Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2015, 16:38   #391
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Had to visit Mahindra showroom today to get the Xylo's faulty remote lock siren (make- Crosslink) replaced which was installed as an add on accessory, as H4(ABS) variant does not come with an OEM keyless entry feature though the center locking is present.
Came across a fabulous TUV 300 T8+ Molten Orange with Armour kit. Looked stunning, there is also a Quanto standing besides it, let pictures do the talking.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_0855.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_0857.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_0859.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_0860.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_0863.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_0865.jpg  

wrongturn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 18:23   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Had to visit Mahindra showroom today to get the Xylo's faulty remote lock siren (make- Crosslink) replaced which was installed as an add on accessory, as H4(ABS) variant does not come with an OEM keyless entry feature though the center locking is present.
Came across a fabulous TUV 300 T8+ Molten Orange with Armour kit. Looked stunning, there is also a Quanto standing besides it, let pictures do the talking.
Thank you for sharing the pics of the accessorized TUV wrongturn. To be honest this one looks gaudy and too much in your face (no offence to anyone please). Some subtle changes like the one shared in previous "Next Gen Bolero" thread looked far better.(refer below)

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-tuvremapped.jpg
Old 12th December 2015, 19:30   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thank you for sharing the pics of the accessorized TUV wrongturn. To be honest this one looks gaudy and too much in your face (no offence to anyone please). Some subtle changes like the one shared in previous "Next Gen Bolero" thread looked far better.(refer below)

Attachment 1449506
TUV 300 would have looked so much better if it was a full blown proper SUV maybe similar or a size larger than even Scorpio, that sub 4 meter squeeze didn't do any justice to its character and overall looks which IMHO are still very good but reminds you of that guy in the gym with big muscles and short stature, no offense to anybody.
wrongturn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 00:53   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandev View Post
​Thanks for sharing your updates on TUV. I'm sure over the time we all will come to know our vehicle very well.
Leaving for Agra, tomorrow morning!
You are absolutely right Sandev, once the vehicle covers 3000 Kms and after the first service we'll get a better idea of the tank. Until now, it has been great though. Your Redbull's pictures are great as always. Nice shots ! Have a safe and wonderful trip !

Quote:
Originally Posted by narenteam View Post
Titanium,
Thank you for your update. It was a little disheartening to read about the lack of power of TUV. Did you find it hard to cruise at 90-100kmph? When did you feel the lack of power - while overtaking?
Great pic of the man and the machine. It's indeed pretty hard!
Thanks Naren. That picture was shot few days after the Jeep had joined our family.
Well, I can't exactly say that it was hard to cruise between 90-100kmph, but I felt that the pickup was pretty low than expected. There wasn't any problem while overtaking.

Quote:
Could you please elaborate the conditions? How loaded was the car? 3/4/5 occupants, luggage etc? Did you try to upshift in the power band (1500-2250 rpm)? In fifth gear 2250 rpm corresponds to 90 kmph and 100 kmph comes @ 2500 rpm and there should be enough grunt at this rpm.
Hi AutoIndian. It was just me and my sister driving from Mangalore to Udupi without any luggage. I had upshifted in the power band 1500 rpm - 2250 rpm. In 5th gear at 2250 rpm, I felt that the NVH level was on higher side. Lack of pickup could be due to low tyre pressure too. In the first few highway trips until 1000 Kms, I didn't drive much beyond 80 kmph speed. Even when I hit 100 kmph, it was only for a few seconds. But in the last highway trip, I drove at 100 kmph( 5th gear at 2500 rpm) for a longer time and I heard the engine noise creeping in. However, being a diesel engine this may be normal too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian
Nice pictures there. What is that location (seashore) in the first picture and the temple?
Thanks, the first picture is of Tannirbavi beach, Mangalore. The second picture is of Sri Durgaparameshwari Temple, Nandikoor(Padubidri) which is located in Udupi district.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Sad to hear that Titanium but are you keeping the tank in the 1500-3000 RPM range? I have driven from Mangalore - Murudeshwar once and based on what I recollect, its a 2 lane highway where you dont have a lot of straight open stretches. If this is still the case, its possible that you are trying to floor the accelerator for quick overtakes and hence find the engine lacking punch.
Great pics and hope you enjoy your tank to the maximum! Do let us know the FE that your tank is delivering.
Thanks RJ. That's nice to know that you've visited Murudeshwar too. The national highway between Mangalore to Kundapur ( NH 66 formerly known as NH 17) is a four lane highway now. You can easily drive at 100 Kmph on this stretch. But at some places it does turn into 2 lanes due to road repair work. You might have driven on this stretch before the 4 lane was constructed.
TUV300 performs absolutely great/perfect until 80 kmph speed at 5th gear. But when you rev the engine beyond that, the performance is satisfactory. I've never lugged the engine and have downshifted respectively while decreasing the speed. I might have got a FE around 11 kmpl inside the city and 15 kmpl on the highway. Have attached a picture of NH 66 ( between Udupi - Mangalore) and the instrument cluster showing speed at 5th gear. It was clicked 3 weeks back. Sorry for the poor picture quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-image.jpg  

Titanium is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 01:17   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
I drove at 100 kmph( 5th gear at 2500 rpm) for a longer time and I heard the engine noise creeping in. However, being a diesel engine this may be normal too.
you cant compare this against a petrol or even a 4 cylinder diesel as this is a 3 pot engine. Noise will be higher but if its as bad as what you and captain rex have mentioned, then it might be a good idea to explore additional damping. Did you get under body coating? If not, you could get that and one of its 'claimed' benefits is road noise reduction but wont help with engine noise.
Quote:
TUV300 performs absolutely great/perfect until 80 kmph speed at 5th gear. But when you rev the engine beyond that, the performance is satisfactory.
I guess you meant 'not satisfactory'. I haven’t got my car yet and you already have me thinking about remaps
Quote:
FE around 11 kmpl inside the city and 15 kmpl on the highway
Now that FE is very similar to what Captain Rex has posted on his thread. Wonder how Autoindian is managing 14 in city with 100% AC.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 01:55   #396
Senior - BHPian

I saw one in Delhi which was black with white roof. I LOVE the TUV's rear side view - the front view is something I abhor. I think the TUV is what should've been launched instead of the Quanto!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 04:53   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been reading on and off about remaps and tuning boxes on the forum and have always been fascinated by the way you can tune software to change hardware performance (not something new for all those folks who swear by Cyanogenmod & custom ROMs). Based on the feedback from Titanium & Captain Rex regarding the lack of power after 2500 RPM, started looking at the power - torque characteristics of the Innova and compared that with the Tank (not apples to apples but still pretty close) based on the following data available:

1. 84 BHP power at 3750 RPM. For easier math, I assumed this is available at 3500 RPM
2. Peak torque of 210 NM available between 1500 - 2250 RPM. I assumed that peak of 210 will be delivered at 2500 RPM.
3. Studied the XUV 500 power - torque curve to try and simulate the TUV curve

Based on the above, here is how the numbers play out:
Name:  comp1.png
Views: 6270
Size:  13.6 KB
Based on this, the big difference is not in the power per tonne that is delivered but from what RPM it is delivered. The Innova starts pulling post 2K RPM and does not loose steam till 4K RPM where as the TUV does not have any power post 3.5K RPM.

But what we are really worried about is the power delivery in the 5th gear when we are cruising at 80/90 KMPH. This is where gear ratio comes into play. TUV has a gearing of 0.79 for the 5th Gear (source - owners manual) and I was unable to get the exact gearing of the Innova and hence have assumed the same. But the difference here is that the Innova power figure measured by race dynamics is at the wheel whereas the TUV figures are not. Hence if we account for this difference, the power delivery changes to:

Name:  comp2.png
Views: 6340
Size:  13.8 KB
What we observe is that the power per tonne delivered by both these vehicles are very similar across their operating band but the TUV on paper packs a punch from 2.5K - 3.5K RPM whereas the Innova goes on to well over 4K RPM thereby allowing you to stretch its legs. While in the lower gears this difference of 1K RPM in the power band does not make a lot of difference but once we hit 5th gear, this increased power band does make its presence felt and this could be the reason why some of the owners feel that the TUV lacks the punch on the highway.

Well, after doing all the reading about gear ratios and power - torque curves, I have only managed to state what most people & BHP official review has said:
1. The TUV needs more power
2. It needs a taller 5th gear/6th gear

My biggest take away from all of this analysis - you need to change the power - torque curve of the TUV and spread it out a little more, which means only one thing remap! I sincerely hope mahindra comes up with one of their own else owners might have to root their ECU and flash that new code!

P.S: All of the above is based on few hours of reading & understanding. If you see an error, all blame lies with wiki & YouTube!

Last edited by procrj : 13th December 2015 at 05:10.
procrj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 12:46   #398
BHPian

I think everyone is getting different experience from their Tank.

My Tank has done 3900 kms. First service has been done, Vacuum modulator has been changed and a Isolator has been added. Cost of 1st Service was Rs. 2300/-.

Fuel Economy hovers around 14.7 to 14.9 kmpl.
i started going above 2000 rpm after 1st Service and I feel the tank has enough power till 120 kmph (mine certainly does) and doesn't give any tantrum to reach that speed. At 120 kmph the tachometer is at 3000 rpm. Post 120 the progress is very very slow.
nishant kar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 15:17   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant kar View Post
Fuel Economy hovers around 14.7 to 14.9 kmpl
Looks like TUV owners from non coastal regions of India are getting better FE when compared to those in coastal regions. I understand that FE for diesel engines increase during the winter but based on available data, the difference is ~2.5 kmpl. Not sure if weather can make this big a difference

While drooling at the Brabus 700 G63 6x6, I stumbled upon the below pics of the G63 and I think Mahindra should have provided matte black armour kit with similar front bumper & wheel arch extensions for the Tank

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-g63gb1.jpg
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-g63gb2.jpg

Source - Masonry Gonos Black Edition G63

Last edited by procrj : 13th December 2015 at 15:18.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 16:55   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that FE is very similar to what Captain Rex has posted on his thread. Wonder how Autoindian is managing 14 in city with 100% AC.
Hey procrj, Most of my driving has been limited to home to office runs and back. My timing was such that I used to beat the morning traffic. Most of the time my onward journey would be around 12pm and my return journey would be after 10pm, when traffic would be sparse. Besides this when in traffic I use the diesel torque to get going, I barely use the accelerator. I use engine braking as much as possible. I do some preemptive driving i.e. if the signal is going to turn red, I dont accelerate to get through, rather I let the car coast along and then decelerate and come to a stop at the signal. Also I follow other fuel saving tips, maintain correct tyre pressure, now filling diesel from Shell bunks only, never drive with window glasses rolled down etc.

I think all the above contribute to a decent FE even for city driving with 100% AC.
AutoIndian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 19:55   #401
BHPian

Quote:
you cant compare this against a petrol or even a 4 cylinder diesel as this is a 3 pot engine. Noise will be higher but if its as bad as what you and captain rex have mentioned, then it might be a good idea to explore additional damping. Did you get under body coating? If not, you could get that and one of its 'claimed' benefits is road noise reduction but wont help with engine noise.
I completely agree with you RJ. I cannot compare TUV with a petrol or 4 cylinder diesel engine. I haven't done the underbody coating. Will surely implement your advice soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj
I guess you meant 'not satisfactory'. I haven’t got my car yet and you already have me thinking about remaps Now that FE is very similar to what Captain Rex has posted on his thread. Wonder how Autoindian is managing 14 in city with 100% AC.
You are right, it should be 'not satisfactory'. Traffic conditions and driving style influences FE. The difference could be due to this reason.

There has been a huge debate about TUV's power and performance on highway since the time of it's launch. It actually depends on your usage. If you are driving the car 75% in the city, then this is a perfect compact SUV. Even for long highway trips with family( including elderly people and children) where you generally wouldn't want to drive beyond 80-90 Kmph, this car performs good. But you do feel the absence of power when you are driving alone on 4 lane highways, when you can actually drive at 3 digit speed. Other owners are quite happy with it's highway performance, but I feel a 4 cylinder diesel engine would have made justice to this amazing machine.
Titanium is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 20:30   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
It actually depends on your usage. If you are driving the car 75% in the city, then this is a perfect compact SUV. Even for long highway trips with family( including elderly people and children) where you generally wouldn't want to drive beyond 80-90 Kmph, this car performs good. But you do feel the absence of power when you are driving alone on 4 lane highways, when you can actually drive at 3 digit speed. Other oite happy with it's highway performance, but I feel a 4 cylinder diesel engine would have made justice to this amazing machine.
You have hit the nail on its head Titanium as far as the TUVs target customer base is concerned. My 80% driving is within the city, so the good low end torque, shorter turning radius, commanding road presence (ability to see over the roof tops of other cars) is a big boon in the city. The balance 20% driving that I do on the highways, I am always accompanied by my family, which includes my elderly parents, two kids and my spouse. Their comfort, convenience and ability to enjoy the trip is more important than overtaking the fast moving car or getting into drag racing on the highway. Gone are the days when I would travel alone in the car for long distances, when one would normally tend to do triple digit speeds. The Innova in which I did 18K kms in one year, I can recollect only 2-3 I instances when I crossed the triple digit speeds, that too only on the expressway or 4 laned highway. So the TUV made the perfect sense to me.D

If Mahindra were to plonk the 2.2 litre mHawk engine in the TUV, then obviously they would have lost on the excise duty benefits and the TUV would have been costlier by at least a lakh and a half on road. If they wanted to give a 4 cylinder engine and still remain in the lower excise duty slab, they would have to develop this new 1.5L, 4 cylinder engine ground's up, which would have not made this project viable or the break-even period would have been too long. Hence they chose the option, which made more business sense.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 20:51   #403
BANNED

Quote:

I think all the above contribute to a decent FE even for city driving with 100% AC.
Hello AutoIndian,
This is a really useful post - if your driving habits have resulted in your achieving significant improvement in the TUV's FE, it is good to know.
I too believe that our driving habits contribute significantly to the vehicle's FE. Our 10 yr old Scorpio gives us over 13 kms/L on the highway (most of our driving is touring, I should add). This is with regular replacement of the scavenge air filter & C/C oil filter(and C/C oil) at more frequent intervals than the manual suggests (app. 15000 km against 40000 km for the air filter and app 5000km for the oil & oil filter).
This is apart from the observable improvement in drivability after the initial running-in/bedding period of the boundary lubrication components (piston-ring/liner interface, journal surfaces), usually between 1500-2500 kms from new.

Last edited by shashanka : 13th December 2015 at 21:00. Reason: Incomplete post
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 20:29   #404
BHPian

Quote:
If Mahindra were to plonk the 2.2 litre mHawk engine in the TUV, then obviously they would have lost on the excise duty benefits and the TUV would have been costlier by at least a lakh and a half on road.
That is correct. I travel mostly with my family too on the highways. Their safety and comfort is indeed more important. I am not a speed fanatic but sometimes when I drive alone on four lane highways, I do hit triple digit speed just for few minutes.
Old 15th December 2015, 12:03   #405
BHPian

was supposed to get TD of 8AMT version today but it has been rescheduled to tomorrow morning. That too, after numerous calling, sms's to sales rep at silver jubilee.
Same with maruti ace kudale guys. ertiga td was promised on monday (after many many rescheduling - 3+ times) but again rescheduled for today.
this whole TD has been a frustrating experience. Never expected such a thing from maruti.
I have made up my mind for TUV. just that I need a TD of AMT before signing check.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks