Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2015, 14:51   #436
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

My boss is the US some years ago bought a brand new Nissan Murano when it was launched. He always said that it was a brave decision by him to "buy a car in it's first model year"

That was when I first heard this concept. It actually makes a lot of sense, really.

Especially in the Indian manufacturers context. The Japanese, Koreans and the Germans are launching tried and tested cars in India. Still, they get some things wrong.

On the other hand, TATA and Mahindra products are first used by us Indians. All the more reason to avoid the 1st year of production. This from a guy like me who owns the 2009 Nano

Anyway, I hope not to have offended any of the owners of TUV. I'll admit though, I plan to wait for a year more before buying the TUV. I enjoyed the test drive, just want to play safe with the reliability factor.
john doe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 16:00   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
On the other hand, TATA and Mahindra products are first used by us Indians. All the more reason to avoid the 1st year of production. This from a guy like me who owns the 2009 Nano

Anyway, I hope not to have offended any of the owners of TUV. I'll admit though, I plan to wait for a year more before buying the TUV. I enjoyed the test drive, just want to play safe with the reliability factor.
No offence mate. When I booked the TUV, I took a calculated risk. I was prepared for initial niggles or teething troubles whatever you may like to call it. I had the option of going for a tried a tested new Innova, but then it would be sunset within a year, whereas TUV would remain in the market for at least 5 years (if not 10). I had a gut feeling that M&M might have applied all the lessons that they learned from the XUV experience. Hence TUV would not have at least major mechanical issues (like grinding brakes, power steering failures, drive belt snapping due to horn getting entangled in it etc, which were very common in XUV). Since I bought the TUV, my hypothesis is coming out to be true, because form the various owners, I have not yet heard any major mechanical issues.
AutoIndian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 16:40   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
You lose out on novelty, initial introductory cost. Just compare the XUV's price or even your own Nano when it was launched to what it is now. Also, playing safe in life is good, but you can never predict when it is going to be too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I had a gut feeling that M&M might have applied all the lessons that they learned from the XUV experience. Hence TUV would not have at least major mechanical issues (like grinding brakes, power steering failures, drive belt snapping due to horn getting entangled in it etc, which were very common in XUV). Since I bought the TUV, my hypothesis is coming out to be true, because form the various owners, I have not yet heard any major mechanical issues.
To add to that, TUV is based on many tried and tested platforms of Mahindra like the Scorpio (Chasis) and the Quanto (Many Mechanical Parts). So it is wrong to say that the TUV is entirely a new car. Yes it is much different from the ones I mentioned here.

Both these cars (Scorpio and Quanto) have done fairly well in terms of keeping the niggles low and TUV wont be any different IMO.

Last edited by TaurusAl : 23rd December 2015 at 16:45.
TaurusAl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 08:23   #439
BHPian

Has anybody used the Club Mahindra gift voucher received with the TUV?
Old 24th December 2015, 10:54   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Has anybody used the Club Mahindra gift voucher received with the TUV?
You mean the Top Gear gift coupons, right? I never even looked at them after these were handed over to me at the time of car delivery. Those are pathetic, to say the least . I still wonder why the companies indulge in such promotions at all. Instead of the Domino's discount coupons or the Club Mahindra resort discounts, they should give free pick-up and drop facility for the first three free servicings or give complimentary car wash coupons or give some free/ discounted car detailing.

Forget all the above, they should expand their RSA network and give prompt service to customers stuck up in the middle of nowhere due to vehicle malfunction (as recently has happened with Titanium). That will help bring in a lot of goodwill.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 11:57   #441
BHPian

A quick update ...just returned from my 4463 km trip. This includes Nainital's hill drive, Delhi's traffic, Yamuna express way and of course my fav. NH 8.

The Route was:
Mumbai-SambharLake-Jaipur-Agra-Jim Corbet-Nainital-Delhi-Sambhar Lake-Jaipur-Ahemdabad-Mumbai.

I'll give **** (4 star) to my RedBull. It performed awesome all the way. Along with 4 adults and 3 kids. With almost 8 - 10 luggage (big bags and small suitcase on carrier and inside the vehicle).

I'm falling in love with it!!!
sandev is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 12:11   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandev View Post
A quick update ...just returned from my 4463 km trip. This includes Nainital's hill drive, Delhi's traffic, Yamuna express way and of course my fav. NH 8.

The Route was:
Mumbai-SambharLake-Jaipur-Agra-Jim Corbet-Nainital-Delhi-Sambhar Lake-Jaipur-Ahemdabad-Mumbai.

I'll give **** (4 star) to my RedBull. It performed awesome all the way. Along with 4 adults and 3 kids. With almost 8 - 10 luggage (big bags and small suitcase on carrier and inside the vehicle).

Thanks for this update. This is very re-assuring for us new owners. Going so much distance in a car is my dream. Hope my work permits that soon.

Have you clicked any snaps along the way of your tank fully loaded? It will be a delight to see. Also, I assume you have rated it 4/5. Can you tell us on which aspect you have deducted 1 point ? Always good to know the negatives.

And here's the famous question, what mileage did you get ?
Old 24th December 2015, 13:55   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Thanks for this update. This is very re-assuring for us new owners. Going so much distance in a car is my dream. Hope my work permits that soon.

Have you clicked any snaps along the way of your tank fully loaded? It will be a delight to see. Also, I assume you have rated it 4/5. Can you tell us on which aspect you have deducted 1 point ? Always good to know the negatives.

And here's the famous question, what mileage did you get ?
I'll share more pictures and details as I get time in coming days. But for meanwhile, here's few pictures (taken by phone camera) just to give you idea of luggage carried.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151223_141335.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151223_140942.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151223_140955.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151223_141031.jpg

Cornering on ghats (as compared to Punto - My previous car, I know it should not be compared ) has made me deduct 1 point out of 5.

And now regarding Mileage...yet to calculate. However I feel it gave around 13-14 KMPL. Though it gave above 16 KMPL on Highways for sure.

And here's one teaser picture of my RedBull shot at Sambhar Lake.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-cf1_0217.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th December 2015 at 09:29. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post please. Thanks!
sandev is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 20:28   #444
BHPian

Quote:

And here's one teaser picture of my RedBull shot at Sambhar Lake.
Wonderful Shot of the Bull.

Looking at upgrading to TUV.

Have taken the Test Drives. Everything seems to be falling in place until the latest test drive with my family to make them feel the new vehicle before booking it. Major question they had was the 2nd row seat comfort on long drives? Due to the upright position of the back rest...

This would be the primary commute on long drives.... So the comfort of the 2nd row has to be taken into consideration. Are there any options where we can increase the comfort using seat covers???

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th December 2015 at 09:29. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 24th December 2015, 22:58   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Route was:
Vow!!! Many congratulations on completing such a humungous trip . Hats off to your courage for taking a brand new car on such a long trip, that too whose credentials are yet to be proven. I wouldn't ever dare this in my entire life. Nevertheless your flawless trip endorses the fact that TUV can take the mantle of a reliable workhorse from the Scorpio.

Quote:
Cornering on ghats (as compared to Punto - My previous car, I know it should not be compared ) has made me deduct 1 point out of 5.
That is sheer injustice. You cannot expect a ladder on frame built, high CG vehicle to perform like a hot, corner craving hatch, Punto. In that case the Punto, which cannot carry tonnes of luggage/ passengers as the TUV, which cannot gobble potholes/bumps as they never existed, which cannot tower over all the cars around won't be deserving even half a star. We cannot compare apples to oranges.

Quote:
I'll share more pictures and details as I get time in coming days. But for meanwhile, here's few pictures (taken by phone camera) just to give you idea of luggage carried. And here's one teaser picture of my RedBull shot at Sambhar Lake.
Fabulous pictures there, especially the last one of your RedBull shot at Sambhar Lake, simply stunning. You seem to be obsessed with your luggage carrier (just kidding). It has stolen the limelight from the TUV as such. Please publish the complete travelogue with loads of pictures

Quote:
And now regarding Mileage...yet to calculate. However I feel it gave around 13-14 KMPL. Though it gave above 16 KMPL on Highways for sure.
Mileage in the range of 14 kmpl is also very good given the fact that the car was loaded with 4 adults and 3 kids. Moreover the luggage over the roof top would contribute in significant drag and adversely impact the mileage

Edit: Did you get your first service done when you crossed the 3000 km milestone? If not then you should get it done immediately. By the way I crossed the 2000 km milestone today after 1.5 months of ownership. Car has seen only home-office-home runs. Hoping to venture out on short trips in the coming days.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 24th December 2015 at 23:02.
Old 25th December 2015, 01:12   #446
BHPian

Quote:

The Route was:

That's one heck of a trip. How did the second row passengers held up? Did they complain about any discomfort? I'm asking this because the second row seat is too upright for my liking and thought it wouldn't be comfortable for long journeys.
Old 25th December 2015, 07:45   #447
BHPian

SOS - TUV300 Engine Check light on - Stuck on NH8

Hi,

I am on a Delhi-Mumbai drive in my 1245 KMs done TUV. Suddenly I noticed the engine check light is on, though car is behaving normally.

What should I do? Anybody has Mahindra helpline number?

Regards

Nitin
Old 25th December 2015, 07:55   #448
BHPian

Contact Mahindra roadside assistance @ 1800 102 7006
Old 25th December 2015, 07:55   #449
BHPian

Re: SOS - TUV300 Engine Check light on - Stuck on NH8

1800 425 1624

http://helpcontact.in/536

This is what I Googled and found. Hope its of use to you.
Old 25th December 2015, 08:02   #450
BHPian

Re: SOS - TUV300 Engine Check light on - Stuck on NH8

Take a break for sometime and switch the car off, start again and check if the CEL comes on again.

Most Viewed