Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2016, 13:08   #796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

I did a full tank yesterday and checked the mileage. I just got 11.30 kmpl (475 kms consumed 42 litres) in 100% city (Bengaluru) driving in eco mode and eco AC. I have completed 2160 kms as of now and yet to go for first servicing. Is this mileage ok for city driving? Mine is T8 MT.
Old 29th February 2016, 17:05   #797
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I did a full tank yesterday and checked the mileage. I just got 11.30 kmpl (475 kms consumed 42 litres) in 100% city (Bengaluru) driving in eco mode and eco AC.
Based on the milage reported by Autoindian, it seems low. Comparing it to his numbers as he also primarily drives in city but I am not sure about his average speed/distance as that could impact FE. I think around 13 - 13.5 is what you can expect in city diving conditions.

My FE is hovering just below 15 kmpl but that is because ~90% of my driving in on highways.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-fe-tank-feb.png

OT: My Hampi travelogue - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ire-hampi.html
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 23:06   #798
BHPian

Booked a T8 Manual in Red colour. Expecting delivery by mid-March. Can't wait to get my hands on the tank.
Thanks to all of you for the detailed review. The niggles I hope have all been sorted out.
rishee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 08:30   #799
BHPian

QUOTE=rishee;3922850]Booked a T8 Manual in Red colour. Expecting delivery by mid-March. Can't wait to get my hands on the tank.
Thanks to all of you for the detailed review. The niggles I hope have all been sorted out.[/quote]

First of all, congratulations to you. what a way to post your first post.
I hope, you have taken into considetation the budget impact.
Did you mean that all niggles are 'identified'? 'Sorted out' seems to be too much to ask as of now.
By the way, can you share the quotation you got?

Last edited by Inner Voice : 1st March 2016 at 08:38. Reason: Spelling mistake due to auto complete
Old 1st March 2016, 09:02   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Voice View Post
First of all, congratulations to you. what a way to post your first post.
I hope, you have taken into consideration the budget impact.
I booked it sometime last week, so lucky me, just escaped the budget impact.

Quote:
Did you mean that all niggles are 'identified'? 'Sorted out' seems to be too much to ask as of now.
My reference was to the vacuum resonator and other parts recall. Since I would be getting a 2016 model, I am assuming M&M would have already replaced these parts before delivering the vehicles to the customer

Quote:
By the way, can you share the quotation you got?
Attached is the quotation (Ex Thane W/o LBT).
P.S. I agreed to visit the RTO office myself, else the dealer was charging me 15K extra for the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-tuv-costing.jpg  

rishee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 10:06   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did a full tank yesterday and checked the mileage. I just got 11.30 kmpl (475 kms consumed 42 litres) in 100% city (Bengaluru) driving in eco mode and eco AC. I have completed 2160 kms as of now and yet to go for first servicing. Is this mileage ok for city driving? Mine is T8 MT.
I think the mileage of 11.30 kmpl with 100% city (Bengaluru) driving conditions that you have getting is quite OK. Bumper to bumper driving in city conditions takes a heavy toll on FE for an engine with smaller capacity. If you do a 500-600 kms highway drive, I can guarantee your mileage will shoot to at least 14-15 kmpl. Sincei it very early days for the engine and the car take it easy. After about 5K kms on the odo you should get a steady mileage, which would definitely be better than what you are getting now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Based on the milage reported by Autoindian, it seems low. Comparing it to his numbers as he also primarily drives in city but I am not sure about his average speed/distance as that could impact FE. I think around 13 - 13.5 is what you can expect in city diving conditions.
My driving conditions in Pune here are definitely better than Bengaluru. I start @ 08:00am in the morning so get very little traffic. In the evenings I get caught up in traffic sometimes. My daily commute is 40 kms. Yes the distance you cover daily also makes a difference. Engine should get sufficient time/distance to warm-up and run at optimum temperature

Quote:
My FE is hovering just below 15 kmpl but that is because ~90% of my driving in on highways.
I think your's is the best FE on our forum (unless I have missed out better figures quoted by someone else & I agree the 90% of highway running is a major contributing factor)

Great and thanks for sharing the travelogue. Will go through it in leisure time. This is one of my mostly awaited trips. Will definitely take some tips from you for this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishee View Post
Booked a T8 Manual in Red colour. Expecting delivery by mid-March. Can't wait to get my hands on the tank.
Thanks to all of you for the detailed review. The niggles I hope have all been sorted out.
COngratulations rishee & welcome to the club

On a side note, I want to share two observations with the car since yesterday. Monday was a bit hectic for me and did almost 100 kms of driving within the city. The trip A meter was at 640 kms, when I reached home and the DTE was showing around 163 kms. Somewhere in the middle of the day I observed the "Spanner" symbol on my instrument cluster (refer the picture below). I assumed it to be a service reminder and hence did not bother much. No other observations throughout the day

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-spanner-symbol-odo1.jpg

Today morning when I started for office, I had decided to do a tankful at the Shell bunk, which is 7kms from my home on the way to office. When I started the car I observed the engine sound is higer than normal. I thought it might be due to the cold engine. However along with increased sound I also observed loss of power. As soon I would reach the 1500 rpm mark on the tacho, instead of hearing the sweet turbo whistle, I would hear some gruff sound & feel that the car is not pulling as expected. This continued for the next 3-4 kms till I reached the bunk. Did a tankful, 46.11 litres for a distance of 647 kms (giving a mileage of 14.03 kmpl. After I did the tankful the car/ engine started behaving normally. I muted the radio to listed to the turbo whistle & it was back, now there was no hesitation at the 1500 rpm mark. For the next 14 odd kms, it was a perfect drive.

I want to ask did the above happen because of low fuel in the tank (mind you DTE was still showing 163 kms, which means at least 11-12 litres fuel was balance in the the tank). Or is this related to the spanner symbol appearing on the instrument panel. If it would be the latter then the hesitation and gruff sound would appear continuously, but that was not the case. After doing the tankful car started driving perfectly fine.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 11:07   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Airbus, I personally think it should be more than this. But would suggest you wait till the first service is completed at 3K and then start observing. As of now, my last 2 fills have given me 12.29 and 12.98 - all AC city drive in Mumbai for T8 AMT.

Quote:
Congratulations, rishee! And welcome to the club. You should not have vacuum modulator, resonator and FDM issues in your tank, expect these to be fixed at plant it self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I want to ask did the above happen because of low fuel in the tank (mind you DTE was still showing 163 kms, which means at least 11-12 litres fuel was balance in the the tank). Or is this related to the spanner symbol appearing on the instrument panel. If it would be the latter then the hesitation and gruff sound would appear continuously, but that was not the case. After doing the tankful car started driving perfectly fine.
AutoIndian, this should not be because of the low fuel. As you know, I drove my car last week till the DTE reached 19 and didn't observe any change in noise or performance. I am surprised why the spanner sign came up? If there's a problem, shouldn't the check engine sign come up instead?
rajpvrm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 12:43   #803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I booked it sometime last week, so lucky me, just escaped the budget impact
Congrats rishee & hope you have a great delivery experience. You might want to check for quotes from online insurance portals as they are much lower than what the dealer quotes. I got my zero dep insurance for the T8 Manual at 25K.

Quote:
Somewhere in the middle of the day I observed the "Spanner" symbol on my instrument cluster (refer the picture below). I assumed it to be a service reminder and hence did not bother much
Same here. The spanner sign came on when I was driving to Hampi but was not alarmed as I knew that this was a service reminder. I think the service duration in the ECU software is not the same as the recommended duration in the owners manual, which could be the reason for this. What was your odo when this came on? Mine was around 4500 kms.

Quote:
I would hear some gruff sound & feel that the car is not pulling as expected. This continued for the next 3-4 kms till I reached the bunk. Did a tankful, 46.11 litres for a distance of 647 kms (giving a mileage of 14.03 kmpl. After I did the tankful the car/ engine started behaving normally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajpvrm View Post
AutoIndian, this should not be because of the low fuel.
I second that. During the recent trip I did not refuel till the DTE was showing 70 kms but I did not see any change in power or engine noise. You might want to get this checked if it repeats again.

Last edited by procrj : 1st March 2016 at 12:46.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 14:17   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Somewhere in the middle of the day I observed the "Spanner" symbol on my instrument cluster (refer the picture below). I assumed it to be a service reminder and hence did not bother much.
Quote:
What was your odo when this came on?
Yes AutoIndian, it has nothing to do with your car mechanical's. Based on the picture attached it is the service reminder which has shown up once you have crossed 4500Km (your ODO reads 4518), so it has to be that. I believe that spanner symbol is still there on your console and it will be cleared once the service is done and the reminder is cleared at the service center through a laptop. I would suggest you to make a note of this and let them know when you go for service, might be the fuel is clogging for some strange reason.
fusionbang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 14:43   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same here. The spanner sign came on when I was driving to Hampi but was not alarmed as I knew that this was a service reminder. I think the service duration in the ECU software is not the same as the recommended duration in the owners manual, which could be the reason for this. What was your odo when this came on? Mine was around 4500 kms
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Yes AutoIndian, it has nothing to do with your car mechanical's. Based on the picture attached it is the service reminder which has shown up once you have crossed 4500Km (your ODO reads 4518), so it has to be that. I believe that spanner symbol is still there on your console and it will be cleared once the service is done and the reminder is cleared at the service center through a laptop. I would suggest you to make a note of this and let them know when you go for service, might be the fuel is clogging for some strange reason.
Both of you are right. It must have come up when I crossed the 4500 km mark. So if this spanner symbol has nothing to do other than serve as a service reminder, I am puzzled why the hesitation around 1500 rpm mark, with increased engine sound and apparently loss in power. I hope it to be a minor glitch and should not repeat again. I don't doubt the fuel quality as I have always tanked up from Shell bunk. Also on the same fuel, no issues whatsoever till the car had run 640 kms. And then after doing the tankful, the problem vanished completely. Hmnn puzzling times ahead. Will keep on observing if this behaviour repeats and update here.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 19:00   #806
BHPian

I did a TD of the car in Bangalore a couple of weeks back. The vehicle was almost new.
I just loved the amount of space in the car of this size, almost wishing the Duster had jump seats like the one in this car. The utility of the third row seats for kids is just great (dump luggage on the floor in the middle and under the seats and spread a sheet on top for kids to lie down )
But the engine performance was a absolutely uninspiring. Move the car into second and you can almost sense the engine begging for more fuel to burn and move forward. It takes its own sweet time to accelerate. Almost like my Ford Figo - the second gear is just a notch to move through to third after pushing the revs up to the max in the first.
This made the car a non starter for me.
srivibhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 19:59   #807
BHPian

Quote:
. Somewhere in the middle of the day I observed the "Spanner" symbol on my instrument cluster (refer the picture below). I assumed it to be a service reminder and hence did not bother much. No other observations throughout the day

Today morning when I started for office, I had decided to do a tankful at the Shell bunk, which is 7kms from my home on the way to office. When I started the car I observed the engine sound is higer than normal.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-spanner-symbol-odo1-1.jpg

Continuous glowing of this symbol after the Engine is started indicates of a potential malfunction related to emission control. It is present in all cars, it generally activates after the vehicle is used for more than 5/6 years. If it has gone OFF, I suppose, there should be no cause of worry.

Last edited by Sirvoicar : 1st March 2016 at 20:06.
Sirvoicar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 20:26   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Not Sure if this is the right place , we need to buy 3 vehicles for our office to carry 2-4 persons on combination of urban / rural roads & for occasional delivery of material which can weight maximum 200-300 Kg.
When you are buying three vehicles the dealer is going to oblige a bit more during test drives. Discuss your need with the dealer, then pick up 50 kg weights from their wheel alignment bay, and keep five in the luggage space, check tyre pressure and top up upto whatever is recommended for full load,then with 4 people in the vehicle see how it handles. Handling often changes when you have 150+ kg in the rear.
My workers often have to travel with tools weighing more than 60 kg, and we keep the tools in two bags in the space between the seats, to offset this issue.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 13:45   #809

Please refer to procrj's post of 20 Feb. In particular, the snapshot. In it, please look at the top row of light indicators. I'm talking about the yellow indicator which is 3rd one from right. I have not been able to figure out what it is indicating. It comes on when you rotate the fog lights knob fully, but there is no change in any of the lights. Please can anybody wise me up. Thank you.
Old 2nd March 2016, 14:11   #810
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by injun269 View Post
I'm talking about the yellow indicator which is 3rd one from right. I have not been able to figure out what it is indicating. It comes on when you rotate the fog lights knob fully, but there is no change in any of the lights. Please can anybody wise me up. Thank you.
That is the indicator for rear fog lamps. You can only see it if you get down and walk to the rear
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed