Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2016, 15:33   #571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Autoindian, many thanks for this detailed update right when you are sitting there.

Now my TUV does not show a recall for FDM. Does this mean mine won't break down because of this? Or do I still get the system checked? In such a scenario I am helpless as the technician is not willing to touch the FDM without the recall mention on their system.

I'll be really grateful if you discuss the case such as mine and update if possible.
On the way to service centre now. Give me your chassis number. Will get it checked in their DMS system. If their system does not show replacement parts for your car then you need not worry much. Your car might have already been fitted with improvised part.
Old 16th January 2016, 16:38   #572
Senior - BHPian

Right now at the workshop. I asked my SA if the air filter has been cleaned. To my utter surprise he mentioned that it is not a part of the scheduled maintenance. Need to check the owner's manual to confirm this.

The FDM module was out of stock at this workshop, so they have send their person to Silver Jubilee Motors to get the part. Good that they made this arrangement otherwise I would have required to visit the workshop one more time. Right now the fuel tank has been removed. Sharing below two pictures. First one is the fuel tank. In the second one the white plastic circular part that you see at the centre with a connector and two pipes is the FDM. It goes completely inside the fuel tank. When the new FDM will be brought in I will share more pictures.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160116_161805.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160116_161830.jpg

One good thing I observed is that not just the bonnet sides and seats are covered with protective cloth but also the gear lever knob in order to prevent it from getting soiled, nice thought. Refer the picture below.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160116_162111.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 16:55   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirvoicar View Post
I took delivery of my TUV300 (T8 Manual Shift) on 05.11.2015.
Hi,
I liked the looks and the stance of TUV300.

I have few queries:

Is TUV300 comfortable for long highway journeys of 300 to 600 km on good roads? I am asking about noise, vibrations, steering efforts, clutch efforts and body roll. How shall be the fatigue levels the driver and the passangers, compared to a sedan? I cuurently drive SX4.

Secondly, what do you think about car sickness in TUV300 compared to a petrol sedan? My daughter is little sensitive about this.

I am a sedate driver and drive at around 80 - 100 kmph.

Based on your feedback, I may consider TUV300 as my next car.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 17:14   #574
Senior - BHPian

Here is another picture of the FDM being taken out from the fuel tank. This picture was taken by my Service Advisor and shared with me on whatssapp.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img20160116wa0012.jpg

Edit: @Rahul Bhalgat, I saw your private message that you sent to me few days back. You had asked me the same queries that you have asked above. Give me some time. Will try to answer them tonight

Last edited by AutoIndian : 16th January 2016 at 17:17.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 18:19   #575
BHPian

Is TUV300 comfortable for long highway journeys of 300 to 600 km on good roads? I am asking about noise, vibrations, steering efforts, clutch efforts and body roll. How shall be the fatigue levels the driver and the passangers, compared to a sedan? I cuurently drive SX4.

My drive to Goa (600 Km R) was wonderful (apart from the incident) The highway drive from Mum-Pune expressway was a breeze, further on the entire stretch was very comfortable almost like a high powered petrol sedan. The seating being very high (at level with Toyota Fortuner, all other cars/SUV's are lower) you almost feel like you own the road. The ORVM are huge and give a very good view of the vehicles behind. Though I had my radio ON intermittently the NVH levels are sedan like. I feel TUV300 is not really a JEEP like rough vehicle. The steering is effortless, I like the chunky humps they have given at 10 O'clock and 2 O'clock position, thus giving a perfect grip. The TUV300 has a higher centre of gravity, you need to take the speed breakers at optimal speed and straight ON. If you go obliquely, the entire car rocks a bit. The passengers wont like that. The most enjoyable part was driving on the Chorla Ghat. The exclusive static bending lights and the steering performed brilliantly (Guy's you will love such situations)It really gives a clear picture of the (edge of the) road ahead while taking turns. If you maintain a steady speed you will not feel any body roll at all. I was the solo driver during the 1200 km return drive to Goa. I wasn't tired.

Secondly, what do you think about car sickness in TUV300 compared to a petrol sedan? My daughter is little sensitive about this.

I suppose, this is a medical issue, Try taking frequent breaks just to feel the air. You need to try different distances, but I suggest you keep medication handy.As far as the TUV300 is concerned the cabin is noise free (no wind noise too) The vehicle does not have any characteristics of a diesel SUV when in the cabin.

You are my type, but I did push the car to 110-120 at some stretches.At most times I was at 90 Kmph-100 Kmph on the highway.

Based on your feedback, I may consider TUV300 as my next car.[/quote]
Sirvoicar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 18:47   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
On the way to service centre now. Give me your chassis number. Will get it checked in their DMS system.
I PMed you my chassis as well as the registration number.

Quote:
Right now at the workshop. I asked my SA if the air filter has been cleaned. To my utter surprise he mentioned that it is not a part of the scheduled maintenance. Need to check the owner's manual to confirm this.
I just checked. There is no cleaning of air filter scheduled during first service. The air filter directly gets replaced at 40,000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi,
I liked the looks and the stance of TUV300.

I have few queries:

Based on your feedback, I may consider TUV300 as my next car.
My wife too gets car sick pretty easily. The TUV does roll if you take corners fast. I am too a sedate driver and the 250 kms that I have driven in my TUV till date, not even once my wife complained. In fact she keeps telling me how safe and sturdy the TUV feels. (We owned a Ritz diesel before this.)

Engine noise is heard during acceleration as much you will hear in any other diesel car. It is not intrusive at all. While cruising the car is very silent. You cannot hear the engine or very faint hum if at all. I have driven it till 90 kmph for a short interval. So telling you based on my limited experience.

With regards to fatigue, since i own a AMT, the stress is reduced quite a bit and the high seating position gives you a good perspective of road and feels less panicky.

I will urge you to take an extensive test drive before making a decision.
TaurusAl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 20:41   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I PMed you my chassis as well as the registration number.
Through my SA I got your chassis number checked in the DMS system. Your car was listed only for the Vacuum modulator replacement. The FDM was not listed. So in all probability your car is already fitted with the FDM having new design.

On probing further into this recall, the service head told me that there could be about 10% cars (10 in hundred), which might have been impacted due to the faulty FDM. There is a small float inside this FDM assembly. There was a likelihood that this float would get dislocated if the car went on rough roads/ potholes etc. In the new design M&M has changed the dimensions/ tolerances, which would prevent this.

Quote:
I just checked. There is no cleaning of air filter scheduled during first service. The air filter directly gets replaced at 40,000 kms.
Strange isn't it. Our dusty roads are likely to choke the air filters prematurely, then why M&M is not considering cleaning of air filter at every scheduled service or is this filter design such robust that it won't get choked in any situation. If we are supposed to drive the car for 40K kms, without cleaning the filter even once, then the performance of the car is likely to deteriorate very badly towards the end of this 40K km run, experts please comment. I think a DIY air filter cleaning for TUV is a must.
Old 16th January 2016, 21:30   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Strange isn't it. Our dusty roads are likely to choke the air filters prematurely, then why M&M is not considering cleaning of air filter at every scheduled service or is this filter design such robust that it won't get choked in any situation. If we are supposed to drive the car for 40K kms, without cleaning the filter even once, then the performance of the car is likely to deteriorate very badly towards the end of this 40K km run, experts please comment. I think a DIY air filter cleaning for TUV is a must.
I don't think you should worry too much but in any case, removing an air filter and blowing off the dust using compressed air is easy and can be done at home.

Remember to direct the compressed air from the clean surface to the outside dirty surface (else you will force dirt through the filter).
Old 16th January 2016, 22:05   #579
BHPian

I bought a silver T8 AMT 3 weeks ago and haven't faced any issue till now. One night I thought the engine notice was a bit higher than usual but it became ok as the engine warmed up. I switched from SX4 and felt initially that engine is not as refined as that but now getting a hang of how AMT behaves and able to get the requisite power, and I feel torque is better than sx4 and delivery is different. AMT convenience is awesome. Will check with possible replacements when am due for first free service, which I think was after 3 months of buying. I had put the rain visor on Windows and feel that there is a wind notice at 80's.
BlueJay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 22:17   #580
BHPian

M&M USB Charger

This is a good accessory to have in the vehicle.The quality is good supports quick charging .It has 2 USB Slots and comes with cable having 3 connectors, Micro USB, I Phone and Samsung (Price about ₹600 I suppose, I took it gratis
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-charger-01.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-charger-02.jpg  

Last edited by Sirvoicar : 16th January 2016 at 22:28. Reason: i cant see the pictures (attachments)
Sirvoicar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 22:28   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Here is another picture of the FDM being taken out from the fuel tank. This picture was taken by my Service Advisor and shared with me on whatssapp.
Also known more commonly as fuel pump assembly. There is a small motor which sits inside, which is probably the part that is being replaced(if not the whole assembly).

If it is a known motor issue - get it fixed. Do not delay. The motor will typically give way without any warning. The engine will sputter and come to a halt. And, if you still do unfortunately get stranded, Tap(bang) the fuel tank from below with a wooden stick with a little force, if you are lucky chances are the motor will whirr and work flawlessly for a while enabling you to get to your destination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian;
On probing further into this recall, the service head told me that there could be about 10% cars (10 in hundred), which might have been impacted due to the faulty FDM. There is a small float inside this FDM assembly. There was a likelihood that this float would get dislocated if the car went on rough roads/ potholes etc. In the new design M&M has changed the dimensions/ tolerances, which would prevent this
The dislocated float could possibly squeeze the flexible fuel pipes which may lead to fuel supply getting lowered/cut which will cause the engine to stall.
The wooden stick approach may also be helpful if this is the case.

Since 'failing' fuel pumps fail more often when the fuel is low, maintain your fuel level on the higher side when you are driving around waiting for the assembly to be replaced.

How do I know? happened to me twice in my fiesta. The Gods were kind on both occasions, I was within 1Km of my place, so though I got stranded I wasn' t left high and dry.

Hope this helps.

PS: just curious, what is the make of the fuel pump motor?

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 16th January 2016 at 22:37.
cyberwhizs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 23:06   #582
BHPian

TUV300 - DRM
This exclusive feature in the TUV300 has been missed out in most reviews. The TUV300 is equipped with the latest digital Radio which is DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale) compliant .This is the latest in global Radio technology.

http://http://www.drm.org/

Not all channels transmit DRM signals at present. You can see the singers, song lyrics in some of the channels. AIR is also upgrading all its transmitters to this technology in phases. The TUV300 is among the first vehicles to be fitted with this latest in Global Radio technology.

You can activate it as follows..
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-drm-01.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-drm-02.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-drm-03.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-drm-04.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-drm-05.jpg  

Sirvoicar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 23:33   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Rahul, I haven't done long highway journeys of 300 to 600 km in my TUV yet. The max I did was 250 kms in a day. However I agree with Sirvoicar and TaurusAI's comments, the TUV is very comfortable for long drives. It does not tire you at all. If the car is fully loaded all the better. Typically ladder on frame cars drive and handle better when they are fully loaded. The steering is very precise and confidence inspiring. The high profile tyres make the ride very pliant and don't compromise much on handling. The high seating position give you a good view of the road ahead and results in lesser stress. Vibrations and road noise is very well controlled. Inspite of being a 3 potter the TUV's cabin is one of the more silents ones compared to other UVs. I won't be an exaggeration if I say that it is more silent than even the mighty Innova (having driven the Innova for one year). I cannot compare it with SX4 as I haven't driven it.

Quote:
Secondly, what do you think about car sickness in TUV300 compared to a petrol sedan? My daughter is little sensitive about this. I am a sedate driver and drive at around 80 - 100 kmph. Based on your feedback, I may consider TUV300 as my next car.
I would suggest take extensive test drives of the TUV along with your family and check out their comfort levels. If they have nothing to complain take the plunge.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 13:00   #584
BHPian

Quote:

I must add that the hand rest in the TUV300 play a very important role in minimising driver fatigue levels on long drives.Your deltoides are relaxed while resting your elbow on the Hand rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-hand-rest.jpg  

Sirvoicar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 13:11   #585
BHPian

TUV300 Keys

While taking delivery of my TUV300 I was briefed by the Sales Associate that I should keep one key safely at home (not in the car) so that it can be used in emergencies. I differed with him, as both keys are powered by Remote Keyless Entry features, the cell in the key will go dead if kept unused. Ideally both keys must be put to use; Or else the emergency key will not operate without a change of cell when needed. Physically the car can be opened but the Engine immobiliser system would need a powered key. Further, as these are programmed keys, losing one would be a big hassle I suppose. It is a good thought by M&M to mould the Emergency Toll Free Number on the keys.

I use both keys (One each week). Since I use similar Keychains, I have put a marker for differentiation.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-tuv300-keys-1.jpg  

Sirvoicar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks