new engine in the long term, just my two cents.

On a side note, today morning, while driving down to office, I had a "foot in mouth" situation similar to that faced by Nishant or Sandeep (cannot recollect now). I was just 200 metres away from my office waiting at the last red light, in morning peak hour traffic as usual. Since car was idling at red light, I thought why not activate the ESS (Electric Start Stop). Hence I pushed the button and it activated the system. As the car was in neutral and handbrake was applied, the engine stopped within 3 seconds. This brought a wide grin on my face. Then as the traffic ahead slowly started crawling, I pressed the clutch and the engine fired up, bringing second grin on my face. After crawling couple of metres ahead, I had to stop again, put the car in neutral apply the handbrake and the engine stopped. Third smile on my face.

Now the fun starts. As traffic ahead started inching forward, I pressed the clutch pedal, nothing happened. I frantically switched the ignition off, cranked the motor again nothing happened. I almost missed a heart beat. Waited for some time, ensured the car was in neutral, cranked again and this time the engine fired up, slotted the first gear and moved ahead. The motor cranked just in the nick of time, before cars started piling behind me and honking at me.

Now one thing is for sure. Unless this erratic behaviour of engine not firing up is sorted out or at least I come to know about the various parameters, which make the engine fire up or not, I am not going to touch the ESS button. May be if others have discovered when the engine refuses to fire up they can enlighten me and other TUV owners.
Dear AutoIndian,

You cannot say that the car is boring! LOL!!

Actually, during my test drives of the Scorpio and XUV, I always carried a small fear at the back of my mind - that something like this will happen and I will not know what to do! As and when I do own a car with this feature, I am going to study it in detail before using it. By default, I am going to keep it OFF!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 13:01   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Attaching snapshots from the owners manual for reference
Name:  ess1.png
Views: 4930
Size:  25.9 KB
Name:  ess2.png
Views: 4923
Size:  10.8 KB
Quote:
Since car was idling at red light, I thought why not activate the ESS (Electric Start Stop). Hence I pushed the button and it activated the system.
Based on what is quoted in the manual, your engine should not have shut down when you pressed the ESS switch (assuming that you were not moving towards the signal but you had already stopped at the signal) as you would not have crossed 2kmph in the current ignition cycle.

Why am I so confident about this? Tried this out in the TD cars in B2B traffic. When the car had stopped and I switched on ESS, the engine did not shut down. Only when I moved to the next signal and stopped, it shut down.

Quote:
I had to stop again, put the car in neutral apply the handbrake and the engine stopped. Third smile on my face.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-ess3.png
How long did you stop? Not sure what Mahindra's definition of long is. Can other owners add info around how long you stopped before the ESS failed to start the engine?
Old 9th December 2015, 15:43   #381
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Rajas Shirwaikar for sharing these pics!

He's designed a parcel tray without sacrificing the jump seats of his TUV300.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-unnamed-1.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-unnamed.jpg
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 16:38   #382
BHPian

Quote:
AutoIndian, I just recollected and thought of sharing. During my test drive of XUV, I was driving a W10 model and a similar thing had happened. The car refused to start on pressing the clutch and I remember the sales guy quickly pressing the start/stop switch to fire up the engine. Maybe it happens and that's how he was quick to react in traffic.

I have just booked a T8 Manual in silver avatar. Will be taking the delivery after the registration in 1st week of Jan. No discounts, but got accessories worth 10k.

Last edited by TaurusAl : 9th December 2015 at 16:51.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 10:26   #383
BHPian

Quote:

Nothing is so bad that I can't live with it, but the point is that one doesn't expect these niggles in a brand new car, these leave a bad taste. Anyways, I kinda expected it when I bought it, so no problems

Are TUV300 seat-covers and floor mats available in market? Or will I have to buy those from M&M showroom only?
Old 11th December 2015, 19:05   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

I briefly test drove a TUV300 from Zulaikha Motors at Velachery, Chennai, around 10 days ago. It was a T6 model, if I remember right.
I stand 6'4" tall, so I was really happy to find myself very comfortably seated inside - the first two rows offer so much legroom and spare room above the head. The headroom and seating position in the last row is the only sore point for a person of my height, but then, I knew what I was climbing into.
The throttle response seemed a bit muted, setting off from standstill. I drive a nippy Nissan compact SUV in the US right now, so I was a bit put off initially. The driving position is a commanding one, as the review states. The sound insulation from the maddening Velachery traffic was complete. I must have driven maybe 3-4 kilometres and then sat in the second row while someone else TD'd it.
The overall package is fit for me - the very tall guy who doesn't exceed 80 kmph on Indian highways, who covets high ground clearance from his vehicles.
(I have come to think about it - the highways in the North-Eastern US have a speed limit varying between 80 kmph - 110 kmph approx; how do Indians drive at 100 kmph+ and live to tell the tale? I never feel safe when I exceed 80 kmph on Indian roads. No offence meant, and no 'firangi' attitude meant to be thrown here!)
Old 11th December 2015, 19:15   #385
BHPian

Update :
I haven't had any major issues with the tank in the last 1 month of ownership, except for the faulty resonator and squeaking noise from the clutch, both of which have been resolved. I've visited M&M service centre twice to rectify the above mentioned issues and both the times I've waited for minimum two hours.
I'm very happy with TUV300's performance in the city. However, on the highway, I strongly feel it lacks power. The engine struggles after 80kmph speed and engine noise is high at higher speed. I didn't feel this in the initial weeks of driving. I was probably very excited about driving a SUV and I felt everything was perfect about it.
Mangalore being a coastal area, the weather is mostly hot and humid through out the year. Unfortunately the car AC takes a long time to cool the second row during hot days. Have to compromise with the absence of rear ac vents.I love the bluetooth feature. The control switches mounted on the steering wheel makes it easier to make/receive calls, change music and increase/decrease volume. No complains about road handling.

If powerful engine, plush interiors, perfect fit and finish is what you are looking for in a car, this is absolutely not for you. But for generous space and traveling on bad roads this one is a real battle tank ! No doubt at all !! I wanted a compact SUV which would be easy to drive with good ground clearance, good amount of space, decent interiors and which could tread on any type of road. So TUV300 perfectly fits my criteria and I am a happy and proud TUV300 owner.

Here are few pictures of TUV300 taken in the past month. The last picture is a tribute to Jeep Grand Cherokee and a wonderful man !!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-photo-1.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-photo-3.png  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-photo-3.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-photo-4.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-photo-21.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-photo-11.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-photo-41.jpg  

Titanium is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 21:41   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium View Post

If powerful engine, plush interiors, perfect fit and finish is what you are looking for in a car, this is absolutely not for you. But for generous space and traveling on bad roads this one is a real battle tank ! No doubt at all !! I wanted a compact SUV which would be easy to drive with good ground clearance, good amount of space, decent interiors and which could tread on any type of road. So TUV300 perfectly fits my criteria and I am a happy and proud TUV300 owner.
​Thanks for sharing your updates on TUV. I'm sure over the time we all will come to know our vehicle very well.

I'm on a long drive with my TUV.. Mumbai-Ahemdabad-Udaipur-Jaipur-Agra-JimCorbet-Nainital-Kasauni and back. I have reached till Jaipur (my home town) and I have loved the vehicle so far. I haven't crossed 100 kmph since it is fully loaded (4 Adults 3 kids along with luggage on roof rack) and my RedBull performed impressive.

I guess I utilized the last row in best possible way . Placed two bags in between two seats of last row and placed mattress over it.. My daughter (six year old) and her friend both had the most comfortable ride ..they slept with pillow under their head with quilt over them.

Sharing few pic's taken from phone.

Leaving for Agra, tomorrow morning!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20151211073430.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20151211073637.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151209_142359.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151210_074931.jpg  

sandev is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 21:46   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium
I'm very happy with TUV300's performance in the city. However, on the highway, I strongly feel it lacks power. The engine struggles after 80kmph speed and engine noise is high at higher speed.
Titanium,
Thank you for your update. It was a little disheartening to read about the lack of power of TUV. Did you find it hard to cruise at 90-100kmph? When did you feel the lack of power - while overtaking?

Great pic of the man and the machine. It's indeed pretty hard!
narenteam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 23:18   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Nothing is so bad that I can't live with it, but the point is that one doesn't expect these niggles in a brand new car, these leave a bad taste. Anyways, I kinda expected it when I bought it, so no problems
with you. We don't want even the slightest of niggles in our new cars. Hopefully these small niggles get addressed in due course or at least during the first service.

Quote:
Are TUV300 seat-covers and floor mats available in market? Or will I have to buy those from M&M showroom only?
Seat covers and floor mats definitely available aftermarket here at least in Pune, should be the same case in your place as well.

Quote:
I'm very happy with TUV300's performance in the city. However, on the highway, I strongly feel it lacks power. The engine struggles after 80kmph speed and engine noise is high at higher speed.
Could you please elaborate the conditions? How loaded was the car? 3/4/5 occupants, luggage etc? Did you try to upshift in the power band (1500-2250 rpm)? In fifth gear 2250 rpm corresponds to 90 kmph and 100 kmph comes @ 2500 rpm and there should be enough grunt at this rpm.[/quote]

Quote:
Here are few pictures of TUV300 taken in the past month. The last picture is a tribute to Jeep Grand Cherokee and a wonderful man !!
Nice pictures there. What is that location (seashore) in the first picture and the temple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandev View Post
​I'm on a long drive with my TUV.. Mumbai-Ahemdabad-Udaipur-Jaipur-Agra-JimCorbet-Nainital-Kasauni and back. I have reached till Jaipur (my home town) and I have loved the vehicle so far. I haven't crossed 100 kmph since it is fully loaded (4 Adults 3 kids along with luggage on roof rack) and my RedBull performed impressive.
That is one heck of an itinerary, feeling jealous of you that you are getting an opportunity to drive your brand new TUV on such a long trip. All the best for your trip and wish you a happy journey. Are you going to do night driving? The luggage on the roof rack seems to be a perfect fit.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 15:37   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I have just booked a T8 Manual in silver avatar. Will be taking the delivery after the registration in 1st week of Jan. No discounts, but got accessories worth 10k.
Congrats TaurusAI. What accessories did you get?
Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
The overall package is fit for me - the very tall guy who doesn't exceed 80 kmph on Indian highways, who covets high ground clearance from his vehicles
Should I say welcome to the TUV club or is it too early? Do take a longer test drive before you finalize as it will help you understand the ride & handling a little better.
Quote:
The engine struggles after 80kmph speed and engine noise is high at higher speed.
Sad to hear that Titanium but are you keeping the tank in the 1500-3000 RPM range? I have driven from Mangalore - Murudeshwar once and based on what I recollect, its a 2 lane highway where you dont have a lot of straight open stretches. If this is still the case, its possible that you are trying to floor the accelerator for quick overtakes and hence find the engine lacking punch.
Quote:
Have to compromise with the absence of rear ac vents
This is a big miss from Mahindra
Quote:
Great pics and hope you enjoy your tank to the maximum! Do let us know the FE that your tank is delivering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandev View Post
​I'm on a long drive with my TUV.. Mumbai-Ahemdabad-Udaipur-Jaipur-Agra-JimCorbet-Nainital-Kasauni and back.
I envy you sandev! Could you let us know the FE that the tank is delivering on these long runs as well as city driving?
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 16:23   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Should I say welcome to the TUV club or is it too early? Do take a longer test drive before you finalize as it will help you understand the ride & handling a little better.
Hey, thank you! I am not decided yet on when to return to India for good. When I do so in 1-2 years, I believe that the Tank will serve me right.
You're right that I ought to test it more comprehensively before I can understand it truly. It's just that I practically walked into the showroom unplanned. I was lucky I even got to TD it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks