Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2016, 12:03   #601
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant kar View Post
The Modulator is a small Electro-plastic part that is black in colour
Searched for this part on the pipe that leads from the EGR valve to the turbo and was unable to find it. I remember ntomer mentioning that when his tank was at the ajmer service center, they cut the pipe and inserted this black plastic part. This means that his car also did not have the modulator. Just spoke to my SA and asked him to talk to the service folks ASAP and share an update on what parts need to be replaced. Will update thread once i receive an update.
Old 18th January 2016, 12:51   #602
BHPian

This is my first post on Team-BHP. Happy to be here!

I have recently booked a white TUV 3OO T8 AMT and expecting delivery by early next week. I have gone for a Dec 2015 manufactured model as the dealer gave me a free comprehensive insurance (~40K).

I currently drive a SX4 VXI CNG, which is 3 years and 2 months old. The need for change is primarily on 3 counts –

1. I rarely use CNG, thanks to the long queues at the gas stations across Mumbai
2. Not using CNG makes insufficient boot space a much bigger compromise than what it actually is!
3. I drive 70+ Km in city each day and wanted to shift to an AT/AMT.

Above all, it was the ‘get a new car’ bug that’s bites every few years!

I told my SA about the recalls being discussed here and have asked him to check if my car would need any of these. While he agreed, I am not sure if he would actually check with the service center. I think once I get my tank, I’ll have to take it straight to the service center to verify the details. Question – if I don’t have relationship with the Service Advisor, will he/she actually look into the system and confirm that my car is (or isn’t) in the recall list? Especially, if these are ‘Green’ recalls as AutoIndian mentioned.

While I am super excited about the tank, I am a little worried as I am not used to breakdowns, RSAs and unscheduled repairs. Over the last 10+ years, I have moved from Swift LXi to Chevy Beat LT to MS SX4 VXI CNG and never faced any issues. I occasionally go on long drives (3-4 per year) and drive about 1200 KM per month.

Question to AMT owners – During my 2 TDs, I didn’t like the jerks on gear shifts, however have decided to live with it. Will the jerks get worse with time? Does the system need a lot of maintenance?
rajpvrm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 14:33   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajpvrm View Post

I have recently booked a white TUV 3OO T8 AMT and expecting delivery by early next week.

Welcome to team-bhp and to the tank family.

I told my SA about the recalls being discussed here and have asked him to check if my car would need any of these. While he agreed, I am not sure if he would actually check with the service center. I think once I get my tank, I’ll have to take it straight to the service center to verify the details. Question – if I don’t have relationship with the Service Advisor, will he/she actually look into the system and confirm that my car is (or isn’t) in the recall list? Especially, if these are ‘Green’ recalls as AutoIndian mentioned.

My service adviser immediately informed that there is a recall for the resonator fitment when I called her and she asked me to get the vehicle at any convenient time. The color of the alert is not a issue I guess if you call them on your own and inquire.

Question to AMT owners – During my 2 TDs, I didn’t like the jerks on gear shifts, however have decided to live with it. Will the jerks get worse with time? Does the system need a lot of maintenance?

I had completely rejected AMT after my first test drive. I finally took the plunge after 3 test drives which involved very steep inclines. Now I am very happy with the decision of buying an AMT as it has taken away major stress from my life.

Yes, the gear shifts are a bit jerky, especially downshifting while stopping and the up-shifts happen a bit slow, but compared to the convenience, the sacrifice is very little.
Also, when you talk about up-shifts are slow, we tend to compete with proper ATs or CVTs. We forget this is a conventional manual gear box with auto-shift and there will be a lag similarly as when you physically change gears pressing a clutch. The lag and the jerks are felt only when 'you' drive and the passengers wont feel anything.

Regarding maintenance, there is a periodic hydraulic oil change scheduled during services, just like your engine oil change after a certain kilometers. I am not sure but I think, the first hydraulic oil change is at 40k Kms.

One Advise - Be very careful in a bumper to bumper traffic while on inclines. It does take time getting used to stopping and starting on an incline due to absence of hill hold function. But once you master it using a handbrake, it's a breeze.

Last edited by TaurusAl : 18th January 2016 at 14:42.
TaurusAl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 19:37   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant kar View Post
The part where you have mentioned Modulator is actually the EGR Valve. The Modulator is a small Electro-plastic part that is black in colour. The other part that is the resonator (most commonly called Isolator) is nothing but a reserve vacuum chamber to assist EGR Valve. Mostly this is not required when the modulator and EGR hose functions smoothly to let the EGR valve open and shut.
Sharing so that everyone in the forum knows the parts that are being changed.
So far my tank has done 7600 kms. Vacuum modulator and FDM (fuel delivery module) have been changed and Vacuum Resonator has been added.
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
This means that my car does not have the vacuum modulator and hence I need to get this fixed before delivery Wonder why M&M has not fixed this during production and requires owners to proactively check and then fix.
This is under my Bonnet. A bit confused with the nomenclature of the 2 parts. My service Bill showed a Resonator was Replaced/Fixed . Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-turbo.jpg  

Old 18th January 2016, 21:19   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirvoicar View Post
This is under my Bonnet. A bit confused with the nomenclature of the 2 parts. My service Bill showed a Resonator was Replaced/Fixed . Hope this helps
Thanks Sirvoicar. Spoke to the Service head today afternoon and he confirmed that there is no recall for any of the parts for my car. I specifically asked him about the resonator & FDM modules a little more and he mentioned that this problem was know to them by mid Dec and hence M&M has fixed it. The demons in my head have been put to sleep and I hope M&M has actually fixed the problems and not just let is slide.
Old 18th January 2016, 21:25   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is my first post on Team-BHP. Happy to be here! I have recently booked a white TUV 3OO T8 AMT and expecting delivery by early next week.
Welcome to TBHP and the TUV owner's club rajpvrm. Many congratulations on booking a white TUV 3OO T8 AMT. Here's wishing you a speedy delivery and happy ownership with the TUV

Quote:
if I don’t have relationship with the Service Advisor, will he/she actually look into the system and confirm that my car is (or isn’t) in the recall list? Especially, if these are ‘Green’ recalls as AutoIndian mentioned.
Obviously you will have to build good rapport with the dealership sales folks. They are obliged to answer your query regarding the recall. In case they show attitude, you can contact the Area Sales Manager for Mumbai by sending a mail to customercare@mahindra.com

Quote:
While I am super excited about the tank, I am a little worried as I am not used to breakdowns, RSAs and unscheduled repairs. Over the last 10+ years, I have moved from Swift LXi to Chevy Beat LT to MS SX4 VXI CNG and never faced any issues. I occasionally go on long drives (3-4 per year) and drive about 1200 KM per month.
Please make up your mind before your take the delivery of TUV. Any newly launched product goes through the cycle of initial teething troubles. Though Mahindra has applied its learnings from the XUV to the TUV, no one can expect the TUV to be absolutely niggle free. I knew about this very well and was prepared for it. Going for a newly launched car (that too from an homegrown manufacturer) was a big gamble, however the robust (3 year/ 1,00,000 km) standard company warranty, wide service network and the customer centric attitude were the three pillars of my faith in brand Mahindra and its product TUV and I am happy to inform that my faith is still intact after 2 months (3000 kms) of ownership.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 10:40   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
One Advise - Be very careful in a bumper to bumper traffic while on inclines. It does take time getting used to stopping and starting on an incline due to absence of hill hold function. But once you master it using a handbrake, it's a breeze.
Thanks TaurusAI. Will keep your advise in mind and be a little cautious initially. I do face bumper to bumper traffic on my way to work everyday and have to cross many flyovers! I think I’ll also find it a little difficult to change lanes with the huge tank in bad traffic initially. On free and level roads, it was a breeze to drive the TUV3OO during the TDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Welcome to TBHP and the TUV owner's club rajpvrm. Many congratulations on booking a white TUV 3OO T8 AMT. Here's wishing you a speedy delivery and happy ownership with the TUV
Thanks a lot, AutoIndian.

Quote:
Obviously you will have to build good rapport with the dealership sales folks. They are obliged to answer your query regarding the recall. In case they show attitude, you can contact the Area Sales Manager for Mumbai by sending a mail to customercare@mahindra.com
Agree. Once I get the engine/chassis numbers of my car, I'll write to the customer care and also check with the local service center to confirm if any replacements are required.

Quote:
Please make up your mind before your take the delivery of TUV. Any newly launched product goes through the cycle of initial teething troubles. Though Mahindra has applied its learnings from the XUV to the TUV, no one can expect the TUV to be absolutely niggle free. I knew about this very well and was prepared for it. Going for a newly launched car (that too from an homegrown manufacturer) was a big gamble, however the robust (3 year/ 1,00,000 km) standard company warranty, wide service network and the customer centric attitude were the three pillars of my faith in brand Mahindra and its product TUV and I am happy to inform that my faith is still intact after 2 months (3000 kms) of ownership.
Good to know that you are happy with the tank! As far as these niggles are few and rare, its acceptable. I only hope I don’t get stranded on a highway! Also, it’s good that there are only 2 or 3 known problems (which M&M seems to have fixed in cars being manufactured now) and no other issues. I should have gone for the Jan 2016 manufactured car like Sirvoicar but fell for the ~40K insurance free offer and took a mid Dec 2015 car.

I fell in love with the looks of the TUV, the space inside and the fact that it’s an affordable 7 seater with an AMT (if not AT). I mentally prepare myself to accept a few niggles for this super package!

How’s the mobile APP? Apart from keeping a manual entry of fuel fills, service due dates and controlling the radio are there any interesting features? Honda is widely marketing their app which apparently provides vehicle health monitoring, impact alert and car locate services.
Old 19th January 2016, 11:10   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks TaurusAI. Will keep your advise in mind and be a little cautious initially. I do face bumper to bumper traffic on my way to work everyday and have to cross many flyovers! I think I’ll also find it a little difficult to change lanes with the huge tank in bad traffic initially. On free and level roads, it was a breeze to drive the TUV3OO during the TDs.
TUV is absolutely breeze in traffic. Don't worry about it. Changing lanes or taking U-Turns, you wont face any problem once you get used to the size.

Quote:
How’s the mobile APP? Apart from keeping a manual entry of fuel fills, service due dates and controlling the radio are there any interesting features? Honda is widely marketing their app which apparently provides vehicle health monitoring, impact alert and car locate services.
I use Fuel Buddy available on Google play. It takes back-up on google drive so you have peace of mind if your phone gets formatted or crashes.
TaurusAl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 11:17   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I use Fuel Buddy available on Google play. It takes back-up on google drive so you have peace of mind if your phone gets formatted or crashes.
Thanks TaurusAI. I was referring to 'Mahindra Blue Sense TUV 3OO App'. Have you tried it?
Old 19th January 2016, 12:55   #610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
fell for the ~40K insurance free offer and took a mid Dec 2015 car.
FYI - Insurance for a T8 AMT 2015 model should cost around 25-27K including Zero dep. Hence your dealer is inflating insurance price to indicate higher discount. You should call Bajaj or ICICI or any of the other insurance providers & get a quote on mail. Use this to negotiate with the dealer for more freebies if you still want to purchase 2015 model. Do ensure that you are not getting a test drive car or touched up car as the demand for the TUV was always greater than the supply and personally I would be wary of old stock.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 13:44   #611
BHPian

Quote:
FYI - Insurance for a T8 AMT 2015 model should cost around 25-27K including Zero dep. Hence your dealer is inflating insurance price to indicate higher discount. You should call Bajaj or ICICI or any of the other insurance providers & get a quote on mail. Use this to negotiate with the dealer for more freebies if you still want to purchase 2015 model. Do ensure that you are not getting a test drive car or touched up car as the demand for the TUV was always greater than the supply and personally I would be wary of old stock.
You are right on the cost of the insurance, procrj. I checked on Policy Bazar and an insurance with zero dep costs sub 30K. However, Mahindra Global Gallarie (Thane)'s price sheet said comprehensive insurance is 39K and Zero Dep at an additional 7.5K - combined an exorbitant 46.5K! To add to it, the Sales Advisor said I am not allowed to take insurance for first year from outside!

Note, he discussed these numbers when I was checking for a 2016 model only. A few days later, when I was checking on how quickly I can get the car he suggested I go for a 2015 model and that they will give the comprehensive insurance (without zero dep) free. Let go other freebies, they are not even ready to give mud flaps.

Last weekend, I asked the dealer how old the car is and what will be the odometer reading? He said its 24 days old (so should be mid-Dec mfg.) and when I take the car the ODO should read less than 20-30 Km.

I have told the dealer that I would like to see the car pre-registration (should be this Thursday/Friday). I'll verify the chassis number to check if it is a Dec 2015 manufactured car and will check the ODO (which I guess can be tampered anyway). Anything else that you suggest I check to be sure on the age and whether it was used for TD?

Last edited by rajpvrm : 19th January 2016 at 14:11.
Old 19th January 2016, 16:20   #612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To add to it, the Sales Advisor said I am not allowed to take insurance for first year from outside!
You can escalate this to Mahindra customer care. There is not hard & fast rule that you have to take insurance from the dealer. This is just the dealer making money.
Quote:
Anything else that you suggest I check to be sure on the age and whether it was used for TD?
The only fool proof method that I can think of is using the OBD data. Get an OBD II reader and use an app like torque pro. I remember reading that ODB records distance covered with the check engine light off. This data should be an ideal approximation of actual distance that the car has run. For more details on OBD II and torque pro, check A4anurag's thread or Dr.AD's thread on OBD and data it shares.
Old 19th January 2016, 18:42   #613
BHPian

Quote:
FYI - Insurance for a T8 AMT 2015 model should cost around 25-27K including Zero dep. Hence your dealer is inflating insurance price to indicate higher discount. You should call Bajaj or ICICI or any of the other insurance providers & get a quote on mail. Use this to negotiate with the dealer for more freebies if you still want to purchase 2015 model.
Quote:
You are right on the cost of the insurance, procrj. I checked on Policy Bazar and an insurance with zero dep costs sub 30K. However, Mahindra Global Gallarie (Thane)'s price sheet said comprehensive insurance is 39K and Zero Dep at an additional 7.5K - combined an exorbitant 46.5K! To add to it, the Sales Advisor said I am not allowed to take insurance for first year from outside!

I can share my experience here, procrj/rajpvrm. I had done a comprehensive exercise the best insurance premium 2 years ago. It helped me when I bought the TUV300.

I have paid ₹22,443 (Comprehensive ,Zero Dep) ▼ for the T8 to L&T Insurance. Everything was done online and it took 48 hrs after paying the company. As soon as your vehicle is ready (Alloted and dispatched from Pune Plant) take the Engine and Chassis No. from the Dealer send it to L&T Insurance along with a copy of the Proforma Invoice. They will give you a quote.Pay the Premium through NEFT. You will be mailed a eCopy of the Insurance Certificate. Give this to the dealer for Registration of the Vehicle.

Further on, I also told them that I will Register the car myself. It takes half a day. I told them the RTO in mimbai wants to discourage the touts/agents and you being manufacturers are appointing agents for this job asking for 10 k from customers for registering New cars. A full time employee to do this job will be much cheaper. I told them you have full right to make commission on the car, but taking commission on insurance and Registration seem very cheap.

Ultimately the manager intervened and told me and pleaded to let them do the Registration, however he gave me accessories worth the amount Free. I took the Charger, set of 7 premium Mats, Chromes for rear reflectors, Car Cover, and Mud Flaps. From the money I saved from the insurance I got seat covers and still saved 10k overall.

If you can pull this off (or better my deal), you can give me a treat.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-insurance-premium.jpg  

Sirvoicar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 20:36   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirvoicar View Post
If you can pull this off (or better my deal), you can give me a treat.
Sirvoicar - you are a genius!

I did negotiate on the insurance and quoted the rates from Policy Bazaar. After some debate, the dealer said they'll give a discount of upto 30% on the insurance. This was for the 2016 model; for the Dec'2015 one they agreed for a free comprehensive insurance (40K as per them, ~23K in reality - for T8 AMT).

Never thought of the RTO part, good move :thumbup:. I pushed them hard for free basic accessories (mats, mud flaps, seat covers) but in vain.

I did get a 'whopping' 5% discount on accessories... :rolleyes:

You rock!

Last edited by rajpvrm : 19th January 2016 at 21:02.
Old 20th January 2016, 09:57   #615
BHPian

TUV300 : Rain water drain system

Though it hasn't rained since the TUV300 was launched, I had a close look at the vehicles rain water drain system. I must say, it is very well designed in this car. Proper slopes are given in the mould below the wipers, which leads to an opening connected to a thick drain pipe (PICS ▼ ). We can expect to see no Corrosion in this area over the years, I suppose.

There is also no unreachable dead space where dry leaves can get accumulated over time.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-rain-water-03.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-rain-water-022.jpeg  

Sirvoicar is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed